Part Two; Coping

Mina's Been Chaeting

Nayeon

 

Needless to say, it was untolerable for Nayeon to spend time around Mina and Chaeyoung anymore.

 

Individually, it was fine. Nayeon had no problem being with just Mina; it was really like a guilty pleasure. Despite the fact that she knew she shouldn’t be trying to capture Mina’s heart once again, since it already belonged to Chaeyoung, she still tried. She still initiated skinship, still kissed Mina, still slept in the same bed as her whenever she could. She still tried to be the best for Mina.

 

Guilty pleasure, indeed.

 

And as for Chaeyoung, Nayeon really didn’t mind being with just her, either. The way Chaeyoung acted around Nayeon, it was almost as if she was guilty for taking Mina away from Nayeon. Instead of trying to be funny (and ending up making Nayeon cringe) and taking after Jeongyeon, she acted more mature. More sober. Instead of mischievious grins and deep, hearty laughs, Chaeyoung was all soft smiles and quiet, short bursts of laughter. Nayeon felt bad whenever she admitted it to herself, but she liked this new Chaeyoung better.

 

But Mina and Chaeyoung together? That was a whole different story altogether.

 

Occasionally, Nayeon would be subject to an unfortunate outing with the other two. Whether it was going to the movies, a café, a restaurant, or simply the library (Mina checked out books every other day and sometimes brought Chaeyoung and Nayeon with her), Nayeon would be forced to stay with the other two and witness their not-so-discreet cuddling and flirting. Of course, she’d pretend to ignore it, but it broke her heart every single time she saw it happen. Thus, she tried to avoid going out with the two, and let them go by themselves, even though she only grew more sad imagining the things they’d do.

 

Two girls madly, hopelessly in love.

 

Wasn’t that what Mina and Nayeon had used to be?

 

Nayeon wanted nothing more at this point than for the other members to return.

 

She wanted to be distracted by Sana, Tzuyu, and Dahyun’s antics. She wanted to talk with Jeongyeon. She wanted to sleep beside Momo and hug her tight to her chest, so she’d be comforted by the thought of someone else by her side. She wanted to go out on another “date” with Jihyo.

 

Anything to save her from this pain and misery that wracked her whole body daily.

 

Even now, as Nayeon sat, alone, in her room, with Mina and Chaeyoung at some café somewhere, tears were streaming down her face. She couldn’t stop the image of Mina feeding Chaeyoung lovingly from entering her head. The way Mina’s eyes would sparkle when they landed on Chaeyoung, the way the corners of would curl up and her lips would part to reveal that adorable gummy smile when she talked to Chaeyoung, the blush that spread across her face when she was touching Chaeyoung...

 

Why Nayeon?

 

She couldn’t tolerate it.

 

To: Momoring & Jeongyeon Oppa

help me

 

One text was all it took.

 

Two seconds later, Nayeon’s phone started to buzz.

 

With a shaking hand, she picked it up, raising it to her ear. “H-hello?” she said, managing to choke out the words.

 

“Nayeon?”

 

Tears only continued to spill down Nayeon’s cheeks when those familiar, comforting voices filled her ear.

 

“Geez, Nayeon, you crying?” Jeongyeon asked, her voice exasperated and worried. Momo made a noise resembling the sound Mina made when she was confused – “Eh?”–

and yelled, “Nabongs, don’t cry! Otherwise I won’t come back to you!”

 

A typical group call.

 

Who knew it would be the source of all of Nayeon’s emotions? Her happiness, her sadness, her anger?

 

Everything poured out.

 

Nayeon was glad Jeongyeon and Momo stayed quiet as she rattled off the events that had happened recently to them. They were dead silent, absorbing all the information Nayeon was feeding them. (At least, Jeongyeon was. Nayeon wasn’t so sure about Momo.) And

Nayeon was glad they wouldn’t interrupt her with “Are you okay?” whenever she paused to let herself get over the harder sobbing that would inevitably take over her words if she didn’t stop.

 

God, she missed them.

 

“So...Mina’s practically dating Chaeyoung now,” Jeongyeon mumbled. There was a certain quality to her voice that made Nayeon suspect she wasn’t surprised.

 

Nayeon was correct.

 

She managed to catch Jeongyeon’s quickly muttered “Thought so,” and snapped, “What do you mean, you thought so?”

 

“I thought so too!” Momo chimed, quickly going silent as soon as Nayeon growled into the speaker.

 

God, she wished they wouldn’t come back.

 

“Nayeon,  you know we text Chaeyoung a lot,” Jeongyeon said gently, no doubt sensing the outburst of rage that would soon come from Nayeon unless she was consoled somehow. “Not so much Mina, but you know that we all text Chaeyoung daily. And she usually gives us the whole gist of things.”

 

“Basically, you’ve all known about this and you never bothered to say anything to me,” Nayeon accused, feeling betrayed. Could it really get any worse?

 

“It’s not like I didn’t want to hear your side of the story!” Momo blurted out, quickly correcting herself. “I mean, it’s not like we didn’t want to hear your side of the story.”

 

“Good going, Momo,” Jeongyeon said sarcastically.

 

No one spoke after that. The silence between all of them was occasionally broken by coughs (Jeongyeon) and small sniffles (Nayeon), and the rare sneeze (Momo), but other than that, words did not fill the empty space that was present. Nayeon knew Jeongyeon and Momo had chosen their sides, and felt guilty for doing so. As a result, they were reluctant to say anything on the matter, despite how much they wished to. The anger that had filled Nayeon before melted, replaced by a wave of love for the two younger girls. They were just and fair, and trusted Nayeon enough to make her own decision on the matter.

 

God, she really missed them now.

 

“Alright, I know you guys don’t wanna talk to me,” Nayeon said good-naturedly, grinning as Momo and Jeongyeon started to protest. “What? No! It’s not like that!”

“Nabongs, don’t be like that!” They’re such idiots.

 

“Goodbye,” Nayeon said curtly, relishing in the way she was teasing them – they didn’t even know. Without another word, Nayeon hung up, then collapsed on her bed, unable to hold in her laughter any longer. She let it all out, a flood of laughter from where there had been a flood of tears. Sunshine, where there had been rain.

 

Happiness, but with lingering sadness.

 

The interactions gave her an idea.

 

Nayeon sat up straight, her eyes widening as she realized how smart the idea was.

 

I’m a genius.

 

Sure, she wasn’t exactly sure if it would help her cope with the whole Mina and Chaeyoung thing. There was a chance it’d only make her feel worse.

 

But at the same time, she was eager to try.

 

Of course.

 

If ignoring and mulling over it didn’t help, would...

 

Would teasing help?

 

After all, Nayeon always fellow members. Laughter was the best medicine. And hopefully, that would remain true in this case.

 

Perhaps she would be able to get over it.

 

Perhaps she would be able to be happy for them.

 

Perhaps.

 

Nayeon’s grin only grew wider as she grabbed her phone and sent a quick text to Mina.

 

Guess what? I finally found out.

 

I found out that Mina’s been Chaeting.

 

And I’ll never let them forget it.

 

...God, Nayeon was such a genius.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i'm baaaack!!!

lol i'm back pretty quickly ain't i

hopefully i'll be back again, i'm thinking of focusing on this story mainly then finishing lost (for any of you reading that lol)

k see ya