Doojoon

One Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tied by Ribbons

 

I could always see the strings of fate. They looked like red lights of ribbon blowing in the breeze. It was a beautiful sight but it was also sad. Rarely did I see the ends of these ribbons meet. And when a soul mate died, they shriveled up and turned black. That was the worst thing to witness.

There was one more thing that made me different than anyone else. I didn't have a red string of fate. Never did. In this entire world there was no one that was destined to be my soul mate.

Doojoon's POV

I stared at the clock. This business meeting had already gone an hour pass scheduled. We went around in circles until eventually I had to call it quits. I sent them off and told them to revise their strategies and we'd all meet again next week. It was the only way I was going to get home at a decent time.

I stared at the ring on my finger. Even though I continued to wear the wedding band it didn't mean I had anyone waiting at home for me.

My wife had died many years ago. At first it was impossible to get out of bed and then, it got easier. I could swallow food, even if it no longer had a taste. Work, home, eat, and sleep was all my life was now.

They say everyone had one person they were destined to be with. I always said that was a load of bull. But now... I couldn't see myself ever falling in love again.

End POV

"Watch it!"

I jerked back when a delivery bike rushed past me. Once again I had found myself zoning out. A few years ago I found it hard to focus on things. My vision would turn into black and red lines. I figured it was a side affect of seeing fates. Something like that couldn't be easy on the mind.

It was late and I was hungry. Nearby was a food tent, usually run by a single ahjumma. These were always cozy places to go. It was mostly single people ending their work day. That was best for me. Seeing soul mates together was sickening but seeing two people together that weren't soul mates was heartbreaking.

"Two soju and chicken feet please." I ordered and grabbed a corner table.

There were only two other people in here, different tables. Their red lines went in opposite directions. Perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better night. The Ahjumma herself had never married so she was tolerable to be around.

Just then a man walked in.

His presence was heavy and I placed a hand on my heart. Falling from his wrist was a blackened string. His soul mate had died. From his expression I could tell it was long ago but the pain was still fresh.

This wasn't good. I needed to leave. The pain that rolled off of him was nauseating. If I didn't get out of here now I would faint. 

"Are you okay?" The ahjumma spoke to me but I couldn't respond. I stumbled to my feet but everything was blurry. They would think I was drunk and I wished it was true. I hadn't even opened my soju yet.

Strong hands caught me. It was the one in pain. I gasped. Only once before had I touched someone with a burnt string, it had nearly killed me. His pain was being absorbed by me and I couldn't control it.

"Don't touch me." I shoved him away and fell down blacking out.

 

Loud beeping woke me. It only took a second to figure out where I was. "Not the hospital." This was the worst place to be. Soul mates died here everyday. The agony filled this building.

I sat up but I couldn't see straight. "Don't move." A nurse grabbed my shoulder. I took her hand. This is what I needed. She was someone that had found their soul mate. These people always gave off extra energy. I needed that right now. 

"Thank you." I shoved past her but I was stopped.

The man from before grabbed my wrist. "You fainted, don't try to leave. I can take care of the bill if that's what this is about."

How do you tell someone that their presence alone was painful? It was no fault of his which made it worse.

Doojoon's POV

She looked like she was in a lot of pain. I knew that pain, had felt it everyday since my wife died. She struggled to get out of my grasp but I was worried she'd faint again. I couldn't let her leave the hospital without a proper check up.

"Don't touch me." She pleaded. 

The nurse grabbed her from behind and I saw her visibly soften. Something was physically wrong with her. Another nurse and doctor came over to see what the ruckus was and helped lift the girl that had fainted again. 

They sent me out while they ran tests on her.

I twiddled my thumbs while in the waiting room. There was no real reason for me to stay here. I didn't know the girl, she was a stranger. Still, I felt a sort of obligation to her.

My hand tingled from where I held her wrist. A strange sensation filled me whenever I had touched her. Perhaps it was the stressful situation but I was curious. Even though it was a stressful situation, peace had filled me.

Like all the pain I had felt these past few years was getting away.

I'm sure it was a coincidence but I was curious to find out.

End POV

I glanced out the door. There was no way I was staying here a moment longer. They had folded my clothes neatly on a chair and I was quick to change. It was irritating to realize I had fainted again. There had to be a way to control it, to block out their pain long enough to escape.

I nearly fell on my when I rounded the corner only to see the same guy that had caused all of this mess. If he saw me he wouldn't let me go. Even if he didn't realize it, he would be drawn to me. Only because of the pain I absorbed from him. 

The last person who had discovered this almost killed me. He was imprisoned now, drowning in his own pain. I suddenly realized his release date was soon.

A sigh left the stranger's lips. He turned and sat in one of the chairs. Drat. I looked back the way I came and noted a cart with meds on it. The bottom portion was covered by a cloth. Hopefully this would turn into a typical drama where I'd make a grand escape.

I ducked underneath when a nurse started coming this way.

"When did this get so heavy?" I bowed my head. What a confidence booster that was.

We rolled past the stranger. I was shocked when he looked up and watched the cart leave. Could he tell I was here? That was kind of scary.

Once the cart stopped I peaked under the cloth and made a break for it. Without causing too much of a stir I had finally made it out. I took in a deep breath of fresh air.

All of the pain from the people in there had really drained me. It would take a good 24 hours before I was better, granted that I didn't run into anyone else.

 Doojoon's POV

She was gone. I wasn't sure how I knew, I just did. A few minutes later it was confirmed by a nurse. Before leaving I paid the bill. Hopefully she would be okay.

I felt slightly concerned. What if she fainted again in a dangerous place? Her body didn't seem to be in a good state.

"Don't worry about her, Yoon Doojoon. You've done your part." I sighed. Until I knew she was safe I knew she'd occupy my thoughts.

 

The next morning I stopped by a coffee shop. I would need the extra caffeine this morning to get through the day. Last night was the first night since my wife's death that I didn't dream of her.

In fact I didn't dream at all. It was a blissful night. And yet my sleep wasn't restful.

I looked up and nearly choked. It was her. She was smiling brightly and taking coffee orders. When I walked up to the counter next, her smile fell a little.

"I promise this is a coincidence." I quickly said. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yes. Thank you."

I wanted to reach out and touch her. The tingle in my hand had long since disappeared and I wanted to know if she was the original cause.

"What do you want to drink?"

My brain had quit thinking. "Whatever is easy to make." Maybe I could brush my hand against hers when she gave me my drink. Instead she placed it on the counter and told me to have a good day. 

Once outside I laughed at my own ridiculousness. 

End POV

I watched him leave. My heart was racing. It took everything I had to remain calm. Was it really a coincidence? "Soomyun!" I turned to my boss. "An order just came in, deliver this please."

My boss gave me a big smile while holding a giant box with freshly made coffees and pastries. I hated errands.

 

"35th floor?!" I gaped at the secretary. She seemed appalled by my outburst. If only she knew. I couldn't ride the elevator because I'd be locked up with who knows who! But 35 flights of stairs? That was ridiculous! Why couldn't a freaking employee come down here and-

"Oh! Yoon Doojoon I have some paperwork for you." She bowed at the man behind me. I would have ignored him if I didn't recognize the presence. Slowly I turned around and looked up. He was taller than I remembered. He glanced down. It took a solid three seconds for him to recognize me.

"I promise I'm not stalking you!" His outburst made me blush. It also got the look from stranger's. I ducked my head and made a break for the elevator. I'd have to bare it. There was just no way I was going up 35 flights of stairs. Doojoon, I knew his name now thanks to the secretary, stepped onto the lift as well. I did my best to get in the corner.

I blandly noticed we were going to the same floor.

One by one the elevator got fuller and fuller. Doojoon was getting closer and I was doing my best to get smaller. This was absolutely ridiculous. Thankfully only one person had a shriveled up string of fate, the feel of the others helped dull the intensity.

Doojoon's POV

She looked ticked off. The more people that piled on the more her expression darkened. There was a sudden rush of a few more people and I was shoved into the same corner as her. I braced my arms above her head and did my best not to touch her. She looked so small with that big box.

"What's the box for?" I whispered even though no one would be able to hear us over the chatter.

"It's a coffee order." I felt stupid for asking.

"Right."

Her expression was pale and I was worried she'd pass out again. "Let me take that. I noticed we were going to the same floor anyway." She protested but I ignored her. "Are you feeling better?"

"You already asked me that." She grumbled.

The more I interacted with her the more I grew curious. She wasn't like everyone else. Her eyes darted around like she was looking at something. This was my chance to see if yesterday's feelings were just part of the situation. The only problem was, there was no smooth way to brush against her without it being creepy.

Eventually we made it to our floor and I was able to back off. "I can take my box now. Thank you."

"I've got it. I know this place better than you. What office did she say to take it too?" She mumbled the answer and I smiled. It was my office.

I handed her the box once we reached the destination. "What's your name?"

She blinked and looked up at me. "Soomyun. Kwon Soomyun."

"Maybe we'll see each other again." I went to my office after that. From there I could see all the workers and I watched her pass out the coffee. What caught my eye is that she noticeably avoided certain people while she made it a point to get near others. Men and women alike. I laughed and turned away, a little shocked with myself for even noticing such a thing.

End POV

 

 

 

I pulled a double and left the coffee shop late. It had been a solid three weeks without any incidents. Doojoon had only flitted across my mind a few times, never long enough to really ponder.

Today was the day the one guy who tried to kill me would be getting out of prison. I did my best to not let it bother me, surely he wouldn't be able to find me again. There were too many people in Daegu, and I had moved. To help ease my tensions I thought a drink was in order. It was a Monday night so the bar wasn't busy, which was better for me anyway. I slid in with any easy smile and ordered. Nothing too strong, I needed to make it home safely.

Belatedly I noticed a figure a few seats down.

He had a few empty glasses in front of him. I recognized the presence before I did the face.

"How are you doing over there bud?" The bartender, Gikwang asked. Doojoon held up his finger for one more. He sighed but did as he asked.

He looked terrible. The pain was extra intense today. His mind must be flooded with the memories of his wife for it to hurt this bad. I stared at my hands. One touch and I could help ease that a little. I shook my head. There was no reason for me to. But I started to remember the hospital trip and him helping me with the coffees. I grumbled and took huge gulp of my drink.

Just ignore him. Ignore. Ignore. Igno-

I slid into the seat next to him. It wouldn't hurt that much right? Cautiously I placed my hand on his. It hurt at first but then it faded. This was my first time willingly taking the pain from someone. It burned around my fingers and I felt a little weighed down but it wasn't like before. Not nearly like before. I should be knocked out on the ground right now.

It amazed me that I was able to hold his hand for this long. His features started to soften and he looked towards me. Doojoon roughly pulled his hand away. He stared at me with wide eyes but I had a feeling he wasn't really seeing me..

"Do you know him?" Gikwang asked. I nodded yes. "Here's his keys and phone. Maybe you should take him home?"

I sighed. I already took some of his pain away, what more did I have to do? Since I didn't know where he lived and I wasn't about to waste my money on a hotel, I took him to my place. It was humble enough and I figured he'd fit fine on the couch. Getting to my house was the hard part.

The bartenders helped me get him in the car, I drove to my house without a hitch, but now I had to figure out how to get him up two flights of stairs. I was tempted to lock the car and leave him there but that seemed cruel.

"Yah. Wake up." I roughly shoved him. Touching him now wasn't so bad. Still smarted but I could ignore it. I noticed his ribbon wasn't as black as before but more of a ashen grey. That meant he was healing.

He opened his eyes while I reached over him to unbuckle his seatbelt. "Saera." I jumped when he cupped my cheek. "I miss you." A tear fell down his face. His other hand came up and pushed my hair back.

Despite my red face and racing heart I kept a calm head. "Come inside. It's cold." He nodded and slipped out of the car. I braced his weight against me but he was mostly walking on his own. It took awhile but we made it up the steps and inside. I plopped him on the couch. He was still in and out of it so I went to change into comfortable clothes. When I came back out he was passed out.

"Aish." I furiously ruffled my hair. "Just what were you thinking Soomyun?" Still playing a good host with the thoughts of 'returning the favor' running through my head, I pulled his shoes and socks off and covered him with a blanket. I wasn't about to strip him even more, he could just be uncomfortable.

Satisfied with my work I crashed on my bed.

 

I was a little surprised to be awake before him. He was still passed out on the couch, the covers effectively kicked off. I didn't know if he had to work today, probably since it was Tuesday, but I didn't have to work and I wasn't interested in waking him up. Instead I cooked breakfast.

Doojoon's POV

It had been years since I had woken to a good smell. Had I drank myself so deep that I was hallucinating now? This place looked different too. All the colors were warm and there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter