Chapter Eight

Isolation (A Shim Changmin X OC Story)

English class had passed by like always, as did Music Composition. The only thing that was different was the fact that ChangMin was a bit snappier, due to his newfound fatigue. Before EunMi came to this school, ChangMin was never this tired--another reason for him to hate her. However, to break the cycle of normalcy, something interesting happened in Gym class that afternoon.

"EunMi-sshi! EunMi-sshi!" yelled a boy with bangs that almost completely covered his eyes.

"JaeSung-sshi?" EunMi turned to face the boy who was running towards her from across the gym. He came to a stop in front of her and said,

"Hey, thanks for helping me finish my History project. I would've failed if it weren't for you. My dad is also really thankful. Why didn't you accept the mon--OW!"

Before he could finish the last syllable, EunMi had discreetly stomped on JaeSung's foot, as ChangMin was nearby and had been listening. Feigning worry, EunMi yelled,

"Oh, my gosh! JaeSung-sshi, are you okay?!"

"Yeah, I-I'm fine. But, EunMi-sshi, why did you just--OW!"

EunMi stomped on his foot again.

"You should go to the nurse! Here, I'll help you," EunMi said, helping a tearful JaeSung walk out of the gym and to the nurse's office.

Still in the gym, ChangMin murmured to himself,

"What the heck was that all about?"
 

~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ ==== ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ ==== ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ 


When EunMi had finished wrapping the forming bruise on JaeSung's foot, the boy sighed in relief and said to her,

"Thank you, EunMi-sshi. But why did you keep stomping on my foot?"

Giving him a confused look, EunMi said, "I didn't stomp on your foot..."

"I'm pretty sure you did... I mean, just all of a sudden--"

"Ah!" EunMi interrupted. "You're in Tae Kwon Do, right? You probably hurt your foot, and you're just now starting to feel the pain. It happens all the time to professionals."

"Oh... You're probably right. I did have a tournament yesterday," JaeSung contemplated. "Well, I'm sorry for accusing you, EunMi-sshi. Thank you for helping me."

"You're welcome," EunMi said softly, forcing a smile.

Soon after, EunMi helped JaeSung get back to the gym, letting him sit on the bleachers. When SoonLi asked about what had happened, EunMi gave her the same explanation she gave to JaeSung, and, much to EunMi's relief, she accepted it. In Calculus, ChangMin didn't say a word to EunMi. He didn't even look at her. To be honest, it kind of scared her. And the silence between them didn't help alleviate the pressure as they worked on problems out of the textbook the teacher had assigned them.

It was quiet.

Too quiet.

When the last bell of the day rang, ChangMin quickly gathered his things and left for the Student Council room. Carefully, JunSu approached EunMi and softly asked,

"Are you all right, EunMi-sshi?"

Suddenly noticing his presence, EunMi looked at JunSu in surprise and then relaxed, replying,

"Oh, I'm fine. Just a little tired."

"Okay..." was all JunSu could say in return. EunMi closed her schoolbag and hurriedly said to JunSu,

"I have to get going now. I'm sorry. I'll see you tomorrow!"

As she quickly left, JunSu watched her leave, worried something was wrong. Suddenly by his side, SoonLi calmly said,

"Don't worry. She's always like that."

"Really..?"

"Mmhm."


~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ ==== ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ ==== ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _  ~


Cautiously entering the Student Council room, EunMi made her way to a student desk, but was stopped when ChangMin said,

"Sit here."

Slowly, EunMi looked at ChangMin, but his eyes were focused on some papers while he pointed to a stool next to him. She knew better than to argue with the other, but that side got the best of EunMi as she defiantly asked,

"Why should I?"

"Just do it," ChangMin quickly retorted. So without further protest, EunMi quietly sat next to ChangMin, avoiding eye contact and fiddling with the hem of her sweater.

"Have you handled all the transfers of the money for the class trip?" ChangMin asked, keeping his eyes on a specific sheet of paper. EunMi, keeping her own eyes on the floor tiles, replied,

"Yes. It's all in the school's funds now."

ChangMin nodded and continued to ask questions.

"So you know Song JaeSung?"

EunMi closed her eyes for a moment and bit her lip before answering with a simple,

"Yes..."

"I heard you helped him with his History project," ChangMin casually stated, making EunMi bite her bottom lip again before replying,

"Uh-huh..."

"Did his father offer to donate money?" ChangMin pressed, and by then, EunMi knew that he knew. She tried to be strong, but her answer only came out as a whisper.

"...No."

She heard ChangMin set his pen down, and then everything went silent. EunMi felt her heart palpitating as if she had run a marathon, and she was sure wrinkles had formed at the bottom of her sweater from her constant nervous wringing. ChangMin looked at EunMi and asked in a low voice,

"Do you think it's funny?"

"Think what's funny..?" EunMi asked in vain.

"Quit acting like you don't know!" ChangMin suddenly yelled, making EunMi flinch. "I know you helped JaeSung with his project, and that his dad offered to give you money for the class trip. I know you didn't accept it, and instead, you asked him to give it to me!"

Too scared to look him in the eyes, EunMi kept her gaze on the desk in front of her and replied, 

"So what? You got the money you needed. That's all that matters!"

"I don't care about the money! This is about my pride!"

"Who cares about pride?!" EunMi shouted, facing ChangMin now.

"I do!" ChangMin quickly shot back. "My pride...is everything I have."

Looking into his eyes, EunMi could see how much those words meant to him--how much it was hurting him. His gaze was so intense...so fragile...

EunMi lost the strength to keep looking at him as she whispered,

"I...I'm sorry..."

"Yeah, well, 'sorry' doesn't cut it," ChangMin coldly replied. He kept looking at EunMi, as if expecting her to say more.

She wanted to say more. She really did.

But she just didn't know what to say.

With a sigh just loud enough for EunMi to hear, ChangMin took all of his belongings and left the room. When she heard the door close, EunMi put a shaking hand to her cheek, realizing a tear had fallen.

 

 

 


I'm really sorry for ending it like this! I didn't want to have to put so much angst in this story, but I had to..! It'll get better in a few chapters, I promise...

I'm also sorry this chapter's so short. There was no other way I would've liked to have ended it. Sorry!

For those of you who know me, I don't like it when friends fight. (Yes, I consider ChangMin and EunMi to be friends.) When I start fighting with a certain munch, I somehow end up crying. I just don't like it when friends fight, period. So it was hard to write this chapter. Oddly though, I won't cry if a cute animal dies or (most times) when someone dies in a drama.  Anyway...

Delicious home-baked Christmas cookies to:

kannielove

Oh, and... Comments really make my day. I'm pretty sure most of you guys know that feeling you get when you see "New Comments!" in the corner of your screens. Hahaha. Comments = ♥♥♥ And remember, I will always, always, ALWAYS reply to every individual comment. No generic "Thank you!" comments to the masses. Real, honest comments to you! Yes! YOU! XD And I don't care if I have to reply to a thousand of you guys, I will reply to each and every one of you.

Please look forward to Chapter Nine~ (I plan to have it posted by Christmas day.) ♥