Swim Team Rumors

Dead Man's Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This is the Joker Prefect speaking. All Prefects please report to the Prefecture room, on the double, thank you.”

I’m the only Prefect in biology at the moment, so I’m the only one getting up to leg it. Joshua sounds upset. Very tense.

All I can think of is him and that… demon. If he’s hurt Joshua, I’ll end him. I don’t care that I’m supposed to be the Lord’s messenger. I’ll kill him with my own hands, if it loses me my wings and halo and all. Because there is nothing more important – nothing that could ever be more important – than Joshua.

Joshua’s smile. Joshua’s bright, twinkly eyes. The way he swings his arms when he walks. The way he whistles. The way he is always as fair and just as possible. And his soul…

Yeah, we’re not supposed to look at his soul. Pure souls are so precious, they have to be preserved in the most careful way. We’re not supposed to go peeking in. But when I saw his soul for the first time it was the most glorious, most exquisite thing I ever beheld. How could any one person be so beautiful, so kind, so pure? How could his soul shine so much?

I know Wonwoo has seen is soul too. I don’t know if he knows that I know that he’s seen it, but it doesn’t really matter, either. Because I know that Wonwoo is just as impressed as I am.

And to be honest, even in the charade that is our lives as we pretend to be human for Joshua, there was no way out for me. I was hooked from the very first day. Joshua is like a drug, and I’m one crazy- addict. I can’t get enough of him. I can’t get enough of his voice, his scent.

Yeah. I guess it’s possible for an angel to fall in love with a human. Especially when that human is more of an angel than I am. It’s okay. I don’t really feel shame about it. I’m just happy he exists in my life.

There’s just something about him that makes me wonder how the whole world isn’t in love with him already. He’s the most beautiful person, in and out, that I’ve ever met. When he turns his head and smiles, that’s it. Every single time I think I’ll be okay, then his eyes crease at the corners and I’m lost. I’m wading through a lifetime of happiness, years of being by his side and marvelling at him. And there’s nothing that can inspire me with more happiness than seeing Joshua.

So it’s safe to say that a denizen of Hell being attached to him at the hip puts me on edge.

I’m not the only one running: I meet Wonwoo in the first hallway and Jihoon and Seungcheol are already at the door, waiting. I rush in first, anxious.

Joshua’s entire face is blood-red, and he’s shaking from head to toe. The calendar in his hands quickly becomes a projectile weapon.

“GUARDIAN ANGELS?!” he screams.

Ooooh boy.

 

All I can think is he’s going to hurt himself. He’s going to hurt himself! I panic, blindly. I can’t let him hurt himself. If Joshua hurts himself anywhere near me, I’ll never forgive myself. It’s like that time when he was twelve and he fell off his bike and broke his arm, and I never forgave myself for that either.

I’m moving before I even know it myself. God knows what he’ll pick up next? I’ve never seen him so angry, but it’s not like it’s an unjust anger. Joshua has every right to be angry.

And I’m angry, too, but I’ll deal with the vermin from the Underworld later.

“Joshua, Joshua!” His name rolls off my tongue so easily. Like it was meant to be in my mouth. “Joshua!”

“I hate you!” he screams. His whole face is red – bright red. I duck the wireless mouse he throws next and manage to get my arms around him before he can find his next weapon. “Let me go! Let! Me! Go!”

I place my lips near his ear. “Just calm down,” I whisper, trying to eradicate any urgency in my tone. I try to make it peaceful. “Please, Joshua, calm down. You’ll hurt yourself.”

“Let me go!” He’s struggling hard, and it takes up a lot of energy to keep him from getting free. He’s screaming, still red. So upset. He’s so upset. I’ve upset him so badly. “Let me go, you fu-”

“Please,” I beg in his ear. “Please, Joshua. Breathe. Breathe, you’re going to hurt yourself. Just… just breathe. You can hurt me however you want later. Just breathe.”

“Just let me go, Wonwoo!” His voice takes on a pleading tone, and it’s somehow weaker than his anger from before. “Just let me go, let me go!”

I think maybe he might be a little more sane now, but the moment my arms around his fragile frame loosen he skitters back from me. As if he’s afraid. And he walks away from me to go stand near a demon.

It’s not like I’m specifically attached to Joshua in any weird way or anything. But it is my duty to make sure he’s safe and stays pure as long as possible, and the idea that he willingly walks away from my protection to go hang out with that piece of is a little more than I can bear.

“What have you done to him?” I hiss, turning to the long-haired demon.

The creature shrugs, but he’s got a nasty little smirk on his face that I would just punch right off if I could. “Well, I thought I’d level things out. I can not, believe, you lied to him!!” Jeonghan puts a hand on Joshua’s shoulder. “How could you lie about everything you ever were!”

It relieves me a little to see Joshua shrug the demon’s hand off his precious, pure body.

“Listen here, you little-”

“He’s ri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter