A Soul Conundrum

Dead Man's Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

, , , erty er Macerton Of sville in County -a-doodle-doo, is in no way more ED than I am right now.

I’m not normally the melodramatic sort, but let’s take a quick moment to, say, take stock of what has happened in my life over the last six months.

One, I accidentally save a demon from death and therefore get his tethered to me for the rest of my natural life. Two, I wake up on my seventeenth with no Ovo to speak up but big black X’s, dooming me to a life of eternal solitude. Three, lung cancer returns to my body because my life isn’t stressful enough. Four, my uncle tries and make me responsible for running his entire school. Five, I find out my best friend has a huge crush on me. Six, I find out my two closest and dearest friends are protective angels in disguise. Seven, demons come to my school and one of them is an incredible flirt. Eight, I fall for said demon, and we start dating to the horror of literally all my friends. Nine, I have to start living with the two friends who have crushes on me. Ten, I find out the demon I have a Concordat with used to have my name down as his Ovo. Eleven, I fall in love with him. Twelve, I’m also really not over my actual demon boyfriend, who doesn’t really love me. Thirteen, my grades are failing. Fourteen, in less than two days I’m going to be on an operating table. And to round it all up, Fifteen, Wonwoo booked security for the wrong date.

So the point I’m trying to make here is that whether it be in the area of organization, that of social contacts, relationships, grades or medical health, I’m ed.

I’m a stressed-out mess, and I’ve been so stressed-out that I’ve been snappier than Jihoon at five AM on a Saturday morning when he hasn’t had for five weeks straight. And that’s pretty snappy.

Seungcheol’s working his thumbs down on my shoulders, trying to get me relaxed, but how do you relax somebody when they’re hours away from prom with no tux, no security, a boyfriend, a person I have very definite feelings for, and a slight fever.

“You’re going to be fine,” Seungcheol croons. “I promise.”

“I’m gonna hurl.”

“Joshua, relax.” Jihoon waltzes in the door, hands filled with tuxedos. “I am here to save the day.”

 

Prom is, apparently, a huge success – every teacher and good-willing student I pass tells me the same thing, that it’s all marvellous and I’ve done such a great job. The fairy lights outside are bright and there’s enough drinks to go around for sure, my tuxedo fits properly, the other Prefects are on high Alcohol Alert, and I’m supposed to be relaxing.

But I’ve got about ten hours until I’m supposed to be cut open for surgery and there’s literally nothing that could relax me now.

“Hey,” a voice mumbles warmly, and when I turn, he’s darted away again. It isn’t until he puts a hand on my arm that I know where he is, and he’s pulling me through the throng of dancing bodies into a dark classroom. “Hello, you.”

“Hey,” I smile breathlessly.

Jun puts his arms around me and kisses me. “I’ve missed you, lately.”

“I’ve been busy.”

“Are you busy now?”

“Busy with you,” I smile a little. “You look good in a tux.”

“So do you,” he grins, leaning in for another kiss. He’s still an amazing kisser, and I still get lost in his arms. Slowly his kisses get deeper and deeper until he breaks away slowly, fingers sliding down my torso. “So? Have you thought about… what we talked about?”

My mind only draws a blank, and we kiss again; Jun’s an excellent kisser and always has been, with a spellbinding ability to make me go numb. Within seconds Jun has be propped up on a table, leaning in to kiss me more, dig his tongue further into my mouth, pull a little harder on my hair.

And , kissing is so much fun.

My necktie slides off, and I pull off my tux coat too – it’s too hot tonight to be making out with one’s hot boyfriend in it. It’s not until his fingers start undoing my buttons that I freeze.

Oops. .

“Wait.”

Jun groans as he pulls away, staring at me. “What?”

“I, uh.” I can’t look at him, face flushed. “Uh…”

“Joshuaaaaa,” he whines, kissing me once more. “Please?”

“I, I’m not…”

“Ready?”

“Ready,” I breathe.

Jun kisses me, gripping my skull close, and it’s intoxicating. I can’t move away. I’m just melting away, and it feels wrong, and it feels nice.

“I could make you ready,” he whispers in between kisses, a hand sliding up my thigh.

“Jun…”

“I’ll be gentle…”

Twenty coaxing minutes later my shirt’s around my wrists and I’m lying down on four adjacent tables with Jun hovering over me, kissing me like there’s no tomorrow. I’m not sure how we got here, but I don’t have the gall to tell him to stop, and I don’t have it in me to ask him to keep going. I’m just… here. Letting it happen.

Jun leans in and kisses me one more time before leaning in to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter