The Bet

Dead Man's Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey, er.”

I spin tensely, but as I turn I’m at ease. That voice belongs to somebody who can’t touch me. I grin at the dark figure on the rooftop. “Well hey there, .”

When he’s around Joshua he has this emotionless, cold look going on. I already saw a hint of anger in him earlier, but he kept it under control really well. Now he’s full-blown furious, jaw defined and gritted, eyes blazing, his entire body curled forward with little fists shaking. He’s so angry, he can’t even speak for a moment, and I take full advantage.

“What, come to make sure I didn’t kill him in his sleep?” I laugh at him, making sure to annoy him as much as possible, ‘cause it’s just too much fun. “Are you so afraid for your Joshie-poo?”

He lets out a screech that I can only describe as hellish, which I think is hilarious in its irony. He begins to pace closer to me, stalking. He thinks I’m a fool for standing where I am and not moving, but he’ll figure it out soon enough. “You’re going to stay away from him,” he growls. He’s leaned in like a leopard, stalking its prey in the tall grass.

“I don’t think so,” I smirk.

He makes a swipe for me, and he’s incredibly upset when his hand ducks away from my body against his will. He tries again, talons at the ready, but no matter how much he tries to grip me, his hands slide away, unable to touch me.

Then, very slowly, I pull off my shirt to show off the large scar in my chest signalling the sign of the Concordat.

Wonwoo hisses unhappily, skittering back a few steps. He can’t take his eyes off the red mark on my chest, like it’s physically hurting him. He keeps spitting like an unhappy kitten for a few moments until he finally shuts up.

“So you see,” I smirk annoyingly, “Joshua is in no kind of danger from me. In fact, in time, I think he might even learn to want me around. He’s going to be lonely without me, and when I get him just right, he’s going to-”

Wonwoo presses his hands up against his head in order not to hear what I have to say. “ you!” he fires back angrily. “He’s been put under my protection!”

“And mine.” A second voice lands on the rooftop behind me, and I already know it’s DK. He doesn’t sound like he’s smiling, though. Good. “We’ve been set here to protect Joshua and we won’t have you messing that up.”

“Oh, is that so?” I sit down where I can see both of them and smile. “Well you’ll both be very disappointed, because that little in there is mine.”

DK looks up at Wonwoo with a surprisingly calm demeanor. “I wouldn’t worry so much, Wonwoo,” he says simply. “Joshua’s too smart to fall for crap like that.” I take offence at the thumb that’s jerked my way.

“…you have a point,” Wonwoo concedes, looking at me with a new perspective. “He’s a piece of . A demon. Joshua would never fall for him.”

“Oh, I don’t know,” I grin. “I can be very convincing. After all, seduction is something we demons are awfully good at.”

Wonwoo’s jaw moves again, and the hatred is back. “You wouldn’t.”

“I don’t even need demonic powers to seduce him. He’s a pure , for crying out loud. A little while with me and he’ll be begging for it.”

“Even DK has a better chance with Joshua than you do,” Wonwoo throws at me. “We’ve known him for years. He likes us. And at least if he’s with an angel he’ll still be pure.”

The two of them high-five, and I think it’s kind of funny that they’re so lax when they don’t know how persuasive I can be.

“You think a couple of angels are going to be better at seducing Joshua than a demon?” I laugh, making sure that it’s loud. “You guys are crazy. You wouldn’t even know where to start. Please. His purity and ity are going to lose to me. You can kiss your jobs goodbye.”

“It’s not just a job.” DK observes me with a vague kind of disdain, his pretty silver feathers shuffling in the breeze. “We like Joshua. He’s a good guy. And we don’t want him in a relationship with the likes of you.”

“Relationship?” I repeat, wincing at the idea. It sets off an uneasy, queasy feeling in my stomach that I work hard to ignore. “Who said anything about having a relationship? I was just going to him and leave it at that. Screwed once and then rejected doesn’t just hit his ity, it’ll hit his purity.”

The two angels look at each other.

“I’ll kill him. I’ll kill him myself.”

I sit there, rocking happily. “You can’t,” I sing. “You need Joshua’s permission to touch me!”

DK suddenly points at me. “You know about Seungcheol and Jihoon?”

“What, the witch and his human counterpart? Sure. Why?”

“They’re on our side.” He his head with a pitying look on it. “Do you think you can handle all four of us?”

“With one arm tied behind my back,” I grin.

The angel sits rather close to me, glaring. “Fine. Graduation night is the last night. Sun-up on the very next day is the deadline. No inhuman powers allowed. If Joshua chooses one of us to lie with before that, we win. If you manag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter