Can I Lay By Your Side?

Dead Man's Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Joshua? Joshua!”

It’s funny, because I know he’s a demon, but I kind of expect him to have a halo. His face is so pretty that even when my vision is out of focus and blurry, his face is still the one that catches my attention.

“Hey there, brown-eyes.” His voice is so sweet. So smooth. A hand waves over my face. “Can you see?”

Opening my mouth and speaking isn’t so hard, but what comes out is a squeaky, cracked little voice. “What’s happened?”

Jeonghan’s face starts to come into view, and I can’t help but compare them.

They’re both demons, and Jeonghan annoys the crap out of me, but I can’t help but feel that based on looks alone, he’s the softer of the two. His eyes are round where Jun’s are sharp, and he’s got a very soft look about his face. Even his cheekbones, although they jut out, have a sweet kind of curve to them. Maybe his long hair adds to the feeling.

And even though Jun is kinder and nicer to me, his features are wild and wolfish. Everything is so entirely outlined, so sharp. It doesn’t look bad – it suits him – but if I had to guess that one of them was a demon…

Well, maybe I’d still choose Jeonghan. Possibly because normal people just don’t look that soft.

“You got knocked to the ground,” Jeonghan says lowly. “And you sound like crap.”

“I hate you,” I croak back. I start to pull my head up but quickly lower it again when the sky starts to swoop at me. “Hey, can somebody tell God to stop making the sky do that?”

Jun chuckles. “Alright, we’ll get you a stretcher. Don’t move.”

“I’ll take him.”

The two of them glare at each other until the sky stops swirling. “Let Jun take me,” I croak.

“I am a teacher, after all,” Jun preens.

“You’re also gonna get a knuckle sandwich if-”

Somebody puts a stretcher beside me, and the two have to postpone their macho duel until further notice: it’s a dizzying experience, but I feel kind of alright. Jun simply walks by my side until we’re inside.

“…don’t you have a nurse at this school?” he asks awkwardly.

“At like, ten PM? No. I’ll be okay. I just need to rest. And maybe a painkiller.”

Jun chuckles at that, getting me a glass of water and a little white pill. It strikes me that I probably should be more hesitant about taking pills from a demon, but I don’t spend more than a second on it.

He smiles at me – a bit of a smirk, really, and leans on his hands as he hovers over me. “Feel better?”

“…uh. Don’t know.”

He looks at me with a mischievous twinkle in his eye. “You know, you look different without your glasses.”

“People tend to look different without glasses.”

He grins at me. “Yeah, but you look really different.”

I give him a look. “Sorry about your face,” I mumble quietly. “I didn’t think that would happen.”

He laughs a little at me, turning his face. “Nah, it’s not so bad. My ego’s bruised more than my face is.”

I purse my lips into a thin line for a moment, heart sagging a little. Sure, he’s a teacher, but he’s not really a teacher. He’s a demon. And he’s only a few years older than me anyway. “I’m sorry about that, too.”

He looks at me and his eyes are so focused and sharp and bright on me that it’s hard to look away, and it makes my heartbeat rack up, making the dizziness worse. “Maybe you should make it up to me,” he coos.

I raise a brow, and it gives me a searing headache. “Yeah?” I warble. I clear my throat a little in an attempt to make myself sound less pathetic. “How?”

One corner of his mouth curls up. “You could kiss me.”

“I’m a little concussed right now,” I admit sheepishly. “I think kissing is a bad idea when I already get such poor oxygen flow.”

“You’re probably right.” Jun straightens out a little, leaning back in the chair. “I don’t mind, I’m a patient demon. I can wait.”

“…and until then?”

“I’ll be holding you personally accountable for the welt on my face and the bruise on my heart,” he claims dramatically, putting his hand on his chest.

“Didn’t know demons had hearts,” I tease.

He shakes his head at me with a smile, almost as if he’s vaguely disappointed with me. “So much you don’t know about us, cutie.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Like how much I want to kiss you.”

“Why don’t you?”

“You have to kiss me, remember? It’s your punishment for hurting my feelings.”

I can’t help but blush and look away. I’m not some stuck-up princess, but I’m not going to admit to him that he took my first kiss, and that it’s incredibly embarrassing.

“Hey.” He pokes my thigh once, gently. “You’re not really upset about it, are you? You don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“I’m not upset,” I mutter.

“…how’s the headache?”

I take a moment to think about it. “Subsiding. I think.”

“Want to try sitting up?”

“Uh… no?”

He laughs, but slides a hand under my head to help me sit up. The room swirls for a moment before it seems to settle a little and I grip t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter