One

THE PERKS OF BEING PARK CHANYEOL
 
 

one

 
The boy with the boyish smile.
 
 
Chanyeol always loved watching the stars at night at his window it makes him calm and relaxed. Sometimes it may sound weird but he talks to the stars telling to them about his day and what new things did he discovered and learned while believing that the stars listen to every word he says.
 
He remembered when he was ten when he went to a science museum for a field trip and that's when he saw constellations for the first time in the museum. It was beautiful as he look through them the stars connecting and even though they're not constellation and just a simple star. He believes that the stars at night, is the night where he begins to feel a little lost but his dreams seems to find him.
 
All his 18 years of existence he has zero friends. When he was a kid, he was always shy when his classmates approached him in grade school. Ever since then, no one to talks to him except for his parents who always talks to him when he is at home. Chanyeol loved talking to his parents and sometimes he would play card or video games with his dad or sometimes with his mom while talking about everything that they can think of. But sometimes he can't help but think of how does it feel talking to other people? Being at his own house is what comforted him the most. After a long day of no talking at school he can finally speak freely to his parents, smiling and acting like a normal boy. Chanyeol tried to be social. He really did but he always ends up stuttering running away. But thank god, no one bullies him at school. Maybe it's because they just don't see that he is there always observing and listening or even recognize him. 
 
 
Chanyeol sighed while staring at his window, today was the last day of summer and all he did was stayed in his house and talked to his parents, watched movies and ate all day. Tomorrow is the first day of his last year in senior high. Chanyeol hoped that maybe things will change for him. He promised himself that he will try and that he will do his best. 
 
 
 
Observing people is what always Chanyeol do, and maybe it's time for him this time to be observed
 
 
 
 
🌾
 
 
 
The school bell rang signaling that it's lunch break already everyone was dying to get outside of class because their brain has just been squeezed because of math, while a certain Park Chanyeol was still sitting in his seat because he hates crowds so he was always the last to get out of the classroom. He picked his bag from his seat and was about to head to the door when his Math teacher suddenly approached him. His eyes went big and he started to feel anxious. Was he failing in class? Did he do something wrong? Was he having--
 
 
 
"Hey, Chanyeol." His math teacher, Mr. Choi greeted him and smiled at him. It was his first time that a teacher greeted him ever since he started high school. He started to feel anxious again because he doesn't know what to say to the teacher. But then he thought that he should just say "hey" or maybe a "what is it?" but he doesn't want to sound too harsh. Oh god, Chanyeol.
 
 
 
"Hey, Mr. Choi." Chanyeol says while smiling awkwardly. Mr. Choi chuckled and went closer to Chanyeol and the boy awkwardly step back while Mr. Choi observed the boy before speaking again. "Are you okay?" 
 
Huh? What. Chanyeol thought on why the hell would Mr. Choi asked him suddenly if he was okay. What does he mean by that? 
 
 
"Yes, I am." Chanyeol said and chuckled, and he can't help but to ask why so he asked. "Why?" Mr. Choi suddenly smiled at Chanyeol. "I don't know it's just that you're always-- how do i say this-- umm alone?" Mr. Choi said while tilting his head. And then it hit Chanyeol by what Mr. Choi just said. Oh my god. Was Mr. Choi pitying him? It made Chanyeol a little bit angry. But he just exhaled some air through his nose and smiled a little. It's his first time smiling a little in front of his teacher. 
 
 
 
 
"I'm fine Mr. Choi. It's just--" Chanyeol didn't get to say the words that he wanted to say. It's just that i'm a socially awkward freak, and i'm not okay. So he just pursed his lip because if Chanyeol said that Mr. Choi will probably be weirded out. He just wanted to have his lunch already and finished this conversation. He looked at Mr. Choi's eyes and there's a unreadable expression on his face as he looked at Chanyeol. What Chanyeol didn't know that Mr. Choi understands. He understands everything.
 
 
 
 
Chanyeol eyes went bigger at what Mr. Choi said next. "I will gladly be your friend." Chanyeol felt confused and shocked but he felt uneasy either. What the hell is wrong with Mr. Choi?
 
The boy was totally confused and didn't know what to say so he just blurted the words that was on his mind. "I don't really feel happy about the fact that my only friend is also my Math teacher." Chanyeol said while smiling a little but avoiding eye contact. Mr. Choi laughed and patted the boy's back.
 
 
"Just go eat lunch Chanyeol." As Mr. Choi said that Chanyeol bowed and left the classroom while Mr. Choi sighed and smiled. He understands very well.
 
 
 
 
Mr. Choi know one thing about the boy. Chanyeol's expressions are very readable. 
 
 
🌾
 
 
Chanyeol went to the cafeteria with still so many questions in his mind. He was confused yet he can't help but smile a little. Because at least he made a friend right? And his first ever friend is his math teacher. 
 
 
As he walked through the cafeteria noise surrounded his ears and he sighed. 
 
 
Lunch time is okay for Chanyeol. He eats while always listening to music while watching what the students were doing. There were some group laughing and joking around and there were some who were just eating and talking a little. This is what he always do observing and understanding and sometimes making awkward eye contact with people. Like now, while he was observing the cafeteria his eyes landed on a handsome petite boy. He was talking with his other friends who were handsome also. They were the same grade as Chanyeol. He sometimes noticed them walking around the hall. Sometimes he feels that someone's staring at him while he's walking when they are there. But he just shrugged the thought off because that will never happen. 
 
 
He watched them talking and laughing, Chanyeol felt that it must be nice. The boy has a really nice smile while the others had a beautiful laugh. No wonder that they're popular bacause he can hear some squeals around his table that nobody sits because it's near the trashcan. Sometimes he eats at the rooftop where he can be alone but they locked the door to the entrance because they think that someone is entering the rooftop which is prohibited to go to but Chanyeol doesn't listen anyways so probably it's him that they're talking about.  They locked the door and that's the only way that he can go to the rooftop. Obviously. So he has no choice but to sit here. But hey, maybe he can see those smiles and laughs everyday.   
 
 
Chanyeol didn't even noticed that he was staring at the boy and his ears and cheeks went red because the boy gave him a boyish grin while slightly waving to him. His other friends noticed the boy's action towards Chanyeol and they stared at Chanyeol. Chanyeol quickly avoided eye contact and ate faster which made him choke on his food. Great. He noticed the boy chuckle and the others as well so he quickly made a move and walk as fast as he can away from the cafeteria completely embarassing himself, while curious eyes are still staring at his back. 
 
 
 
--
 
 
 
The last class was finally over and everyone sighed because they can already go home, Chanyeol felt happy too because he can finally go home to where his comfort zone is but there's still a little bit feeling of disappointment in his chest. He really can't do it. All his classes this day he tried speaking to someone. He tried saying a simple hello or smile at others but he ends up covering himself with his hands while his ears are going all red. All he did good was speak to his Math teacher that became his friend. Chanyeol sighed while walking through the hall. He just felt really bad about himself but also relief that he didn't embarass-- oh wait, he did. Earlier in the cafeteria. He groaned lowly and suddenly the image of the boy smiling at him popped out in his mind. He didn't even noticed that he was smiling while walking and holding the straps of his bag. 
 
 
 
 
"Hey!" He heard a voice calling somebody. He stopped for awhile and thinking that maybe someone was calling him but, nah. Nobody even knows him even though he knows everybody because some other students here has been his classmates since grade school or sometimes even in junior high. So he walked again and this time he heard running footsteps behind him and he was surprised so he jumped a little it was the boy earlier smiling at him again so beautifully that Chanyeol even wondered why someone so beautiful exist. As usual, his ears went red again. 
 
 
"Hey, I've been saying hey for like three times a minute ago." The boy said while smiling at him. Chanyeol didn't know what to say. Someone was approaching him. Someone noticed him. He felt happy that someone wanted to talk to him. But the problem is he didn't know what to say to the boy. He might embarrass himself again in front of him like what happened earlier at the cafeteria. So he just stared at boy, eyes wide, and heart beating fast because he was nervous.
 
 
The boy seemed to noticed Chanyeol's uncomfortable expression on his face. "Hey are you okay? Did you hear me?" The boy said while waving his hands in front of Chanyeol and the boy nod and tried to speak but he ended up to squeak instead. Chanyeol mentally face palmed himself for being such an idiot. Great, just great.  
 
 
 
By Chanyeol's actions the boy laughed while looking at Chanyeol, he always sees the boy alone. Listening to music or sometimes reading a book. He always noticed the boy's eyes moving every second watching people around him and he can't help but feel interested in the boy. But, he hates to admit at first he didn't really noticed the boy because he was just like a ghost. Always invisible like he's not there. He just knew his name because of othe boy's book they were written in the side. Park Chanyeol. So he decided to approach the boy.  
 
 
 
"You are so weird. And cute also." As the boy said that Chanyeol face went red again and he cursed to himself because he can feel his cheeks heating up again and hates for acting this way in front of the boy. 
 
 
 
 
"In case you're wondering who is this handsome boy in front of you... My name's Byun Baekhyun. Nice to meet you Park Chanyeol." The boy named Baekhyun smiled again at him and Chanyeol wondered on how did he knew his name.
 
 
 
But seeing the boy's smile made Chanyeol think that the boy's smile is a virus because it made him smile at him also for the first time.