Comeback | Departure

S A I L I N G
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2013... 

 

Dancing Queen | I Got A Boy 

 

 

Controversial was an understatement indeed. Dancing Queen had been filmed back in 2008 but it couldn't be released because it was the same as 'Mercy' by Duffy.

Even now in late 2012-early 2013, people were still making a big fuss over the tracks being exactly the same apart from the different languages. Nevertheless, SONES loved it and the fanchants during their live performances were amazing - it was their motivation to do their best and perform it with an even bigger smile. 

Better news never seemed to stop coming their way, it seemed - I Got A Boy which was their 4th studio album had claimed the top spot of Billboard's World Albums Chart and the song itself had claimed the #1 on Billboard's Korea K-Pop Hot 100 and the Gaon Digital Chart. The music video won 'Video of the Year', beating Psy and Justin Bieber. 

 

 

Their first world tour was 'Girls & Peace' which consisted of ten concerts in 7 Asian countries, from June 2013 to February 2014. 

 

 

 

Their first remix album 'Best Selection Non Stop Mix' charted at #6 on the Oricon Albums Chart while their live album '2011 Girls' Generation Tour' peaked at #1 on the Gaon Digital Chart. 

 

 

 

The third Japanese album, 'Love & Peace' debuted at #1 on the Oricon Albums Chart, selling more than 129,000 copies in the first week and was certified gold. The two singles from the album, 'Love & Girls' and 'Galaxy Supernova' charted at #4 and #3 on the Oricon Singles Chart respectively. 

 

“Sica, are you sure you’re okay?” Sunny asked worriedly, placing the back of her hand against Jessica’s forehead. Hyoyeon sighed and sat on the other side, laying Jessica’s head on her lap as she ran her fingers through Jessica’s long blonde locks.

Jessica had been feeling unwell since the start of their concert and she nearly threw up backstage when they ended their fourth song. Yuri and Tiffany had gone to alert the managers and other staff; Taeyeon and Seohyun had gone to get Jessica’s medical bag and the rest were keeping Jessica company in the waiting room.

“I’m fine…” Jessica whined, burying her face in Hyoyeon’s stomach as she curled even more into a ball, “tell Taengoo to forget it.” 

“Tell me to forget what?”

Another whine escaped Jessica’s lips, knowing Taeyeon was the one at the door and very soon, their managers would start running over. Yuri and Tiffany were both quite fast when it came to running. In this case, she could bet that they would put their legs and speed to good use. 

“Sica! What’s wrong?”

Speak of the devil, seriously. 

Everyone was crowding around Jessica, trying to see if she was okay and the members were getting frustrated. Taeyeon, especially was trying to get closer and check on the ice princess but no one was giving her space and even Yuri was getting pissed off. 

“YAH! Not to be rude but don’t you think she needs some space to breathe, Oppa, Unnies?”  

With that said, everyone obediently took a few steps away, clearing the area for the members instead. Jessica's lips curved into one of her gorgeous smiles, knowing her members knew what she wanted - when she was sick, no one was to see her but her family and of course, the eight of them. Managers and stylists were all a no-no.

“For Gods’ sake, Sica! I want you to rest!” Yuri burst out, “stop trying to act tough and go on stage when you’re not feeling well!” Jessica was momentarily stunned at the fierce behaviour her best friend was showing for the first time in the years they’ve known each other. She held onto Yuri’s hands, “Seobang… I’m okay. Calm down, all right? I promise I’ll stop the moment I feel weak.” 

It was a first for everyone actually, witnessing the start of minor conflict between Yuri and Jessica - Yuri hardly had conflicts and she rarely got this worked up. 

 

They did it once more.

They conquered the world with 'Love & Peace' and now they were going to conquer everyone with their albums.

 

2014... 

 

  

  

 

Dating scandals were everywhere. 

They tried to be discreet and even stop going on their dates for a period of time but even then, reporters still managed to gather enough evidence. SM Entertainment didn't even do much to protect them from reporters, it was almost as if their own company was trying to sabotage their own comeback even though they would still be making a profit. 

Yoona, Sooyoung, Tiffany and Taeyeon were discovered over a span of six short months and their fandom had become rocky in that period of time. It didn't help that Taeyeon's scandal had the biggest impact on the fandom, even causing her to get so many death threats from EXO-Ls. 

It had to be the darkest period in Taeyeon's as well as SONES' lives from their debut till now. Taeyeon's scandal had loads of doubtful points and it got so many worked up due to the coincidental photos. Taeyeon even personally apologised to someone at the airport in order to apologise to her fans. 

Who does that?

 

 

Mr Mr

 

 

Mr Mr was not good.

It was a total washout, considering the fact that their data had all been erased the first time round and their comeback had been delayed for some time. It didn't help that they were also against 2NE1, a rather strong competitior though they were juniors. The concept was different but they all thought it could have been better.

Sure, they still maintained their wins multiple times but the song itself was a washout compared to their previous albums. Their album even debuted at #1 on the Gaon Album Chart and the title track 'Mr Mr' even charted atop the Gaon Digital Chart and sold 906, 962 copies in the year itself.

Yet... 

 

 

The Best 

 

It was their first Japanese greatest hits album and it had all the previous singles as well as 4 new tracks - Indestructible, Divine, Show Girls and Chain Reaction. It topped the Oricon Albums Chart for two consecutive weeks, Girls' Generation then becoming the first non-Japanese female group in Asia to have three #1 albums on the chart.

 

Indestructible... 

Because I will protect you until the end

 

'Indestructible' had been previewed during one of their Japanese concerts while there was an music video released for 'Divine' thereafter. With three Japanese concert tours since 2011, they attracted a cumulative total of 550,000 spectators which set a record for Korean girl group altogether. 

 

euneunhan dalbit geu araero

buseojin pado soriedo

anilkka nan bulanhaejyo

 

Under the soft moonlight to the sound of the broken waves

I'm anxious that you may be alone now

 

 

Departure... 

 

  

 

Painful. 

It was so ing painful to have their sister

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter