Black Ocean | Breakthrough

S A I L I N G
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Back in 2008, Sooyoung could clearly remember when they experienced a 10-minute black ocean when they were in the midst of promoting 'Into The New World' at Dream Concert. She sat down in front of her study table and took out a pen as well as notepad. 

 

jinagan gyejeol geu 

sairo saegyeojin chueok 

geu jungedo oneul nan neol 

cheoeum bon geunal tteoolla

 

 

Memories etched between the passing seasons

Among them, I remember the first day I saw you

 

 

 

2008... 

 

 

Taeyeon, being the leader had no choice but to continue motivating them and making sure their performance was still perfect. She was crumbling inside, her mind in a whirl of confusion as to why they were being boycotted like this. She wished she knew why some people could be so mean as to chant 'Wonder Girls' when Girls' Generation was the one performing right now.

Jessica, Tiffany, Sunny and Seohyun had their voices shaking due to the tears they were trying to hold in while the main dancers, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Yoona and herself were all trying to keep it together though their moves were not as energetic as before. 

Indeed there were some SONES standing in the crowd but they couldn't overpower the darkness from the haters, even as they desperately waved their pink lightsticks. 

“W-What…”

Taeyeon couldn’t even continue her sentence as she broke down in their waiting room, her tears flowing down her cheeks without control. She had been pushing them so hard for this huge event, Dream Concert and their hard work was repaid with nothing but hate. She suddenly felt a sharp pain in her chest, her heart starting to literally hurt.

Every member started to cry as they watched their strong leader fall to the ground, her tears swallowing her from the inside. Jessica, Tiffany, Sunny and Taeyeon herself had given up their education to pursue their dreams in the entertainment industry; Yuri, Yoona, Sooyoung and Seohyun had halted their studies to further their position as Girls’ Generation… and for what?

“Unnie, w-why do they have to do this?” Seohyun sobbed, burying her face into Jessica’s shoulder. Jessica stayed silent, knowing that the moment she opened , she too would break down – worse than Taeyeon at that. She held onto the youngest, whispering soft comforting words into her ear, “we’ll get through this, Joohyun… I promise.”

Yoona and Sooyoung, needless to say were also seeking support from their members, hoping to increase their confidence even just a little. Yuri and Tiffany led the two younger ones to the sofa, sitting on either side of them to make sure they’d calm down in time for the next performance. Sunny couldn’t help but shed tears as she knelt beside Taeyeon, getting her up.

Taeyeon felt a pair of arms wrap around her and she sobbed even louder, her face now buried into the crook of Sunny’s neck. “S-Sunny… I’m s-sorry… I’m such a bad leader! I don’t know how to lead all of you well…” Sunny shook her head defiantly, hugging Taeyeon tighter as she bit her lip to keep her sobs from being released. 

 

As the girls were letting out the emotions they struggled to keep in during their short but tortorous performance, SONES in the audience were also struggling to keep themselves together. They regretted their irresponsible actions of offending the Elfs; their idols shouldn't have to go through this pain because of them. 

Taeyeon, the always strong leader had broken down. Jessica, the ice princess who's a crybaby was trying to hide her tears. Sunny, who never cries for work-related issues cried. Tiffany, Yuri and Hyoyeon who always keep the positivity going couldn't keep the atmosphere pleasant. Yoona and Sooyoung who always have a smile, had no hint of one. Seohyun, who is the most logical and clever one couldn't figure out why this was happening.

This was not happening.

This is not the reality they are looking for. 

 

haetsal joheun yeoreumnal

neoui sunsuhan useum 

nunbusideon geu sungani

yeongwoni doel jul

neon alasseulkka

 

Your innocent laughter on a sunny summer day

That dazzling moment will become an eterny

Did you know

 

 

2009… 

 

 

Gee.

Gee was the song that brought Girl’s Generation to stardom. Gee maintained the number-one spot for a record-breaking nine consecutive weeks, becoming the longest running number-one song till 2012. Gee was also the best selling single for 2009 in the whole of South Korea.

Taeyeon hated the song. Jessica didn’t fancy the amount of cuteness that was required. Sunny loved the bop. Tiffany loved the clothes. Hyoyeon didn’t want to dance in that manner. Yuri was neutral. Sooyoung was fine with it. Yoona was simply hoping for the best. Seohyun was trying her best to be cute.

All nine of them had a similar goal – they wanted to break into the hearts of everyone to let them know that they were still up and coming. They had been through that damned black ocean which ruined their morale and resolution to be the top girl group in Korea: practices were cancelled, recordings were cancelled, and everything was over.

It was only when Taeyeon wanted to quit the group did everyone finally come to their senses; they could all remember the day all of them rebuilt their bond. 

 

Flashback.

 

 

“I’m sorry… what?” 

Lee Sooman has his jaw hanging as he stared at the young girl standing in front of his office desk. Taeyeon had requested to see him early in the morning on the pretext of talking to him about something urgent. If he knew this was what she wanted, he would have turned her down flat right away. 

Taeyeon lifted her finger to brush a tear away, “I’m sorry, Uncle. I think it’s better if I leave the group and continue my studies…”

“What about your group? What about the promises you have made?” Lee Sooman continued, “what about your amazing voice? Where is all the talent going to?”

The kid leader fell silent instantly; Taeyeon didn't pay much consideration to that factor. She knew she was being selfish by ditching the group but if they were to face another setback like the one they did during 'Dream Concert', her heart wouldn't be able to take it. 

Sooman took off his glasses and stood, walking towards Taeyeon. He held onto her shoulders and made her face him. The moment Taeyeon’s eyes met the CEO’s, she knew this was a battle she was going to lose. Not that she was at the losing end, to be honest. Her mind might have lost the battle, but her heart has won the war.

“I know you love your members, Taeyeon. They love you so much too. I’m also aware that all of you are pretty much done with the industry but this is only the beginning. You’re a good leader and the fact that all of you managed to complete your performance…  you’ve made me proud. Not as a CEO but an uncle.” 

A sigh left her lips.

How could her intention of wanting to leave turn into her heart yearning for more of the stage?

 

 

Yuri was at home, lying on the sofa like she had been doing the past few months. She didn't know what to do for now. Going back to the dorm was what she wanted to do but she knew nothing would come out of it. If anything, only guilt and pain would come out of it.

Zzz... Zzz...

Oh, it was their ever-so-brotherly manager.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter