Roses

Age Doesn't Matter...Or Does It?

 Donghae's POV

 
I arrived at the dorm late at night. No one was left awake. I headed to my room. "GAH!" I exclaimed when I opened the lights and saw Min Yu's bed surrounded by books. She was now sleeping, and a book covered her face. I removed the books and placed it all on the floor. Why the hell would she sleep like that?
 
"Donghae oppa?" she whispered. She adjusted her eyes to the light. "Hey. Continue sleeping. You still have school tomorrow," I scolded. Her head fell back on the pillow and she drifted again to sleep.
 
The next morning, it was Ryeowook and Sungmin's turn to bring Min Yu to school. Luckily for them, Min Yu didn't feel sleepy at all. She ate and fixed herself. Unlike when Kyuhyun and I took care of her, it was a mess. 
 
She arrived home that afternoon and plopped down on the bed. "How was school?" I asked. "Tiring," she answered coldly. "Is anything wrong?" I asked again. "Nothing," she responded. I heard a knock on the main door. "Min Yu-ssi! Someone's looking for you!" someone shouted from downstairs.
 
She covered her head with a pillow. "Why, what's wrong?" I asked. "Tell that guy that I hate him," she whispered. I went down and saw an ordinary school boy. "Annyeong," he greeted. "Where's Min Yu?" he asked. "She's upstairs. She's busy doing something. Why?" I answered stiffly. "Oh. I just wanted to give this to her," he replied and handed me a rose.
 
"What's this for?" I asked, looking questioningly at Yesung, who opened the door. "What's this for?" Yesung asked the boy. "Oh. I just gave her that as a gift. I really really like her. Please tell her that. Thanks!" he said and ran away. 
 
 
Yesung and I argued on who will be the one to give Min Yu the rose. We don't want to get smacked on the head. "Min Yu-ssi?" I called out to her as Yesung and I entered the room. She still had the pillow covering her face. "What is it?" she mumbled. "Someone gave this to you," Yesung said. She sat up and looked at the rose.
 
"Is it Valentine's Day already?" she asked. "N-no," Yesung and I answered. We were so scared of her reaction. "Then what's this for?" she prodded. "A boy g-gave--" Yesung stuttered. "WHO?" she shouted. I cringed and inched away from her. My head was just a few centimeters away from her and I don't want to get hit. 
 
"A school boy... I think he's from your school," I explained. "Oh. What else did he say?" she asked, gritting her teeth. My hands were sweating. I've never been this nervous since we debuted as Super Junior. Yesung was clinging to my shirt nervously. We're more scared of Min Yu than Leeteuk hyung. "He said..." Yesung started, but stopped in mid sentence.
 
"What?" Min Yu asked. "He said... he likes you very much," I continued. I closed my eyes and got ready for the hitting. "Ugh. This . Please throw it away," she whispered and lied down on the bed again. "Throw it away?" Yesung asked. "Why?" 
 
"I hate boys. I mean, school boys," she replied. "Instead of wasting their money on their cards and flowers and chocolates they give me, they could have just spent it on books or food," she continued. Yesung and I looked at each other. This girl was extraordinary. I leaned closer and her hair.
 
"Haven't you ever liked someone? In a romantic way? Like a crush?" I asked. "Never ever," she answered. "Why? You're already 14, and not once have you had a single crush? I had my first love when I was about your age," Yesung added. "Not once. I swear," she responded. "Why? I mean, that's unusual," I said, lying beside her.
 
"I never allowed myself to have one. I don't think it's that important. Besides, I got all the time in the world to have one. But not now. Maybe someday. I have bigger and better plans," she said, staring up at the ceiling. There's something she's not telling me.
 
Yesung got up. "Well. Good night now," he said and kissed Min Yu on the cheek. "Don't forget to throw that, oppa," she reminded. "Min Yu-ah, there's something you're not telling me," I whispered when Yesung had left. She didn't turn to look at me. "It's nothing," she replied weakly. "Tell me. Come on, I'm you're appa too," I convinced her.
 
She took a deep breath and faced me. But looked down again and played with her fingers. "I'm afraid," she said. "Of what?" I asked. "Of being like my mom," she responded. I held her tightly. "You're different, okay? Listen to me. You're different. To be honest with you, we were all surprised at your attitude when you first came here," I confessed.
 
She looked at me and smirked evilly. "How come?" she asked. "We were taken aback when we saw you punch Leeteuk hyung. We joke with him, but we don't dare try to joke with him physically, like punching him or ruffling his hair. We're more afraid of you than him now," I revealed. She laughed so hard that she kept on slapping my arm.
 
 
Kyuhyun's POV
 
I heard noises in Donghae and Min Yu's room. They were so loud I can't concentrate on playing Starcraft in the living room. "Is that Min Yu?" Ryeowook asked Yesung. He just nodded.
 
A few minutes later, Donghae came out. His face was red. He was clutching his arm, which was full of handprints. "Whose handprints are those?" I asked. He turned to me and smiled. "Min Yu's," he replied.