one

Clean Up on Aisle "My Heart"

Baekhyun spares a glance over to the next aisle where Chanyeol is crouched on the ground picking up boxes of tea that a little girl had knocked over in her tantrum over a box of cookies that her mother refused her.

"How's cleanup going?" He says as he sweeps dirt into the dustpan to be thrown out.

"tea-rifically" he says between heaps of giggle, "look, Baekhyun, come look at this."

Baekhyun waddles over to where Chanyeol was sitting, in front of him was a bunch of green tea boxes lined up in a 'T' shape.

"See," Chanyeol continues, "it's green T. Get it? Green? Tea?" He then proceeds to laugh at his own joke as Baekhyun dumps the dirt from dustpan into the trash and considers throwing Chanyeol in along with it.

"You gotta admit that was a good one" Chanyeol says as he hauls himself to his feet, leaving the letter formation of tea still laying on the floor.

Baekhyun raised a brow, "are you not going to put that back on the shelf?" Chanyeol shook his head with a cheeky grin, Baekhyun continued, "It's better than the hipster joke at least."

Chanyeol opened his mouth excitedly.

"Please. No. Spare me." He falls to his knees dramatically, but Chanyeol starts anyway.

"Why did the hipster burn his tongue?"

Resigned, Baekhyun answered, "I don't know Chanyeol, Why?"

"Because he drank his starbucks before it was cool."

Baekhyun laughed in spite of himself and began untying the back of his apron.

"Let's take our break now, Yeol, I've had enough of cleaning up after toddlers."

Luhan came up behind them and caught them by the shoulders.

"Not so fast you two."

Baekhyun and Chanyeol let out a simultaneous groan.

"we aren't on washroom duty today, Luhan, go check the schedule for once" Chanyeol whined, pulling on Luhan's grip on his collar.

"I know you aren't, That's not why I stopped you." Luhan's conniving grin stretched from ear to ear, and if he didn't have the face of a 12 year old Baekhyun would've been scared less.

"Don't tell me-"

Luhan nodded towards the large clock on the wall, "It's 11:30, in other words I have a steam bun to catch."

Baekhyun wriggled out of Luhan's deathgrip and dusted off his uniform, "You really need to leave that poor guy alone."

"Nonsense! He loves my company!" Luhan waved him off, "Now if you'll excuse me, I see my cutie wit a booty coming through the door right this second."

Chanyeol made a face as Luhan hopped away to pounce on an unsuspecting Minseok, one of their regular customers.

"Poor guy" he muttered, and Baekhyun nodded in agreement.

"So much for our break."

"we could always just hang around in the storage room for awhile? No one even checks there half the time anyways?"

Baekhyun stood on his tiptoes so he could wind an arm around Chanyeol's shoulder, "I like the way you think Chanyeol."

Chanyeol shook Baekhyun off playfully and grabbed hold of his hand, "Let's go then."


-


The storage room was quite spacious and typically used by many of the employees whenever they wanted an unwarranted break. Their manager Luhan knew all about it, but he never made any move to stop it. Probably because he was too busy pining after a certain plump-cheeked customer. Luhan was in charge on Saturdays so Baekhyun expected that more than just he and Chanyeol would be seeking refuge in the storage room. Though he didn't expect to find their coworker Kyungsoo being pushed up against a pile of boxes by their other coworker Jongin.

"My eyes!" He yelled dramatically, Chanyeol comically brought up his hands to shield Baekhyun's face.

The guilty party flew apart from each other, each blushing harder than Baekhyun thought possible.

He pealed Chanyeol's palms from over his eyes, the grin he sported was downright wicked, "Looks like Jongin was getting some action"

"Hyung!" he whined, hiding his face in Kyungsoo's neck. Kyungsoo just patted his back softly and cleared his throat several times.

"Hyung~" Baekhyun mocked, making Chanyeol snicker from beside him, "Aww look at him Chanyeol, Jongin's so adorable"

"Awww so cute, I bet they cry at Prince of Tennis together on the weekends"

"They probably bake adorable cupcakes together and then make adorable designs in icing and then end up getting icing everywhere and it off-"

"Enough!" Jongin wailed, shoving Chanyeol and Baekhyun not so nicely out of the storage room, the door slamming behind them.

"We are allowed back there you know!" Baekhyun yelled through the doors, an old lady picking out yogurt from the fridge beside him gave him a look. Chanyeol stifled a laugh.

"Five bucks says they probably go back to making out in about ten minutes."

"You're on."

When Chanyeol and Baekhyun went back in about ten minutes later, Chanyeol silently passed a gloating Baekhyun five dollars.


-


When Jongin had finally gotten so fed up with Baekhyun and Chanyeol's persistent -blocking, he fled from the storage room to the attached Starbucks with Kyungsoo in tow.


Thus, Baekhyun and Chanyeol had to find amusement elsewhere. They went with hiding behind Sehun at the cash register while watching Luhan continuously fluster Minseok with terrible pick-up lines.

"Is your dad a baker?"

"No, actually he's an accountant."

"Because you have some terrific buns"

Chanyeol nearly topples over from laughing so hard and Baekhyun catches him with an arm around his waist. Sehun gives them the stink-eye.

"Luhan needs to take lessons or something, this is pitiful." Chanyeol choked out between bursts of giggles.

"Maybe I should give him a lesson" Baekhyun wiggles his eyebrows.

"Oh please. A box of oranges has more class than you."

"Oh Chanyeol," Baekhyun grasps at his heart, "how cruel. You mean you didn't fall for my dazzling eyes and astounding charisma? I thought what we had was special!"

Chanyeol scoffed and pushed Baekhyun by the shoulder. Baekhyun fell over, hitting the backs of Sehun's legs in the process.

Sehun nudged Baekhyun "I'd hate to break up this little love-fest you got going on, but I'm kind of working here in case you hadn't noticed."

Chanyeol flushed as Baekhyun ran his hands over his chest, "I think you're just jealous that you aren't apart of this, Sehun."

"I'd rather be victim to Luhan's stupid pick-up lines than be in the middle of that"

"Suit yourself," Baekhyun winked and puled himself to his feet, "Come on Chanyeol" he reached out a hand to Chanyeol who hurriedly took it and allowed Baekhyun to bring him to his feet. "Let's go save Minseok"


-


"Hey Baekhyun!" Chanyeol called out from a few shelves away. Baekhyun stopped restocking noodle-bowls and made his way over.


He found Chanyeol snickering at a bag of mangoes that he held between his hands.

"What's the matter?"

He looked up from the bag, holding back fits of giggles, "it takes two to mango"

"I swear to god, Chanyeol-"

"No wait I have another," he lifted two pears, "wouldn't you say we make a great pear" 

"You've got to be kidding me"

"I love you from my head tomatoes?"

"Just beet it," said Baekhyun as he waved a beet in Chanyeol's face.

Chanyeol laughed, "I like that one!"


-


Baekhyun sighed as he walked through the automatic doors into the blaring sunlight. It was his turn to bring in all the carts from outside that customers didn't have the consideration of taking a few minutes to bring back.


He swerved the cart to the right when a vehicle came rumbling beside him.

The worst part was avoiding oncoming traffic. People always drove like lunatics in parking lots.

Chanyeol was leaning against a pillar in the front entrance when he rolled the first cart inside. Definitely mocking him, Baekhyun concluded from the smug grin he was sporting.

"Having fun?" Chanyeol snickered. Since the time Chanyeol almost ran over an old lady with the shopping cart, he hasn't been assigned cart duty. Baekhyun sometimes wonders if he did it on purpose.

"Shut up." Baekhyun pushed the cart into the others and turned around to hunt for some more. Chanyeol grabbd onto his shoulder

"I have an idea!"

"You're ideas are always stupid."

Chanyeol turned Baekhyun to face him, "how about a game?"

"Game?"

Turns out "a game" meant Baekhyun pushing Chanyeol in the carts while trying to avoid oncoming traffic.

"You're an idiot" Baekhyun yelled as he nearly slipped on a bump in the road, "and you're heavier than you look"

"Are you calling me fat!?" Chanyeol exclaimed in fake distress.

Baekhyun mumbled curses under his breath as Chanyeol burst into laughter.

Luhan popped his head out of the door as Chanyeol tried to climb out of the cart and Baekhyun laid on the floor in exhaustion.

"I don't even want to know," he said before turning back around and heading for the till where Minseok was buying a loaf of bread.


-


Chanyeol charged his way into the storage room.


The two that were face in the corner jumped apart.

"Do you two even actually work?" He sighed and sat down on one of the piles of boxes, resting his head against the wall.

"I could ask you the same question." Kyungsoo shot back and Chanyeol shrugged.

"Yeah you're always just running around the store with Baekhyun" Jongin piped up

"But we actually get stuff done, we're not just kissing in the storage room all day

"But you wish you were" Jongin waggled his eyes suggestively

Chanyeol eyes widened comically, his face heating up instantly, "What? That's crazy. You're insane, Jongin"

"You know it's true. We all see it. While you're supposed to be checking out groceries, you're checking out Baekhyun's at the next till"

Chanyeol felt himself turning into a human tomato.

"Shut up" he grumbled, hiding his face in his hands.

The storage room door opened again and Baekhyun walked in with a box of chocolates in his hand.

"Well we're out of here, good luck lover-boy." Jongin snicked as Kyungsoo pulled him away by their intertwined hands.

Chanyeol pretended not to here him and turned his attention to Baekhyun who sat down on a box beside him.

"Turns out these were almost about to expire, Luhan gave them to me for free" Baekhyun popped a piece in his mouth, "want some?"

Baekhyun's adam's apple bobbed while he swallowed and Chanyeol couldn't take his eyes off of it.

"Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asked again when the taller didn't respond, holding out a piece to Chanyeol's lips.

Chanyeol let his mouth part for Baekhyun to slip in the chocolate. The tips of his fingers brushed along Chanyeol's bottom lip.

"Good?" he asked while taking another piece for himself. Chanyeol swallowed thickly. It was dark chocolate, he wasn't a fan of dark chocolate.

"Yeah." He responded anyway, and was rewarded by Baekhyun's toothy grin.

"You have chocolate all over your face"

Chanyeol's eyes widened comically and he hastily turned his head away and wiped at his mouth. Baekhyun laughed beside him.

"You know," Baekhyun leaned against Chanyeol, "this job would be boring without you here"

Chanyeol's pulse leaped in his chest. He wasn't sure what to say, so instead he just reached over and took Baekhyun's hand without a word.

"I'm taking a nap now, g'night." Baekhyun's head fell onto Chanyeol's shoulder. Chanyeol ran his thumb over Baekhyun's palm.

Chanyeol wondered briefly where the tingling feeling in his chest came from.


-


When Chanyeol stood behind the till he thought back to Jongin's words. He so didn't look at Baekhyun's . Maybe a casual glance, but that was it.

He scanned the last of the old woman's groceries and gave her a bright smile, "Have a great day ma'am"

She smiled back to him, lifting her bag of groceries with one hand and reaching to pat Chanyeol's cheek with the other, "what a nice young man"

After she left Baekhyun turned around at his own till, "if your done hitting on old ladies, I need some more plastic bags over here"

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and threw a wad of plastic bags a Baekhyun's stupid - but admittedly nicely styled - head. Baekhyun's eyes scrunched up as he laughed and Chanyeol felt his chest tingling again.

Unconsciously, his eyes wandered downward when Baekhyun turned back around. 

Chanyeol had to admit that Baekhyun did indeed have a nice .


-


"So this new burger place opened up nearby"

"Yeah?" Baekhyun responded, not looking up from stacking cereal boxes. Chanyeol went quiet beside him. When Baekhyun spared him a glance he noticed the pink hue warming Chanyeol's face while his hands were playing with the loose threads from his apron.

"What is it?" He asked, wondering if Chanyeol had perhaps caught some kind of fever. He moved Chanyeol's bangs aside and placed his palm to his forehead. "Are you feeling sick? I'm sure Luhan would let you take the day off if you asked"

Chanyeol brought Baekhyun's hand down from his forehead and gave him a look that Baekhyun thought equivilated to that of a lost child. It was rather endearing.

"I'm not sick" He said with a timid smile.

"Then what's wrong? You're face is red."

Chanyeol's eyes widened and his flush increased dramatically, "No, it's nothing. I just wanted to know if you wanted to maybe go the the new burger place for our lunch break because it's nearby and everything"

"Yeah, sure. Let me just grab my stuff and let's go."

"Awesome!" Chanyeol grinned and threaded fingers in his hair, Baekhyun smiled back.


-


Baekhyun took his time getting his jacket. Chanyeol seemed too nervous for some reason and it was setting him on edge. He wondered what had his coworker so riled up. Chanyeol wasn't the type to seem so flustered. He was typically all booming laughter and stupid food puns, never this anxious. Something had to be bothering him, and Baekhyun was going to find out what it was.

"Hey," He greeted as he came up beside Chanyeol's left shoulder, "Let's go?"

Chanyeol jumped, "Yes, let's go! Yes!" He started ahead, pushing his way through the double doors with Baekhyun following behind.

The restaurant was just close enough that they could walk there together, but just far enough that there was room for Baekhyun to strike up awkward conversation. Chanyeol wouldn't look him in the eye when he answered Baekhyun's idle talk of the weather. Baekhyun was beginning to become annoyed. 

When they sat down across from each other at the table, Baekhyun decided to find out what was wrong with Chanyeol in the only way he knew how: with food puns. 

He flipped his menu around and pointed at a pasta dish, "penne for your thoughts?" 

To Baekhyun's relief, Chanyeol chuckled and smiled up at him. 

"Lettuce talk about it?" Baekhyun continued

Chanyeol hid behind his menu, "I don't want to taco bout it" 

Baekhyun frowned and took away Chanyeol's menu.

"Hey!" 

"You were the one who invited me to come so stop hiding from me." Baekhyun snapped. 

Chanyeol laughed nervously and ruffled his hair, "yeah, you're right sorry."

"Why are you so on edge today? Is it my fault?"

"Well, kind of?" 

Baekhyun sat back utterly dumbfounded, "What?"

Chanyeol's eyes widened as he realized his mistake, "No, no, no. Not your fault as in you did something wrong. It's more of my fault? Well it was caused by you in a way, but it wasn't intentionally your fault you know?" 

Baekhyun gave him a look. 

Chanyeol sat back in his chair with a sigh, his hand falling over his face "I like you okay? I know that sounds dumb please don't laugh at me." 

When Baekhyun said nothing, Chanyeol peeked out from behind his fingers. Baekhyun was grinning at him. Chanyeol frowned.

"What?" 

"I knew you couldn't resist my charms"

"Oh shut up" 

"I'm y, and Chanyeol knows it." 

"Baekhyun, seriously"

"Chanyeol seriously thinks I'm a hot tamale" 

Chanyeol plants his face into the table, "does this mean you'll go out with me then?" 

"Only if you promise not to go bacon my heart."


-


Chanyeol and Baekhyun watch as Luhan leans against the wall seductively in front of Minseok. 

"Baby, if you were a fruit, you'd be a fineapple"

"Okay, Luhan" Minseok moves to walk around him.

"Wait!" Luhan catches onto his sleeve "I-uh-" he clears his throat, "if you were a vegetable, you'd be a cutecumber?" 

Minseok turns around, "you think I'm cute?" 

Luhan's face turns bright pink, "y-yeah, that's what I've been trying to say all along actually. You are very cute. Very very cute

"Thank you" Minseok smiles his gummi-smile and hands Luhan a tiny business card, "call me sometime"

Luhan watches with a dropped jaw as Minseok waltzes out of the store.

Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and nearly half of the store erupts into dramatic applause. 


-


Kyungsoo pulled Jongin by the hand towards the storage room, Jongin dazedly followed along.

"You know, Kyungsoo-hyung, sometime Luhan will actually fire us if we don't do some work..."

"Shhhh..." Kyungsoo hushed pressing a finger to Jongin's lips as he pushed against the door to the storage room, "we don't need to worry about that-"

Their usual spot in the corner was already occupied.

"Are you kidding me?"

Baekhyun gave Kyungsoo the finger with the hand that wasn't entangled in Chanyeol's hair as he bruises into his collarbone.

"Looks like you owe me ten bucks, hyung" Jongin nudged Kyungsoo's ribs.

Kyungsoo silently pressed the money into Jongin's palm.


-


Chanyeol paused from placing cans of soda onto the top shelves and looked down at Baekhyun who was filling the bottom shelves.

"So, like, as boyfriends, does this mean I can kiss you whenever I want"

"Yep." Baekhyun said, pushing cans to the back of the shelf to make more room.

"Cool." Chanyeol nodded.

There was a pause.

"So, like, can I kiss you right now."

"Chanyeol, we're kind-of working right now.

"But you said anytime"

"Okay then anytime that I'm not busy."

"Well, when are you not busy"

Baekhyun lifted himself to his feet. He looked both ways down the aisle to make sure no customers were around, and stood on his tip-toes so he could cup Chanyeol's cheeks.

"Now I'm not busy"

"Oh-right, okay," Chanyeol dipped his head down, and pressed his lips softly to Baekhyun's, "like that?"

"Perfect," Baekhyun said, his eyes crinkled as he smiled and pulled Chanyeol back in with a hand gripping the collar of his uniform.