Sixth Sense

Of Emotional Cons

A/N: Sorry this one took so long. My laptop crashed and luckily enough go fixed with all documents intact. Once again, thank you for reading, upvoting and subscribing to this story.


|Sixth Sense|

There were times she wondered whether he picked arguments with her over the silliest of things just so they could bicker back and forth, with them ending with him conceding and hugging her in mock apology. It was the most innocent of actions that he seemed to have trouble initiating, while he stole kisses whenever the urge caught him. Even though she noticed, and could anticipate when he needed that small, affectionate warmth of a hug, she chose not to comment on it knowing he’d tell her when he was ready. The distance in his eyes that managed to slip through sometimes from behind his happy-go-lucky persona was hard to trace if one didn’t look for it, but she couldn’t help look.

 

She wasn’t rich, even though her father had fallen into the plentiful life after becoming the mayor, so she could only afford the bare minimum for his birthday. Seaweed soup, a small but decent home cooked dinner for three, a cake and a small gift she wasn’t quite sure he’d like but she bought anyway.

 

You shouldn’t worry. For him anything from you, he holds preciously, Mijoo assured with that usual bored lint of hers, laced with an indulgent smile. It was enough to calm Sunghee's reservations.

 

When he arrived he was in that place again. That distant place where only Mijoo seemed to understand and she couldn’t go. She knew because he’d pettily picked on her meal with a pout saying there wasn’t enough salt in it. As much as she knew not to indulge him, she returned the favor, setting off an unnecessary bicker between them that was more silly than serious.

 

I'll leave first, and let you two make up. Thanks for the meal, eonnie. The signs were easy to read, and Mijoo had always been more perceptive than she’d let on; Jungdo joining her at the sink while she dried the plates was enough of an indication he wanted to make up.

 

Confirmed almost immediately, when he moved behind her and wrapped arms round her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder. “Sorry.” It was new that his apology wasn’t laced with cuteness in an attempt to make her smile, but rather sincere regret.

 

“I know,” she sighed, leaning back into his embrace to assure him of her words, as he buried his face into her neck. “There was enough salt in the food, you punk.”

 

He chuckled, squeezing her tighter, “Are you sure, Sunghee-ah? You should be happy that I like you this much to ignore your lacking skills. Really, it was bland.”

 

“Happy? Yah, you’re lucky to have me,” she countered pompously, turning to face him expecting a mocking smile to be pulling at his lips, but finding a wry one in its stead. There was a certain hint of sadness as he looked into her eyes, and she was unsure as to why. What she’d said was hardly that big of a verbal jab, to garner such a response. “Jungdo-ah…”

 

“I’m lucky to have you,” his confession half saddening, and half exhilarating to hear, because it was coming from a place she still wasn’t allowed into, and yet knowing he liked her just as much as she liked him was relieving.

 

She wanted to say something, but he changed the subject as easily as he slipped back to his cheerful default setting, pulling her to the sitting room and demanding his present.

 

“It’s not flashy so don’t be disappointed,” it was a warning not to expect much, as she handed him the gift.

 

It was a simple bracelet made of string she’d found while shopping that afternoon that she thought suited him. If his genuine smile was anything to go by, or the fact that he hadn’t stopped looking at her in that way that still gave her butterflies as she clasped it around his wrist, she would say he liked it.

 

“Thank you,” his smile got even broader as he said it, making her heart melt because it was always those boyish, almost shy smiles that got to her.

 

It may have been the first time, and it was bold, but she leaned in, kissing him for the first time.


The plotline and story is mine. Please do not repost, copy, translate anywhere and plagiarism is a bad thing.

Comments would be lovely and greatly wanted, helps me know what you think. Constructive Criticisms is welcomed, because it helps me improve. Flames “to each, his own”.