Fourth Feeling

Of Emotional Cons

A/N: Thank you so much for reading, upvoting and subscribing. It means alot to me. Onwards with the story.


|Fourth Feeling|

He insisted on walking her home and she hadn’t tried all that hard to refuse him.

 

It was still confusing her, the reality of what they were to each other. Were they friends or were they in a ‘some’ relationship in the process of becoming a couple. Sometimes it seemed too obvious that the attraction was mutual, but other times she was convinced she was reading too much into things and he was just being nice.

 

Every time they saw each other wasn’t only with the two of them, but inclusive of Mijoo as well. It didn’t feel awkward even with the three of them; given the fact that the younger woman was pleasant and sweet, laced with an independent toughness she admired greatly, and seemed to like her in equal measure.

 

It was the other times that they were out alone, just the two of them that left her with more questions than answers.

 

It had been three weeks, and countless of meals shared between them in the process of getting to know each other, but she needed clarity on the situation. She liked him, much more than a friend and couldn’t in good sense continue seeing him and liking him more without understanding what they were at that point.

 

She finally got the courage to make the query when they are at the staircase leading up to her home. If her imagination had run wild with her, it was easier to make the last stretch home on her own without him beside her with the reminder of rejection. “Jungdo-ah…” she trailed off as her nerves caught up to her yet again.

 

He hummed the confirmation he’d heard her, leaning on the railing to listen to her. His undivided attention was on her, and it was certainly making it hard to ask. But she wouldn’t know if she didn’t swallow her pride and ask him what was begging to be asked. “Jungdo-ah, I need to tell you something,” taking the first step on the stair he’d taken to face him.

 

The silence stretched as she debated on whether to continue or not. Wouldn’t her question destroy a perfectly good friendship, if she was the only one feeling something? “I like you.”

 

The surprise that covered his face was a silent confirmation that she truly had jumped to conclusions. But now that she’d said it there was no pretending or taking it back. “You don’t have to feel the same way,” she clarified. Her feelings were obviously hers alone, and she didn’t want him feeling obligated to feel anything. “If this makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t ask me out to eat any more.” It was the final nail on the coffin, but it was also better this way. It was better to end it early before even more lines got crossed.

 

He hadn’t said anything yet, he didn’t seem to know what to say and it was a chance to leave before she made things more awkward, “You don’t have to walk me anymore, I’ll go ahead,” she somehow managed a smile, and a small nod of the head before leaving him to process her confession.

 

At the top of the stairs and out of sight, she contemplated making run for it in lieu of the composed gait she’d used to climb the stairs. But the choice was taken away from her when his hand latched onto her wrist halting any progress she’d hoped to make. “Chun Sunghee, don’t I get to say something.” He did have a say, she just didn’t want to hear it.

 

“It’s embarrassing,” she laughed wryly, unable to face him and not making enough of an effort to retrieve her wrist and leave.

 

He turned her to face him, and she still couldn't bring herself to look at him. “Just say what you want to say, and let’s avoid this situation.” It would hurt initially, the rejection, but it was better than cheating herself in false expectation.

 

“I like you too,” his words were not minced or shy, forcing her to look up despite herself. The nerves she’d felt moments ago mirrored on his face as he finally released her wrist, to hide his hands in the pockets of his jacket. He sighed, “Why would I ask you to eat, if it wasn’t for this reason.” It was his turn to look anywhere but at her, and her heart was beating too fast to notice that she was staring.

 

She really wasn’t the only feeling it.

 

She once again didn’t protest when he insisted on walking her home.


The plotline and story is mine. Please do not repost, copy, translate anywhere and plagiarism is a bad thing.

Comments would be lovely and greatly wanted, helps me know what you think. Constructive Criticisms is welcomed, because it helps me improve. Flames “to each, his own”.