Third Time

Of Emotional Cons

|Third Time|

He probably shouldn’t have called. Should have left it at goodbye at their last meeting, but he hadn’t stopped thinking about her since the first moment he’d seen her. Jungdo wasn’t foolish not to finally realize he had a crush, and even though he’d managed to fight the urge to call her for an impressive week, he’d given in to it eventually.

 

He didn’t even know what he was supposed to say once she picked up. There was no valid reason to call her, he’d already done what he’d promised and set her up with a job. His involvement with her should have stopped there.

 

Hello?” his mind went oddly blank. Usually he’d be speaking fluidly with potent charm, coaxing someone to send him money or baiting someone to fall into a con. But with her, once again, he was mute.

 

Hello? Jungdo-ssi?” only the call of his name managed to rouse him from his dazed state.

 

“Uh, Sunghee-ssi,” yes, his eloquence and way with words had completely escaped him; left in it place was a bumbling mess too nervous to form words. “Is it okay for you to talk?” he really had nothing.

 

Yes…is there something you wanted,” it wasn’t asked harshly, but it reminded him of how they met. About how she had almost become a victim and how he truly had no right calling her.

 

“The interview,” it was the only thing they currently had in common. Perhaps he was selfish for wanting to talk to her despite having no right to want it. He just couldn’t help it. “It went well right?”

 

Yes, I got the job,” there was a smile in her voice, prompting one of his own without effort, “thanks, it because of you.” Her gratitude provoked a shyness he hadn’t felt since he’d discovered the opposite wasn’t the enemy. Then again he did always act unusually around her.

 

“It was only a reference, you don’t have to be thankful,” he’d created the opportunity; it was her that landed the job on her own.

 

I'm still grateful,” her resolve was firm, and he found it even more alluring despite himself. “Is it the same for you? Another job, did you find one?” It took a while to connect the dots, but he finally remembered his lie.

 

“Yes,” lies told too elaborately usually rung false, but short answers suggested wanting to end the conversation. “We should celebrate your new job.” The invitation was blurted out before he could fully process what he was asking. He definitely didn’t want to end the conversation.

 

The moment ticked away slowly as the silence stretch on threatening to choke him.

 

Just when he thought she'd turned him down; her answer came through the receiver in a soft query “When are you free?

 

For a few short moments he was too happy to think of a coherent reply, too busy smiling like the fool he was, to even try. 


Author’s Note: The plotline and story is mine. Please do not repost, copy, translate anywhere and plagiarism is a bad thing.

Comments would be lovely and greatly wanted, helps me know what you think. Constructive Criticisms is welcomed, because it helps me improve. Flames “to each, his own”.