Chapter Two

In Ha's Eternal Love

His eyes, she thought. She wondered what they looked like from afar; nice, persistent, and deep. Those words were hard to guessed because she would never find out how persistent they were. She’s a blind girl who couldn’t see anything, but she could feel everything around her. She stared deeply at her computer and smiled, “I need to fix this,” she said—she was working on her new webtoon, which was somehow became famous as soon as she joined not long ago. She loved how the pictures didn’t seem look strange to her because she knew how to draw them and how to put some nice-touch. 

“Unnie!” she called from her bedroom, “Hmm?” Min Kyung came from downstairs and opened the door a little to see her, “I need to go now. I need to tell auntie about this,” she told Min Kyung by pointing her finger to the computer’s screen or the webtoon. “Okay,” her auntie answered and Hye Bin knew that she was smiling, and that’s already enough for her to continue on drawing.

“Hye Bin-nie, I missed you so much!” Gu Jeong squeezed Hye Bin’s shoulder from behind tightly, “I missed you so much! Hey, you haven’t called me or texted me yet,” she squeezed one more time before sitting down while Hye Bin’s uncle, Ahjussi Tae Woo came and sat down next to her. “Whoa, you look greater than last time, Hye Bin-ah! The last time we met, it was raining and you got this blank expression every time I told you about your deadline because at the moment, you were freezing to death!” everybody smiled and giggled a little. 

“Ahjussi, are you blind? I wasn’t that stupid!” and now, everyone laughed. Min Kyung sifted her weight in her seat and glanced at Hye Bin who was looking extremely happy to her uncle. “Hye Bin ah, can you tell me more about what you’ve done? We missed you so much, but we couldn’t make a call, aigoo! Guess I’ll have to buy you the newest phone then,” “Madame, I don’t really like to have one. I’d like to keep myself as low as possible since I can’t see,” Gu Jeong shrugged and answered, “But you can give us your unnie’s number since you can’t and you don’t want to make any call to us.”

“Gu Jeong! It’s gonna be alright, okay? She’s grown up now, she makes her own choices. You’re just getting older, that’s about it.” Min Kyung smiled at Tae Woo, who winked at her and grinned playfully. “Madame, Ahjussi was right. I have my own choices. And you’re just getting older,” she smirked. “Okay then. I guess I’m going to shut my mouth from now since our Team Leader just cracked some secret,” Gu Jeong looked down with her fake-sad expression while Tae Woo squeezed her shoulder and shook her. “You should shut your mouth from now on, and you were right,” 

On the other side of life
Great silence hit the car since they hopped in and squeezed under their coats. Dae In stared solemnly at the window—he was thinking over what he’d done—the icy mouths muttered cheerfully on the street. People were roaming and talking under their cold breaths, except for Dae In. He wasn’t cheerful today like he usually was, because what he’d done might cost someone’s life, forever. 

Mr. Bang stopped the car suddenly and it made the tires screeched that loud. Dae In was shocked, and looked ahead. “What’s wrong?” he asked, “Sir, I guess we’re gonna be stuck in here for a while.” 

He looked ahead, and saw lots of cars were lining up and didn’t move at all; it was the traffic that made everyone huffed and furious. “Can we get to the nearest shortcut? I think we’re going to be late, Mr. Bang.” He sounded very concerned. “I can’t, Sir. It’s already being blocked; they are all being blocked,”
Dae In sighed deeply and sagged against the seat. He couldn’t be this late to the most important meeting he ever had. And the meeting had never blocked him before from anything, including love. 

Meanwhile…
His hair was dyed red. The happiest thing he had ever done was, coloring his hair with red color. He was quite stand-out among the crowd since his hair was well, red. He’s been feeling nervous since he got out from the plane and welcomed by his assistant who was also his driver, Ahjussi Jeong. “In Ha ya, why are you so quiet? I haven’t heard your voice yet since you crashed the airport,” Ahjussi Jeong glanced at the rearview mirror, so he could see In Ha in the backseat. “Nothing. I’m fine,”—he was staring at the people who were roaming, who gathered around and formed some crowd—“Ahjussi Jeong, do you think we’re going to be late today?” he glanced at him. “No, I guess. But, since you’ve never met—,” before he said the word, In Ha already cut him off. “Don’t say his name,” and that’s how the ride became silent.

She was sitting on a swinging-chair in the small garden behind the office. She was humming the song she listened to in her office and smiled to herself; she looked up the sky and sighed happily, breathing in the nice air. Min Kyung got out from the office and smiled to Hye Bin, “Ya, let’s go somewhere else. Your meeting is already over,” she sat down next to Hye Bin and crossed her arms, “I know. But I still want to be here for a little longer.” Her hair was beautifully shaking as she shrugged. “Hye Bin ah! Come on. Let’s go home or let’s go somewhere else. I’m getting bored,” 

“Unnie, can I stay much longer? I missed this garden so much. It’s been forever since our last meeting with Madame and Ahjussi,” she smiled and sighed. Min Kyung glanced at her confusedly and replied, “No, you can’t. You let me do the rest for today since you suddenly got up from your seat and went outside,” it made Hye Bin chuckled a little. “Unnie, I’m fine. Okay then, we’ll go somewhere else but first let me stay here for a while, okay?” she stared blankly at one space ahead. “No,”—Min Kyung got up and pulled her hand—“You can’t stay here. Come on, let’s get out of here,”—she pulled Hye Bin’s hand hardly and it made Hye Bin got up lazily—“But unnie—,” “There’s no ‘but’, okay?” and she curtsied, going back into the office to say goodbye.

“Han Dae In!” a woman shouted from behind, “It’s Jang Dae In, ahjumma,” he turned around and smiled. “Ah, yeah I’m getting older. How are you?” she waved at him happily, “I’m fine. Ahjumma, you look, really well you know. You’re prettier than before,” he blushed—they were at the market, where all the veggies and fruits mixed really well among the crowds—Dae In continued saying nice things while the ahjumma was busy selling, “Ya, Dae In ah, why are you coming back? It’s been a long time since you—,” he cut her off by smiling, “I know ahjumma. It’s not that hard to stay like that for a while. But I’m back now, so I missed you,” 

“Where have you been? My Ji Eun hasn’t seen you yet. She really missed you to death.” Suddenly, when the ahjumma cleared off the block by telling him what he’s been longing to hear, Dae In froze while staring at her sadly. He couldn’t take off his eyes and took away her pain. She was her second family, but Ji Eun, Gong Ji Eun. She was the reason why Dae In needed to leave.

“Ahjumma, I will buy 1 kg of cabbages and 1 kg of carrots. Do you mind if I buy those?” he asked, leaning forward. “Ya! Of course you can! You can take all of these, okay?”—she waved her hands toward her vegetables; she owned them, but since Dae In could take anything he wanted, she thought it would be okay—“No, I’m gonna pay them,” the ahjumma’s assistant came from inside by bringing two plastics of carrots and cabbages. Ahjumma gave those to Dae In, but she already refused, “Ya! Just keep it! I don’t want them!”—Dae In was trying to give her the money, but she shook it off—“Ahjumma, you will need it when I’m gone,” she shrugged sadly and stared at Dae In’s eyes.

“You’re like a son to me, Jang Dae In. Just keep it, but if you still insist on giving it to me, you can give it to Ji Eun; she’s off to college. She goes to Seoul University.” Dae In’s eyes were widened and they were shining, shimmering. “Ahjumma…. You’re the best mother I’ve ever had.” 

He approached the black luxurious sedan that was parked outside not far from the market. Mr. Bang was leaning against it, and when he saw Dae In, he straightened up. “Is it finished? Umm, was it finished?” he babbled excitedly—Dae In was still looking down sorrowfully without a reason. He looked at Mr. Bang and smiled—Mr. Bang could only sigh deeply and stared at his boss for a little while. “It’s hard, isn’t it?”  
Suddenly, a huge truck came toward them really fast from the right side. Dae In and Mr. Bang glanced at the truck when everyone was screaming loudly; it was too late because it all happened very slowly and blurry. The huge truck hit them both and the car, making a loud crashing sound that shocked everyone in horror. 

Hye Bin got up in shock, while she was still in her usual ponytail and she was still wearing her yellow sweatshirt under her red blanket. She looked around, and glimpsed at her blanket. She couldn't breathe; she couldn't feel the air. Has everything changed before I got up? She thought. She looked around one more time, making sure no one else was here beside her because what she saw couldn’t be more real; it was just a dream. She was breathing exasperatedly “Jang Dae In…….”

 

She ran downstairs and found Min Kyung was cooking something, "Unnie!" she approached her unnie and hugged her from behind. "What's wrong?" but before her unnie could answer, she already caught in her breath. "Unnie, there's something happened. Let's go to the market," she forced her unnie while pulling her away from the stoves, "Ya! Are you crazy? You just passed out in the cab two hours ago," Hye Bin stopped her pace, and stood there. She turned to look at her unnie and confused, "I didn't do anything. I didn't—," "You did, Hye Bin ah! It was quiet sunny, and we were heading somewhere. Suddenly you passed out just like that. I knew when you were trying to take a good nap, but when you were, your head fell just like that and i knew something was wrong. So, I decided to bring you home," 

"But, there was something wrong. We shouldn't have gone home! Let's go outside!" she pulled her unnie away from the stoves once again, but Min Kyung's phone suddenly rang loudly. Hye Bin gulped nervously. 

"I need to pick it up, okay? Just stay here," Min Kyung shook her hands off her and pushed Hye Bin to sit down, she went for her phone and picked it up. "Hello?" and a moment later, Min Kyung's face changed; she was surprised and stared at Hye Bin who was staring at her intensely. She finally hanged up. "It was from Jang Dae In."