ENTRY 04

REVERIE

                  Summer days are long; summer nights are short. A multitude of gradients inked the sky, as it hung low. Kyungsoo was at home, finishing some things for work. He didn’t detest working in an office, typing away all day long. This was the safest job out there. The pay was decent and there really wasn’t much to lose—but, was he content? Not in the slightest—he had something else in mind. Another path that he would’ve took, had he had the courage to pursue it.

He glanced over at his phone, and hesitantly grabbed it. He searched for her name through his contacts.

Ga… Na… Da… Ra… Ma… Ba… Sa… A…

He scrolled down faster, but failed to see her name or any unfamiliar contact. He sighed.

“She didn’t save it at all,” he complained, “That girl…—” suddenly, his phone rang. An unknown number was calling him. Oddly enough, the number seemed incoherent and unusual: 01000101-01011000-01001111. He blamed it on the malfunctions that occurred every now and then. He also considered that he was seeing things because of how tired he was. He paused, debating on whether or not he should answer it. In the end, he did.

“Hello?” he said, not meaning for his voice to come out thin.

“Do Kyungsoo!” the voice on the other line said, in a singsong voice.

“Ah, Jisoo.” he replied, suddenly feeling tense and relaxed at the same time.

“You never called me, so I called you instead.”

“I-Your number wasn’t—?”

“Don’t worry, I’ve already forgiven you. Let's meet up soon, okay?”

“… Okay?” the line became choppy. Anything she said after that was far too distorted for him to hear. He was almost able to pick up on the last thing that she said, but she’d hastily ended the phone call. He scratched the back of his head out of frustration, but it diffused quickly as he stared at his phone. A smile crept up unto his face, before he sighed in amusement.

“I missed her,” he said to himself. He started to work again, but before his full concentration was devoted into his project, the things in the back of hisi mind took over. He furrowed his brows.

‘Huh?’ he thought, ‘Why can’t I remember when I last saw her? Has she been gone for that long? Bad memories always flush themselves out of my memory, so if it’s gone—let's let it stay gone.’ he shrugged it off and continued working until the dead of night.

 

;

 

Kyungsoo held Jisoo’s hand, as she balanced on the edge of an elevated sidewalk. She sang happily to herself. He couldn’t help but smile. He watched her lovingly. He said nothing, he just enjoyed the moment; didn’t comment on how off-pitch she was, didn’t comment on how she got some of the lyrics wrong, didn’t comment on how she couldn’t reach the high notes, because in the end, he even if her voice was figuratively destructive to the human ear, he loved it. Because he loved her. Therefore, he loved it as well.

“Kyungsoo-ah,” she said, “What’s the tune of that song again?”

“What song?” he asked. He looked up at her, squinting. He loved how the light settled into her features.

“The one by that one guy in that one group. That guy who were on that show with the masks?”

“Lil’ Something?”

“Yes! That one! It’s the best. It’s like you and me. It’s our theme song.”

“… I don’t see it.”

“What. You don’t see any resemblance?”

“… Am I supposed to?”

“What?! Duh.”

“Then yes, I do.”

“You’re hopeless.”

“Sorry.”

“You’re forgiven. Well, you’re always forgiven. You’re lucky, you always get special treatment cause I love you.”

“I really am.”

She laughed. It was sweet and light, but felt mocking. The laughed echoed, it bounced around as if there were walls around them. Suddenly, the image of a beautiful memory melted away into nothing but solid black. Silence rang loudly in the air. Goosebumps formed on his skin. Then he heard her again. A faint whisper. She rarely whispered anything.

‘Wake up, sleepy head. It’s time to seize the day.’

And he did. He woke up.

A paper was plastered on his face, stuck on because of the drool. He’d fallen asleep while working. Wiping dried up drool off of his face, Kyungsoo groggily looked up at a nearby window. The depth of longing was evident in his eyes. There it was. That dark, pale blue high above. The time between when the moon has set, but the sun hasn’t risen yet.

He made his way from his living room and into his bedroom, laying down immediately on his bed.

“It’s still early, Jisoo,” he whispered, eyes drooping, “Let’s go back to sleep.”

His eyelids fell, but before they did, he saw her in bed curled up beside him. He fell back asleep, with his heart content.

‘Okay,’