Part 4

Mistaken Locker

A. N : Just so you don't get confused, this chapter begins just before Seulgi goes to talk to Wendy to ask about her "favor".

 

 

 

The school bell had just rang when Seulgi jumped out of her seat and made her way out of class. Amber and Krystal frowned a little after seeing their friend's behavior but shrugged it off, thinking the latter just badly wanted to go see her Taeyeon Sunbaenim.

"Seulgi?" Seulgi stopped in her tracks just as she was about to leave the classroom, turning towards them.

"Where are you going, you little rascal? Spying on your Taeyeon Sunbaenim?" Amber .

"Shh!!! Don't say it so loud!." She tried to hush her. "I'm going to see Wendy."

"Oh. Is she the one who received the letter then?" Krystal asked her.

"No, I just have something to ask her! I'll see you after!" She then began running again.

"Why is she running? It's recess time, it's not like talking to Wendy will take all her free time, right?"

"Don't know, must be urgent." Amber shrugged her shoulders.

"Maybe it's about detention?" Krystal hypothesized.

"Again?" Amber asked her.

This time, it was Krystal who shrugged her shoulders.

"Let's just watch them and tease Seulgi later." Krystal said before giggling and following the bear-like girl.

 

 

 

"Can you hear them?" Amber asked her.

"No, I can't hear anything." Krystal shook her head. "We should try to get closer to them."

"Yo! What are you two doing?" A voice behind them asked, making them jump in surprise.

"Ah, Sehun ! You scared us!" Krystal whispered.

"Shh ! We're trying to listen to Seulgi and Wendy." Amber hushed them, her eyes still focused on the two girls.

"Wendy? Who's Wendy?" He asked bewildered.

Amber mentally face palmed herself and pointed her head towards Seulgi and Wendy.

"I'm not even surprised you're one of Seulgi's best friends..." Krystal uttered.

"What are they talking about?" Sehun asked curiously.

"That's what we're trying to found out!"

 

 

 

Meanwhile, on the other side, Joy and Irene were also watching an apprehensive Wendy and a smiling Seulgi.

"They're quite comfortable around each other, huh?" Irene lightly nudged Joy, after seeing Seulgi's beam and her cheerful behavior.

Joy looked skeptical about it but did not say anything, preferring to continue looking at them. There was no way she would acknowledge any closeness between the two. She still could not erase the uneasiness whenever she was near the bear-like girl.

"I told you Seulgi was just shy!" Irene added excitedly.

"You said she was a coward." Joy muttered and rolled her eyes.

"See? She even slapped her arm! Fighting Wendy!" Irene ignored her, still concentrated on Wendy, and pumped her fist.

"She can't see you, stop doing that!" She was getting mad.

"What? You're not supporting Seuldy?" Irene turned to her, feigning a shock expression on her face.

"What nonsense are you saying? Why would I ship them when..." Joy looked back at them and saw Wendy frowning her eyebrows.

"Oh oh, Wendy's frowning!!! See? That's exactly why I don't like Seulgi and I won't ship them!" Joy added angrily, already getting ready to hit Seulgi who had dared making Wendy frown.

"That doesn't sound really good!" Irene frowned as well. "I can't hear what Seulgi's saying... Can you?"

"No. Wait. I think Wendy's replying something."

"No, she's just bidding goodbye."

"Why is Seulgi going after her? Can't she see she's made Wendy upset? I swear I'm gonna go there and-"

"Stop it Joy! See? They're parting ways."

"Hey, why isn't she coming to us?" Irene asked, her eyes following Wendy's running figure.

"Where is she going?" Joy added.

Joy and Irene looked at each other and nodded their head.

"Let's follow her."

 

 



Krystal and Amber, still bickering with Sehun, did not notice right away the figure coming closer to them. It was Sehun who was first the one to see Seulgi and called out to her.

"Hey, Seulgi!" He happily greeted her while throwing his arms to the air.

However, the said girl did not seem to notice him or ignored him - they were not sure - and passed through them.

"Seulgi?"

"Hey, Seulgi! Where are you going?" Amber asked, making Seulgi stop in her tracks.

"To class. Where else?" She plainly replied.

"But, we still have some time, before the end of recess time. Come here!"

"Yeah, come!" Sehun added. "What did you talk about with Windy?"

"It's Wendy, Sehun..." Amber mentally face palmed herself for the second time.

"Just asking her to help me with finding who owns the locker."

"That's all?" Amber wanted to know if there was more to it than just asking her for the locker.

"Yeah, that's all. Why?"

"Erm... No, just wondering."

"Okay, I'm going." She then walked away.

"Something's wrong, right?" Amber asked the two other.

"Yeah... Something's definitely wrong... But what?" Krystal watched Seulgi's disappearing figure.


 




Wendy passed by her friends, ignoring their worried looks, and ran to the toilets with tears already flowing down her cheeks. Hopefully, no one really noticed she was crying as she had her head hung low.

She locked herself inside one of the stall and immediately broke down. She tried to repress her sobs but she could not stop them. Her back, which was previously leaning on the wall, fell down. She was sitting down, her head on her knees.  

It seemed like reality hit her hard in the face. She was not expecting that, at all. She should have been more cautious about the letter and not jump into the conclusion that Seulgi had fallen for her.

Irene and Joy were right to have their doubts. Indeed, she had just been delusional right from the start. She fell into the trap of excitement.

She got really excited, could not even sleep well the previous night. She really should have known better than getting overexcited, in just one day. One big eventful day which made her feel so many emotions for Seulgi.

She had discovered new kind of excitement, new kind of feelings that made her feel all giddy inside. But at the moment, she could only feel disappointment. A huge disappointment and she could not blame anyone but her for feeling so low.

Of course she thought the letter was for her. Nearly everything inside it could perfectly describe her. Just like Taeyeon, she sang since she was also part of the music club and she happened to often wear blue clothes, just like Taeyeon's favorite color.

She should have noticed it the previous day when Seulgi forgot about her and kept her focus on Taeyeon. She should have seen the way Seulgi could not take her eyes away from the other girl. Though it could not be denied Taeyeon was quite the eye-catcher kind of girl, not everybody looked at her that way, with so much passion.

She could not help feeling stupid. Really stupid when she thought about it. It was clear Seulgi would never look at her like that. And it was even more stupid from her to look at Seulgi with a different feeling in her chest. Maybe it would go away, maybe it would not.

It did not take long before rushed footsteps could be heard inside the washroom.

"Wendy! You're in there?" Wendy recognized Irene's voice calling out to her.

She nodded as she could not make any sound, worried her tears would fall even more and her sobs would be heard from everyone. After some long seconds, she finally found the strength to get up and opened slowly her door.

"Wendy!" It was Joy who came in first and embraced the other girl.

Wendy then could not stop the tears anymore, she was glad Joy and Irene were there for her and the walls broke down easily with them. They took her out of the bathroom and found a quiet place to talk.

"What happened, Wendy?" Irene asked her while gently holding her hand.

 

 

Wendy then told them what happened, well more like managed to tell them what happened between sobs and small tears.

"It hurt so much... I really thought I could begin something with her..."

"I swear I'm gonna hit her!!! So hard that she won't ever-" Joy could not stop the anger in her. She had had enough of the girl's playing with Wendy's emotions, whether it was deliberate or not.

"Stop being so violent, Joy... Seulgi's not even aware of what's really happening."

"What? How can I not be violent after all of this? I don't care if she's aware of it or not! She hurt Wendy!"

"So what if you hurt her, huh? Do you think she would-" Irene got cut off by Wendy.

"Stop it you two. It's not her fault she got the wrong locker. I was just being delusional. You guys were right... I shouldn't have gotten so excited about it..."

Irene and Joy remained silent.

"I'm just gonna take some distance with her and then... I'll see what I'll do..."

"But what are you gonna do about the locker?" Irene asked her.

"I have an idea." Joy replied while clapping her hands together.

 


 

The day passed by slowly for Seulgi. She had managed to avoid Krystal and Amber's curious stares and the meaning behind them. She had not caught a glimpse of Wendy, even though she heard some students talking between them of how they had seen Wendy crying while running. She felt guilty and really thought she was the one who made her cry, though she did not know why and how. All they talked about was the locker and the music club. What could have gone wrong?

She did not hesitate in taking her time to go back home and arriving later than usual.

"Why are you late tonight too? Did you get detention again?"

Seulgi kept mum, lowering her head as she sat down rather heavily on the chair.

Her mother noticed the lack of energy from Seulgi.

"Are you alright?" Her mother gently asked, making Seulgi frown.

"You know mom, today I asked the same thing to someone and I think I made her cry... But I don't even know why... And I feel really bad now..."

"Why would you make her cry?"

"That's the point! I don't even know why!" Seulgi cried out.

"Don't put the blame on yourself, maybe she was just tired or she remembered something that made her sad? What were you two talking about?"

"Nothing important... I think. At least not for her." She sighed.

"Don't worry, tomorrow will be better, believe me." Seulgi's mother smiled fondly at her.
 

 

 

The next morning, Wendy woke up, feeling more tired than ever. She could also feel her swollen eyes and sighed desperately. She tiredly got up from her bed and made her way out her bedroom, already feeling sick of the upcoming day.

When she finally arrived at school, her attire could mislead anyone at the moment. The previous signs of her crying had completely disappeared and a smile never left her lips as she walked down the corridors. When she finally greeted Joy and Irene, she knew she could not fool them. And she was right, they clearly saw through her and gave her a small smile as a greeting.

However, Wendy wanted to avoid Seulgi at all cost. She did not know if her façade would still be as strong as it was until now. She wondered if the other girl had noticed her change of mood the day before. And it was better that way. If not, she was sure the latter would come and see her, asking her if was feeling better.

Still, she was bound to talk to her in the near future, as she had to tell Seulgi who owned the locker 389. She hoped Seulgi would not come anytime soon. She still needed some time for herself, if she did not want to appear weak in front of the other girl.

After all, she first had to do what Joy had advised her to do. And then she would just wait and see. Wait for Seulgi to come to her.

 

 

Krystal was standing not far away from the three of them and noticed the worried gaze given by Joy and Irene. She knew something was still not right, she had a feeling about it. But she could not pinpoint what and she also did not know how she could approach the latter without being too suspicious.

"Why are you staring at them like that?" Amber playfully nudged her.

"Oh, nothing. Just trying to see what's going."

"Well, Wendy's smiling like always. It seems everything's back to before, right?"

"Hmm... I'm not so sure about that..."

"Why are you saying that?"

"Just a disturbing feeling I have." Krystal shrugged her shoulders. "Forget it. Maybe I'm just overthinking." She then took one last look at Wendy before turning back towards Amber and seeing Seulgi approaching.

Should I tell Seulgi something's not right?

 

 

Seulgi arrived to school and spotted her two girl friends. When she was about to make her way to them, she noticed a familiar girl standing not so far from her. A radiating smile on her face made Seulgi let out a breath she did not know she had been holding. She was glad Wendy was feeling better, it instantly lifted her mood. She was glad a smile was back on Wendy's face, it made her feel better almost instantly. She also felt relieved and recalled the talk she had with her mother the previous day.

She then decided she would pay a visit to the other girl during the day or in the evening. Maybe the girl had already looked for her who owned the blasted locker. She thought it would be better if she went to student council's room after class.

 

 

 

It was finally the end of her classes and Luna decided to go to the student council's room - the 'headquarter' as she liked to call it - in order to see if everything was going smoothly. When she entered, no one was inside. She frowned and thought about how the other members were not that serious about it. Except Wendy who was coming everyday, she could not really say the organization was great.

Seulgi came to the student council's room as she wanted to ask Wendy if she had found what she had asked her.

"Locker number 389? Well, let me think... It seems familiar..." Luna thought hard about it. She was sure she knew who owned it. Was it not the locker of someone from the student council? She was not sure.

"It does?" Seulgi could feel her heart beating rapidly. She was close to knowing who owned it.

"Yeah..." Luna was still deeply thinking.

Wendy came in and noticed two figures already inside. She greeted Luna and turned towards the second person standing near Luna.

"Oh, S-seulgi! You're already here... I mean, you're here?" She awkwardly say, surprised the latter would be in a hurry like that.

"Yeah, I came for the locker. You know..." Seulgi got shy and rubbed her neck.

"Oh yeah, right." She tried to act nonchalant about it. "I looked it up for you. Nobody owns it." Wendy said and Luna frowned a little. She was quite sure someone owned it. However, Seulgi did not notice the frown on her face as all her attention was on Wendy.

"Well, I have to go. Bye Seulgi. See you later Wendy." Luna went outside as she sensed Wendy was not being her usual self. She sensed something fishy but did not say anything about it.

"Maybe the letter's still inside it ?" Wendy suggested, already knowing the answer. She then took a pass from the drawer and made her way out. "Come on, follow me."

 

Flashback  

"It's a chance you didn't reap the envelope apart when you opened it." Joy took the envelope and put the letter back in and put some glue on it in order to reseal it. "Now you can close it as if you'd never opened it before."

"So... I just put it back like that? As if I'd never opened it?"

"Yeah, exactly!"

"Okay... But isn't it a little bit weird? I mean, she's gonna think nobody knows about it except her and me... But you two also know about it. And we know what's inside precisely! And-"

"Listen, Wendy. It's easier like that. She's gonna take it back and then she'll leave you alone. You don't wanna hurt yourself anymore, right?"

Wendy nodded firmly.

Earlier in the morning, just before going to class, she made her way to her soon to be ex-locker. She made sure neither Seulgi nor her friends were around before she put the letter back inside the locker and removed her stuff to make it seem like nobody owned it.

End of flashback

 

Seulgi was standing in front of the locker and nervously watched Wendy opening it effortlessly with the pass. When the door was opened and Wendy moved aside, she felt relieved. Nobody had received the letter. It was still in there, untouched.

Or so she thought.

Wendy saw Seulgi sighing in relief and could not help feeling bad for lying. However, she carried on regardless. After all, once she had begun, she could not step back. Not now, not when she wanted to heal her fragile and unexperienced heart.

She saw Seulgi beaming at her and remorse came back to her.

"Thank you, Wendy! Really! I'm so glad I can take it back! You don't know how much I worried about someone finding it and reading it!"

It's better this way... So why is my heart still aching?

 

 

 

 

A. N : So... What do you think about it? Do you think it was a good idea for Wendy to put it back as if no one read it?