Chapter Five

Love, Happiness, and Selfishness

I finally come up with something to say. Stupid, but it’s something.

“So you’re working with Haengbok!” I respond.

It sounds so stupid! No, I sound so stupid! Man, why does he have to be like this! No, I should not be blaming Jongin. Why am I like this? Ugh... Haengbok’s always the lucky one. When I look back at the spot where he was standing, I notice he’s gone. Oh well, I need to get work done anyway.

Two hours go by, and after barely finishing a third of my work, I take a small break and go and try to find Suji.

Instead, I find my brother and Jongin working on the project. I hear boring stuff I already knew about Haengbok at first, like how he volunteered sometimes when he was little, or like when he was on the school’s soccer team when he was a twelve. They seem to have a good time during the process. A joke, here and there, and a small smirk from Haengbok, which is one of the first times he has showed any positive emotion in a while.

I feel really glad for my brother. I haven’t seen him happy since I stained my favorite dress on our birthday party. He wasn’t laughing like he was insulting me, but like it was just cute. He isn’t actually smiling but smirking cuts it for me. I miss the old Haengbok.

And the fact that Jongin can make him smile, what are the odds? He just has that feeling around him that makes him so...likeable. Even Haengbok is warming up to him. It’s almost perfect!

It seems like it’s Jongin’s turn to be interviewed now.

“Where did you go to elementary school in Seoul?” Haengbok questions, with a notebook and pen in his hands, ready to jot down anything useful.

“Gireum Elementary,” he responds, in that sweet tone that makes every girl in distance swoon.

“Alright. So—”

My brother seems to take notice that I am spying on them. I make a begging motion with my hands and then mouth a big ‘no’ to him. He gets what I’m trying to say, but still, he alerts Jongin. Snitch...

Jongin looks really weirded out by this. Why does everything hate me? He frowns at me, like I was some kind of sickening creature. I am actually scared of what he’ll do to me.

“Sarang,” Jongin starts, making my heart skip a beat, “what time is it?”

I am disappointed at how he ends his sentence. But what can I expect? Was I expecting him to forgive me for obviously invading his personal conversation and proclaim his love for me? Did I want him to ask me on a date? Did I think he was about to kiss me?

He acted as if nothing at all happened, but I could see he was actually sort of angry.

I look down at my watch, and see it is getting pretty late.

“Half past five,” I say, without a stutter of nervousness in my voice.

“Oh,” Haengbok butts in, “Mom will be mad if we don’t get home by six.”

“But I need to find Suji so—”

“Oh, Suji left already. Had one heck of a headache earlier and went home. I’m pretty sure she puked somewhere too. She told us to tell you that she would probably be missing school for a little bit. Like for the rest of the week.”

She knows my phone number, so why would she tell Haengbok and Jong—

She wanted to talk to Jongin, didn’t she? Great, now Jongin thinks I’m a nosy freak, and Suji is an ill, innocent angel. Well, I’m not sure about the innocent angel part, but I know probably she tried extra hard to look nice and fluffy and cute around Jongin.

“Come on, Sarang.”

The three of us walk out the library door and onto the sidewalk. Then I remember where Jongin lives—almost right next-door to us. This’ll be awkward.

It’s really windy today and, I happened to not bring my jacket, so I get to freeze to death. I notice how Jongin’s hair looks in the wind. It’s so perfect and soft... It always looks like it has just been styled but he hardly does anything to it, as I can tell. Sigh, how can I make him mine? Aren’t I good enough? Aren’t I smart or pretty enough? What more do I have to be?

I walk, slightly lagging, behind the both of them to avoid any conversation. Besides the noise of the cars, it’s silent. Later I can see Haengbok’s and Jongin’s breath in the cold, and they are definitely talking. Probably about the incident in the library.

We soon are at our house where Jongin says goodbye and leaves. That went better than I thought.

As soon as we get inside, our grandmother greets us.

“Sarang, Haengbok, come and eat dinner.”

“Actually, Grandma, I’m going to take a shower,” Haengbok replies, as he, without any approval of his decision, heads upstairs.

We eat the normal food that we usually eat, but it it tastes bland. I finish it all up and go to my room.

I am more than a bit surprised to see Haengbok sitting on my bed, considering he hasn’t been on my side of our room for years.

“We need to talk,” he states in a serious tone.

I nod my head. He hasn’t wanted, as in voluntarily and didn’t absolutely need to, to have a serious talk with me in a while.

“You were spying on us at the library. I thought you weren’t one of those girls that follow him everywhere and fangirl over him like he doesn’t have his own problems.

“He...has problems? Like what kind—nevermind,” I say, glad to stop myself from being nosy again.

“He has normal things to deal with—like normal people, and it would be a whole mess easier if he didn’t have girls chasing after him like you chase after lollipops. So just stop it. I know you like him, but don’t be like all those other girls and stalk him!”

I see how much Haengbok knows about the present me. My addiction to lollipops started August, 2006 and ended in in about eight months. Then, he knows that I like Jongin. His only real proof is that I was spying on them. This is probably the only thing he’s learned about me since my lollipop phase. I can’t believe how much we have grown apart. He’s my own twin brother! I just don’t really get how we aren’t close. I know we never talk or anything, but why? I bet normal twins aren’t like him and I...

Haengbok, with his message said, stands up, shoves me out of the way on the way out the door.

I yell at him to come back so we can properly talk about this, but he acts like I’m not there and keeps on moving.

Now, I can’t even predict what will happen to me. My twin hates me more than ever, my best friend is “sick”, leaving me to survive school by myself for a week, and my crush thinks I’m one of his super crazy fans. What now?


a/n: Heya, lovelies! It's been more than a month, sorry!
Anyway, you might have noticed that the writing style is kinda different in this chapter, right? That’s cuz my dear co-author wrote most of it and I just edited. ^-^ Isn’t she awesome?
I had edit some bits, since it didn’t really fit Sarang’s personality. >.<