Chapter Two

Love, Happiness, and Selfishness

I can feel my heart beating—pounding—in my chest, but the rest of my body is numb. Can this really be happening? The most perfect boy in the world is in my class? Is this real?

He doesn’t seem like the type to be here, in a small town on the edge of nowhere. He looks more like someone who belongs in the big city, like those playboys in dramas. Yet, he doesn’t seem like a player either. He’s got some kind of cool charisma, but doesn’t flaunt it—or at least isn’t trying to. I don’t know, but he looks like the type of guy who’s just...likable. Beautiful, but not conceited. Eye-catching, but not completely, blindingly, strikingly dazzling...

I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore. I just know that this boy is in my life for a reason. Our fates must be connect somehow for some reason—I can feel that this is true.

“So, young man, briefly introduce yourself, will you? Your name and just something you’d like to say,” Missus Lee said to him.
He speaks quietly, but I can just barely make out his words. “I’m from Seoul and, uh, hi. My name’s...Jongin.”

Jongin. Such a beautiful name for such a beautiful person! And he’s from Seoul. Just as I suspected—a city boy. Nothing ever happens here, so I wonder why he moved from the capital to this quiet area.

I realize I was in a daze for the last ten minutes and class already started. I get out my notebook and pen, and I jot down the notes on the board as fast as I can. In the corner of my eye, I see my brother, absentmindedly staring out the window, and I think Jongin is sitting in front of him. His hair looks really smooth. If only I was Haengbok right now! I’d be able to see Jongin’s cute little head right before me.

After a long lecture from Missus Lee and pages and pages of bookwork, we finally get a twenty minute break. Instead of going to talk to Jongin, I get out of class to see my friends. On my way out the door, I can’t help but overhear some girls talking about Jongin.

“He’s so cute—”

“Beautiful—”

“I think I’m in love—”

I try to tune them out when I spot my friend, Suji. As soon as our eyes meet, she rushes over to me, and the first thing she does is ask me about him. “I heard there’s a hot new boy in your class? Is he really, really—” She squeals. “I heard he’s super cute—”

“Yes, he is,” I say, trying not to get too excited. “His name is Jongin, and I think—think—he moved into the house where the the Kwons used to live, and my grandmother told me about him. He’s basically perfect.” Suji and I spend the rest of our break fangirling and obsessing, even though we barely know anything about Jongin.

When I go back into the classroom, there’s a group of girls surrounding Jongin. They’re still chatting with him, but it kind of seems like he doesn’t like all the attention. I think he just looked at me. I think he just smiled a bit at me. I think I’m dreaming. If I am, please don’t let me wake up!

Missus Lee makes the girls who were surrounding Jongin go back to their seats, and she starts another lecture. Sometimes I wish our school was like in America, where students move from class to class. It’s boring sitting in one seat all day.

I can’t pay attention to the lesson today, because I keep daydreaming, like Haengbok always does. Usually, I’m every focused in class, but there’s something different about today...

After what seems to be an eternity, it’s finally lunch time. Everyone leaves the classroom. I try to approach Jongin, but all the other girls are crowding around him. Right before I’m able to get out of the room, Missus Lee calls me back inside.

“Sarang, could you do me a favor?” she asks. “I need you to tutor someone.”

“Hm? Sorry, I can’t,” I reply. “I think that a while, I’m going to be busy, trying to catch up on work that I missed over the last month, since I was in China.”

Missus Lee nods, understanding. “Oh, well, maybe I could ask someone else,” she says. “You may leave now, Sarang.”

“Thank you, Missus Lee,” I bow my head politely, and then go out to eat with Suji and the rest of my friends.

In the cafeteria, there’s still a bunch of girls around Jongin. I remember when our family first moved here. Everyone flocked around Haengbok and I, since we were apparently the only twins in the whole school. It was a little annoying at first, but at least I made a bunch of new friends.

Suji calls me over to the table where all our friends are at.

“Can you believe it?” Minyoung scoffs. “They’re all flirting with the new guy and making him feel uncomfortable. They’ll never win his heart that way.”

“I think a few girl already confessed to him,” Suji says. “There’s a sad group over there.” She points at a nearby table where a few girls are hanging their heads in sorrow. “What would happen if I confessed to him?”

I can’t believe how fast things like this happen and how fast news travels. “Wow, poor them,” I say. “But there’s, like, ten of them. They couldn’t have all asked him out—and he couldn’t have rejected all of them harshly, right?”

Minyoung and Suji shrug. “Who knows?” Minyoung says. “He might not even be interested in getting a girlfriend right now, since he just moved here.”

“Maybe Sarang can get close to him for me, right?” Suji asks. “He lives near you. You can become his friend, and since I’m your friend, I’ll be his friend, too!” She giggles.

We all laugh and joke around some more. I keep on trying to look at Jongin, but the girls are blocking me view. I remember that split second in class when he smiled at me. Maybe he thinks I’m cute. Maybe...he rejected those girls because he likes me?


a/n: I just realized this story was created the day before the first Exo teaser was released...
I’m going to SMTOWN @ Honda Center later today and I think I’ll die. Okay, bye now~