Chapter One

Love, Happiness, and Selfishness

I wake up, and I’m immediately stunned by the light entering my eyes. After I get over the brightness, I realized I’m in Korea—in my room, in the house I grew up in. The walls of the room were painted a shade of blue that matched the clear, cloudless sky perfectly. For a second, I wonder why it’s brighter than usual. Then, I look up and realize that the sky light isn’t covered for some reason. Good thing the curtains were drawn on the window looking over my bed. Since my side of the room is on the east, the sunrise would blind me otherwise.

I look at the curtain of hanging blankets that goes all the way to the floor, dividing the room in half. The room would look so much bigger if we didn’t have to split it in half like this, but since there aren't enough bedrooms for us to each have our own, Haengbok and I share this one. At least we got the second largest room in the house.

I sit up and rub the sleep from my eyes. I pout, because I remember I have to go to school today, even though we just got back from China last night. I throw my blanket off my body and get out of bed. I get my school uniform out of the closet that I also have to share with Haengbok. The uniform is just a white, long-sleeved collared shirt, a navy blue blazer, and a matching pleated skirt that goes down to my knees. I cross over Haengbok’s side of the room to get to the door. He’s still asleep, so I make sure to close the door quietly. It’s still early, so I’ll wake him up later.

I brush my teeth, and then take a shower. As I lather my hair with strawberry-scented shampoo, I remember that there’s a boy that just moved in a few houses past ours. Grandma told me a lot of good things about him. I hope I can see him at school, and if not, maybe I’ll visit their house after school. I really want to meet him.

After my shower, I dry my hair as best as I can with my fluffy, lavender towel. Mom doesn’t let me do anything to my hair like dying, straightening, or even blow-drying it. She precisely cuts me hair herself, and doesn’t let anyone else touch it. I think it’s because one time, when I was a kid, the barber seriously messed up on my haircut. He cut my hair really short, because he thought I was the boy twin. Everyone in primary school teased me for it. Mom says girls who have short hair aren’t right in the head.

Anyway, once I’m done putting on my uniform and brushing my hair to perfection, I go back to the bedroom to wake up my brother. Then, I go into the kitchen and help Grandma with breakfast. She says she’s tired, so I have to finish up everything by myself. Mom wakes up and offers to finish making breakfast, but Grandma says that I should start getting used to doing stuff like this on my own.

Breakfast seems like a blur, because Mom keeps on scolding Haengbok for waking up late, but Grandma defends him. I eat quickly so I can leave. I drag Haengbok along with me, saying we’ll be late. He thanks me for helping escape that situation.

“I just hate how they argue over stupid stuff all the time,” I tell him as we walk toward school. “Mother-in-laws don’t tend to like their kids’ spouses, and the other way around, too.”

He nods. “That’s just how it is, I guess.”

We’re three houses away from home now, and I freeze. This is the house. This is the house the Kwon family used to live in. Oh my god. There’s a guy—a guy about our age—walking out the door. Holy—

“Sarang,” Haengbok calls my name. I can still hear his voice, even if it is really soft. He’s ahead of me, but he has stopped walking. “What are you doing?”

I look at my twin, then back at the house. The boy isn’t there anymore. I think he went back inside. I jog a little to catch up with Haengbok. We walk the rest of the way without a word. My heart is beating like it does after I run a mile, and I can’t get it to calm down. Just a glimpse of that guy, and I think I’ve fallen for him. Is this love at first sight?

His hair is dark and wavy, or maybe it was just messy when I saw it, but it looks really attractive that way. I couldn’t really see his face well, but I’ll believe what Grandma said about him being extremely good-looking. His skin is as pale as mine, maybe even a little lighter. I remember him wearing a navy blue blazer and tan pants—our school uniform! Yes!

I can’t stop my lips from forming a smile. The smile turns into a wide grin, ear to ear.

“Why are you so happ—” I squish the life out of my younger twin before he could finish the word that is his name.

“I’m just so excited to see everyone again!” I make up an excuse and squeeze him even tighter. It’s not a lie, because everyone includes that boy. “Okay, let’s go!” I let go of Haengbok and run to the school gates, where my friends are waiting to embrace me. They all say they missed me, and I missed them all, too. They ask me how was Beijing, but don’t let me answer. Instead, they start filling me in on everything that happened while I was gone.

“Last week, things got weird,” one of my closest friends says. I try to focus on what she’s saying as we pass by loud crowds of people. “They started enforcing the rules about a lot more. Now, all girls are required to wear the skirts, not pants, and some tomboys got suspended,” she informs me. “I think it’s stupid.”

My other friends and I start adding in their own comments and opinions. We all start talking over each other, and it becomes a cacophony. Then, all the noise stops for a second when the bell rings. We say our goodbyes at the same time as we break up into smaller groups to go to our classes.

As soon as I step into the class, I scan it to see if there are any unfamiliar faces. I’m disappointed when there are none to be found. I sit down at my desk, which is near the middle of the classroom. I remind myself I still have six classes that I could have with him. Then again, I don’t even know if we’re in the same year.

Haengbok is almost late, along with another boy, but when the teacher opens , she doesn’t scold them. Instead, she says, “Oh, our new student!”


a/n: Our lover boy will be decided and revealed in the next chapter~ :) Also, I kinda sick right now and feel a little woozy, so if something doesn't make sense, please inform me! I'll fix/explain things when I'm feeling better. ^^