Study Buddies (BaekChen)

One Plus One Equals Three: The BaekChenLay Chronicles

pairing: BaekChen
length: 777 words

“Baekhyun, what are you doing?” Jongdae stared at the living room, where there were several bags strewn across the couch and the floor.

“I’m going to study,” the older male answered matter-of-factly as he dumped another bag onto their brown leather armchair before reentering their shared bedroom to retrieve more items.

“You look like you’re going camping,” Jongdae observed, glancing at his roommate’s charcoal gray blanket folded on top of a bright red sleeping bag. A plump pillow leaned against the bag as well and the younger male noticed several articles of clothing peeking out of the reusable bags they were placed in. Now he knew why Baekhyun insisted on hoarding all of these bags that he had acquired for free throughout the year at school events in their living room closet. He groaned when he saw his roommate’s favorite pair of large, fluffy panda slippers packed up with a pair of black flip-flops. “Seriously, Baek, how is any of this going to help you study?”

Baekhyun returned to the living room, dressed in his seal onesie with his packed laptop bag slung across his chest. “Didn’t you hear? The humanities building is open 24/7 during finals week. I’m staying there until my finals are over. That’s why I need all of this. I’m not going to sleep directly on the floor. That’s gross, Dae. Do you know how many people walk on that floor?”

God, his roommate was weird. “What makes the humanities building any better than our apartment?” Jongdae argued, slightly miffed that the older male hadn’t invited him to study with him, even if they were in completely different majors. “Our apartment is open 24/7 as well.”

“I have back-to-back biology and chemistry finals. If I study here, I’ll be tempted to sleep instead of study.” Baekhyun began hooking his arms through the straps of all the bags he had packed for his week-long study session. “And this way, I’ll focus on learning instead of messing around on League or Overwatch.”

“You’re not going to stay there the entire week, are you?”

“Of course not. I’ll come back in the mornings to shower and eat. And I’ll be back before you know it. It’s only until I’m done with my finals.”

Jongdae watched the bumbling neuroscience student, who kept dropping things as he slowly inched his way to the apartment door. With his right eyebrow slightly raised, Jongdae asked before his roommate could grab the doorknob, “Baek, where are your textbooks?”

His roommate hastily looked through his bags before glancing at the younger male, a strawberry blush painting his cheeks. “Oops.”

The music student sighed as he walked over to the table where the two of them usually studied, and grabbed Baekhyun’s extremely thick biology and chemistry textbooks. “You’re an idiot, you know that?”

“The stress must be getting to me,” Baekhyun answered with a sheepish smile on his face.

“Dummy. Even if you’re stressed, you can’t forget your textbooks if you’re going to be studying and pulling all-nighters. Don’t leave yet.” Jongdae set his roommate’s textbooks on the kitchen counter before disappearing into their bedroom. The younger male reappeared with his own backpack and a small carryon bag filled with clothes.

Baekhyun’s eyes lit up as he asked, “You’re coming with me?”

“Of course, stupid. Who else is going to drag all of this to the humanities building with you?” Jongdae answered, gesturing to the multiple overflowing bags in Baekhyun’s arms. “And I’ll make sure you end up actually studying, because God knows you have horrible self-control.”

“You make it sound like you’re going to be baby-sitting me the entire time,” the older male commented with a pout as he gratefully passed some of the bags to Jongdae.

“If you didn’t have me, you wouldn’t be able to tie your shoes, much less get up in the morning, you lazy kid.” Jongdae picked up Baekhyun’s textbooks again now that his hands were free after loading half of the neuroscience student’s stuffed bags onto his own arms.

“I don’t need to wake up as early as you do,” Baekhyun retorted in a whiny voice. “I prefer to sleep in when I can, unlike you, Mr. I-Rise-With-The-Sun.”

“Then I guess you’re walking all of this to the humanities building yourself then since you clearly don’t need me.” The music student grinned evilly as he saw a look of panic cross his roommate’s face.

“No, please, you know I always need you, Jongdae! Don’t leave me!”

With a triumphant smile, the younger male walked with his dork of a roommate to the humanities building, feeling the cool crisp evening air blow through his slightly tousled hair.

♈♈♈