Chapter 2: The Beginning

Let's Not Fall In Love

Jiyong's POV.


It was in 4th grade when our eyes met for the first time. Your gaze felt empty but it sure was something. And I found myself staring at your deep black hair when you suddenly cracked the silence between us with a single hello. Your sweet smile brought us together as friends and survived the year together successfully.

Came 5th grade when my dad started to take the route around your hood to pick you up for school. From then, we began to have the same ride to and from the school together. I noticed how our parents make good friends and how I found myself comfortable around you because of that. Our conversations bulk mostly about how good your mom’s cooking is until you invited me to come over just to prove it - then I knew how good of a daughter you are, yourself. And at that early age, unlike any other kid who would’ve wanted to have a professional career someday, I wanted to be the most decent guy a girl could have. You could have. I came over a lot of times to watch together the movies you head-over-heels attached to. I was actually never a fan of movies but I just suddenly found myself watching them with you. It was perfect how we could just drop off by each other’s house to watch and play together, how we go to school together, how we fight over the XBOX controller, and how you make me laugh with tiny funny gestures. It was surprising how our hands touch sometimes but it was enough to make my heart flutter.  It was perfect how your hair complements your milky skin and how your sweet smile tied us together.

Then time went by, my family suddenly agreed to leave Korea for business purposes. I was thirteen then, currently having the taste of what first love offered me. But no matter how bad I wanted to speak up for me just to stay, I stumbled over my words and found myself powerless – what can a thirteen year-old boy can do? I stared into nothingness over that weekend that I can hardly think straight.

It was Monday and I only had a week left in school. You looked calm yet bright just like how the sun reflects through the sea when it sets. But at that time, I felt the exact opposite - I was a mess trying to gather up my courage to confess. With all these thoughts up in my head, I lost the battle between myself and found anxiety creeping inside me thinking that with your angelic face and star-filled eyes, no wonder why the boys in my class looked at you the way I do.  

More than anything, it never crossed my mind to break what we already had then. I promised myself to grow up a little decent so I could show you the face of a real guy you can someday show your family.

So I wasted that week with a messed up self drowning into nothingness. I was a complete jerk leaving you just like that. Words can’t seem to find its way that I can’t even roll my tongue with a single goodbye. But I guess this was the reason why I haven’t bid my farewell then.

How have you been, Dara?

From five years ago, it’s still fresh in my memory how you tuck your hair behind your ears and how stars fill your eyes. But today, I see a different Dara. Your eyes aren’t only filled with stars – it has its own galaxy. And I love how the sun shines at your side making your hair even browner.

“Excuse me?” The barista spoke a sound but I didn’t realize it was directed at me. I’m completely caught in the moment that I can’t even take my eyes off of you.

“What coffee would you like, Sir?” Then I snapped out of it.

“One Iced Americano please. Thank you.”

I sat down a few tables across your seat thinking I’m back to square one. I wanted to be with you again and embrace the sense of first love the second time around. You sit there perfectly while you jot down notes in your pad topped on your crossed laps. It was nice how the sun shines as if it’s meant to shine and warm your face. I love how you tuck your hair behind your left ear letting the other side fall down beautifully.

I found myself subconsciously staring at you until our eyes met for the first time in five years. Your gaze felt empty.

"Dara." A name just rolled out of my tongue and it was yours. 


A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Though I know it turned out to be kind of short, I'll find my way to add a little more without messing up the chapter's plot. Also, I might go out of town this week so I may not be able to update that often but I'll try to post one every weekend. So let me know in the comments below if you have any concerns. Eheh. Subscribe and upvote~ 

-koraens