2:30 am

Theory of Soulmates

If we had one last day together, would you kiss me?  Just because...

Yongsun frowns.  Why would I kiss you?

Just because, Byul repeats, a glimmer in her eye.

I don't understand, Yongsun admits, and Byul drops the whole thing, returns to playing an app game on her phone.

Yongsun looks at her a while longer, looks at her too long, and Byulyi can't muster up the courage to ask the question again.  Plays it off like it was spontaneous and not like she had been thinking about kissing Yongsun all this time.

Yongsun keeps staring.

Would you want me to kiss you?

Huh?

She bites her lip, messes with the height of her socks.  I mean... Would you want me to kiss you?  If we only had one day left?

Byulyi is afraid to answer.

Yongsun takes her silence and shrugs.  Cause I mean -she can feel the heat rush up to her cheeks, that awkward curl in her stomach that happens sometimes, lately, but she can't figure out why- I guess I could do it if you really wanted me to.

Against her better judgement, Byulyi asks, ...why?

Yongsun blushes harder; stares down at her feet.  I dunno she shrugs, whatever makes you happy.

I would do whatever makes you happy, she thinks.

Neither of them speak about it again, but Yongsun gets used to the tingly feeling in her stomach.  It's okay after a while.

Not everything has to mean something.  Sometimes it's nice to know someone would kiss you on your last day on Earth; or that someone wanted to...

the details were far too complicated.