Dark Wood Circus

The Survivors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We’re lost aren’t we?” I yelled at Kevin, as the rain hammered down on me.
“We’re not lost I walk this path everyday, you’re just slow” he told me.
I rolled my eyes, hoping he would be able to mentally feel it. I had gone into the forest to get Kevin, and after a very, uhm, intimate fight we headed back towards camp, hoping to make it before dark. Somewhere we must’ve taken a wrong turn because were walking aimlessly through the sea of trees.
“Stop!” Kevin said, stopping in his steps abruptly.
I stop, and in a distance I can hear music. It sounds like carnival music or something, like there’s a circus.
“Are you coming?” A little girls voice said, coming from behind me.
I turn to see a short girl in a red dress with a white collar. Her eyes are covered by the big umbrella, and I can only see a small smile playing on her pink little lips.
“Coming where?” I ask her, and her smile grew.
“She reached her hand out to me, hesitantly I reach out to take it before Kevin stops me.
“Mina, this doesn’t seem safe, something isn’t right.”
“Everything is fine! It’s fun, it’s fun I promise!” the girl told him, grabbing my hand and reaching his.
We walk together through the rain, my hair sticking to the sides of my face.
I could see Kevin through the corner of my eye, fidgeting with the cross around his neck.
“Here it is! See, see it?” the girl laughed as we approach a huge tent. That isn’t what takes my breath away, but the giant people who walk out in fornt of us.
Their legs are ten feet long, their heads so high in the sky I swear lighting might reach them.
“Oh, you’re here, you’re here!” They say to us in synch. They bend down towards us and we get a better look at their faces.
There is a tall boy with blue hair, and blue eyes, along with a girl next to him with long blonde hair tied to the side.
“Where are we?” Kevin asks, now clutching his cross to his chest.
The blonde hair girl seems to notice this, and smiles slightly.
“The dark wood circus!”
“Tonight we’ll be showing,” says the blue haired one “the sad fate that some of this world carry” he finishes.
“Children that God has abandoned, restlessly creeping out” the blonde one says right to Kevin, who now looks taken aback.
“Ohhh, the deformity!” the blue haired one says again.
Then they open their arms wide, creating an arch that reveals the red and white tent.
I take a step forward, excited to see what awaits us inside.
“Mina, please, this isn’t right” Kevin mumbles, grabbing my hand.
“Then don’t come” I snap at him, walking past the arched giants and entering the tent.
People everywhere, all shapes and sizes. Tall, short, large heads and small. 4 eyes, 2 eye, even a pair of twins who share 2 heads.
“Welcome to the dark wood circus!” the tell me, as I walk around, in awe. I can feel Kevin holding my arm, trembling slightly.
“Were you born like this?” I ask them, excitement hovering in my voice.
The girl smiles, her eyes as blue as a sapphire, her hair as yellow as the sun, that illuminates in the moon. The boy looks exactly like her, mirror images, except he doesn’t have the big white bow she does.
“Let us show you, our world” the boy says.
Without hesitation I follow him, we walk through the crazed people. One was half man half horse, and he lifted his hat off his head a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter