Alright, Sunbae

Just Between Us

Sehun isn't sure what to expect when he walks into the banquet hall. Maybe in the back of his head he thought that it would be a densely packed room with strobe lights flashing around in unison to the beat of the music. Instead he gets a eerily quiet room with a string quartet playing at the front with dim lighting all around. The chatter at the tables are quiet and minimal.

 

He glances up at the ceiling and sees the art of half angel babies flying around with grand crystal chandeliers hanging down.

 

“Impressive, right?” A voice pulls him to the person next to him. Jeongguk is standing next to him with an identical tray of food, looking up at the ceiling. “I can't get over it. Hey, wanna bet how much this costs to rent?”

 

“Probably more than my life,” Sehun answers, looking up with him. “A better question would be, how much are this people worth?” He glances around the room and searches for the table he has to serve.

 

A mop of hair stops his searching as he squints in the area. It's his table, the right side in the middle with the looming painting of a flower vase on the wall behind it. From the distance he could only make out the oddly familiar toffee colored hair. It's bugs him.

 

Yifan pokes his head behind the little window of the kitchen door. He points towards the dining area and salutes then promptly disappears. The line of waiters leave the small hallway and enter through the large archway.

 

Sehun is whisked along with the crowd, breaking off right before he makes it to his designated target. He almost freezes in his spot if not for the small nudge Jeongguk gives him as he passes by. Sehun straightens up as he slowly walks toward the white clothed table. Everything clicks into place when he places down the first appetizer and he sees the puppy like eyes looking up at him. Sehun keeps a stoic face as he makes his way around the table.

 

Baekhyun.

 

Byun Baekhyun.

 

Sehun had an idea that he had some money. But enough money to be a part of an event like this? No wonder something about him didn't seem right.

 

He places the final plate down and bows with the tray under his arm. No one acknowledges him except for Baekhyun, who is staring intently at him. Holding back a sigh, Sehun leaves the table, making sure not to bump into any of the chairs. He's about to walk into aisle when a warm hand grabs onto his cuffed sleeve.

 

“Sehun,” Baekhyun says, breathless, when Sehun turns around. Sehun stares at his hand when it's suddenly slapped away by a thin hand. The moment he’s free, he steps away from the table.

 

Sehun doesn't turn around when he hears Baekhyun's mother lecturing him about not talking to the ‘help.’

 

He scoffs.

 

‘The help.’

 
 
 

xXx

 
 
 

Sehun is walking around with a pitcher of ice water. By now his fingers and hands are numb and no one is drinking any damn water. They're all drinking fancy, expensive champagne or hot tea. Whoever gave him this pitcher of water is a demon.

 

(Meaning he'll have a reason to loathe Zitao more.

 

He doesn’t actually hate him.)

 

He's about to finish his fifth round around his designated area when he's pulled back by his shirt. It's not enough to make him fall over, but it does startle him. Sehun turns around to see Baekhyun giving him a sheepish smile as his fingers slowly release his shirt. Behind Baekhyun, he can see the glare that his mother is giving him. Sehun ignores the daggers and addresses Baekhyun.

 

“May I get some water?” This time Sehun sees his mother scoff and cross her arms as she turns away from them. He nods and pours water into his cup when the lights begin to dim down.

 

The lights are now focusing on a lone microphone on the slightly risen stage at the front. An older man walks up to the microphone and taps it twice. A broad smile makes its way across his face when the room gives him an applause.

 

Sehun quickly sets Baekhyun’s cup down and bows slightly before briskly walking off.

 

“Thank you everyone for coming tonight.”

 

Sehun doesn't give the man on the stage a second glance as he pushes his way into the kitchen. He places the water pitcher on the nearest table and tells Jeongguk to cover for him while he's gone. With that, he finds his way into the nearest empty hallway.

 

He listens to his echoing footsteps on the marble tile, vaguely registering that the material probably costs more than his life. Before he's able to take a seat against the window sill, someone squeezes themselves through the door and silently closes it. Sehun internally groans at who it is and stands up straight.

 

The person looks over and their eyes widen in surprise before breaking out into a smile. “Sehun.” He considers something for a second. “Ssi.”

 

“Sunbae,” he says, leaning against the window. Baekhyun walks closer as he peers down the hall, not noticing how Sehun tenses up. “What do you want?” Sehun blurts out, stopping Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun doesn't look hurt, just vaguely confused. And maybe tired. Still, he gives Sehun a smile. It’s vaguely like the man on the stage, Sehun thinks. “My mom was being too much. Needed a break. The same with you, I assume?”

 

A break from life, yes. But Sehun doesn't say that. Instead he just says, “What's it to you?”

 

If Baekhyun was offended, there was no trace of it on his face. Just a calm smile. “Are you okay?”

 

Sehun raises an eyebrow. “I'm fine. Why shouldn't I be?”

 

A shrug. “You kind of rushed out of the dining hall. Did something happen?” Baekhyun steps forward to peer at his face.

 

Sehun crosses his arms and gives him a look. “Like I said, what's it to you?” Baekhyun shrugs again and Sehun sighs. “Why are you even out here? Don't you have to go back to your family? Now shoo.” He waves him off and turns his attention to the starry sky out the window.

 

“Like I said,” Baekhyun emphasizes. “My mother was grating on my nerves. Even people like me need a breath of fresh air.” He sighs and looks out the window as well.

 

The two stay in silence with Sehun sitting on the window ledge and Baekhyun rocking back and forth on the heels of his feet.

 

“It's a beautiful night, but,” Baekhyun pauses as Sehun slowly turns to face him. “the stars aren't that bright tonight. However, you're here so it's about the same.”

 

Shaun grimaces. Baekhyun winks exaggeratedly while making shooting motions at him. “Are you trying to flirt with me?”

 

“Depends, is it working?” Sehun lets out a dry laugh as he rolls his eyes. “Oh!” Baekhyun jumps up and down excitedly as he points a finger at Sehun. “You laughed! It worked.” He crosses his arms with a smug expression on his face.

 

“Yeah, okay,” he scoffs. He pushes off of the window ledge and dusts off the back of his pants. “If you'll excuse me, I have to go back to work.”

 

“Wait!” A small hand tugs him back. Sehun raises an eyebrow and waits for him. But before Baekhyun can get a word out, the door opens and Baekhyun quickly pulls Sehun into the room behind him.

 

They awkwardly stand in the dark as the sounds of heels click against the marble. “Baekhyun?” A loud sigh. “That boy will be the death of me.”

 

They stay silent until the sound of heels dissipates. Once Baekhyun hears the door close, he lets out a sigh of relief while Sehun tugs a string near his head.

 

Light floods the room, temporarily blinding the pair. The taller looks down at the uncomfortably close chestnut colored boy. He coughs into a fist and steps backwards half a step. Sehun looks around while Baekhyun hops onto a table behind him.

 

“So, why am I in here?” he asks after some time.

 

“Because I didn't want to get another lecture from my mother.” Baekhyun twiddles with his thumbs as he stares intently at the ground.

 

“Lecture?” Sehun snaps his fingers and makes a sound of amazement as if he had an epiphany. “Ah yes, no talking to the help. So why pull ‘the help,’” emphasizing with air quotations, “into a closet? Won't that get you a worser punishment?”

 

“Even worse,” Baekhyun corrects before immediately covering his mouth.

 

Sehun raises an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”

 

The hands from his lips slowly lower with his eyes watching Sehun carefully. “Worser isn't a word...the way to use it is ‘even worse.’ I didn't mean to offend you or anything. It just came out…”

 

“‘It just came out?’ Are you trying to not offend me? Because it's not working.” Sehun crosses his arms and leans against the wall behind him. Baekhyun thins his lips as he waits for Sehun to speak. “I wasn't offended by the way. No one's speech is perfect. That applies to me as well. But, why are you so adamant on talking to me? Your mother won't enjoy this and I'm sure this can't be making you that happy.”

 

“I'll answer if you answer my question.” Sehun raises an eyebrow, but nods anyways. “Wait. Make it two questions. You'll get to ask another.” Baekhyun raises two fingers and wiggles them around, waiting.

 

He sighs before agreeing. Baekhyun rubs his hands together as he thinks. “How many jobs do you have?”

 

“Three.”

 

Baekhyun's eyes widen and nods. “Is your mother Lee Mei Hua?”

 

Sehun squints his eyes at him before slowly nodding.

 

Baekhyun nods, content with the answers. “I'll answer yours now. It may clear up some of what I've asked. So, why I'm annoying so much?” He raises a finger and Sehun nods. “Because your mother works for my family. She's worked with us for a while and she's been looking a bit haggard as of late. I just wanted to ask someone how she has been holding up at home and the closest person was you. So your second question.”

 

The taller looks around the room before landing his eyes back on the person in front of him. Baekhyun squirms under his strict gaze before breathing out a sigh of relief when Sehun finally looks away.

 

“I'll keep my second question for later. If that's good?” Sehun steps closer and crowds Baekhyun against the wall. He places a hand near his head leans in. “Alright, sunbae?”

 

And with that, he leaves with a smile.

 

 


A/N: I’m not dead! Although college apps are really pushing it. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! I’m still on the semi-hiatus, so updates will still be sporadic. Thank you all for being patient with me. Once I get all my applications, essays, etc in, things will likely get back onto a schedule.

If you have any questions or just wanna chat, I’m on tumblr @alytse.
 

Until the next chapter! Thanks for reading!!