Can't Run, Bike Instead?

Just Between Us

Sehun bikes into the gated community after flashing his id and work permit to the guard at the gate. Houses that probably cost more than his life come into view as he reaches the bottom of a driveway. With a foot planted onto the ground to keep himself upright on the bike, he takes out the slip of paper that Leetuk handed him before leaving.

 

“Houses 1500, 1784, and 2151 want their papers delivered to the front door. Houses 1555, 1626, 1637, 1802, 1814, 2011, 2104 and 2242 want their papers put into their mailboxes. House 2120 wants you to wait for their dog to pick up the paper. Don’t ask. All the other houses feel free to throw it up the driveway or put in the mailbox. Whichever is easier. Good luck!”

 

Sehun holds back a curse at the various requests. What kind of people are picky about how their newspaper is delivered? Wealthy people apparently. For God’s sake. One of them wants him to give the paper to a dog. A dog. Sehun wonders how Jeongguk dealt with this route. Then again he thinks back to Jeongguk’s impassive face and concludes that this route is probably why he quit.

 

Sehun wonders about a job change, but then mentally slaps himself for that thought and begins his long biking trip up the mile long driveways of these houses. Luckily the dog house, pun not intended, is pretty docile. A golden retriever merely pops its head over the fence and Sehun holds out the newspaper to be taken. Quite an amusing sight and experience if Sehun says so himself.

 

But by the time he gets to the last house, his legs are crying out from the immense amount of biking and walking he's done in just thirty minutes. His old route took only half of this time and all he did was throw the paper at people’s front doors. The heavy winter jacket he wears is being counterproductive as sweat pours down his face and neck. He wonders if he should take it off, but the cold air that hits his neck is an answer in itself.

 

He pushes up the sleeve of his jacket and his shirt underneath the best he can. In a flash the last newspaper is thrown up the driveway and his sleeve falls right back down. With a huff, Sehun pedals himself back to the gate.

 

The guard at the gate stops him for identification again. Even though he's leaving. Not entering. Sehun leans his elbows on his bike handles and watches as a sleek black car drives through without a hitch. He would be envious, but the guard hands him his id and paperwork, distracting him from any automobiles passing by.

 

Sehun looks at the time and immediately begins biking back. If he doesn't get to the bus stop on time, he'll be late to school and he can't have that happening. Everything happens in a blur. He practically throws the bike card at Leetuk, sprints to the bus that seems to be staying unnaturally still only for it to drive away when he manages to get to the back door, goes back to Leetuk, borrows the bike and lock in order to get to school, and bikes the entire way to school.

 

If one were to judge a morning workout, Sehun’s would be one for a triathlon participant. In his mind at least. But disregarding an athlete's workout plan, Sehun fumbles to lock the bike onto the bike rack just outside of the school’s gymnasium building.

 

The rest of his school day goes without a hitch, despite the fact he made to his first class just as the bell rung, Sehun thinks this day was going pretty well. Until he gets to the bike rack during lunch.

 

It was just a small nagging feeling in his head. The fact that he had barely registered the fact that he locked the bike up was a bit unnerving to him. Just to calm his anxiety, he went to double check the lock. Instead he's met with a mangled excuse of a bike. The bikes that were locked up next to his don't look any better, but his bike is borrowed. Which means he has to pay for the damages. With money he doesn't even have.

 

His hands curl around strands of his hair as he lets out cries of frustration. Then it finally hits him that he should book it out of there unless he wants to take the blame for the damages and that could end up with even more payments tacked onto the never ending list of payments his family already has to make.

 

Before he knows it, his feet had taken him to the front office. He told of what he had found, only to be told that nothing can't be done since there were no secret cameras in that area.

 

Bull, Sehun wants to scream.



 

xXx



 

His feet drags himself to his locker after school. The heavy feeling in his chest hasn't left and he thinks he doesn't have the heart to tell Leetuk what has happened. His poor boss already lost three employees this month and it was only the second week of the month. Not to mention, Leetuk has a soft heart. Sehun told him what his family was going through, practically was the reason why he gave him the job when he was thirteen. Now Sehun has to tell him to take money away from him for the bike.

 

Sehun has half the mind to move his head before banging his forehead against his locker door. A white envelope sits on top of his textbooks. The writing on it says nothing more than ‘Come to the auditorium.’ It's also suspiciously heavy. Sehun opens it with his curiosity piqued only for his eyes to bulge out of his sockets. Dozens of bills (dear god are those hundreds?) sit nice and crisp inside with no explanation. Unless the writing in the front was supposed to be the explanation. Then it was a very ty explanation.

 

Nonetheless Sehun found himself peeking his head through the auditorium doors. His dance class only gets the auditorium on Fridays so there's really no reason for him to be here. Especially when the drama club seems extra busy running around like chickens with their heads chopped off. Although there are a few people sitting on the stage that don't seem to be doing anything.

 

With hesitant steps, Sehun walks up to the stage. He doesn't bother going around to actually walk up there, figures standing with the stage at chest height was good enough. Whoever told him to come here and gave him money needs to give a thorough explanation and he is not making the extra effort to do so.

 

“Ready to repent?” A light voice comes from the person standing in front of two boys who are kneeling on the floor with their hands behind their heads. The one on the right mutters something under his breath which makes the standing person bend to eye level. “What did you say?”

 

“It was his fault!” he shouts and extends one arm at the boy to his left. The boy one the left glares at him and scoffs.

 

“I don't care, put your arm back.” The boy's voice was ice cold as he commanded him to sit on his hands. Sehun could feel a shiver run through him. His hands crinkle the envelope in his grasp and that's when the commanding boy turns around.

 

Now, Sehun hasn't had the time to consider his uality.All he knows is that people are attractive and he won't ever be able to be with anyone, end of story. Although that doesn't mean he can't appreciate a good looking face every once in awhile. And whomever this person is, has a nice face. Too bad this probably gonna be the last he'll ever see him.

 

“Oh?” The boy walks over to the edge of the stage to where Sehun stands. His face is framed with toffee colored hair and has down turned lips that make him look pouty. Cute, Sehun thinks. It's the same downturned lips that make him almost crack a smile when when the boy reveals perfectly straight teeth in a blinding smile. “I see you got my note. My name’s Baekhyun, nice to meet you!” Baekhyun sits on the edge and offers his hand with a large smile.

 

Sehun dumbly nods as he holds Baekhyun’s hand in a loose handshake. “Sehun..” he mumbles as if in a trance. His hand feels like they're trembling as he points to the boys behind Baekhyun. “What...what's-”

 

“Oh them?” Baekhyun nods towards the two boys on their knees. Sehun nods his head in confirmation and brings his hands back down to his side. “They're the ones who trashed the bikes. I'm bringing justice upon them for you and everyone whose bike got pummeled.” Baekhyun raises a fist and shakes it at the two, who visibly flinch at the action.

 

“Is that really necessary?” Sehun asks and he immediately regrets his question when Baekhyun looks at him like he grew a second head.

 

“Of course it's necessary!” Baekhyun throws his hands up in exasperation. “We can't have drama members causing actual drama outside of the auditorium. That looks bad for the club and the school. Someone has to uphold this image if the admins won't.”

 

“Of course Baekhyun,“ a low voice comes from above them. The two look up to find Mr. Wong tapping a rolled up script on his shoulder. “I'll be administering justice upon these hooligans, so get your tush out of the way to do something productive.”

 

Baekhyun salutes, “Aye, aye sir. However, I request permission to help out a dear hoobae first.” Sehun gives Baekhyun a funny look which he ignores.

 

“Hm,” Mr. Wong looks at his watch and shrugs a shoulder. “Knock yourself out, just make sure to get back before our first rehearsal in twenty minutes.”

 

Baekhyun gives him one last salute and hops off the edge of the stage to stand next to Sehun. “I will return in fifteen minutes, tops.” Mr. Wong nods and turns his back to the two. The light colored boy takes this as a cue to leave. He grabs Sehun’s wrist and leads him through the mass of people walking around the auditorium to the hallway on the side that no one uses.

 

“Glad you got my memo,” Baekhyun says right as the door closes behind them. His hands are clasped behind his back as a smile spreads across his face.

 

“How could I not?” Sehun mutters as he turns the envelope over in his hands. The paper under his fingers is smooth and Sehun almost doesn’t want to let go of it. Suspicious eyes meet light hearted ones when Sehun holds the envelope up. “How did you even know it was my bike? Let alone where my locker was?”

 

Baekhyun smiles as if he was expecting this question. “Some people were wondering where the two of them went, when I went to look for them I just happened to find you mourning over your bike. The two of them have a tendency to fight in the same spot, so I just used my amazing induction skills!” The older holds his hand up near his eye in an imitation of an eyeglass with a smile. However, Sehun’s lack of response makes him brush off the mimic with an odd laugh.

 

“I kinda followed you after you went to the office and then to your locker. You don't really lock your locker that well you know.” Baekhyun states with a nonchalant shrug. Then he takes on a firm tone and pokes Sehun’s chest with a finger. “You should be more careful with your things.”

 

Sehun wipes at the spot that Baekhyun touched with a tinge of disgust on his face. “That’s a violation of privacy. And I don't think I want you to interfere with my life. Bike or not, I'm not taking this money. I don't take pity.” The envelope is pushed into Baekhyun’s hands without another word. Sehun makes a move to leave, but a hand on his wrist holds him back.

 

“It's not pity!”Baekhyun exclaims. Sehun turns his head around to look him in the eye. “It’s compensation money. The two can't just get away with damaging property like-”

 

“Did you give anyone else money?’ Sehun interjects. When Baekhyun doesn't respond, he rips his wrist out from Baekhyun’s grip. “That's what I thought. You rich people just go around throwing money at everyone thinking it'll make all your problems go away. It’s not how it work sunbae.”



 

xXx



 

“I'm so sorry,” Sehun apologizes as he boss deeply in front of Leetuk as he inspects the bike damage. “I never meant for this to happen I will pay for the damages.”

 

Leetuk takes a deep breath and holds it as he stands from his kneeling position. Sehun hasn't moved from his bow and Leetuk notices how white his knuckles are becoming. He scratches the back of his head as he looks back and forth between the bike and Sehun. He lets out a deep sigh as regret paints his face.

 

“It'll be a couple hundred bucks. The tires are jank , the frame's jank, everything needs something.  It's practically gonna be a new bike after repairs.” Leetuk pats the bike's handles with a solemn smile. “I'm gonna take that raise away and put it towards the repair bill. I’ll be able to put it back on when the payments for the bike are done. I'm sorry Sehun.”

 

Sehun’s hair swishes when he shakes his head. He doesn't raise his head as he bites down on his lip. His vision begins to swim as his knuckles twist in the fabric of his pants. ‘“Don't be sorry it was my fault.”

 

Leetuk gives him a tight lipped smile and pats him on the shoulder that is meant to bring comfort,but all Sehun feels are dull slaps. “Even so, I know and I'm sorry.” Sehun’s boss loosens his grip on Sehun’s pants and curls his fingers around a handkerchief. “Keep it.” Leetuk goes back inside the building without another word.

 

The handkerchief is a patterned plaid red piece of cloth that crunches up in Sehun’s grip. Tears spill down his face and the handkerchief remains unused.

 

 


 


A/N: I decided to update a little early! Just cause my cousin gave birth a couple of hours ago and I felt really flipping happy. So I decided to share the happiness to the few people who subscribed! (I love you all by the way) Even though this chapter isn’t all that happy, I hope you enjoyed it? Don’t worry it gets better. Probably. Ahaha...See you next chapter!!