Gotta Run

Just Between Us

Dialogue written in italics means that the characters are speaking in Chinese. This applies to the entire story.
 




Sehun locks the bike to the bike rack with frost bitten fingers. The gloves he has on do little to fight off the morning cold. A puff of air leaves him as he pushes his sweat matted bangs back. He leaves the bike with a small pat on the handles and is greeted with a rush of warm air when he walks inside the building.

“Welcome back,” Leetuk says without taking his eyes off from the computer monitor. He holds a hand out and Sehun deposits the number card for the bike lock into his palm. His boss opens the top drawer and places the card into its designated spot.


Sehun is in the middle of warming himself up next to the heater when Leetuk says, “Oh and Jeongguk resigned.” Sehun slowly zips up his jacket up to his chin as he turns to Leetuk. “So you’ll be taking his route from now on. I’ll give you the details on Monday. You’ll also be getting a raise along with this. Sound good?” His boss finally takes his eyes off of the screen to look at Sehun.


“Good,” Sehun says, holding back his eagerness. He clears his throat and smooths down his jacket. “I’ll do it I mean. I’ll be glad to.”

Leetuk smiles and nods. “Great to hear that.” He reaches into a different drawer from earlier and takes out an envelope. Leetuk offers it to Sehun who is quick to take the envelope and slips it into his backpack. “Now get on it. Get to school.” Sehun is shooed out of the room and the moment he steps out onto the sidewalk, the bus drives up to the stop at the end of the block.

Sehun curses and sprints towards it, careful not to slip on the frosty sidewalk. He prays that the bus driver isn’t an and won’t drive off without him. Luck is on side when Sehun manages to squeeze his body in between the back doors and onto the bus.

Before he could sigh in relief, whispers are heard from his side. He doesn’t need to look over to know that they’re talking about him. With swift hands, his hood creates a barrier between him and the rest of the public.

A single seat opens up and Sehun is swift to sit himself down. He shifts his backpack to his lap and takes out a single subject notebook with post its sticking out from the top. The sound of shuffling papers fill his ears as he pores over the numbers.

The bus continues on, more and more people wearing the same uniform as him get on. Few point and snicker, most sit or stand half asleep with earbuds in.

By the time the bus reaches the stop, Sehun had given up his seat to an elderly woman, notebook shoved into his backpack, and was holding onto the metal bar by his head. A girl, who stands next to him, holds handkerchief over and nose as she keeps her head turned away from him.

With a sigh and an apology (in his head), Sehun gets off the bus along with everyone wearing the same grey colored uniform.



 

xXx



 

“Alright everyone get your water bottles and take a seat on floor in front of the board,” Ms. Park claps her hands to get everyone going and walks over to the whiteboard on wheels. She flips the board to the other side and grabs a dry erase marker.

Sehun sits towards the back of the group with a discontented expression due to the fact that his sweat was causing his sweatpants to stick to his thighs as he sat on the uncomfortable wooden stage. He discreetly peels the fabric from his skin and tries to sit comfortably.

“I’m sure you all know about the winter showcase that our school held last year,” Ms. Park says with a proud smile. Sehun notices the small twitch of her eye when a chorus of groans come from the people in front of her. “And I’m sure that all you are excited to participate as well. And this is not an option. It’s mandatory and a part of your grade. I’ll be putting you all into groups of five and your group will have to choreograph a dance for the showcase. Which will be right before winter break! A great way to make you guys put in hard work.”

A coiling feeling in Sehun’s stomach arises as he watches Ms. Park write down the details of the showcase, some of which she had already announced. The snap of the cap breaks Sehun out of his thoughts and turns his attention back to his teacher. “This is a great opportunity for you all to show your skills. Parents will, of course, be invited. There will be additional performances and showcases by the other visual arts classes and clubs. It’ll be a mix of art, dance, music, and drama!” Ms. Park emphasizes with a flourish of her arms.

“Your groups will be announced on Monday. Be prepared to work with people you might not be familiar with.” Ms. Park laughs at the sounds of protests from her students and claps to get them to settle down. “Now since it is only September, I expect everyone, and I mean everyone, to be there. Whatever issues you might have with scheduling, you have almost four months to get this,” Ms. Park taps the board where ‘December 18’ is written. “Date open and free as a bird. For whatever reason you have at this moment is null and void. If you really cannot go, talk to me privately.”

At the end of her talk the last bell sounds and everyone gets up with a whoop and a shout. Sehun slowly rises to his feet and drags himself to where his bag is sitting in the seats of the auditorium.

He strengthens his conviction as he shrugs on his backpack. With steady strides, he finds himself looking down at Ms. Park who is sitting on a stool with her glasses on and a laptop on her lap.

“I can’t-”

“It’s four months Sehun,” Ms. Park interrupts, fingers flying across the keyboard. She sighs and looks up at Sehun. “The showcase is almost four months away. Three and a half if you want to get specific.” She takes off her glasses and lets it hang from her shirt pocket. “Sehun you’re a good dancer. There is a reason why you got placed in the advanced class and I want to see you dance. Not only in class, but in different areas where you can succeed and show off your talents.” Sehun’s line of vision had dropped to his shoes during her talk. With an awkward cough, she adjusts herself on the stool as she closes the laptop. “Alright, what’s your excuse?”

 

“I work,” Sehun says lamely as he studies the dime sized hole along the side of his shoe.

“You can’t take a day off?” Ms. Park asks. She glances around the auditorium with a sigh of disbelief. “Just one day off, can’t you do that?”

Sehun shakes his head with his hands tightening its grip around his backpack straps. “I really can’t. I-I need the money. For my family.”

Ms. Park nods and her bottom lip as she thinks. She claps once and steps off the stool. “Alright. I will be saying no,” She points a finger at Sehun who’s head snapped up in a panic. “But,” Sehun’s shoulders visibly relax. “If you come to me again, in the beginning of December, I may reconsider it. You are working with a group, so I’m not too keen on it.”

Sehun nods with his teeth digging into his lip. “Beginning of December. Got it.”

 


 

xXx



 

Another envelope finds its way into Sehun’s backpack when he leaves the post office. His shoulders and back thrum with a low ache as he jogs towards Luhan’s preschool. It’s just past seven and Sehun needs to hurry if he doesn’t want to get scolded by Minseok again.

Two figures stand at the gate of the preschool, one tall, one short and childlike. Sehun slows to a walk when the shorter figure runs at him. He kneels down and immediately lifts Luhan into his arms. Minseok walks up to the younger with a scowl.

“I’m sorry Minseok-ssi.” Sehun bows his head as he cradles the back of Luhan’s head with one hand. “I know I said I wouldn’t be late again, but-”

He stops when Minseok raises a hand and shakes his head. “It’s fine. I understand. Just take care of yourself. And Luhan here.” Minseok digs through his backpack and hands him a flyer with the name of the preschool printed in bright lettering. “It’s open house soon. You and your mother are welcome to attend. No need to rsvp, but tell me if you can come. I’ll see you next week Sehun-ssi. Good bye Luhan.”

Luhan twists in Sehun’s arms to wave good bye with a large smile. “Bye bye bao bao!”

Minseok laughs at the nickname and waves good bye as he walks off. Sehun’s reading the flyer in his hand which generates curiosity in Luhan. “What’s this?” Luhan asks, making grabby hands for the paper.

Sehun gives it to him and begins to walk. “It’s a flyer. You have an open house soon. Do you want gege to go? Or mama?”

Luhan hums he scrunches up his nose in thought. “Can mama and gege go?”

It’s Sehun’s turn to hum and scrunch up his nose. “We’ll see. We’ll both try our best, okay? Okay?” Luhan nods and gives the flyer back to Sehun, who just shoves it into his pants pocket without a second thought.

The bright lights of the grocery store shine through the glass automatic doors and windows. There’s a small struggle when Sehun puts Luhan into the cart, but Sehun manages to get him in the cart and the two of them inside without a scratch.

Luhan sits silently with the weekly advertisement from the front of the store as Sehun pushes the cart through the mostly empty aisles. Each time he stops, Luhan hands him the ad and Sehun looks through it. Sehun’s number one rule: If it’s not in the ad, it goes back on the shelf. No second thoughts, straight back onto the metal shelf.

In the cart sit ten cans of soup, two loaves of bread, five boxes of pasta, three jars of pasta sauce, two heads of lettuce, a pack of ham, a bag of frozen peas and a bag of frozen corn, a large tub of yogurt, and a pack of cookies. Just for indulgence (read: Luhan). Plus it’s on sale for a dollar.

As Sehun picks through the apples, a loud sneeze echoes within the aisle. His head snaps up to find Luhan sniffling and wiping his nose with the back of his hand. Worry is wrinkled on his forehead as he places a hand on Luhan’s forehead. He doesn’t feel warm, but he presses his other hand to his forehead to double check. Still not warm.

With reluctant hands, he places the apples back and sticks one loaf of bread onto the boxes of sodas. He pushes the cart and Luhan towards the pharmacy in the back and scours through the various medicines. The weight of a single bottle feels like lead he reads the label.

He places the bottle in the cart and heads to the checkout lines.

Anxiety rises in his chest along with each scan.

“That’ll be 42.76. Paper or plastic sir?” the cashier asks with tired eyes.

“Paper. Thank you,” Sehun mumbles as he counts the various bills in the envelope. He holds his breath as he counts up to forty three and hands it off. His change and receipt are thrown into the envelope and are shoved into his backpack.

All of the groceries manage to fit into two bags. He holds Luhan with one arm while his other hands holds the bags.

One bus trip and one walk later, Sehun is gently setting down the bags next to his front door while trying his hardest not to wake Luhan. His arm twists behind him to the smaller pocket of his backpack to get his house keys.

The walls behind Sehun shake as moans and groans are heard. He hurries to shove his key into the lock. Once the door is open, he is moving the bags inside with his foot. The bags are in and he maneuvers over the bags and into their home. The door is immediately shut, but as quietly as possible.

Sehun hangs his keys onto the hook above the shoe rack and pulls off Luhan’s shoes. It’s a struggle considering he’s trying his best not to wake his younger brother, but he somehow manages. He takes his own shoes off by using his feet. The shoes are pushed in the general direction of the shoe rack as Sehun tiptoes his way inside.

On his way to the bedroom, he turns on a single lamp on the coffee table in the living room.

The bedroom looks like it’s falling apart. It’s square with brown paint starting to peel off at ceiling and towards the floorboards. A single mattress with a thick quilt and two pillows atop of it is pushed into the far right corner. In place of a dresser is a suitcase filled with Sehun’s, Luhan’s, and their mother’s clothing. Heavy winter clothing, such as the jacket Luhan and him were wearing at the moment, are placed next to the suitcase on the floor. A single light hangs from the ceiling with a lightbulb that should’ve been changed a year ago.

Sehun pulls back the quilt and lays Luhan down, making sure his head is lying on a pillow. Sehun zips up his jacket and pulls the quilt up to Luhan’s chin. A quick look around the mattress finds a raggedy stuffed rabbit stuck in between the wall and the mattress He pulls the quilt back slightly and moves Luhan’s arms around the rabbit in a hug. The quilt is pulled back up under his chin. Sehun pats Luhan’s stomach and stands up.

With soft steps, he leaves the bedroom, making sure the door is open just a crack. Once he gets to the living room, Sehun allows himself to throw his body onto the couch. He could feel the wooden supports pressing against his back. Sighing at the state of their couch, he moves to sit on the ground in front of the couch and finds himself with the coffee table in front of him.

His backpack finally comes off and he pushes aside his physics book to get the envelopes. He dumps the money out in front of him and feels under the coffee table for the bills. The stacks of papers sitting on the table mock him. Sehun intertwines his fingers and glares at the papers. Sighing, he rubs the sleepiness out of his eyes and starts to shuffle through the papers.

 




A/N: I’m back! And very likely to stay. Let’s hope I didn’t jinx that. Anyways. I hope you all enjoyed this first chapter! I’m actually kinda really flipping excited to get this out and I hope that you all will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it!! I’m gonna aim for once a week updates, maybe two if I’m feeling generous. The schedule shouldn’t change too much, but once school starts up again in August, it will be subject to change cause school. But let’s worry about that when the time comes. Thanks for reading!