JOONGKI- What's That Pt. 2

My AUs Oneshots

 

“You’re visiting my small town for a few weeks and you come to my flower shop every day and you always ask me the names and the meanings behind them and one day you bought a bouquet and just handed them back to me and oh God I think I’m growing really attached to you but you’re leaving soon.”

             

                I don’t know what it was but something in me expected to see him again the next morning. I was ready. I was waiting for him to come in again to ask be about flowers and their meanings. Anything really, I just wanted to see him.

                But it seemed like I got my hopes up because he didn’t come the next day. Or the day after that, or the day after that. I assumed that he left and went back to the military. I was annoyed though for some reason, I didn’t get to say goodbye. But then again, he wasn’t obliged to do or say anything for me.

                It had been three days since he was last here and by that day the thought of him was already in the back of my mind. I had been up since 5 a.m. getting the flower arrangements ready for a wedding tomorrow and I looked like a hot mess. I was still in my sweatpants and there were flowers all over my hair since my mom was messing with me while I was doing arrangements. I looked at my reflection in the bucket of water next to me and chuckled- I looked crazy.

                “Ha Eun ssi?”

                I stopped working on the arrangement I was organizing and looked to my left. There he was, crouched down beside me with his arms wrapped around his knees. I fell back in shock and looked at him wide-eyed. “Joongki ssi…”

                He waved, “Hi, I was walking by the store and saw you here.”

                I looked at him, dumbfounded. “I thought you left.”

                He tilted his head. “Who told you I left? Well technically I did leave, I went to Busan with my parents, but I’m here for a few weeks.”

                That same feeling of pleasure crashed through my whole body again. Relief? “Oh,” I sighed.

                He laughed. “Let me help you up.” He reached towards me to help me get back on my feet.

                I had forgotten that I was sitting on the floor. “It’s okay I can get up myself.”

                He retracted his hand and I cursed at myself for not taking it. It was right there! “I like your hairstyle today. It’s… different,” he smiled.

                Different? It’s just in its usual- I silently groaned after realizing what he was talking about. I had flowers all over my hair. “Haha, I forgot these were in my head.” I began to take them out but he shot a hand out and grabbed my arm.

                “Don’t take them out!” It surprised me that he shouted so I just stared at him wide-eyed. I’m not going to lie, I felt a tingling sensation where his hand was touching my arm. “I mean, they look nice.” He immediately brought his hand away and put it behind his back.

                I mumbled a thanks and got up from the floor. I wiped the imaginary dust from my pants and walked away to get some scissors. “So how was Busan?”

                He got up from the floor as well. “It was nice. Different. There were so many flowers there,” he paused, “It would have been nice to know the meanings behind them.”

                I smiled.  “You can always ask me.”

                He looked at me. “Actually, the flowers on your head, there were a lot of those in Busan.”

                I reached up to grab one because I didn’t know what they were. “These are yellow Zinnias. I’m not surprised that you saw a lot, they’re easy to grow.”

                “What do they represent?” he asked.

                “Endurance, but the yellow ones specifically mean daily remembrance.”

                “Mhm, that’s nice.” He grabbed one from my head and looked at it closely. “Endurance huh? What kind of endurance?”

                I crossed my arms. “Well, anything really. It could be something small like enduring for finals or enduring a critical issue. I think the main message is that setbacks are just temporary you know? The heat of the moment will pass and you’ll be able to move through every obstacle that’s blocking you from your goal.” I stopped talking and looked at him.

                He looked like he was in awe. “Do you have a goal?” he suddenly asked me.

                I was taken aback by his question. My goal in life? “Uh, I don’t know actually. I went to the city for a few years but I didn’t like it so now I’m back here helping my mom. There’s nothing I really want to do.”

                He sighed, “I wish I was as carefree as you. My job wouldn’t be described as fun you know? Why don’t you just run the shop?”

                “Run the shop?” The thought never even crossed my mine. To me, this was a part-time job to kill time.

                He nodded his head. “It’s something you’re passionate about. If you don't have a goal you can just take care of this place, you seem like you enjoy it.

                “You act like you’ve known me forever,” I joked with him.

                He didn’t say anything for a second and responded with, “It feels that way.”

                I coughed because I felt a little awkward when he said that. I’ve literally seem him three times but at the same time I felt so comfortable around him.

                “Anyway, do you happen to have more of these Zinnias?” he pointed to my head.

                “Of course. Are you buying some?” I asked.

                He nodded. “I like the idea behind them.”

                Like usual, he paid for them and left. The thought of seeing him again was like a dream come true

~~~

                For the next few days, he came- again and again. He would come at the same time and ask me about flowers and leave after buying a bouquet. Not only do we talk about flowers but we just talked about life in general. I hate to admit it but I was getting comfortable, it was becoming a part of my routine. I was basically expecting to see him every day. I had forgotten he had to leave, it was like he was always here in this little town.

                “Hey, stranger.”

                I turned to see Joongki standing there, but this time with a suitcase next to him.

                “You’re leaving…” I said in a daze.

                He looked at his suitcase and then back at me. He nodded, “Yeah, I was called back earlier than expected.”

                There was a silence in the air as I tried to digest what he was saying. I cleared my throat and smiled, “Well, what can you do? Your job is important.”

                He nodded his head again, “Yeah…” he let it linger. “I just wanted to say bye before heading out.”

                I couldn’t tell if him leaving without saying anything was better than him coming here to say goodbye. Either way it made me feel like crap and I didn’t know how to deal with it.

                “Uh… yeah thanks for stopping by,” I said as I absent-mindlessly grabbed some ribbon.

                “Are you okay?” he asked suddenly.

                I looked at him and faked a smile. “Of course. Why wouldn’t I be?” I turned around and threw the ribbon into a box.               

                He shrugged his shoulders, “Whatever you say. Before I leave I wanted to buy one more bouquet of flowers.” He walked to a section and grabbed a bunch of blue flowers. He walked back towards me and leaned against the counter.

                I crossed my arms and was about to get ready to start my rant about the flower but he interrupted me.

                “Forget Me Nots. It first got its name from a myth about two lovers walking along the Danube River when they saw bright blue blossoms. The man got the flowers for the woman, but he was swept away by the river and told her not to forget him as he floated away. Did you know that?”

                I silently nodded my head and let him continue.

                “Forget Me Nots remind you to take the time to remember those you love, even if they’re still with you right now. Make memories that last and extend your care to those that need it the most. It’s a reminder of your favorite memories or time together with another person or even reminding you of growing affection between two people.” He looked at me to get my acknowledgement of his research.

                “Wow,” I said impressed. “You know your stuff.”

                He smiled, “I tried. These flowers are nice you know? Even the meaning behind them leaves such an impression.”

                “Which is why they’re called Forget Me Nots. If you give them to someone, that person should remember all the good times like you said early. They fill that empty space when the giver disappears, even if it’s just for a while.”

                He nodded his head. “Yeah…” He looked at them one more time and straighten up. “I’ll buy these, I have a taxi to catch to go to the airport.”

                He handed me the money and I smiled. “I’ll walk you out.” He got his suitcase and we both made our way to the entrance. He turned towards me and saluted me. I laughed, “Have a safe flight,” I told him.

                “Of course.” I waited for him to leave but he suddenly handed me the bouquet.

                “Do you need me to give this to someone?” I asked.

                He laughed and ruffled my hair. “They're for you, silly.”

                I blinked a few times and I felt my cheeks turn red. “For m-me?”

                “Take care, Ha Eun. I’ll see you soon.” He got his luggage and walked away.

                “Joongki ssi!” He didn’t look back but just gave me a peace sign and just kept walking. I scoffed, how lame. “How can you leave just like that?” I said to no one in particular as I watch him get smaller and smaller.

                I had definitely fell for him and these Forget Me Nots confirm that our feelings are mutual.

                “I’ll see you soon, soldier.”

 


A/N: There you go :)