JOONGKI- What's That Pt. 1

My AUs Oneshots

 

“You’re visiting my small town for a few weeks and you come to my flower shop every day and you always ask me the names and the meanings behind them and one day you bought a bouquet and just handed them back to me and oh God I think I’m growing really attached to you but you're leaving soon.”

 

             “Honey, did you take out the flowers to the front of the shop yet?”

                “Yes, mom.”

                “Did you sign for the flowers from the delivery guy?”

                “Yes, mom.”

                “Did you find your gloves?”

                “Yes, mom.”

                “Did you-”

                “Switch the sign from ‘close’ to ‘open?’ Yes, mom,” I said before she could finish. She pouted and stuck her tongue out at me before walking to the back of the store. I laughed and shook my head from her silliness.

                I’ve been hearing the same few sentences for the past two years now. After moving back to this little town after I graduated from college in Seoul, I decided to work at my mom’s flower shop because I honestly didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. It’s fine I guess, I’m still young and having a degree in business means that I could find a corporate job somewhere in the city if I wanted to. For now, I’m just going to live my life here with my mom and decide what I’ll do later on.

                “Excuse me.”

                I looked up from my position and didn’t realize that someone had come into the shop. I ran to the counter and bowed. “I’m sorry I didn’t hear you come in.” It was really early and we usually don’t get customers until the afternoon.

                “That’s fine. You looked like you were thinking of something,” he said and he smiled at me.

                That’s when I finally looked at his face up close and I was surprised. Was someone this handsome living in this town? I shook my head and tossed those thoughts away. “Did you need help with something?” I asked him.

                “Actually I’m here to buy flowers for someone. She’s really special to me and today’s her birthday so could you help me find something that could suit her?” he asked me.

                Of course he had a girlfriend. He must have come to our little town to visit her. My brain started racking up all the girls that lived here. Besides me, there were four other girls that were around my age, assuming he was my age. “Yeah, of course. Did you have any flowers you were looking for in particular?”

                “I don’t want to get her roses. She’s gotten a lot of those,” he smiled and pursed his lips. “I really don’t know, what do you recommend?”

                I sighed and looked around the shop. “We just got a shipment of orchids,” I told him. I walked over to the orchid section and picked out a pot of pink orchids. “Pink orchids represent grace, joy, and happiness.” I handed him the pot so he could look at it.

                “Hm, I don’t know if she likes pink,” he said. “She can be a little picky.” He walked over to the orchid section and picked out purple ones. “What do these ones mean?”

                “Respect, dignity, and loyalty,” I answered without a doubt.

                He nodded his head and contemplated it. “I’ll take these ones,” he said.

                I nodded my head and brought the flowers to the front of the store. “Are you going to be taking this with you?” I asked as I started wrapping it up.

                “Actually, can you please have someone deliver it? I want it to be a surprise.”

                “Sure no problem. Which house would you like me to send it to?” I know every single person in this town, that’s nothing to brag about really since this place is so small.

                “The Song residence.”

                I stopped wrapping the plant for a second. Song residence? Did they have a daughter? I just knew that a lovely couple lived there with no kids. “The Song residence?” I repeated.

                “Yeah these are for my mom, is there a problem?” he asked.             

                I don’t know why but a pleasant feeling was radiating through my body. Relief? “Oh,” I said in a happier tone. “To Mrs. Song Chung Ae right?”

                He nodded his head and observed me. “You seem happier all of a sudden.”

                I blinked and looked at him. “What do you mean?” I asked.

                He shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know, just my observation.”

                I just laughed awkwardly and continued what I was doing. He paid for the flowers and thanked me before heading out the door. I kept staring at his back as he made his way back to his house. What a great way to start the day, I thought to myself.

                “What are you zoning out about?” a voice whispered in my ear.

                I jumped from shock and covered my mouth so I wouldn’t scream.

                My mom laughed and walked away. “Pay back for earlier,” she said in a teasing tone.

~~~

                The next day, I was in the back of the store putting some flowers in the fridge when I heard my mom screaming for me.

                “I’m coming!” I ran out of the fridge and to the front of the store. “What’s-” I stopped in my tracks when I saw the man from yesterday in our store again. He looked comfortable in skinny sweats and a white t-shirt. “Hi,” I said absentmindedly. I wasn’t expecting to see him again.

                “Hi,” he replied. “I was in the area and wanted to come in to say thanks for the flowers. My mom really loved them.”

                I smiled. “I’m glad to hear that.” I didn’t know what else to say so we just silently looked at each other.

                “Ahem.”

                I turned to see that my mom was standing there patiently waiting for me to introduce her. “Oh, this is my mom.”

                He bowed at her and smiled. “Nice to meet you.”

                “It’s nice to meet you too. Are you from here? I’ve never seen you before,” she asked.

                “Ah, my parents actually live here. I’m just here to visit.”

                “Ah, you must be the Songs’ son. I’ve heard a lot about you from your mom,” she responded. “You are in the military correct? A high position as well?” she asked.

                I didn’t know that my mom was that close to his mom. This wasn’t our hometown but my mom decided to move here a couple of years ago after complaining that I was too far from home. She still didn’t like the city though so she decided to live in a town just on the outskirts of Seoul.

                “That is correct I’m in the military I’m just on leave. I guess my mom likes talking about me a lot,” he said while laughing.

                “I mean how can she not like talking about you? Look at you, you’re so handsome,” my mom complimented him. He just bowed and thanked her awkwardly. “Anyway, I have to go talk to a client. I’ll see you around..?”

                “Joongki,” he said.

                “I’ll see you around, Joongki ssi. Come often okay?” she said before leaving.

                “Of course,” he laughed and she left. He turned to look at me. “I never got your name,” he said.

                “Oh right. I’m Ha Eun,” I told him as I bowed.

                He bowed back. “I’m Joongki.”

                I smiled, “I know.”

                He chuckled and looked around the store. “So what are those flowers?” he pointed to a colorful bunch.

                “They’re chrysanthemums.”

                “They’re pretty. Do they represent anything? Like the orchids?” he asked.

                I nodded my head. “Chrysanthemums represent cheerfulness, devotion, loyalty, and lasting friendship. It also represented the royalty in Japan.”

                “Wow you know a lot about flowers,” he said seemingly impressed.

                I scratched my neck, something I did when I was nervous or shy. “Well, can’t help it. My mom preached about flowers ever since I was in her stomach.”

                He laughed at my joke and grabbed a bouquet of yellow chrysanthemums. “Can you make tea with these?”

                “Mhm hm. You can also put it in your salads to brighten it up. Or you can even put it in your soups if you want to balance out heavy scents. There’s even a study that shows that potted Chrysanthemums improve air quality and-” I stopped myself after I realize I was babbling and he was just watching me with an arched eyebrow, clearly amused. “Sorry, I tend to rant,” I scratched my neck again.

                He shook his head. “That’s fine. I like people who have a passion for what they do.” He handed the flowers to me. “I’ll get these.”

                “Really?” I asked. Another bouquet of flowers?

                He nodded his head. “My dad really likes chrysanthemum tea. That’s why I asked. I think it’ll be nice if I made some. Or maybe a nice chrysanthemum salad like you said.”

                I grabbed the flowers from his hands. “Wow so you can cook I’m guessing?”

                He shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t mean to brag but after living by myself I can make a pretty mean instant ramen.”

                I genuinely laughed but stopped after realizing that I sounded like I was being sarcastic. “Sorry, I just wasn’t expecting that.” I started walking to the cash register and he followed suit.

                “That’s fine. Laugh more it suits you.”

                I blushed after hearing him compliment me. Thank god he was behind me so he didn’t see my face. He paid for the flowers and waved goodbye before leaving once again.

 


A/N: This is going to be two parts because it's kind of long. Who can't get over Joongki in Descendantts of the Sun?! Hope you enjoy it :)