Chapter 4

I'm scared, but what can I do if it's you?

 

“I like you… Junsu hyung..” Changmin finally said it. He finally confessed his feelings!

“Really?! You are not kidding me are you?”

Changmin shakes his head and he feels braver.

“Said again Changmin!” Junsu hyung’s beady eyes is so beautiful.

“I..l-like you.. very..much..” he adds.

Suddenly his own body covered with Junsu. “Me too Min!! Gosh! You are very cute..”

“R-really??” Changmin can’t believe Junsu hyung feels the same as him.

“I am! I really like you!”

-----

Changmin sure have a great rest. He feels his body shore is gone and he looks better to his surroundings. The clinic bed even feels not that bed. And he had a great dreams too. He confessed his feelings to Junsu and got a positive feedback too. He even got a hug and got to see how Junsu hyung’s smile from up close. Even though it’s just a dream, Changmin already feels so full and happy. How can he hope so much that dream comes true..

“Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!” Changmin shrieks. His eyes doesn’t playing tricks right? W-what Junsu hyung did here? Why is he sleeping on the bed right to him? Did Changmin sleep walking? Did Changmin accidentally move somewhere else to see this hyung?

The other body on the bed is moving. Changmin got tense in a second. “You wake up?”

“S-sorry…” His voice was very loud.

“Nahh.. I already get a very nice sleep too.” The older stretches on his bed before smiling so brightly to Changmin. Dang! That smile! The smile on his dream becomes reality! “Have a good rest?”

“I-I am..” Changmin tries not to mesmerize so much with the smile yet he’s sure it failed so badly.

“I skipped class, it’s boring to hear Yoochun’s toxicology. Are you too?”

“J-Jaejoong sunbaenim told me to rest for a while.”

“Why? Are you sick?”

“J-just…” How can he say he was thinking about him all night long? “Lack of sleep..”

“You really sleep well.” Junsu hyung’s eyes glints with mirth.

Speaking of him sleep so well, what time is it now? He skipped Yunho sunbaenim’s class because of Jaejoong sunbaenim’s permission. But if he skips longer than that, will he be okay? He looks at his wrist to check it. W-what?! It’s almost lunch!!

“I-I need to go back.” Changmin hurriedly gets up and tidies the bed. He’s sure skip class too long.

“Why?”

“I skip class too long hyung.” He’s sure in trouble of the next class is not teach by his resident. Their consulant doctor likes to check their student’s presence randomly.

“Will you be alright? It’s lunch break in thirty minutes.”

“Maybe. I don’t know hyung. I never skip class. I hope I won’t end in morgue detention longer” Changmin answers and earns a laugh from the older. “W-what?”

Junsu still laughing but his tadpole eyes never leaving Changmin. Is he still in his good dreams? Because he just see the exact gaze from Junsu hyung on his dreams. Too beautiful, Changmin can’t look longer to it.

“You are just too cute you know. Still scared of ghost?” Junsu ruffles Changmin’s black short hair. It caught Changmin off guard that suddenly the senior’s hand brushes with his hair. “Skip class till lunch with me?”

“P-pardon hyung?” Changmin’s chest swell with more and more happiness. Today sure his very lucky day to see Junsu hyung. The older pampers him very much with the talk and all. And no scary place around.

“Skip class? With me?”

No matter how tempting that offer to Changmin, he doesn’t know how longer he can keep his heart not to leap out from his chest. “J-jaejoong hyung could cut down my credit though hyung..” He doesn’t want to be seen like declining the glorious offer. He wants so much spending time longer with Junsu hyung. He wants to see how Junsu laugh that free with him around. Just but..

“I know. You are a good student to start with after all.” Junsu ruffles his hair again. Changmin surely will like the gesture a lot after this. “Don’t forget after school today okay? You are reserved for our assignment. Meet me in front of the student’s hall and don’t move the meeting place by yourself.” He giggles. “You don’t know what’s the new ghost will do to you right?”

“N-new ghost?” Changmin turns tense all over.

The older winks at Changmin. “Secret, not telling you.”

Changmin told his mouth and body to behave well. He’s in front of the person he likes. Please don’t do more embarrassing things around him. He can dislike you Changmin. No scaredy cat thingy. Who knows Junsu hyung might hate a coward. You don’t know. He gulps instead.

“I will go now. Don’t forget okay?”

Changmin only nods because his tounge is bitten not to let out any strange sound.

On the way back into his class, Changmin can’t help feels the shiver ran through his spine every time he walks pass the corridor and asking himself about what is this new ghost about.

-----

Kyuhyun gives him the notes from classes that Changmin skipped. The last thirty minutes before lunch is a free class. It means no subjects from their consulants. Two alive case reported though, but it’s not their turn for the night shift today, so not their problem to take part. He asked Kyuhyun about the new ghost story around. What was that about?

“What? You want to scare yourself again? You even scared to a big funny porcupine ghost when we were on freshmen year.”

Changmin makes a face to Kyuhyun of why he must rub it off every time they discuss about these things. He aborts his decision to know about the ghost thing.

The day Changmin passing today is relative calm. Only one and two bothersome cliques of Kim Minji that makes his bag fall down and one boy from the back telling ghost story on the toilet. Changmin knows it already but it’s never fail to make him scrunches behind Kyuhyun’s back and grips tight his fist not to shout or whine. He will be the jokes of the class if he do that.

The clock finally hits three pm. “You go back now? Or should we find something for dinner?”

“Need to meet Junsu hyung. We didn’t get to finish it yesterday.” CHangmin answers.

Of course, that witch Kim Minji doing dirty tricks on Changmin. “You should be careful of that Minji witch okay? I don’t know what kind of tricks she has on her sleeves again.”

“Fine, I’ll be alright.”

“Don’t get stuck at the morgue. Go back early. As fast as you can.” Kyuhyun warns.

“Definitely. I won’t spending longer time in this creepy place.”

Changmin waits for Junsu at the front door of student hall. Junsu hyung must be gather all their group mates around. At least they can done it today and no more after class group work after this day.

“Wait long?”

Changmin almost jumps from the surprise appearance. This one hyung he adores a lot sure likes to make his heart speedometer increase like crazy. Not only from his surprise, but his smile too, his..laugh too, his……eyes… He feels very corny to think like that but he can’t help it.

“Do you see the new ghost I told you?”

“T-there is no g-ghost here. It’s still daylight.”

“But if you look at it thoroughly you will-

“Why do you like telling me ghost stories?” Is he Kim Minji cliques too? Is he trying to make fun of Changmin too?

Junsu only laughs. “Just kidding..” He repositions his bag on his shoulder. “So, let’s get started shall we?”

Eh? Only them? “The others?”

“They already submit their part to me. We just need to assemble it together on the presentation slides and done!”

So? It’s just the two of them today? Student hall is not as crowd as yesterday because mostly finished theirs yesterday. It makes Changmin’s anticipation grows, he will spend couple of hours ahead with Junsu hyung! Can he keep his chest not to burst out from too much beating crazily?

But it turns out to be quiet exciting. He laughs so many times to Junsu’s jokes. They assemble the data with light hearted and no ghost related things around. Three hours with Junsu hyung feels so short and they finally done for the rest of their works. Somewhere in the middle, Junsu hyugn even promised him to have lunch together sometimes. They walked back together. The back of their hands brushes along the way. Changmin could still feel the tingle skin stays on his hand. The moment they parted from the dormitories gate, Changmin looks at Junsu’s back until it’s really gone.

Changmin found a white plastic bags contain of food on his door knob. Kyuhyun must be sending him his dinner. He took it and went inside his room. And that night, Changmin finds himself can’t sleep earlier than he expected again despite the finished work. He thought of how great it is if he can confess his feelings to Junsu hyung and become his boyfriend. Boyfriend? Don’t dream Changmin. It’s still a long way to go. Changmin can’t even properly saying it out, even by himself.

-----

They decided to divide the part for their presentation so every coass have the chance to speak on the front. Changmin is the third, and Junsu hyung is the last person. They divide the part equally and it also helps them to learn more for their own part. Kim Minji still giving him glares even though she sticks too close to Junsu hyung for all the time. He doesn’t have that brave gut like her. She envious of her. She jealous of her being so close with Junsu hyung. Changmin has to avert his eyes not to show how pissed he is to her. If she knows it, then she will win. The pride on him still doesn’t let him to lose from that girl.

When Changmin gets back for the next class, he finds Kyuhyun talking with someone.

“Minho? Is that you?!” Changmin can’t believe his eyes. His other bestie is here!

“Yoo scaredy cat! Can you survive?”

“What are you doing here?” Changmin’s long legs spend no more longer times to stride the two of his very best friend. Finally the three musketeers are here. Full members.

“Let say I got to see how well you are doing and him.” Minho pats Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

“I hear his whining daily, that was your part before.” Kyuhyun mutters.

“Your fault to be place with him on forensic.” Minho laughs.

Changmin makes a face. “It’s not that bad..”

“Not that bad?! It’s even worse than when we were had anatomy classes on second semester! You said that it’s not that bad?!” Kyuhyun widens his eyes to show he means it.

“Wow, you sure have patient Kyu.” Minho pats longer on his best friend shoulder.

Is he really make it that bad to Kyuhyun? “Well, sorry…”

Minho laughs jokingly. “Just kidding Min. So, you guys don’t have class?”

“You tell me first. What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun asks back.

“Why? Am I not allowed here? I just finished my neurology department two days ago.” Minho smirks.

“You had it done? So where is your next rolling??” Changmin’s turn to ask.

Before Minho can answer it, the residents enter the class. Minho hurriedly gone from Kyuhyun and Changmin, they thought he ran out the class asap.

“So, today we will get new coasses again. There will be nine of them. Please stand up, new students.”

The back line’s student suddenly get up. Changmin and Kyuhyun look back to find Choi Minho is one of the standing coasses. That bastard. He is the new forensic department coasses!

“You all will follow the same class as your senior. All the rules and night shift is on your guidance book. Read carefully and choose your team leader. He or she will contact me asap to make your lab schedule. Today you will start the night shift. No leaving the post until your replacement is in. If I heard any report of missing coass, the punishment is three times twenty four hours night shift. Immediately.”

And so the fearful acceptance speech from Jaejoong sunbaenim surely enough to warn them again no to play hide and seek with them. They said they caught coasses playing on the nearby mall on their night shift turn before. And no one knows how badly the punishment is but surely not a very good one.

“You should pray that your name will come out the first for death admission this week. It will sure less troublesome when doing the report.” Changmin recommends.

“You got it already?” Minho asks between their class.

Changmin nods.

“With who?”

“Annoying girl name Kim Minji.” Kyuhyun sends a look at the girl that seat like a princess at the back row.

“Why? You guys have problem with her?”

Kyuhyun looks at Changmin, Changmin doesn’t look at his friends.

“What? Changmin? What you did??”

“He did nothing. Just that girl overly jealous with some second year that coming to him since then.”

“Someone is making a move to him? This scaredy cat?”

“NO! He doesn’t make a move on me!”

“Who is this guy? He likes Changmin?”

“Kim Minji said so..”

“Noo.. He doesn’t like me. It’s just ridiculous.” Even though he hopes very much to it become true.

“You sound disappointed Min. Don’t tell me, it’s YOU who likes him.”

Changmin caught red handed. Minho can read him well than Kyuhyun, he knows. But not this fast he can guess what Changmin had been keep a secret from anyone. He likes to treasure his moment with Junsu by himself. They talk a lot, joke lot, and walk together a lot if Kyuhyun had their group meeting or eating out with Minah. Yes, that two lovebirds got really close that almost makes Changmin feels like he is the third wheel on them.

“Say it to him. Say you like him. And Kim Minji will get lost by herself. What things he can do if that second year likes you back?”

“He is not like me Minho.” Changmin presses the word NOT.

“You didn’t ask him. You can’t judge people by yourself right?

Minho is right but.. It’s impossible. And Changmin want to say it if he can. He just.. “…I…can’t”

“Why you can’t?”

How pathetic Changmin to remember every time he tries to speak the L words but never succeeded. “Because..” He really feels so ugly. “..I am.. a coward..” Not only with ghost thingy, he afraid too with confessing his love. If it means he can stay close to Junsu without confessing his feelings, then he will do it. It’s already enough for him.

-----

Five days is rolling and tomorrow is the day when they finally had to present their report. There will be five groups and they still don’t know who go first or who go the last. And in that five days too, Changmin sees his Junsu hyung less and less. At first he doesn’t realize it. He’s too busy with Minho’s sudden intrusion to forensic department that he almost doesn’t realize the missing piece. But when Changmin’s group asked to submit their report presentation, he didn’t see Junsu anywhere. It’s Eunhyuk hyung that submitted it together with Changmin. Eunhyuk hyung said Junsu hyung is not very well. Is he sick?

On the same day, Changmin tries to search and ask why Junsu hyung was not there to submit their work. Junsu hyung came late. He came just a minute before dr. Flinska entered the class. Changmin saw how Junsu walke to the morning class without noticing Changmin’s existence on the front row. Eunhyuk and Junsu hyung’s are sit on the back too. Almost very close to Kim Minji and the others ‘cool’ ones. That girl can’t be happier to sit next to the senior she really fancies at. Changmin only feels more despair.

The day after and the next day didn’t seem any difference. Changmin spent more time with Minho as Kyuhyun is always busy with their group assignment that still need more correction. Changmin couldn’t have a talk with Junsu hyung anymore. Minji is getting happier from what Changmin looks. She doesn’t do this glare thing anymore because Junsu hyung is always seen around her. A lot.

The next and the day after that, he couldn’t find Junsu hyung anymore. Is he hiding now?

“Why do you always have this sour look? Kim Minji is pestering you lesser, you finished your assignment earlier, and even Jaejoong sunbaenim praised yours. And now what?” Minho crosses his hand. Changmin is keeping something to himself but he doesn’t share what bothers him.

“No.. just….”

“What? Kim Junsu?”

Changmin stays silent.

“What’s again about him? You didn’t let me know him. I just know he has this beady glaring eyes every time I saw him. I want to know him. Is he kind enough? Is he good? But I don’t see anything particular in him that makes him special. He didn’t do anything to you either from the first day I’m here.”

“He is kind.. and funny too. He jokes a lot with ghost thing.. But I can’t make myself angry to him..” Changmin realizes how many ghost stories on each floor Junsu hyung had told him. “He helped me a lot.. I was left behind the morgue, I was tricked by Minji, he helped me a lot.”

Minho covers Changmin’s trembled shoulder.

“Dummy. You should say that to him..”

“What if he hates me? He’s avoiding me for days now.”

“And why is that?”

“I..i don’t know either..” Changmin remembers every time he tried to greet the senior. He always failed.

“Find out. Ask him. You won’t know until you-“

“Oh my god! Minji you just confessed?!”

Minho can’t help to look at his back. The girls and Kim Minji at the center of the circle is shrieking loudly. No coasses in the class will not hear what they just saying. Kim Minji confessed to who?

“So, what did Junsu oppa said? He said he likes you too?”

“Are you guys dating now?”

Minho looks beside him and Changmin’s face fall into a deeper sadness.

“I said I like him. He silent but I said I will wait for his answer tomorrow.”

“Why don’t you ask him now Minji? Junsu oppa sure likes you too!”

Changmin feels uglier. Minji is the better one for Junsu hyung. She is brave and beautiful too. Who is he anyway?

“I know he will say yes no matter when he will answer that. That’s why I should just wait. Oppa will say he likes me too though.” Minji says full confidence and shyness.

“Minji we are so happy for you!”

“Glad he finally realizes who is better for him right?”

“Not like another scaredy coward cat!”

Those bunches of girls mock and laugh loudly at Changmin. Minho keeps saying to Changmin about forgetting those girls stupid saying. They speak so big and baseless fact. They just want to win from Changmin. They did that to make Changmin feels defeated and stupid.

Yet it’s exactly what Changmin feels at the moment. Kim Minji succeeds her mission to defeat him in everything about Junsu hyung. She just won, without even Changmin have a chance to confess.

-----

“Min! Come on! It’s going to get dark now!” Kyuhyun shouts from where Changmin standing. He finally saw Junsu hyung on his night shift uniform with Eunhyuk sunbaenim too. He wants to see him so badly.

“Changmin! We are leaving you if you don’t come here now!”

“You go first Kyu! Minho!” Changmin already starts to turn around.

“Hey! What?! Are you serious?!!” Kyuhyun wants to smack a sense on Changmin’s head about being left alone at the hospital. Is he like.. serious?

“Let him be.” Minho halts Kyuhyun’s effort.

“Minho, he’s just asking us to LEAVE him behind, and it’s almost dark. You know that right?”

“I know.” Minho also knows why Changmin wants to go there. “But maybe there’s something he’s more scared to lose.”

“What? He come back there to retrieve something?”

“Let’s go back. Changmin knows what he’s doing.” Minho already turns around and walks to his dormitories.

Kyuhyun gives one last look to where Changmin ran into before follow Minho and still asking him what things Changmin left there.

 

<3