Chapter 2

I'm scared, but what can I do if it's you?

 

Changmin had to give it. He had to find Junsu before the class started. He roams over the canteen and tries his best to search the said senior. He looks left and right before hearing the familiar laughing from afar. Spot! There he is. He knows some of the seniors, Sungmin and Eunhyuk hyung. They might getting breakfast, class starts at nine and they have plenty of time before it really started.

Changmin makes his way to the senior’s table, checked his look and the notes is neat and good enough before meeting the older. Why does he feel nervous?

The senior spots him before he could arrive at the table. He’s greeted with a warm smile that make his empty stomach to turn over. It’s funny. Changmin answers with the best smile he could make at the time.

“You found me eh?”

“Uhm yes. I know you’re here.”

“And I guess I found you before you really could fine me.” The sunny smiles is so bright.

Changmin felt a little uncomfortable receiving a weird glances from the other senior in front of him. But he can care less.

“Can I help you Changmin?”

“Here hyung.” He shoves the copy of his notebook. “I wanted to give you the copy of the classes you missed yesterday.” Changmin can’t look straight. Why? “Umm.. and I want to thank you for helping me yesterday.” Changmin bows a little.

“Oooooooooo…” The sounds comes from the two senior beside Junsu hyung.

Sudden call from their residents on the hospital radio halt every single coasses at the canteen, in fact it might be for the whole forensic’s coass at the hospital.

“New case admitted! A death case report is on the waiting room. Six coass said below are required immediate presence on the morgue. Senior, Kim Junsu, Lee Eun Hyuk, Park Eunbi.” Eunhyuk high fiving with Junsu. They got their report on the very first week. Which means the rest three weeks ahead is only a game.

“Junior, Han Yoogeum, Kim Minji, and lastly Shim Changmin.”

Changmin stood frozen after he heard his name called, but without Kyuhyun with him.

“Immediate presence are required at the morgue. We will perform a Y incision autopsy to the corpse, prepare gloves and masks in sufficient amount. I repeat. Immediate presence are required at the morgue. Thank you.”

The end of the news only imply two meaning. First, a long break for any coasses that are not being called because the residents will be busy enough with the autopsy and leave the class. Second, they will stay in a very long long time at the morgue to perform an autopsy in one corpse. Changmin heard it can take six to seven hours at the least. He feels nausea and alittle bit dizzy hearing the call. If it’s not Kyuhyun that found him standing blankly in the middle of the canteen, he won’t realize to go immediately.

He’s scared. That’s not to be questioned anymore.

But he had too. He can’t possibly refuse the call. It’s their resident, the right hand of the consulant that called for them. He had to be there, even he likes it or not. No more option available.

“Easy Changmin. It’s daylight. You don’t have to be scared about anything.” Kyuhyun tells him.

Changmin nods one last time before entering the morgue and closed the door behind him. No one can easily enter nor get out from the autopsy easily when the procedure is on-going. The stench of formalin is thick enough seeping through Changmin’s mask. It makes him dizzy all over.

Just do it as what he learned and everything will be fine. He will get out from there as fast as he could and no more corpse room until his next night shift.

Changmin worriedly looks around the room and found a suspicious orange colored bag, size two meters in length, and he suspects it to be the corpse bag. He gulps down the fear by looking the seniors are poking and even try to look inside the bag. Changmin don’t have any guts to do so. He stays the furthest from the corpse while waiting for their residents appear to start the autopsy.

“Attention.”

Jaejoong sunbaenim’s call ending their waiting.

“We will perform the Y incision autopsy as I said before. We will divided into three groups. Group one responsible to head and neck organs, including brain slicing. Group two responsible to internal organs, thorax, abdomen, intestinal, heart, and all behind.”

Some students already wincing imagine the words.

“The third group will responsible for extremities, hands and legs.” Jaejoong sunbaenim is walking toward the orange bag. “As you can smell, it was formalin. They need to get family’s agreement before we can perform this autopsy. While waiting for their approval, we injected the formalin into the blood vessel to make the corpse long lasting and doesn’t inducing further worse smell or even decaying process. It was suspected to be a planned murder, so it’s still in a quiet good condition. No broken bones or blood on her skin. And it’s a woman body, that’s why we perform the Y incision autopsy, for cosmetic consideration.”

Jaejoong sunbaenim opens the bag and Yunho sunbaenim is behind him, taking photos of the corpse. Changmin can see the white skin behind the bags.

Just do it like in anatomy class. Changmin mutters only to himself, countless times. He can do this.

When the whole body is exposed, Changmin can see there’s bubble on the edge of her lips. Her body stay rigid no matter how many times they rolled her to get rid of the orange bag.

“We will divided the group. The senior already passing surgical department, so its junior-senior group.” Jaejoong announces. “Group one, Lee Eunhyuk and Kim Minji. Go there with Yoochun sunbaenim perform the brain slicing.”

“Kim Junsu and Shim Changmin, take the body part. You two go with me.” Jaejoong sunbaenim calls them to approach the body part. Changmin still breathes in relieve not to get the brain slicing part.

“Lee Eunbi and Han Yoogeum, take the extremities with Yunho sunbaenim.”

Each name stays in position before Jaejoong sunbaenim picks the scalpel to do the incision.

“Let’s start the autopsy.”

-----

Each time Changmin hesitates to do the instruction came from his resident, he notices Junsu takes the responsibility to cover him. Taking out the heart, liver, even measuring the length of the intestine. Changmin definitely have no idea how it works. He knows the how to, but for actually picking up the organs is absolutely terrifying.

When they were already half way on the autopsy, Changmin starts to be brave. He takes out the spleen as instructed and measured its length. Changmin can see Junsu brief smile even behind the mask. He suddenly feels proud of himself. Instead of hearing his resident murmuring theories about autopsy, Changmin’s concentration always focused on Junsu’s work. Whenever the senior is finding trouble, he would be there to help. He would give his senior the needed surgical tools first before the people who charges in autopsy instrument. Changmin’s eyes never left the older. He’s so fascinated how agile Junsu cuts and pulls out the whole thing inside.

After seven and half hour enduring the battle with the autopsy and bad odor, they were finally finished and can relax a bit. The cause of death found to be poison. It was identified as arsenic. The cops dealt with more speculation and their residents leave them to close and clean up the mess. The corpse is stitched on every cut made on the skin. Because Jaejoong sunbaenim left them already, Changmin has to accompany Junsu all the way till the end. Junsu is in charge to sewing the skin edge and after doing almost half of it, he secretly let Changmin did the sewing. He told him to make a little practice before entering surgical department. Of course he’s scared, after all it’s a dead body he will be sewn. But Junsu’s request seemed tempting to be done. What is it feels like to do hecting in real one? Of course a practice is definitely a help.

“I know you can. It doesn’t feel that different with the real live human skin, except the temperature maybe.” Junsu gives him the needle and its holder with the strings attached on it.

“C-can I?” Changmin feels so trhilled. He will going to do his first hecting!

“Of course you can.” Junsu said back. “I will cover you.” He said again in whisper.

Changmin feels excited. He nods eagerly before taking the tools Junsu offers to him and starts the procedure. Now, it’s Changmin’s turn to show he can also do this. He pierces the skin lightly, tries to feel the thickness carefully, and slopes down into the inside so that the string gets in properly.

“You are sure good for a first timer doing this in a real one.” Junsu praises.

Changmin confidence flew up high. He bravely ties the knots he made for the first time. He smiles and knots another string into the flesh, one after another. In no time he almost finishes the last part of the incision mark.

“Let me do this. This one is quiet complicated. You should tie differently.” Junsu winks before slowly taking the equipment from Changmin’s gloved hands. Another heart beat leaps into another on his chest. Changmin confuses. Is it because his first time experience? Or maybe because of the senior in front of him just touch his hands and winked to him? Changmin doesn’t know anymore.

As much as he can help, Changmin assists Junsu’s fast hand to finishing the hecting. He looks closely what the senior might need for a help. In no time, they finish.

“Are you two finish?” Jaejoong sunbaenim approaches them. He looks at the knots they did. Changmin gulps down his nervous. Afraid of his work might not get an appreciation from his senior. If he did it wrong, Junsu might get a scold from Jaejoong sunbaenim. And Changmin would feel so bad. Junsu can do it much better than him.

“Good. It’s clean and neat. Clean the rest and those needles. After that, you two can work out the report.” Jaejoong sunbaenim leaves them with approvement of their work. Changmin can’t feel more delight. His smiles spread from ear to ear.

“See, you did a great job.” Changmin receives a pat on his head. It’s Junsu’s hand. His pulses dances with excitement. He only nods and smile wider if he can.

“Thank you so much hyung.”

Junsu smiles back. “Guess we still have some report to do.” Jokes.

“I can do that!” Changmin eagerly replies and receives a laugh from the older.

“We should do that together, okay?”

Is that a promise to meet again with Changmin? Is that mean Changmin can spend more time with Junsu hyung? Is that mean Changmin can see Junsu alone again later? “Yes!”

Changmin never knows, working at the morgue can be this happy.

-----

“Hey. Shim Changmin.”

Changmin looks up from his breakfast to find a girl, her sharp eyes appears menacingly and tries to tell Changmin not to play a game with her. At her back, there are two girls and one big build boy that also eyeing him intimidatingly. Changmin knows the one at the front. She is the beauty of his year, Kim Minji. She also called for today’s morgue report. Maybe she had something to tell Changmin.

“You had quiet acquaintance with Kim Junsu oppa?”

Changmin confuses with the talk that the girl propose. “I’m sorry?”

She scoffs. “Looks like I have to tell you blatantly.” She looks more into Changmin. “Do you like Junsu oppa?”

Huh? He? And Junsu hyung? “What are you saying about?”

“If you are, then back off. You don’t stand a chance with him.”

What is this girl talking about?

“Yeah, you should stay on your place.” One girl on the left speaks. “Minji is way much better for Junsu oppa than your skinny lanky body that towering people, rookie.”

“She is beautiful, and very compatible for Junsu oppa too.” The girl on the right side speaks. “And you?” She looks at Changmin like he’s not even worth to be looked at. “I don’t think you have that quality right? Scaredy cat!” The four students laugh, as well as other students on the canteen.

“You think your secret won’t be exposed huh? You scaredy cat!”

“Maybe you will be peed on your pants if someone doesn’t fetch you from the morgue every day right? He is your knight in shining armor?” The girls points at Kyuhyun.

“Shut your f***** mouth b*****s!” Kyuhyun slams the table.

“Owhh, the prince is getting hot head.” She looks again at Changmin. “Take care of your scaredy cat ne. Don’t let him on loose and snatch what other’s thing have.” She said before leaving the table and occupied the furthest one from there. Kyuhyun snarls back at anyone that still looking at them.

“What are you looking at?!”

Changmin sill stays silent. People knows his secret. They know. And Changmin sure he will be the target of every people’s play soon or later.

“Min, don’t worry. They won’t dare to speak a thing on you.” Kyuhyun assures.

“B-but..kyu..”

“Let them say what they want. And I’m sure Kim Junsu won’t like her. He already likes somebody else.” Kyuhyun says.

Eh? “How do you know that?” Changmin questions Kyuhyun confusingly.

“If you are me, you will know.” Kyuhyun winks.

-----

The following week, Changmin can’t get a good rest of people’s ghostly jokes. They keep saying terrifying things about every part in the morgue and even toilets and the canteen. Not that Changmin wants to hear it, but they practically speak about it very loud and Changmin can’t possibly not to hear that. They are giving stories of all the place where Changmin almost everyday spending time the most and they saying there are ghosts there?! He has to drag Kyuhyun wherever he goes. He can’t possibly stay alone anymore.

But today. Changmin can’t possibly drag Kyuhyun with him. He has to meet the group when he worked with the death case before. They have to submit the presentation in two days. They have to move fast. Junsu hyung proposed to meet after class and when their class finish, it’s almost five pm. The sun will come down in less than an hour. Changmin hates to stay in hospital, especially when it’s dark. Kyuhyun has his own meeting with his group. How Changmin hope Minho will be going to the same hospital as him and Kyuhyun, maybe he won’t be left alone like this time.

“Don’t be late scaredy cat. We should meet on the first floor hall later.” Minji says to Changmin who tidy up his desk.

“Not in the student hall?” Changmin confirms what information he just get.

“Junsu oppa told me to move the meeting place.” Minji says before leaving Changmin.

Well at least she still told Changmin important things when it’s needed. Changmin doesn’t really care about the bad treatment he got. When his clerkship in forensic department is done, he won’t ever meet her again. Hopefully not.

“Kyu, where is your meeting place?” Changmin asks.

“Beside the student hall. I heard the hall is already full booked. So we don’t have any places left that still having a strong internet connection.”

Changmin sighs long. “It means I should go by myself.” He looks outside, still good enough for a walk upstairs.

“There is nothing Changmin. There still light and you should not afraid of anything.”

He can’t do anything though. “Okay..” Changmin gathers his bag. “I’m going.”

Kyuhyun takes a pity on his best friend. “Want me to go with you?”

Changmin bites his lower lip. How Changmin wants to say yes immediately if he doesn’t think that Kyuhyun can get late into his group meeting. “No.. it’s fine. You’ll be late.”

“Just for today. You finish it and that’s all.” Kyuhyun assures him.

Changmin can only smiles in return before leaves for his meeting group.

-----

“Hey Minah!” Kyuhyun waves his hand.

“Hello Kyu. Where’s the other?”

“Dunno. Just arrive.”

The half-japanese girl looks at her watch. “They are sure late.”

 “Maybe the seniors have class.”

Minah points inside the student hall. “There are seniors. Our seniors just too lazy to meet up like us.”

“Let’s just wait.” Kyuhyun sits beside Minah. “I already did half of the first section. The second one is the longest.”

“Yeah, it is long. I already consult with Yunho sunbaenim. He said he wants another look after the presentation done.

Kyuhyun nods and waits for another twenty minutes but no one else coming. Minah getting for agitated. They won’t finish quickly if their seniors are not here yet. Kyuhyun peeks inside and found so many seniors inside. It means their class is already finish.

“Argh, those dumbs. Don’t they know, the more they late, it’s getting late for them to come back too?” Minah says with frustration. “Hey Kyu, should we start to make the report first?”

Kyuhyun still pastes his looks closely inside.

“What? Do you see something inside?” Minah asks.

“Minah.” Kyuhyun stares in disbelief. “Is that Junsu hyung?”

“Where?” Minha’s eyes follow where Kyuhyun’s finger pointing. “Yeah. It’s him and that girly princess Minji. Why?”

“What are they doing there?!”

Minah sees toward bunches of students there, not only Kim Junsu and Kim Minji. There are also Han Yogeum, Lee Eunhyuk, Park Eunbi. “Obviously. They did their report way earlier than us because their senior are too kind and smart to think that- Hey! Kyu! Where are you going?!”

At the moment Minah follows Kyuhyun inside the student hall, she doesn’t expect Kyuhyun starts to yell profanities to Kim Minji about tricking his best friend and how low her way to seek someone attention by tricking people. And then Kim Junsu oppa jumps from his seat and goes out from the student hall. Minji’’s shout to stop him is ignored. When the girl wants to follow Kim Junsu oppa, Kyuhyun stops her and shooting a deadly glare.

“Your dirty plan will never let you have him. You are only a disgusting chicks that is not even worth be seen.”

Kim Minji’s eyes form a glassy coat and then she runs away, to the opposite direction where Kim Junsu leaves. And Minah is in awe with how manly and cool Cho Kyuhyun looks.

 

<3