[ chapter three ]

[ cheering you on ] → story started
cheering
you on !
halifornia
Chapter Three
 
tumblr_static_5ouzs6zid2g48s08wogckcg0s.
[ episode three ]
 

[  T H E   D A Y  O F   T H E   I N C I D E N T
S O R A ' S   S T O R Y
  ]

A GROAN ESCAPES SORA’S mouth as she stares at the screen of her laptop. Secluded in the corner of her room, wrapped in her orange comforter, and tugging on the sleeves of her knitted pink sweater—Sora angrily huffs. She’s a straight A student—straight A! No B’s, no C’s, and definitely no A-minuses. An A minus is second best to an A; the feeling of getting one, is worse than getting an F, and that’s saying a lot. There has never been a moment of her life that her grades slipped below the perfect score of a four out of four. It gives her the heebie-jeebies just to know that her grades slipped. She has goosebumps lining her arms as her forehead smacks the top of her desk. This is ridiculous. At the smacking sound of her head hitting the table, her three-year-old bulldog, falls off the bed and scatters over to her. Immediately beginning to her her toes—making her squeal. “oo, I’m okay.” She murmurs as she picks up her head, and reaches down to pat his head. He barks in happiness as his tail wiggles and waggles, his head nudging against her hand.

Sora slumps out of her desk chair, to the floor below—keeping her comforter cladded around her. oo slurps and gurgles as he curls in a ball a top the comforter and next to her body. A long sigh of content leaving his mouth when doing so, just as he nudges his head over to stay atop her leg. Sora pets his beige and white head, “What am I going to do oo?” She whines, as her head leans back; before, she falls to the floor and stretches out her limps. She’s devastated. Her poor dog freaks out, and stumbles to her, her face and spitting as he gushes. “Ah, I’m okay! Really!” She cries as she reaches her hand up to pet his back and scratch affectionately behind his ears. 

“Sora, sweetie, Hoseok’s waiting downstairs. Are you almost ready?” A gasp of surprise leaves Sora’s mouth as she glances at the right hand corner of her laptop—after pulling herself up—to find it to be six. How did she not realize how late it was? School starts at six-thirty, if she’s not fast—the two will be late. Sora scatters to her feet, scaring her baby as she rips open her closet doors.

As she grabs for her uniform she shouts out, “I’ll be down in a minute!” No one responds, which makes her think they’re all conversing downstairs instead of paying attention to her. Fine, that’s good—no one will realize that it takes her an added ten or so minutes to throw on her uniform, brush her hair, and grabbing her backpack—shoving some binders into the bag, along with a few loose papers. She tramples down the stairs in a dash, oo following in tow—barking lightly. When she finally gets down stairs, she finds everyone talking nonchalantly in the kitchen—Hoseok sitting on one of the plush bar stools in front of the counter. She taps him on the shoulder, “Let’s go?” He nods—grabbing a granola bar off the table and shoving it into his bag.

Hoseok immediately head for the front door as Sora focuses her gaze on the two adults present in the room. The woman smiles and extends her hand out to wipe pieces of Sora’s orange hair out of her face. “Will you at least try out for a sport or join a club?” She wonders, placing her hand back on her waist. Sora rolls her eyes, as she crosses her arms over her chest.

“I’m not a big fan of getting sweaty, and talking to people is not my forte. Besides, I’m taking all advanced placement classes this year, I have to focus Auntie.” Ever since quitting gymnastics at a young age, Sora hasn’t really done any extracurricular activities that involves talking to others or interacting with a team element. Her main focus is getting high grades, and graduating. Following along the path of life that most students go through is a ridiculous thought, and a notion she doesn’t want to follow. Her aunt and uncle obviously don’t understand that. Though, they don’t pressure her or anything. They just want to make sure she’s having fun in life.

Her aunt sighs as she takes a step back to join her husband next to the stove. “Fine, fine. Now go, I don’t want you being late.” Sora nods, waving to her Aunt Dami, and Uncle Kyungwoo—before meeting up with Hoseok outside of her house. He smiles at her, passing the breakfast bar to her—knowing full well she forgot to grab one before leaving—and taking her bag off of her shoulders to sling over his own. She takes the granola bar thankfully, and rips the package open, taking a bite, as she follows after her cousin.

“One day, I’m not going to be here to walk to school with you—and remember the vital granola bar, and you’re going to miss me.” He jokes as his arm slides around her shoulder, and nudges her body close to his. “By that, I mean next year, when I’m in college and you’re still a dork.” He reaches over and pokes his finger into her forehead. Momentarily making her stop eating to look at him, glare (for making her stop eating), and go back to munching on her granola bar like a rabbit. Hoseok laughs and shakes her body by jiggling the arm he has wrapped around her shoulder. 

Once done munching on her granola bar, she shoves the wrapper in Hoseok’s pant pocket—making him groan in disgust. “You couldn’t wait to throw it in a trash can when we get to school?” He questions with a shake of his head.

“Eh, too lazy.” She murmurs as her brain goes back to her grade point average. Her perfect straight A grade, is tarnished. By a stupid fitness class. It’s not even that important, running? Since when was that a needed tool? There’s a thing called cars, they’re there for a reason. And all though Daejeon has major traffic and Sora has no reason to get a license, there’s a subway and her on-call chauffer. There’s no need for running, jogging, or even fast walking. The point of exercise is to merely keep fit. And she keeps fit fine. She has some muscles; but, she’s as thin as needed and doesn’t over eat to the point she gains weight. Besides, the stupid sports they force you to participate in while taking the class, are ridiculous. Football, baseball, basketball, and more. When will she ever use these tactics? 

Hoseok nudges the side of her head with his own, “I can see your brain calculating.” Sora huffs and glances down at her shoes—watching her footsteps as they clamber against the concrete sidewalks. “Is something wrong? No one’s bothering you right?” Hoseok’s voice seems to to transition into seriousness as his gaze hardens. His number one mission (since Sora entered Daejeon two years ago) is to protect his baby cousin. Especially seeing as he won’t be here next year, her final year, he’s overwhelmingly shielding her from any harm. Knowing that his cousin isn’t one for making friends (whether it’s her inability to do so, or need to not do so) he doesn’t want her to be bullied or hurt or left alone in the year he’ll be gone. 

“No, it’s just,” She huffs and comes to a stop, turning to face him. “Coach Jung dropped my grade in fitness because I can’t play soccer. I mean, that’s stupid, right?” Hoseok holds back a laugh at his cousin’s ridiculous anger. Fitness isn’t even that hard of a class, you ask how fast when he tells you to runt, and you ask how high when he tells you to jump. There’s no textbooks to memorize, or snarky teachers who play favorites. It’s just Coach Jung, with his grumpy features and an old clipboard from the nineties, marking down whether or not you ran four laps on the track and at least tried getting along with the others when forced to play sports. He doesn’t have favorites—he doesn’t even like anyone. And holds everyone to the same standard.

“How low did he mark you?” He asks with a tilt of his head.

She huffs as she puts her reddish cheeks—hopping the cold air would leave them alone. “A freaking A minus. What kind of devil builds you up by giving you an A and then tears you down when you see that little short line next to it? It’s disgusting, honestly! I bet it’s because I ran slow for track week.” Sora grans, banging her hands against her forehead in desperation. She’s not the most athletic, by far the least great at running; but, she tried her best—as best as she could. 

Hoseok now actually laughs. No longer sparring her feelings, and letting himself nearly fall over with laughter as she shoves him off in annoyance. “Jesus, that’s ing great!” He cries, swiping his fingers against the tears leaving his eyes. “I’m failing nearly all my classes, and this is what upsets you?” The boy continues to tear up in laughter—kneeling over his legs as Sora begins to walk faster, leaving him behind.

“How are we even related?” She shouts back frustrated. 

Hoseok nearly chokes on his laughs, “Because of our grandparents, no !” 

“Biologically maybe; but, our genes cannot be similar at all!” She sulks, crossing her arms and pulling her jacket closer to her body. Rarely ever does Hoseok comfort her. He usually laughs at her pain—although, her pain usually is laughable. There’s a five percent chance—no, scratch that, make it three point five percent—that Hoseok will actually comfort her. She remembers one specific event; but, she’s too tired to want to bring that event back into her head. Although, the mental pictures of that day flow through her head every time she sees Hyungwon’s stupid face.

Hoseok makes his way back up to her. Once again throwing his arm around her shoulders—despite her indifference. “I mean, the mitochondria’s the powerhouse of the cell…?” Sora twists her head at her cousin, who’s shrugging his shoulders as if to say he doesn’t know anything, and glares. Point proven.

The cousins are late. Again. Only by five minutes; but, for some reason, the school counts it like five hours. They enter the admissions office, coming to a stop at the front desk where Hoseok puts on a blazon smile for the senior female teacher’s assistant—who smiles back. Sora scoffs in imminent disgust. The fact that females actually find her cousin attractive, is just beyond the mental capacity her brain can handle. “Alright, you two know the drill.” Secretary Baek states as he slides the pink slips toward them with a pair of pens.

With a sigh, Sora begins signing her. Student identification number: three-one-one-six. Name: Park Sora. Time: Six-thirty-five. Date: September 19th, 2016. Reasons for lateness? Sora had to think about that one. It’s kind of a tradition at Daejeon to write down extravagant, and or ridiculous, excuses. For instances the last time she wrote one it said, “We can’t all be Usain Bolt.” Which is pretty freaking creative on her part.

She glances at her cousin to see he had already written “My meth lab caught on fire.”  Leaving her to write quickly, “I was sticking it to the man.” Secretary Baek doesn’t even notice their reasoning—he barely even looks at their names as he signs them and passes it back to them, shooing them off. Hoseok, for the last time, winks at the girl who blushes in return. Sora almost expects the girl to pass him her number; but, Hoseok is already out the door and doesn’t care that much. The only reason he ever does things like that, is because he likes the attention the females give him. It’s a reassurance that he’s good looking and actually has one thing going for him.

“What’s your first class by the way?” He asks as the two head off toward their locks—which are obviously next to one another. Seeing as their cousins—and also best friends—it was natural to pick lockers next to one another.

Sora pops her locker open and glances at him, “AP Literature, why?”

“Just wondering, I’m always forgetting,” He slings his backpack inside his locker—some of his lunch context spilling out—as he grabs for his only notebook and pencil and slams it shut. “Coming over to my house after school?”

Sora shakes her head as she grabs for her green literature two binder—not to get mixed with her yellow physics binder, or her red English three binder that sit atop it—and her pencil pouch before closing her locker as well. “Can’t. I have to study for tomorrows psychology quiz, Mister Tanaka is ruthless.” Hoseok nods his head, and reaches over—patting the top of hers.

“Don’t work too hard, the last time you got a nosebleed.” Sora nudges him away from her as she nods her head in response. She’s beginning to realize how overly caring he’s been the last few days. Ever since the beginning of the semester really. Like how he thinks she’s as fragile as a porcelain doll—about to break at any chance. Maybe Sora is delicate with her feelings—somethings—but she can handle herself. For the most part.

The two silent disperse into their second period classrooms, Sora heading into her literature class, and Hoseok heading to his Statistics class—where he’ll promptly ditch after roll call is taken. Sora’s class is filled with that of the top tier of students. She knows exactly none of them. Nor does she care about them, as she only wants to get through class without any interruptions from those who think it’s funny to mess with the teacher.

Her seat is in the far corner of the room—nearly at the back in the second row—she was the first to class that day and decided she wanted a window seat. She enjoys being able to look out at the city buildings when things get too boring in class. Her seat partner is a boy who carries his violin everywhere—as to why, she’s unsure. He’s pretty silent, and she’s thankful he doesn’t try to talk to her too much. Only ever conversing when forced to by their devout vegan teacher—who’s also the drama teacher.

Everything in class seemed to be going well. Sora was paying avid attention to anything he repeats twice or more—as that’s a sign it’ll be on the test. Nobody seems to bother him, or cause trouble. That is, until, their teacher—who, as said above, is a devout vegan who’s all about ‘not killing animals’—steps on what he believes to be a red ladybug. Nearly everyone keeps quiet as they watch him freeze, nearly dropping the Korean version of ‘Hamlet’ out of his hand. Sora can see the heart of a vegan break, just from the look in his eyes—she half expects him to start tearing up. He kneels down to the floor, everyone watching it intently, and begins to cradling it in his hand.

As Sora’s eyes transfix on the so-called ‘ladybug’ in his hand, her teacher begins quoting Hamlet—a book they started going over last week. The boy next to her in a breath, “, that’s an m&m, I dropped one earlier.” Sora peeks over at him, to see him pulling out a large bag of the chocolates before glancing up at her with a look that glorifies ‘’. For the rest of the class, neither of them have the heart to say anything, and instead watch as their literature teacher tries not to cry through the rest of class.

After class, Sora half-expects that boy—who’s name she’s learned to be Kihyun (or was it something else)—but he’s pulled off by a girl and shoved down the hallway by her. “Hyungwon wants to meet me in the gym after third period.” The words float through Sora’s ears as she looks up to her right, spotting her cousin standing there looking just as confused as her. He takes out his phone from his back pocket and shows it to her. Sure enough, under the contact Lord Voldemort’s Devil Spawn is him asking Hoseok to meet in the gym. Sora passes the phone back to him and begins to head down the hallway. 

She has no input for that. She’d rather not get involved with such matters involving Hyungwon. It’s a taboo subject between Hoseok and she. They compare him to a rat, something you wish to have disappear because they’re sketchy and full of germs; but, always seem to find a way back into your sanctuary. Even if it means biting through your walls. And here comes Hyungwon—a year and half later—making his way back in. Hoseok may be willing to forgive Hyungwon for what he did to him; but, Sora’s not willing to forgive him for what he did to her. Their situations are different—much different.

“I think I can trust him.” Hoseok comments as he leans up against his locker.

Sora scoffs, “There are loads of things I trust more than him,” She pops open her locker—angrily throwing her binder inside before facing Hoseok. Who’s starring at her with an eyebrow lifted upward in question. “A rattlesnake with a ‘pet me’ sign. An elevator ride with Ray Rice. Taking pills offered by Bill Cosby. A Bigfoot sighting. Gas station sushi. Emails from Nigerian Princes. OJ Simpson showing me his knife collection. And Michael Jackson’s doctor.” She grabs her yellow physics binder and slams her locker shut.

“So, are you telling me not to go, or…” 

Sora twists on the heel of her foot, to face the direction of her cousin who stands there rather confused. Her first intention is to say ‘don’t go’ because she’s afraid Hoseok would be hurt in the end. But, she can’t tell him not to go either because she can’t make his decisions for him. She can’t force him to do anything he doesn’t want to do. “Do what you want; but, don’t regret it in the end.” She bypasses him and heads for third period class—knowing full well that he’ll run after Hyungwon and do what he wants. He’s always been that type of guy, and Sora can’t stop him.

Sora tried her best not to think about what was going to take place after her class; but, that was kind of hard seeing as her mind wouldn’t stop fluctuating on whether or not Hyungwon was going to apologize to her, or how she needs to get over it. If he apologizes, he apologizes; but, it’s a little too late for him to do so. Sorrow is what fills her soul thinking about that day; it’s what filled the insides of her when she was experiencing that day.  A melancholy feeling transfixes her when she looks back at it. It’s been years—nearly two—since that time. She should be over it by now, how is she not?

Does a situation like that really cause one to subject themselves to the misery of retelling? In her head it’s like watching the whole thing over and over again. As if it’s a movie of her embarrassment and pain. The worst type of memory of them all. It’s the type that you suddenly remember late at night for no damn reason, and it haunts your mind until you finally manage to fall asleep. You feel second hand embarrassment whenever it pops into your mind. You try and plan three-hundred-million different ways on how to fix the mistakes of the past—knowing full well you can’t. 

Sora runs a hand through her hair, and down her face before taking a breath in and letting her head hit the table. Her seat partner, a random junior—Jiyoon maybe—glances in her direction in wonder—her eyes narrowing and her lips puckering together. Mind your own business, is what Sora wishes to say; but, keeps her words to herself. Class goes pretty smoothly, Sora doesn’t know half of the things that happened; but, no less, she was happy to leave. She drops her binder and pencil pouch in her locker, shutting it promptly before heading for the gym. Her next class is physical fitness, though she’s hoping she can talk to Coach Jung about her grade before class starts.

Hoseok and Hyungwon’s issues are far out of her head. She takes her time, wishing not to focus on the news to come; but, instead pay attention to her feet clobbering against the ground. She’s not quite sure what she’s expecting from the conversation with Coach Jung—hopefully a way out of her horrid A minus. When she steps inside the gym, she half-expects it to be empty; instead, she finds it filled with a good amount of people. Some she recognizes to be in a few of her classes, others she’s never seen before. In the far left hand corner of the gym stands her cousin, Hyungwon in front of him—and his sister, Jiwon, beside him. Sora wants to scoff and rip her hair out.

It seems as if Hoseok is being ganged up on by Hyungwon and Jiwon. Hyungwon is one thing; but, an added Jiwon as well is just ridiculous. Sora knows Jiwon well. They used to, sort of, be friends. When Hoseok would drag Sora over to Hyungwon’s empty house—she’d stay on the couch next to Jiwon, watching TV. They’re complete opposites, always have been; but, it never seemed to stop them from talking with one another and hanging out at school.

Sora pushes her attention elsewhere, not wanting to be involved. It’s not her place, nor does she want it to be. Her cousin can handle himself. She nods to herself, sticking her hands into the pockets of her skirt; before, heading off to the back office of the gym where Coach Jung most likely is. For a brief second, she connects her gaze with Hoseok who nods his head lightly her and then quickly flickers his attention back to Hyungwon. She could see his frustration from a mile away. Is Hyungwon even apologizing? If he isn’t, what’s the point of the conversation? 

Sora pauses by the entry to the back exit—the one that leads to the hallway to Coach Jung’s back office—she glances over her shoulder. Watching as her cousin rakes a hand through his hair, a habit that shows how pissed off he is. As much as she had promised herself not to, Sora turns on her heel and begins her way toward them. Just the sight of him looking like he might turn into a mess, makes her want to throw-up. And she’s not one for meddling; but, this situation calls for it. 

Too bad it brings her a life time of horrid situations. The confetti machine that Jooheon had rigged with red dust-like-substance was on either side of Sora. She thought they were spot lights, they looked like spotlights. She ignored them when she came in, and didn’t think much of them when she passed by—just a few inches. Till, suddenly, they explode—sending her flying upward. The basketball hoop on the left side of the gym—the side she was on—was lowered for safety purposes. When not in use, the school forced Coach Jung to lower them. And the basketball hoop is the exact one she lands in. Head first, diving in like a dolphin, and ends up stuck with her skirt falling over the sides and her arms flailing out above her head. 

Sora was shocked, beyond shocked—unnerved. Stuck in a basketball hoop, she replays her worst life decisions. In example, her thoughts of meddling. It wasn’t even a bad intention—she was only going to be there for support. Nothing more. In this moment, she only feels woe, misery, and dejection. And that feeling is reinforced when the red dust disperses and everyone can see her clearly. Especially, and most importantly, her revealing granny . She’s never hated her life more than now.

 

[  P R E S E N T   D A Y  ]

 

SORA NEVER EXPECTED TO be a part of a mess as giant as the cheer squad. Last night, after thoroughly being embarrassed by Jooheon for calling her ‘granny’ after her incident, she had to confess everything to her aunt and uncle. Of course, they were upset. They didn’t ground her—they know she’s a good child. They also know that the mess she just got herself involved in, is a good way to make friends. Something they’ve always urged her to do (without pressuring her of course). But the sly smiles her aunt and uncle gave one another, was enough to make her sick to her stomach. She didn’t need ‘friends’ not when she she has Hoseok. And she doesn’t need to interact with a lot of people either, it makes her uncomfortable. Being involved with athletics just drains her in the long run, and if she doesn’t have energy, how will she keep her grades up?

“I hate this.” She mutters as she shoves her book into her locker.

Hoseok slams his own locker door shut as he stuffs his hands into his pockets. “This is all Hyungwon’s fault, I think he set us up.” The angry by scoffs, and drops his head to his chest. Sora glances at him as she shuts her own locker, twisting the lock to keep it secured. She’s not sure if she agrees with Hoseok. Sure, she’s not one to stand up for Hyungwon. But, why would he get himself (and his precious sister) in trouble as well? She hates to think this; but, maybe he did have true intentions of rekindling the friendship with Hoseok. “He wasn’t even trying to apologize, he just started to say how he thinks he and I can still be friends despite what happened. I mean, what kind of bull is that?”

“Is that why you were pissed?” Sora asks as the two begin walking down the halls to the gym. Somehow Sora convinced Hoseok that it would be a good thing if he went to the gym to receive the rest of the information for their punishment. If not, it may force him into suspension or eventually being expelled from the school as a whole. And making it through his senior year is a huge accomplishment for him. Someone that always believed could never do so. 

Hoseok sighs and shifts his arm around her shoulder, “I’m pissed about a lot of things. That brat Jiwon being one of them,” The boy huffs as they turn the corner—the gym door now at the far end. “She held onto my damn leg, forcing me to stay, instead of letting me go. She thinks she can do anything she wants without having repercussions.” Sora would probably laugh; but, she knows for a fact that Jiwon would do something as childish as that and not feel as if she’s doing anything wrong.

The two enter the gym, finding themselves greeted with the annoyed faces of twelve others. “Granny, you made it!” Jooheon shouts out—getting a prompt smack to the side by Haeyoung. Hoseok brings his cousin closer to them as they take a seat on the bleachers next to Changkyun who grins in their direction. Please disappear from the face of the earth you pig, is what Sora would say to Jooheon if not for the fact she doesn’t have the guts to do so.

Ten or so minutes of clashing conversation between friend groups, and silence from the loners was what filled the room before Principal Junghwa came walking into the room with Secretary Baek following in tow—holding a clipboard in his hand with a load of papers clipped to it. Principal Junghwa whispers a few things to her secretary before she faces all fourteen students—and Sora swears that her gaze is scarier than most. (Though still not as scary as Haeyoung glaring at her own mother.)

“I’m glad you all followed my instructions and came today,” She glances in the way of Hoseok, who smiles back at her—waving as well. If there was ever a time to be nice, now would be that time. As to why he’s always acting like a child in front of the woman, is beyond the capability of what Sora knows of her cousin. “Today is the first day of the formation of Daejeon’s very own cheer squad. On this clipboard,” Principal Junghwa points to the board in Secretary Baek’s hand—who shows it off like a prize on the Wheel of Fortune—before looking back at everyone. “is a list of information containing the rules and guidelines of what is need for the team. When you will meet. Where you will meet. What you will do. There is a set schedule of things to do on each day. Today, is day one: you’ll assign team positions. The captain position is something you can’t just give to anyone; the captain is your coach. Coach Jung will be in his office at all times, you got to him in case of emergencies.” 

Haeyoung, who sits only four seats over, rises to her feet—a frustrated look on her face. “You’re forcing us onto a team and you’re not even going to hire a coach for us? You can afford to hire a professional chef, and construct five dorm buildings; but, you can’t spare money to hire an actual coach for us?” For the first time ever, Sora actually agrees with what the freshman is saying. Actually, everyone seems to agree with her. It just doesn’t make sense not to hire an actual coach—a professional that knows what they’re doing. Unlike them, who know absolutely nothing about cheerleading except for the stereotypes everyone thinks of when it comes to the sport. Is it even a sport? Sora doesn’t think so—it’s just a way of objectifying women by forcing them to wear pieces of revealing clothing and cheer for a team of men who only look at their body. Can someone say gross?

Principal Junghwa takes the clipboard from Secretary Baek and throws it to the floor, it spirals to a stop in front of Jiyoon’s feet—who promptly picks it up and begins going through the papers like an official. “I have no need to waste money on you,” She straightens her body, looking as if she’s about to leave; but, says a few words before doing so. “Understand one thing, if you embarrass this school or tarnish the reputation I’ve finally made, then you’ll all be receiving a harsher punishment than what’s been set. We will not acknowledge you as part of our school if you do so. Be professionals, and you’ll start to receive the respect you deserve. I may even set aside money for the things you may need.” Principal Junghwa begins to make her way to the door; but, stops once again and faces them all. “For now, you’re bottom feeders. No money, no supplies, no help. Just you, and that’s it. Your first event is in two weeks, the school’s homecoming basketball game. Be prepared.” With that, Principal Junghwa leaves—Secretary Baek following closely behind.

There’s a stark silent, and Sora almost expects everyone to begin to leave. Except, Jiyoon decided to take the initiative to be a sort of commander, for the team.  After going through the pages, she now knows of what positions there are for the team and how to hand them out to everyone. “Okay, basically there are four basic positions if divided equally there will be three flyers, six bases, three backspots, and two tumblers. And then, down at the bottom she’s written in that there are co-captains that we can elect, either now or over time.”

“I’ll be captain!” Haeyoung shoots to her feet, her hand risen.

A loud laugh forces everyone to glance toward the back. Jiwon sits there, leaning against the bleacher seat beside her and physically laughing her off. “You? Captain? Please! You’re insane if you actually think anybody would want you as our captain. You’re not even leader like.” Haeyoung scowls at the female, who glares right back before Jiyoon steps in to calm them down.

“That’s enough, like I said, the captain positions will be filled out over time. Let’s just get through basic positions,” Jiyoon huffs as she glances through the position descriptions and applying them to everyone in the room. “For flyers, I’m thinking Haeyoung, Jiwon, and Sora.” Sora’s head snaps up as she looks around, her a flyer? She’s not that uneducated to the roles of cheerleading—she may have looked it up last night to be prepared for what today was going to bring. A flyer is the person that gets thrown into the area. Into the air! The air! Up high! And Sora doesn’t do to well with heights. But, it’s not like she can fit the other positions beside tumbler; because, she’s too short, and doesn’t have the upper arm strength.

Haeyoung and Jiwon, on the other hand, quickly agree—Sora nodding her head after a minute or two. “For back spots and bases, it’s said to assign them as teams. Two bases and one backspot for each flyer. Haeyoung, I’ll pair you up with Kihyun and Minhyuk as your bases and Hyeryung as your back spot.” Kihyun and Hyeryung high five one another—or more like Hyeryung forces Kihyun to high five her—while Minhyuk merely nods his head and shoves his earplugs in, now knowing he doesn’t have to listen. Jooheon seems to be flaming at the fact that he didn’t get paired with his best friend, and Haeyoung doesn’t seem too happy at the fact she’s paired with somebody who hates her best friend’s guts and might just hate her. Good going Jiyoon.

Jiyoon flips the page of the clipboard and glances over the text on the paper. “Jiwon, you’ll pair up with Hoseok and Jaena as your bases and Changkyun as your backspot.” Sora can feel Hoseok’s body droop in sadness just at the thought of being paired with Jiwon. She's sure it’s the last thing he wants. Changkyun, on the other hand, nudges Jaena in the thigh with his leg—and when she looks at him, he grins at her. Hesitantly, the female smiles back at him, which earns her a pat on the head.

“Sora, your basess will be Hyunwoo and Jaemi, and Jooheon as your back spot.” Jooheon glances in the direction of Jaemi—who sits on the other side of his best friend—and lightly huffs. She’s probably the last person he wants to work with. Jaemi doesn’t seem to mind, seeing as her immediate attention is flickered over at Hyunwoo who’s paying attention to Jiyoon. Jiyoon looks back-up at everyone, letting the clipboard hang in her hands by her legs. “One team will be the main center, while the other two will be on the outer parts—each tumbler (me and Hyungwon) will be paired with the outer teams. Based on previous experience, Haeyoung’s team should be in the middle. I’ll pair up with Sora’s team and Hyungwon can pair up with Jiwon’s team. Sound good?”

Everyone but Hyeryung keeps quiet (she shouts out 'yes ma'am') and Jiyoon smiles gratefully at the female before looking back over the sheets of paper. Once done, she looks back-up at everyone and smiles lightly. “That’s it for today, we can leave.” And so everyone does, with Hoseok dragging Sora out immediately. Not wanting to have another conversation with Hyungwon and Jiwon—as the siblings would most definitely force their way into talking with him and Sora.

“Is she blind? Why the hell would Jiyoon pair me up with Jiwon and Hyungwon? It’s like I’m ing cursed or something.” Hoseok whines—obviously angry—as he continues to drag Sora with him. Not that she mines—she wants to be as far away as possible from Hyungwon and Jiwon as much as he does. As much as she doesn’t believe in curses, it just has to be something like that. There’s no way it’s just as coincidence that both of them get into this vortex of trash and craziness.

“Hoseok! Sora! Wait!” The cousins glance over their shoulders, finding Hyungwon hurrying down the hallway after them. Hoseok tightens his grip on Sora’s hand, and makes a run for it. Sadly, Sora isn’t the best at running—again, it’s the reason she isn’t doing well in fitness class—and trips over her own feet. Forcing Hoseok to let go of her, and run down the halls by himself—allowing for Hyungwon to catch up to the barely breathing girl. Man, she at running. The minute Hyungwon reaches her, he goes to grab for her arm—a precaution to keep her in place—but she dodges him and begins walking again. “Hey, don’t walk away, I just want to talk!”

Sora scoffs and crosses her arms over her chest, leave me alone you jerk! He manages to speed himself up to keep in step with her, “You won’t let me just speak to you? Not once? You’re going to be exactly like Hoseok?” Once more Hyungwon goes to grab for her arm; but, she blocks him by pushing him away and coming to a stop. He actually believes she’s allowing him to talk; but, that’s not what’s happening. “Thank you—”

“Get the hell away from me!” She states—glaring daggers directly at him. 

Hyungwon nearly shuts down at the look on her face. She’s never looked at him like that. As if she believes he’s the scum of the earth. “I, I just wanted to talk.” He mutters, trying to reach out for her again. She blocks him once more and shakes her head profoundly.

“I don’t want to talk to you, just leave me alone!” With that said, she bypasses him and heads out. Leaving him standing there watching after her. Hidden behind a corner watching the whole ordeal, is his sister. Jiwon is usually the person who steps in to help her brother—or really anyone who needs it—yet, that expression of hurt and the underlying tone of anger in Sora’s tone was enough to make her stay away. She wasn’t there for what happened between Sora and Hyungwon, and her brother still hasn’t told her about what he did to her or what she did to him. Or just what happened in general. And now, her main mission (beside getting Hoseok to be friends with Hyungwon again) is to figure out what exactly went down between Sora and her brother.

[ authors note ]  So obviously, the team positions were extremely hard to assign. I mostly did what everyone picked; but, for Jiyoon I put her as a tumbler instead of backspot. I understand if you think I shouldn't have done that. And if you want me to switch it, I'll do so quickly. Other than that, I hope I did right by everyone! Please look forward to the next chapter, like this one, it will focus on one of the girls and her point of view of the gym explosion and what happened that day; before, transitioning to the present. ^^