[ chapter one ]

[ cheering you on ] → story started
cheering
you on !
halifornia
chapter one
 
tumblr_static_5ouzs6zid2g48s08wogckcg0s.
[ episode one ]
 

HAEYOUNG FELT HER BODY fly the minute she took two steps into the gym. She could see Jooheon’s grinning face, and Minhyuk’s blonde hair—then, she was out. She’s not quite sure how long she was out for; but, when she comes to, she can feel her body aching—and only sees a mass cloud of red in front of her. She hears coughing, and yelling—even people talking, scream-talking mainly. She can’t make out who the voices are, she can’t even see. She wants to get up; but, she’s afraid. Where’s Jooheon? The question rolls through her brain. Is he okay? She manages to crawl into a sitting position, wrapping her arms around her legs, as she tries to will the pain away from her back. It’s hard to spot her red headed best friend in a misty fog of red itself. “Jooheon?” She calls out in a soft voice, coughing and in breathes of air after doing so. She feels as if she can’t breathe. in more and more breaths she inches a bit further, by pushing her feet out and pulling her body in. It seemed to take a lot of energy to do just that—so she just keeps herself sat there. Nearly to tears. She slides her head on top of her knees and bucks her face between them. Maybe if she waits, Jooheon will find her. She just has to wait. 

Haeyoung jolts backward in shock when she feels a hand come down on her arm. “Haeyoung stop, it’s just me.” Her first immediate reaction to Minhyuk’s voice is a steady breath of relief, before she’s throwing her arms around his neck—hugging him, and nearly knocking him to the ground. Thankfully, he’s able to steady his body, with her added weight. “Are you okay?” He asks, sliding a hand down her hair as he tries to angle his face to get a good look at her. Haeyoung has her face pushed into his neck, so he’s unable to do so. “Are you hurt anywhere?” He doesn’t need an answer because when he pulls his hand back from her head, he catches the sight of the crimson color of blood. In that moment, he truly wants to cuss; but, doesn’t in fear that it might scare her.

“Where’s Jooheon?” She gets the guts to ask.

Minhyuk scoffs and would roll his eyes if he wasn’t completely pissed, “Why does it matter? He’s probably cheering about this, another accomplishment to put on his list of idiocies.” Haeyoung, after hearing Minhyuk’s cynical views, peels herself off of him and shifts herself backward. Minhyuk on the other hand sighs and tries to reach out for her but she dodges him. He’s never understood why she cares for him so much. Not when he’s such a giant idiot. “Haeyoung what are you going to do? Crawl around the gym until you find him?” He scoffs again and folds his arms over his chest as he stands up from his squatting position. “If he cared, wouldn’t he be here?” 

The tears that Haeyoung had willed away earlier, are now coming back at full speed. What Minhyuk is saying is senseless, Jooheon does care about her. Of course he cares about her. “Shut-up.” She murmurs with a shake of her head. How could he say something like that? Jooheon’s her family, he does care. “Go away, I don’t want to talk to you. Just, just go.”

“Stop, just let me help you.” Minhyuk goes to approach her—when a pair of arms wrap around her before he can. A pair of arms connected to a scowling red head.

Haeyoung instantly relaxes as she’s pulled into Jooheon’s comforting arms. “Why do you have to say like that?” The red head manages to shift his arm around to be cradling the girls head—but still facing the blonde, whom he’s ridiculously mad at. Minhyuk frowns and points to the back of Haeyoung’s head, silently. Jooheon glances down at it, and pulls his hand back—revealing a small amount of blood. His eyes widen as he glances back at his cousin. ‘We need to get her to the nurse.’ He mouths, Minhyuk agrees with a nod. Jooheon looks back down at his best friend and grimaces—man does he feel guilty. Extremely guilty. The last thing he wanted was to get anyone hurt; especially Haeyoung. 

When Jooheon manages to stand himself up, with Haeyoung slightly leaning on him and Minhyuk—the principal takes her chance to walk in. Looking less than pleased at the red dust covering much of the gym. Her eyes glance between every single person, all fourteen of them. “All of you,” She mutters as her hands find their way to sit on her waist. “My office,” Her voice grows in volume just as a disapproving look manifests itself into a glare the size of China. “Now!” 

Haeyoung jolts right awake at the sound of Principal Junghwa’s scream, and finds herself walking backwards into Minhyuk’s chest.  Her eyes snap up to look at him, and he looks back down at her—she swears that she sees just a tinge of worry behind his gaze. Sadly, she’s far to messed up to believe that that’s true. “You take good care of her, I’ll deal with the principal.” Jooheon passes off Haeyoung to Minhyuk—the blondes hands coming around to brace her shoulders as the red head goes running off to follow after an angry Junghwa. 

The blonde scoffs at the younger boy. Why would he run after her? He’ll probably only cause more problems. Which is the last thing any of them need. “Come on.” Minhyuk shifts Haeyoung around to where he has an arm wrapped around her waist and his hand holding her right one. With a firm grip, he manages to get Haeyoung all the way to the nurse’s office—ignoring the glares from the other kids that were in the gym. He gently sets her done in one of the mahogany chairs to the left of the operation room, and takes a step back—glancing away from her and around the small room. The nurse is nowhere to be found. He looks back at Haeyoung, and sighs. “Hey, stay here, alright? Don’t move.” He comments as he goes to search further into the nurse’s office.

Haeyoung asks, “Where would I go?”

At some point, Minhyuk finds the nurse, who fixes up Haeyoung’s small cut near the left of the back side of her head. No stiches need, just a little clean-up is all. Though, the nurse recommends her to get a check-up in case she has a concussion of sorts. Which left her to be a tad bit angered, as it’s the last thing she needs on top of all the other things in her life. She’s angry with Jooheon, how could he do something like this? She knows he enjoys being the center of attention, she’s known that since the start of their friendship; but, this went a bit (more like a lot) too far. 

“You’re heads okay, right?” Haeyoung glances over her right shoulder to find Minhyuk—his eyes casted toward the ground and hands in the pocket of his khaki slacks. He glances up at her, and their eyes meet for a mere minute. She wishes he’d look at her more often; but, he tends to usually keep his eyes in the distance or on the ground. She’s forgotten how gold his hazel eyes are, compared to most.

She looks away first, facing back to the front and shifting her hands to grip the bottom of her shirt. “It’s fine.” She states, trying to will the awkwardness to leave—sadly it doesn’t. He continues to walk a few feet behind her, and she can feel his eyes pinned on her. Burning a hole into the back of her head. Probably at her wounded spot where her hair is slightly placed to the side so that it breathes. Her mind is in overdrive; why does this feel so freaking awkward? She’s known him her whole entire life and she can’t stand the fact that they can’t even walk next to each other or even have a simple conversation.

By the time they reach the admissions office, she finds herself increasingly feeling fatuous in this situation. Fatuous because, it’s only Minhyuk—it’s not like he’s some absurd guy. She may have a crush on him; but, she should be able to at least converse with him. Haeyoung turns on her heel to face Minhyuk, who stumbles into a stop at her sudden whip around. The whole time wondering if she got whiplash and vertigo from that. “W-we should hang out…more.” She stupidly stutters, her eyes casted toward her hands in which are tugging at her now tainted red undershirt.

“No, we shouldn’t.” Minhyuk asserts, a sound of solemnity in his voice; but, no sound of remorse. Haeyoung, on the other hand, feels as though her heart (which was once pounding in her chest) fell to the depths of her stomach. There is no way, shape, or form that it’s going to make it back to its rightful place. How many times do her feelings have to be stomped on before she understands that Minhyuk doesn’t see her in any way that is remotely close to romance? He doesn’t even see her as a friend or an acquaintance

He bypasses her, and flings the admissions office door open, taking rapid steps in and avoiding her at all cost. Haeyoung wanted to follow after him, to convince him to hang-out with her and Jooheon; but, he disappears out of her sight and she’s suddenly listening to the ranting of red tainted students. Ranting about her best friend getting them into ‘this mess’. It’s haywire. Some people are sitting or standing quietly—most are glaring and yelling. There’s a common sign that no one’s happy. So, she approaches the only person she thinks is nice enough to answer a question of hers (seeing as though her best friend isn’t present in the crowd of people).

“Hyunwoo?” She calls, tugging on his shirt sleeve to grab his attention. 

The well-built senior glances in her direction, and smiles lightly. The two had interacted before—his father, and her father, work together often and the two meet at some gala’s every once in a while. He was always extremely sweet, and kind-hearted. She knows he carries burdens—especially with his father (that Haeyoung can understand)—and yet he’s always kind-hearted. There were times that her mother and her would have conversations, and her mother would say how she adores Hyunwoo and wishes for her daughter to date him. Or at the very least, befriend him. Sadly, Haeyoung never found Hyunwoo to be anything but her senior. Nothing more, nothing less. She actually envies him, just a bit. It seems so easy for him to put a smile on his face; when, for her, it takes something big to do so. 

“What’s going on?” She asks tentatively, ignoring some glares sent her way.

He grimaces and leans down so that she’ll be able to hear, “Jooheon’s somehow twisted the blame around. Principal Junghwa thinks we’re all in on it.” Haeyoung with holds her gasp as she hardens her gaze. Before she can get a better grasp on the situation, a hand grabs a hold of her wrist—and twists her forward, to face the person. A glaring, and maddened best friend of Hyunwoo, stands there—gripping Haeyoung’s wrist tightly. She tries to coil out of it; but, the older female holds tightly onto her.

“Tell me it isn’t true. Tell me that I, Kang Jiyoon, did not just get in trouble,” The frustrated brunette groans. Haeyoung fully expects the older one to stomp her foot like a child; but, she keeps her composure. Dropping Haeyoung’s wrist to place one hand on her own waist and the other slipping through locks of her hair. She breathes through her nose before sighing lightly while closing her eyes. This just isn’t her. Sure, she’s a bit of an OCD freak that likes to keep all of her ducks in a row; but, when they fall out of a line she doesn’t go beating people up about it. Besides, she’s practically a pacifist. “This is ridiculous, I’m getting mad at a freshman,” Jiyoon’s eyes flicker open as she looks back at Haeyoung. Somewhat of an apologetic look running through her veins. As much as she believes that Haeyoung should take responsibility for Jooheon—especially because of how much he messes up—this isn’t her fault. “Sorry, j-just go sit down and wait for further details of our punishment.” Haeyoung’s eyebrow lifts in question as she looks between Jiyoon and Hyunwoo. Hyunwoo merely shrugs his shoulders leaving Haeyoung to bow her head at her seniors; before, leaving to one of the varied seats in the background. Before reaching there, she accidentally bumps shoulders with another dark haired girl. Instead of apologizing, the young dancer sends the other girl the nastiest of looks—forcing the other to bow her head to avoid the deadly gaze.

The poor girl stays that way until she sees Haeyoung’s feet shuffle away. A sigh of relief leaves . If anyone scares the crap out of her, it’s Haeyoung. “Jae noona, are you okay?” The quiet girl glances up and to her left, to see a curiously concerned Changkyun standing there next to her. Ever so lightly, she nods her head—just as a smile registers on her face. He smiles back at her, and guides her over to a seat near the back wall. The two of them sit down side-by-side. Their legs briefly touching. “She’s usually rude, don’t be bothered by it too much…yeah.” He mumbles with a nod—Jaena nods her head in agreement.

“I’m sure.” She agrees—the wheels in her brain beginning to crank. There’s definitely a story here, and as the head writer for the Daejeon Star—it’s her duty to find it. Maybe there’s something extra for her gossip website, Daejeon Prep Files. For the newspaper, it’s obviously the blow-up at school: and whatever punishment the fourteen students are forced to receive; if Jaena knows anything, it’s that it’s going to be bad. As for the gossip, well, seeing as she’s got a huge group of interesting people that she’ll be spending lots of time with—a story is bound to pop up. 

Changkyun reaches over and taps the female’s arm, “Are you listening, noona?"She blinks rapidly, as she shyly shakes her head—blushing lightly when she finds herself starring at him for a beat longer than needed. He’s just too good looking, my gosh.

“Sorry, I was thinking.” The younger boy’s face falls just a bit as he shakes his head and say’s it’s okay. It makes her feel immensely bad—why was she cursed with such a calculating brain. Always thinking, instead of being in the moment. She lightly grips a hold of his arm and smiles at him, “Tell me what you were talking about.”

“I was saying how this is kind of cool, you know?” He gestures around the room to all the different people, and shrugs his shoulders. “All these people—we’re now stuck together for whatever reprimand it may be. We’re probably forced to take lots of detentions or something. It’s cool.” Jaena laughs a little, just a small laugh joined with an effortless smile. He’s just so cute, in her opinion—in most people’s opinion actually.

She pats the top of his head with a smile, “Perhaps.” Jaena expects that the two are going to be sitting there alone for quite some time (not that she minds, she truly enjoys his company, or maybe it’s because she’s crushing hard on him) but, before she knows it—the younger boy is being pulled off by another female. She feels a pang of jealously when she sees the boyish brunette cling to the boy’s arm tightly. Her head sitting on Changkyun’s shoulder with a look in her eyes that Changkyun obviously can’t disagree with. 

“Sit with me Changkyungie!” Jiwon shakes her whole body with a pout as she pulls Changkyun to the opposite side of the admissions office. Away from Jaena who watches them the whole time. She forces him to sit next to her—her brother sitting on the other side of her, not paying attention. After a second of holding Changkyun for too long, she lets go and leans back before placing her head on her brother’s shoulder. A quaint sigh leaves . This kid owes her for what she’s just done. Jiwon isn’t one for giving and not receiving—she likes to receive. “I totally saved you, you know?” She states, still starring at the shy boy—whom glances up at her with a rather confused look.

“I’m not sure if I understand.” He states to which she huffs.

“You’ve been here for like a week Changkyun, you should know by now that Jung Jaena,” Jiwon pauses to flick her finger over to the quiet brunette headed girl who looks awfully lonely and a bit awkward sitting in that chair in the far corner. Jiwon’s lip curls in slight disgust—she shakes her head, and refocuses on the conversation at hand. “She runs that gossip website online, all about the students in the school—it’s some Gossip Girl like . And some of it is rather hideous,” Jiwon pauses to search widely around the room—hoping no one listens as she leans a smidge closer to Changkyun. People are prone to gossiping, and the kids here in this room are no exception. “One time a girl got totally trashed and slept with some college student, Jaena found out and spread the rumor that she was pregnant.”

Changkyun’s eyes widen. Jaena did that? No, that can’t be. Someone manipulative and conniving would do that. Not sweet Jaena. He’s helped her out since day one of school—how is that possible? “W-was she really…you know?” Changkyun’s face redden at the prospect as his voice dies out. s and pregnancy’s? That’s a foreign subject to him. He just recently started using the ‘s-word’ () without feeling like his heart would fall out of his chest and his mom would whoop his for saying something so disgusting. (Although, to be honest, he still feels really bad.)

Jiwon rolls her eyes, “Of course she was; but, that’s beside the point. Everyone found out and she was wholly bullied for being a that she left school. I’m warning you because I consider you a friend—stay away from her, she’s dangerous, and you’re too kind to be a friend with that, well, nosy .” The girl shrugs her shoulders as she leans back away from a now worried Changkyun, to once more lean her head on her brother’s shoulder.

Her brother on the other hand, has eyes focused on one thing: Hoseok. All Hyungwon wanted to do was rekindle their friendship—and yet it was tarnished the minute the two stepped into the gym. And it’s not like Jiwon was helping; by watching from a distance and starring holes into the back of his head while shifting to watch Hoseok passively. Now, now Hoseok won’t even look at him. Like, damn. Hyungwon knows Hoseok well and because of that he knows that Hoseok is most likely blaming him for this. Though, that’s not what makes his heart nearly stop—it’s the person who’s sitting next to him. Covered in red, and probably hates him just as much. His luck is entirely not on his side.

The blonde headed boy huffs and runs his hands angrily through his hair. “Damnit, Jooheon!” He murmurs as he smacks a hand against his head. It’s that sophomore Jooheon who’s at fault—except, in the eyes of those two, they probably think he is. His sister pats the top of his head, and smiles at him—though he continues to frown. The last thing he needs is miss popular bugging him and trying to “help” him, when she truly isn’t. That’s the problem with his sister—she’s too much to handle. Apparently, she hasn’t realized that yet. He’s hoping at some point she will—so that in these times, she’ll leave him alone like he wants to be.

“You know, besides the fact that I’m covered in,” Jiwon glances down to her school uniform—her eyebrows clashing in confusion. What the hell is this stuff she’s covered in? “Covered in red…stuff…I think Jooheon’s prank was pretty dope.” Hyungwon rolls his eyes in animosity as he shifts his sisters head off of his shoulder, gets up, and leaves to the other side of the room—his annoyance is beyond the average right now. He needs his distance for a moment—not that his sister notices. 

The dark haired blonde boy ends up taking a seat a chair away from where Haeyoung is sat being latched onto by a young auburn haired girl. He watches them out of the corner of his eye. He had seen Haeyoung around campus quite often. It’s hard not to spot her. While he brings hordes of people near him, Haeyoung’s the one who deters them away. They’re like complete opposites when it comes to societies (Daejeon’s students) views of them. The other girl, the one who has a tight hold on Haeyoung’s arm, and head who’s leaning on her shoulder—he has known for quite some time. She and Hoseok are neighbors—friends, sort of. Hyungwon had met her a few times; but, they were just acquaintances. After he stopped his friendship with Hoseok, he never saw her again. Of course, she was a good amount younger than them, and just started attending Daejeon—still, he never saw her, and it’s probably good thing. She’d probably treat him the same as Hoseok does.

“I don’t understand why is everyone so mean to you.” The young girl cries as she shakes Haeyoung’s arm side to side—poor Haeyoung who is barely holding onto her sanity. “I mean—what did you ever do to them? Smile the wrong way? Look too beautiful?” The girl scoffs, though continues to pout as she clings even tighter to Haeyoung. Although the girl hasn’t known Haeyoung for long, she feels as if Haeyoung is a good friend—which means she can cling to her arm as much as she wants. Its what friends do, right? Or, maybe that’s just her perception of friendship.

Haeyoung somehow shifts out of the girl’s grip, “Jaemi, it’s not that big of a deal.”

“It is too!” Jaemi cries as she pouts—her bottom lip sticking out and her eyes drooping. Haeyoung merely rolls her eyes as she shakes her head and folds her hands on her lap. All she wants, is to find Jooheon, and smack him across the face. And yet, he hasn’t show up. Neither has Minhyuk—the two of them have disappeared. “Were you speaking to Hyunwoo earlier?” The quiet voice catches Haeyoung’s attention. She’s pretty sure it’s the quietest she’s ever heard Jaemi before. The girl is usually a chatterbox while Haeyoung sits by herself.

The dancer tilts her head to the side to catch the other girl’s gaze, “Why?”

“Just wondering?” The girl squeaks, as she side-glances the handsome senior that’s wafting in the corner next to Jiyoon. Jiyoon who is ranting to him in a mild-mannered fashion. Jaemi would sigh blissfully if not for the fact she’s in front of Haeyoung who’s starring at her like she’s a rat about to be eaten. Hyunwoo is just too handsome for his own good and sweet as well.

Haeyoung—after a brief second of glancing over Jaemi, noticing the girl looking over her shoulder to stare at someone (which plausibly is Hyunwoo)—huffs with a nod. “Yes, I spoke to him.” Jaemi swipes her tongue along her bottom lip as she tilts her head similarly as Haeyoung. As far as Jaemi knows, those two aren’t friends. She hasn’t even seen them interact. Which is why it was odd when she caught the pair standing in the middle of the room—him leaning down towards her to speak. He even looked quite worried when Jiyoon grabbed her wrist a tad too tightly. And though it probably has to do with his kind heart, it still makes Jaemi wonder if Haeyoung and Hyunwoo are a bit more than what either of them lead on. Maybe not romantic wise, or friends either; but, something.

“Spoke to him about what?” The prying girl continues.

Haeyoung’s eyebrow lifts up in question once again. Wondering why the geeky child wants to know so much about her conversation with the senior. “I asked him what was happening, and he told me. Is that a problem?” Jaemi shakes her head profoundly leaving Haeyoung to give her a knowing look. Although Haeyoung knows nothing, she knows something.

“It’s just, why didn’t you come to me?” She asks with a small smile—but stops after a second when Haeyoung doesn’t smile back. Jaemi shifts uncomfortably in her seat as she crosses her arms over her chest. “I mean; do you even know him?”

Haeyoung rolls her eyes—that something is becoming pretty clear to her now. Is it possible that Jaemi is jealous of her talk with Hyunwoo? If so, that’s a bit much. It was barely a second long. The dancer pauses to glance over her shoulder at Hyunwoo; before looking back at Jaemi and leaning back in her seat. “We have a familial relation, his mother and my mother were friends—once upon a time. And our fathers are business partners. I’ve known him half my life—so, yes, I know him.” Jaemi’s jaw would probably drop if not for the fact she was surrounded by prying eyes. Including Haeyoung. Though, something seems to catch her attention from Haeyoung’s words.

“Is your mother no longer friends with his?” She questions, to which Haeyoung chuckles.

Cynically. But a chuckle nonetheless. “That’s a bit personal—if you want to know anything that has to do with his mother; you should ask him. It’s honestly not my place to say.” Haeyoung’s eyes glance to the doorway leading to the principal’s office—finally! She rises to her feet in an instance (before Jaemi can ask her another ridiculous question) and makes her way to Jooheon. The red headed boy grins in her direction the minute he spots her coming his way; but, it’s immediately wiped off when the back of a woman’s hand swipes against his cheek. Haeyoung comes to a complete stop, gasping in shock. Haeyoung’s not sure when the woman entered; but, it sends a chill through her body.

“Misses Oh!” The principal screeches as Jooheon rubs his cheek in pain. Haeyoung’s mother looks away from the red head in disgust—instead placing her eyes on the principal who stares at her with widened eyes. “He is just a boy; physical abuse is not tolerated here.” Haeyoung’s mother rolls her eyes, as she runs her manicured fingers through her short bob styled haircut. 

“You expect me, to what? Just go along with letting him go after he ruined my daughter’s life,” Haeyoung watches as her mother’s vision clobbers over to her. Haeyoung can only straighten her body and put her head up high—she’s a dancer, always. By now, everyone’s watching the interaction between Jooheon, Haeyoung, and her mother. “So many years wasted because of a deviant. And now,” Her mother swivels to look straight at the principal with glazed eyes. “Now you’re going to punish my child despite her not being involved in this ludicrous mess. I’ve never heard of such an unethical way of dealing with a problem—just expel him!” Her mother points over toward Jooheon and Haeyoung looks over at him to see Minhyuk creeping out of the office to walk away from the situation at hand.

Principal Junghwa looks rather petrified at Haeyoung’s mother. She can’t say no to a huge benefactor. Instead of waiting for the calculating response, Haeyoung steps in. “Please stop mom, just go—you have to be at the company today, and I still have school.” Although she should sound like she’s apologetic—her voice comes out cold, and it seems to bring a chilling environment around the room. Everyone cowers—even Hoseok, who is known for being a ‘manly’ guy. But, that’s Haeyoung for you.

“Don't tell me what to do!” Her mother barks back.

Haeyoung rolls her eyes, “I’m tired, mom—and I don’t need your help. Whether good intentions, or not, just leave.” Much like how her mother did so, she elongates her arm and points to the door leading out to the main hall. Despite the woman seemingly being the person to not go against her will, Haeyoung’s mother huffs and waltzes out of the room—not before glaring directly in the way of Jooheon. Haeyoung places her view on the principal, and bows formally. “On her behalf, I apologize. I'm not even sure how she found out about this.” She murmurs the last part. (To be honest, she thinks someone's on the school staff is syping on her for her mother's behalf.)

Everything seems to transition into normalcy once more as Principal Junghwa nods her head and comes to stand in front of everyone. Haeyoung, on the other hand, walks over to Jooheon and sends him the sorriest of looks. But the red head only smiles and smacks the side of his cheek—as if to say “look, it doesn’t even hurt!” Though she knows it does, her mother's good at slapping people. It’s probably her best talent, or her only talent.

“Alright, everyone, listen up.” The principal crosses her arms over her chest as she keeps her eyes glancing from each student. “For your involvement in the gym explosion, a special punishment will be given out. As there are fourteen of you, it calls for an exclusive consequence.” That doesn’t seem to sit right with anyone, as the mood drops even further than it was. Principal Junghwa comes to stand in the middle of the room, circling around to once more stare at everyone. “Our basketball team, as you all know,” She pointedly looks at Hyunwoo who ducks his head and inserts his hands into his pockets. “Is not the greatest when it comes to the art of winning,”

“You mean they .” Jooheon flat out states—earning a few chuckles.

Principal Junghwa glances over her shoulder at him with a frown, “Yes, Mister Lee—thank you for your oh so gracious explanation of my wording.” Jooheon nods his head with a smile—his cheek pounding in pain from doing so. Nevertheless, he answers with a laughable ‘you’re welcome’ leading to Principal Junghwa huffing in annoyance. “As I was saying, our basketball team is not on the top tier as many others have been, and so—with the help of dutiful phone calls from each and every one of your homeroom teachers—I’ve come to the conclusion that the fourteen of you will be coming together to create Daejeon Prep’s first ever contentment supporter team!” 

A confusion of "what’s" circle around the room; before, one person smart enough to decipher the teacher’s words—speaks up. “A cheerleading team! You’re forcing us to create a cheerleading team?” A short girl comes to a standing position—ever not so pleased. Her words seem to circle through the brains of the others. Every single student groans in protest, some of them begin to talk over one another in response.

“Hush!” Principal Junghwa shouts in a booming voice that catches all their attentions at once. “There is no room for discussion, all of you head back to the gym, the showers are open for cleaning. Head back to class afterwards—and tomorrow after school meet in the gym for further details. If you don't show up, you’ll be punished further.” This time, her gaze swivels to glare in the way of Hoseok whom smiles at her and waves his fingers. “I mean it! Now go!” With a whip of her arm, everyone stands up and heads for the door. 

Hoseok sends one last dazzling smile at the principal—before dragging his short cousin with him out of the room. “Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Principal Junghwa has it out for me.” He states with a crisp laugh as he slides his arm around his cousin’s shoulder. 

The short girl—Sora—scoffs and shakes her head. “Unlikely.” 

“I think you mean undoubtedly.” Sora shakes her head and smacks his chest lightly with her hand—forcing out a laugh from him as he tugs her tighter to him. A bond between cousins is a lot tighter than the bond between siblings. Or at least, the bond between Sora and Hoseok is a bit more well maintained then the bond between Jiwon and Hyungwon. In the aspect that Sora doesn’t annoy the crap out of Hoseok like the way Jiwon annoys the crap out of Hyungwon. 

As Hoseok drags Sora off, the two accidentally find themselves knocking into a pair of friends—all four of them bowing their heads toward each other in apology. Once done, each set of pairs head off. “See Kihyun? They were nice, not everyone is going to be a monkey- like Jooheon.” A dark haired bob-styled girl pats her best friend’s back. Her best friend who looks uncertainly nervous at what’s going on. 

“Everyone seems like a jerk, Hye.” Kihyun drops his head to his chest with a sigh. The girl standing next to him claps him on the back—a smile never wavering from her face. “I don’t understand how you can be so optimistic in such a dreadful situation.”

Hyeryung laughs, “That’s because you’re a pessimist,” She knocks her side into his as she waves her arms around happily. “I look at the glass half full—you look at it empty. We complement each other that way, yin and yang. Except,” Hyeryung pauses as her eyebrows clash together in wonder. “Well if you’re yin that means you’re negative, dark, and feminine; and if I’m yang I’m positive, bright, and masculine,” She pauses again to look over Kihyun’s body—noticeably catching him of guard. A hardcore blush flying around his face. “Actually, now that I see things, that’s about right.” He drops his head to his chest, was that an insult?

“Thanks, I guess?” He murmurs with a sigh to which she laughs.

Before they can stop, a flash of red catches them off guard—dragging a brunette with him—and a kick to the back slams Kihyun to the ground. “What up dweeb?” Kihyun groans in pain and with the help of Hyeryung, manages to flip himself into a sitting position. “That’s sweet, your girlfriends helping you out.” Jooheon coos with a small smile. Kihyun goes to tell him to shut-up (as does Hyeryung) but, someone else beats them to it.

“Lee Jooheon, apologize right now!” Kang Jiyoon—in all her bottled up anger—shoves a finger into the red head’s chest before he can even comprehend the situation. “I cannot believe you have the audacity to involve us all.” She shakes her head—her voice rather calm despite the level of anger she has right now, and she’s rather composed as well. She may like Jooheon; but, not enough to stop her anger with getting in trouble. Jiyoon is not a troublemaker! She’s a rule follower, and only a rule follower. To have some sort of demerit like this on her list of perfection, is an audacity!

Jooheon wiggles out of her sight, with Haeyoung being forced to follow in tow. (When really the only thing she wants to do is sit down and curl into a ball to slow her brain down.) “Maybe next time, noona! I promise!” He calls out as the two head for the gym, leaving behind a mess of people who are not pleased. Each one of them swearing that Jooheon ranks high on their list of disliked people. Maybe not at the top; but, close to it. And some of them are swearing to get revenge—or something close enough to it. Especially the pushed around band member who believes Jooheon is the living spawn of satan—and there's really no one that can stop him.

[ authors note ]  Alright, so, I've finally finished the first chapter. Yay! It may not be that exciting; but, it's just the beginning anyways. The story will be more exciting as it progresses. The only thing I'm worried about while writing, is the one thing I really haven't covered yet. Which would be the girls interaction with one another. It's true that there's going to be multiple interactions with the boys and girls and I'm all there for girl power. (Truly friendship is the main idea of this story.) But, I'm not quite sure which girl would hang-out with which. 

In my head, I see a friendship forming between Hyeryung and Jiyoon. At some point a friendship between Sora and Jaena. And then a three-friendship bond between Jaemi, Haeyoung, and Jiwon. Obviously, everyone's going to end up being friends (sort-of) but these 'bonds' are who I think could become almost like 'sisters' or just 'best friends' after they see each other's problems and look past the stereotype's they've been given. If you don't agree with that, you can always comment down below who you think should be friends with who. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the beginning (almost like a prologue?) and look forward to the next chapter. Also, yes, this is probably the average length for each chapter. (I write a lot...lol). ^^

Oh, and if your character didn't show up a lot in this (ie. Sora, Hyeryung, and Jaena) please do not worry, there's going to be certain chapters where your character will be in the spotlight, and others that won't be. In the next chapter, they should have more shining moments dedicated to them. My main goal is to develop everyones character (besides the boys and Haeyoung) so over time you'll see them more and more. ]