[ chapter five ]

[ cheering you on ] → story started
cheering
you on !
halifornia
Chapter five
 
tumblr_static_5ouzs6zid2g48s08wogckcg0s.
[ episode five ]
 

EVERYONE IN THE GYM stands in a sequestered silence. There’s no movement, there’s no talking—no one even looks at one another. Just silence, and stillness. Jiwon somehow forced her way out of Hyunwoo’s grip, and became the first person to actually do something. With some of her pride knocked out of her, she flees the room after Haeyoung and Jooheon—her brother following in tow, dragging a resistant Changkyun with him. As Hyungwon has been forcing Changkyun to help him keep Jiwon in a sort-of “safe” state. Where she doesn’t mess with others, and others don’t mess with her. “Oh Haeyoung, where the hell do you think you’re going? We’re not done talking!” Haeyoung and Jooheon ignore Jiwon’s yells as the two walk at a faster pace than needed. The last thing either want to deal with is Jiwon’s rage, or whatever it is that’s going on with her.

“What’s her problem?” Haeyoung mutters as she glances over her shoulder.

Jooheon tugs at her sleeve, catching her attention. He points further down the corridor to the front entrance of the school. “Don’t worry about it, let’s just go.” She takes a deep breath, and nods her head as Jooheon reaches down to hold her hand. He tugs her, and she obeys by walking in step with him down to the entrance. The last thing he wants, is to have Haeyoung further involved with whatever mess Jiwon brings up. Despite the fact that she’s ready to battle it out no matter what. As that’s just who she is. Jooheon keeps a tight hold of Haeyoung—this way, even if she tries, there’s no way for her to do anything.

Meanwhile, Jiwon tries her best to catch up with them by running as fast as her legs will let her; but, her brother reaches her before she can do any further damage. Interlocking his arms around her waist and hoisting her upward—catching her in fright as she screams out and kicks her feet. “Hyungwon!” She yells, banging her fists on his arms and hands—even shifting her head back to smack against his own.

“Changkyun, grab her feet!” Hyungwon shouts out, too which Changkyun immediately obeys. Maneuvering around the older boy to catch the female’s flying legs. Hyungwon sighs in content as his grip on his sister is now at ease.

Jiwon continues to kick her feet though, glaring at Changkyun as well. “Let go!” She screams, kicking ten times as harder. Changkyun immediately obeys her commands like a puppy who just got kicked, and cowers to the side. Thus leaving the two siblings to battle it out one-on-one. He sneaks his way out of the room to follow after the trail that he supposes Jaena went down. “I swear to God Almighty, if you don’t let me go this instance, I’ll kill you! I don’t care if we’re biologically related or not, I need to pull that little brat’s hair out to where she’s as bald as a turkey on thanksgiving!” Jiwon fights her hardest—slamming her fist like a gorilla against her brother’s arms, stomping on his leather covered feet and pushing her head back to smack at his own—but nothing seems to work as she finally falls to a stop in his arms. Too tired to continue. “You .” She murmurs as she leans her head back against his shoulder.

“I know.” Hyungwon murmurs as he reaches one hand up to swipe some of his sister’s hair out of her face. “But you’re crazy.” Jiwon doesn’t reject as she tries to keep herself up right by relaxing herself on her brother as best as she can. Hyungwon, on the other hand, nudges her off of him to where she stumbles into the lockers. He pats down his shirt that got flustered up from her leaning on it; before, sighing and helping her up. “Why do you have to get all riled up over something so stupid?”

Jiwon pouts and slaps her brother’s chest, “It’s not stupid! She annoys me.”

“You annoy me; but, you don’t see me clawing your hair out, do you?” He states as he begins to drag her back to the gym, as practice still isn’t over. The thought of her own brother ripping her hair out and -slapping her is a bit over the top and kind of hilarious. “Don’t you listen to mom’s show? You’re supposed to breathe in-and-out while counting down from ten, that way your anger will dissipate. Or, whatever it is, annoyance?” Jiwon scoffs, their mother’s show? Why would she watch or listen to their mother’s talk-show when all she does is praise Hyungwon and never mention her? It’s a bit ridiculous to even think that she listens to it.

 

As many squad members begin to leave, Jaena finds herself parked in the writer’s room—head leaning on her knees, and eyes casted down at her closed laptop. She’s not quite sure what she should be doing, or if she should do anything at all. It’d be better for her to leave; but, the bus doesn’t come for another thirty-minutes. The last thing she wants to do is walk outside and wait—only to see Haeyoung’s glaring face, and or Jiwon. Haeyoung she’d feel bad for, and Jiwon would make her want to type up a nasty article about how much of a blabber mouth the female is. Only to regret creating it and crawl into a hole as Jiwon gets slaughtered by nasty rumors that circulate through the halls.

“Can you tell Haeyoung that I never meant to hurt her?” Jaena looks to her right to see Minhyuk nonchalantly shrug his shoulders. A while ago, he had made his ways into the room, and took his place at his desk chair, across from the couch she sits on. He didn’t say much, just sat there—silently for the most part. He looked at her for a good moment; before putting in his headphones (most likely listening to Apink) and ignoring her. She’s not sure what his intentions were for entering the newsroom in the first place; but, his presence is at least somewhat comforting to her. “I mean, I only wrote it because,” Jaena pauses as she bites her lower lip and glances away from Minhyuk. “I’m not actually sure why, it’s just—people want that, you know? If they didn’t, they wouldn’t look at it; but, they do. They do look at it! And they patronize me for writing it without realizing that they must spend hours upon hours, reading all of the articles I had posted. Phonies.” Jaena stops herself from expanding her vocabulary into the area she doesn’t want it to. Instead sliding further into the couch and placing a hand over her eyes to help herself recover from the immense guilt she’s feeling.

Minhyuk pulls out his headphones and slips them into his pocket. “Why did you start it in the first place?” That’s the last thing Jaena was expecting: Minhyuk actually speaking to her. Although he sounds like he doesn’t want to be there (especially being reinforced by his deadpanned look of a neutral expression) it’s somewhat odd as he doesn’t speak much. Not to her, not to anyone. He’s labeled a loner for a reason. The boy slides a hand through his blonde hair before he’s shifting his feet off the desk and leaning his elbows on his knees. “Look, you should’ve known, creating a site like this, would lead to harsh criticisms from social justice leaders and idiots like Jiwon. If your main goal was to spread gossip—whether anonymously or not—you should’ve known that you needed strong skin to deal with the way that people would react towards it. If this wasn’t your main goal, then you changed your site because of ignorant people. Haven’t you ever heard that you should write for yourself, not others?”

Jaena sniffles and wipes the back of her hand against the skin below her eyes. “I just wanted to write, at first it was to post good things about the students and staff here. People are so clouded about the bullying problems, everyone thinks it’s everywhere; but, it’s not. There are so many people being overshined by the drama issues in school, and now…” Jaena stops and places a hand over as tears slip down her cheek. “I’m adding to the problem.” Her voice comes out as a mere murmur, and all she can do is crater her head in her hands. How did it turn into this?

“Have you ever thought about turning it back around?” Minhyuk interjects, ignoring her cries and overall sadness. As he’s not one for throwing pity parties like Jaena is.

She shakes her head, “I can’t! They’ll ridicule me!”

“How do you know that if you never tried?” He snaps as he rises to his feet—grabbing his bag off the desk and throwing it over his shoulder. “Get your together Jaena, stop pitying yourself and figure out what the hell you’re going to do with your stupid blog. Are you going to continue creating drama (something you hate) or are you actually going to do something you’ve always wanted?” Minhyuk leaves, sparing Jaena one last scowl—as if he’s a dad glaring at his daughter who doesn’t know how to do anything.

Jaena rubs at her eyes, wishing for the toxic feeling of tears to leave, and breathing raggedly. She’s not sure what she should do. She’s not sure if Minhyuk’s words even resonate within her head. Her brain’s so fuzzy from her emotions, and feelings that she’s not even sure if she can comprehend a simple sentence. She just needs to go. Who cares if the bus doesn’t come for the next thirty or so minutes? She’ll just walk home!

Jaena grabs for her bag, wipes away her tears, and leaves the writers room. The only way to clear her head and get herself better, is if she’s somewhere she can relax and be by herself. “Noona, there you are! I’ve been looking all over for you!” Changkyun grabs at Jaena’s shoulder the minute he reaches her, turning her to face him as a smile blooms on his face. Jaena wipes away the last of her tears as she tries her best to smile back at him. “Are you okay?” He asks, as he tentatively let’s go of her shoulder and grips his hands together. “Haeyoung and Jiwon were a little rough earlier.”

“I’m fine, Changkyun. Thank you.” Jaena swivels on her heel and begins walking down the hallway—like before—thinking Changkyun would just leave. He doesn’t.

Instead he follows after and falls into step with her. “Are you sure you’re okay? How about your nose? Does it still hurt?” Jaena promptly ignores Changkyun as she keeps her head down and exits the school. How is she supposed to say anything to him? She’s not only hurt but extremely embarrassed by all that’s been revealed to everyone. Including Changkyun who she has a (huge) crush on. “Noona?” Jaena flees for the sidewalk, in front of the parking lot, and avoids Changkyun at all costs. At some point, Jaena’s not sure when, Changkyun’s looming footstep and humming of innocent remarks stops. She can finally breathe again. Her embarrassment, albeit still there, isn’t as rampant in making her blush the color of a ripened tomato. Her heart isn’t pounding in her chest like it was a minute ago, and she can finally lift her head. She’s not sure where Changkyun disappeared to; but, she’s happy he left her alone. Because sometimes, she just needs a void of silence rather than sympathy.

 

Back at the gym, everything seems to move back into action—with certain people conversing with others. Hyeryung, Kihyun, Jiyoon, and Hyunwoo stand in the middle of the gym talking about what they should do to mediate this mess. Sora left for the bathroom while Jaemi and Hoseok chill on the bleachers next to one another, watching those in the gym in front of them. “God, he’s so hot!” Jaemi murmurs—more to herself than Hoseok, as she barely realizes that her neighbor is sitting there next to her, gaping in disgust in her direction.

“Disgusting. I’m sitting right here; you know?” He voices to which she pouts. Flicking her hand in front of his face as if to say ‘shut-up’—though that only seems to make him roll his eyes in fake frustration—before she focuses all of her attention on the conversation the four friends are having.

Jiyoon runs a hand through her hair before guiding it down her face, “I don’t even know what to do about this situation, it’s obvious that Jiwon and Haeyoung have to stay separated—along with Haeyoung and Jaena. I fear that if they’re too close, another instance like this will happen.” Hyeryung nods her head in agreement as she looks sympathetically in Jiyoon’s direction. She’s not sure why; but, the female has taken the leading title of ‘arbitrator’ of the team. She was also kind of designated, as everyone seems to look toward her in help; besides, Haeyoung who does her own thing with Jooheon and sometimes Jaemi or Minhyuk.

“Maybe we should do team bonding?” Hyunwoo offers up quietly.

Hyeryung crosses her arms as her eyebrows clash together in question, “What?”

Hyunwoo nudges Jiyoon, and she nods—taking the initiative to explain it. “Team bonding, most of the sports on campus are funded to go on a two-day trip to this camping ground in the woods where they get to know one another and do trust exercises while being watched over by camp guides,” Jiyoon glances between the four of them as she seems to go into deep thought. “It actually makes sense. Most of the teams are already bonded by the time they get to the camp grounds, so it’s just a fun and random trip; but, for a team like this it could be different. More focused on the bonding rather than fun. I don’t know much about cheerleading; but, I know it has to do with teamwork. And lots of it.” There seems to be a slight pause as both Kihyun and Hyeryung think it through—sending one another side glances. Hyunwoo already seems to be in agreement with his best friend as it was his idea in the first place.

“It sounds like a good idea,” Hyeryung begins as she pats Kihyun on the shoulder—knowing full well that the last thing he wants to do is be stuck with a bunch of people he can barely stand. “But, I don’t know how you could get everyone to agree. Half the people on this team hate each other. Hoseok and Hyungwon. Haeyoung, Jiwon, and Jaena. Minhyuk…with everyone—and no one can stand Jooheon.”

Jiyoon gapes as she shakes her head, “That’s not true! I like him!” Her voice comes out high-pitched, catching the three others with her off guard. Hyunwoo seems to do a double take as he looks at his best friend in shock. Since when did she like Jooheon? As far as he knew, Jiyoon found Jooheon an annoying pest not someone to like or be friends with. Jiyoon gulps as she pulls at the bottom of her shirt and bashfully covers her blush with her hair, “I mean, I like, can stand him—he’s not that bad. There’s just…misconceptions about him, is all.” Her voice drops to a low tune as Hyunwoo tries not to laugh. When he says he’s never seen Jiyoon like this, it’s true. He’s only ever seen her flustered once, and that’s when she still had a crush on Hyungwon. The flower boy had held her hand for longer than a beat, and Jiyoon went as red as a tomato making him nearly want to cry in laughter. She’s such a dork in his opinion.

“The only way to make people go, is if it’s mandatory—meaning, Principal Junghwa gives it as an order. And that, is impossible, she doesn’t want anything to do with us.” Kihyun voices as he dips his head down to his chest. The prospect of living outside of his house for a set amount of time, would actually be kind of nice—getting way from his home life that is. But the people he’d be forced to stay with, that’s a bit much—especially Jooheon. The thought of that red headed idiot makes him want to curl into a ball and push the world away from him. It’s a blessing he’s been able to tolerate him this far. (It takes a lot effort.) Hyeryung lifts her hand up and wraps it around his arm in support. Knowing full well where his mind is going to, and that’s a place it shouldn’t be. Kihyun lightly smiles back at her; but, it doesn’t reach his eyes to which she knows. His lips may be turned up in the corner, but his eyes are cold and show no emotion other than deprecation.

Jiyoon turns her attention to Hyunwoo as a flash of a light bulb appears in her mind. “You can guilt trip her. I mean, you can say that you deserve some sort of compensation for having to give up basketball. Just imagine if your dad finds out.” Jiyoon awkwardly coughs as she realizes what she just said, and lightly grabs a hold of an apprehensive Hyunwoo’s arm. She knows Hyunwoo’s stance on his father. He loves his father, to the moon and back—especially everything that’s going on with his mother. She shouldn’t stoop to saying anything about his father, it’ll just make him sad, and that’s not something she wants. “You have to do this, Woo. If you don’t, it’s just going to cause a lot of problems between everyone.” Jiyoon lightly tugs on his arm, catching a glimpse of hurt hidden in Hyunwoo’s neutral expression. She shouldn’t have mentioned his father, as it makes him walk out—her following in tow. Leaving behind a confused Kihyun, and Hyeryung.

Jaemi huffs as she leans back against the bleacher seat behind her, “Is it possible to have a platonic relationship with the opposite —I mean, just friends, nothing more?” The relationship between Jiyoon and Hyunwoo seems to be something more. Of course she jumps to conclusions easily. At first she thought Haeyoung was actually dating Jooheon. Low and behold the pair are just really good friends. “Platonic relationships do exist...right?” She twists her view to face Hoseok, only to find him past out and sleeping idly on the bench with his head cocked to the side and drool forming at the corner of his mouth. “Yuck, you slob!” She feels the need to nudge him in the foot; but, holds off and instead tries to do the same as him. Nap. Today has been an increasingly busy today. A small nap would be nice.

Sadly, it results in her sliding between the bleachers where the feet room is. Nearly no hope for her to slip out seeing as her is stuck in place—folded like a lawn chair. She can’t even yell out for help—seeing as if she does, she’ll wake Hoseok. How does she get herself into these situations? She continuously moves her around, hoping for a good enough gap in space to move her body out; but, nothing. Absolutely nothing. She’s stuck. Probably even forever. The girl nibbles on her lower lip as tears prick the inner corners of her eyes. Don’t cry! Don’t cry! “What exactly are you doing?” Jaemi’s vision snaps up to spot Hyeryung standing there, slightly confused, and slightly worried. She had spotted the girl while talking to Kihyun, and found the situation odd. When she saw tears about to fall, she took it as a sign to help. Jaemi kicks her feet and wails her arms around in distress.

“I’m stuck!” She cries—almost sobbing.

Hyeryung with holds a laugh, as the situation is just stupid. She could’ve easily woken Hoseok and had him help her out. Or she could’ve wiggled her way to lie on her side and lift her body upward. Instead she keeps silent and tries not to cry to herself. What a silly girl. “Here.” Hyeryung offers her her hand, and Jaemi takes it an instance, clasping it tightly and digging her nails into the girl’s skin. Hyeryung places her other hand atop Jaemi’s and pulls. At the force of the lift, Jaemi crashes herself into Hyeryung, clutching her arms around the older girl’s waist; before they drop to the ground. Jaemi sprawls herself over the top of Hyeryung who cries out in pain from her head smacking the gym floor. Hoseok jolts awake at the ripening sound, and Kihyun comes flying over to the two girls side (extremely worried about Hyeryung’s head.) “Owie!” The older girl murmurs as she reaches up and rubs her head.

Jaemi pulls herself off Hyeryung and smiles gratefully at her as Kihyun etches himself closer to his best friend. “You okay?” He asks as he leans down beside her, his face wafting in front of her. Hyeryung nods, and pats his shoulder as he wraps an arm around her waist and lifts her up. She begins dusting her pants as Kihyun constantly moves his eyes around her—checking for anything that may be wrong with her. “Stop getting hurt, it scares me.” He sighs as he wraps his arm around her—once she’s done—and side hugs her. Hyeryung laughs and pats his chest lightly. Her best friend worries too much.

“You’re so cute.” She comments, to which he blushes.

As much as Hyeryung's comments about his ‘adorableness’ and how she thinks he’s ‘cute’ Kihyun will never be used to it. It makes him flustered and feel like he’s a little kid. “Why are you all so loud? Learn to ing chill.” Hoseok mutters as he comes to his feet. Jaemi scoffs, she swears that boy gets thousands of hours of sleep. She can practically hear his snores from her room, every night. He bypasses them all and leaves the gym after slamming the door as if for an after effect. Not that it bothers anyone. He glances around the empty hallway, his hands forming into fists by his side. He’s search for his missing cousin who disappeared after excusing herself to the bathroom. He has no clue where she would be, and the girl doesn’t even have a freaking cellphone. Maybe their lockers? It’s a bit far; but, he bets she’s gathering her things and leaving for home. Sadly, the minute he turns the corner, he knocks straight into Chae freaking ‘devil child’ Jiwon. “Jesus Christ, I have no luck.” He mutters as he tries to sidestep the female by walking around her.

“Yah, what’s that supposed to mean?” She shouts as she shuffles after him.

Hoseok rolls his eyes as he picks up his pace, “It means, leave me alone and stay out of my life you stupid brat.” Jiwon, obviously, doesn’t get the message as she picks up speed to follow after him. He can hear her pounding footsteps, and her ragged breath—he hopes it’s enough to make her not follow after but she just keeps coming and coming—driving him nuts like her stupid brother does. The odd thing is the fact that she doesn’t say anything. And if anyone knows anything about Jiwon, it’s the fact that she never stops talking. It’s a tell-tale time that she’s about to do something stupidly ridiculous. He comes to a stop and takes a deep breath. He might as well talk to her, if it means she won’t continue following him. The last thing he expects—mid-coaching himself—is to have her pounce on his back and wrap her arms around his neck. Nearly knocking him to the ground in surprise. Thankfully he manages to stumble around and stable himself before he flops. “God damnit, Jiwon!”

“Shush! Hyungwon will be here soon, just stay here.” She whispers—practically in his ear—as Hoseok tries his best to whack her; but, keeps falling short. Somehow Jiwon shifts her body around to easily secure her legs on the sides of his hips. Her converse digging into the sides of his khaki pants—leaving dirt marks. Hoseok is barely holding it together. He’s never been one for hurting a female—as his father always taught him to respect women. But in this moment, all he wants to do is throw her off of him and onto the ground below them. Jiwon digs her nails in the exposed skin on his shoulder blade to get a better grip. “Just stay still, you move too much.” She murmurs as she now grips the whole side of his body like a sloth. Hoseok curses out in frustration as he pries the girl off of him with his fingers digging into her own. Until, finally, he throws her over his shoulder—as gently as possible—and manages to flip her onto her feet.

After stabling herself, Jiwon twists toward him in anger, pushing her finger into his chest. “You better stay put or else!” Hoseok scoffs and shoves her finger out of his chest and face. Damn, she’s annoying. Why won’t she leave him alone? The girl never fails to bother the hell out of him. He’s showed no move in his stance on her brother. He doesn’t want to be friends anymore. He’s an , a liar, and a backstabber. On the other hand, Jiwon just wants her brother to be happy—and the only way to do so is if she can get Hoseok to understand Hyungwon’s intentions are as pure as white snow on a Christmas day. (Nearly everything her brother does is pure).

“I swear, if you don’t go away, I’ll kiss you.” Hoseok threatens, taking an intimating step toward her, with a look that promises he’s no lying. Jiwon scoffs as she holds her ground, tilting her head up toward him to show off her disbelieving look. There’s no way. No freaking way, Hoseok would touch her. If he can barely stand her; what would compel him to kiss her? Insane. He’s insane. Insane; but, not a liar. The boy smirks, looking as smug as ever. “Just remember, you caused this.” He reaches hand out toward her, letting it catch the back of her neck—his thumb brushing against her cheek and hair. Jiwon gasps as he takes a slight step toward her, and leans down. In a moment’s notice, his lips are thinly pressed against her own. Unmoving, and still as his free hand comes up to grip the other side of her face. Jiwon panics as she brings her fists up to bang on his chest as he etches his face just a tinge to capture her bottom lip within his. After keeping her in place for a second or two, Hoseok lets go—dropping his hands from her face, allowing her to strongly push him away. She stands there shocked, a hand covering her lips as she stares at him with widened eyes.

Hoseok fixes the collar of her shirt—the parts in which got a bit messy—and slides the back of his hand across his lips. When he glances in the way of Jiwon, he finds himself scoffing. The girl stands so frightened by the fact he kissed her, that he can’t help but want to roll his eyes at her. So juvenile, it’s a kiss—not a proposal. Hoseok fixes his tousled hair—fixing the pieces that had fallen loosely over his forehead.  “Leave me alone, or I’ll do it again.” Jiwon stumbles backward, her back pressing against the locker—letting him pass by and leave as she struggles to keep herself steady.

“Jerk!” Jiwon sputters as she wipes at her lips furiously. Guys like Hoseok, are the epitome of disgusting—and the type of people she would like to refrain from knowing. People probably say the same thing about her. Not that she cares. She actually feels as if maybe she should try and convince her brother that Hoseok isn’t that great of a guy—and he’s especially not the kind hearted protector he used to be. Though, something tells her that no matter what she tells her brother—he won’t listen.

Hoseok hammers his way down the halls of school, as if what just happened, didn’t. Despite being blatantly annoyed with Jiwon, his mind is on grabbing his out of his locker, and leaving. His missing cousin now out of his head—too much happened as anger retreats its previous place. Though his anger seems to grow when he turns the corner of the hallway, and finds Jiwon’s stupid brother standing there looking as if he’s scrutinizing his life choices. Too which Hoseok finds a good thing since he believes that all of Hyungwon’s life decisions are ignorant, arrogant, and repellant.

Hyungwon stands in the middle of a hallway, starring down towards the girl’s bathroom, contemplating whether or not to run inside. Just before he and his sister were about to enter the gym, Sora exited—her head down and fingers laced through the seams of her white shirt—paying no attention to them as she passed by. Hyungwon decided to follow after; ditching Jiwon to track Sora all the way to the other side of campus. Only to find her use a bathroom, despite there being one connected to the gym. Avoiding conflict is probably what she’s doing, at least that’s in his opinion. She’s been in there for a long time though—he feels as if he’s camped outside waiting for the newest movie to start. Maybe, he should just knock on the door—see if she’s in there, or not.

“What are you doing?” Hyungwon looks up and to the left side to find a messy haired Hoseok. Hands logged into his pant pockets, his face looking grim: as if he did something he didn’t want to do. Hoseok looks between the entrance to the girl’s bathroom and Hyungwon’s hand hovering on the doorknob. “What are you? A ert?” The boy mutters as he takes his hands out of his pockets and crosses them over his chest. Hyungwon shakes his head adamantly, just as the door to the bathroom pops open—dragging him inward, and making him stumble forcibly into an unsuspecting Sora. “What the?” Hoseok jogs over to the bathroom and stops right in the door frame to find his innocent cousin pressed up against the wall by Hyungwon who’s leaning way to close for anyone’s comfort. And the fact that he can only see Hyungwon’s dirty blonde hair and not his cousin’s face is scaring him.

Hyungwon wishes, that in this moment, he could disappear. How the hell did he get himself into this mess? “Get off my cousin, now!” Hoseok snaps, anger sipping through his words. Before Hyungwon can even get his bearings, Hoseok grabs him by the back of his navy school jacket and flings him off by throwing him to the floor. Sora slides off the wall, and takes a deep breath as she walks a bit forward. “What the hell is wrong with you?” Hoseok goes to kick at Hyungwon’s side—to do anything really; but, his side is wide open for a shot. Sora grabs him by his wrist, and promptly stops him. His eyes connecting with hers and one feeling seems to resonate in that look: don’t do it. He stands stiff, as she drops his wrist and turns on her heel, leaving.

Hyungwon manages to pull himself to his knees, feeling as idiotic as ever. Although Sora stopped Hoseok from hurting him, the damage is already done. He had established before that his friendship with Hoseok was buried six-feet-under; especially so when he punched the day of the incident; but, he was hoping that there was a chance. When he looks at him now, all he sees is anger and disgust. As if Hyungwon is the last person he ever wants to see. He knew before that his chances were slim, slimmer than most; but, now he thinks it’s not even that. It’s absent—his chance doesn’t exist. He ruined any chance of friendship there was to be. And that just makes him sad. He should’ve realized, long ago, that people won’t always stay by your side, no matter how caring they are. Hoseok isn’t an exception. Which meant that he—Hyungwon—left his best friend behind for a group of people that don’t even care for him.

Hoseok fixes the strap of his backpack as he glances in the direction of a crouched over Hyungwon. For a split second, he feels bad. He remembers that the kid in front of him was once his brother. Someone he’d do anything for, and someone he believed would do anything for him. It’s sad to think that that’s now dead. And although he feels the urge to help Hyungwon up, he instead leaves. Resisting every fiber in his body that tells him not to. For some reason, his heart hasn’t come to agree with his brain: that Hyungwon is someone of the past. It’s worse now that he’s stuck with him all the time. His heart just needs to get it’s together.

“Hyungwon!” Jiwon gasps as she turns the corner, her eyes sliding from her brother to the retreating figure of Hoseok. Her hands curl into fists by her sides as she contemplates helping her brother or attacking Hoseok. She chooses to take care of her brother, and attack the meanie later on. “Are you okay?” She asks as she stumbles over to him and helps him up. He bashfully nods as some of his hair falls over his forehead and frames his face. Jiwon pats her brother’s shoulder as a frown lines her lips. “I’ll get him next time, I promise! I’ll take him down.”

Hyungwon shakes his head as he drags his sister down the opposite hallway toward the gym. “No, he didn’t do anything wrong. It was me, not him. Leave him alone.” The last thing Hoseok needs, on top of everything Hyungwon has done to him, is have Jiwon clinging onto him and annoying him the way she does. Jiwon glances up at her brother, noticing his look of despair, and although she ends up nodding her head, she knows in her mind that she won’t ever leave Hoseok alone. No one can mess with her brother. No one but her, that is.

 

Sora digresses. The walk home isn’t long, it’s not long at all—maybe four miles, or more? She’s never counted or tracked it on navigation, as she doesn’t have any apps; because, she doesn’t have a phone. Technology is way too complexed when it comes to something as simple as a phone. In the old days (not that she’d know what they were like) phones were nearly transparent in people’s mind. Now a day they’re like people’s lovers of some sort. She doesn’t get it. Anyways, the walk him isn’t long; but, she can feel herself becoming increasingly bored by the minute without Hoseok here. After his near fight with Hyungwon, she couldn’t just stand there and wait for him. She was angry that she was even caught up in the slight mess. The last thing she expected when opening the bathroom door, was to be slammed into the wall by a sloppy Hyungwon. To say she was surprised is an understatement. The fact his breath was hitting her neck, and one of his hands was curled on the side of her waist—she could barely breathe after practice, but in that moment she was nearly dead. To think that he still has this sort of effect on her, made her push herself out of that situation quickly. Far, far away she needed to go.

The day had gone downhill since Jiwon crashed into Jaena, and dropped further after Jiwon and Haeyoung began fighting—physically. The day turned into absolute trash after everyone decided to do their own thing. Haeyoung leaving with Jooheon, Jiwon chasing after her with Hyungwon and Changkyun in tow. Jaena disappearing, along with a reluctant Minhyuk. Jiyoon and Hyunwoo trying to create a plan as if they’re the pack leaders of their idiotic and pathetic cheer group. Jaemi starring at Hyunwoo for no reason (that Sora can think of). Hoseok doing whatever Hoseok does while Hyeryung and Kihyun laugh with one another and look like villains plotting their evil plan with the minor help of Jiyoon and Hyunwoo. They’ve been in this group for two days. They have absolutely no clue what they’re doing or how they’re supposed to have a routine down in the next few weeks. None of them are experienced, besides Haeyoung (but she doesn’t even count as dancing is different from cheering) and half of them aren’t even athletic.

What are they doing? Why are they doing this? They need a coach, or someone who actually knows what they’re doing. Because they obviously know nothing. The way Sora thinks, they shouldn’t even be practicing stunts. They should be exercising and stretching. Getting their body’s fit and ready for the extremeness of all the stunts and positions they have to do. If not, they could end up hurting one another. Like what happened today with Jaena and Jiwon. Except, it’ll get worse over time. What if Hyunwoo and Jaemi don’t catch her in time and she lands on the mat, breaking her neck, and dying? That gives her the chills, and forces her to stop thinking about it.

Up ahead, in the near distance, is someone she recognizes straight away. She assumed Jaena had left earlier; but, she guesses the female only left a few minutes before she did (probably while Sora was stuck in the bathroom thinking things over.) It’s possible that Jaena would want to be alone after everything that happened. At least, that’s how Sora would be. Of course, she wants to be alone twenty-four-seven rather than being surrounded by a bunch of people she doesn’t care for. At the same time, Hoseok has been telling her to venture out and befriend people as he’s not going to be here next year. Jaena seems the most likely person to befriend—as she’s nice and not over the top.

After debating it for another five minutes, she jogs up to Jaena’s left side and walks silently next to her. Jaena doesn’t glance at her; but, keeps her sights on the ground in front of her. Awkwardly, Sora clears , grabbing the other girl’s attention. Jaena snaps her head up, and nearly gasps at the sight of Sora. She thought it was Changkyun, which is why she was ignoring the person walking next to her. Seeing Sora was most definitely not someone she expected to see.  “Oh, Sora?”

“Hi.” The smaller girl whispers as she waves ever so gauchely. Jaena silently nods her head in her direction as she buries her hands into the pockets of her navy jacket. Sora dips her head towards her chest as she lets out a sigh. She messed up…didn’t she? Social interaction isn’t her best ability—it’s probably her worst—she’d be facetious not to know that a situation like this could happen. Where she wants to make conversation; but, they don’t. “I’m sorry, you’d probably like being alone.”

Jaena shakes her head as she frowns. “I-I’m just embarrassed.”

“About your blog, right?” Sora asks as she glances at the other. Jaena nods her head as she slides a hand through her hair and down her face. “We all have secrets; you know? Maybe if you were more anonymous with you being the author, you wouldn’t have received the hate. I don’t know, I just don’t do stuff like that.” Sora fishes some of her hair out of her way as Jaena nods her head and shifts her bag. Of course Jaena thought about keeping her blog anonymous; but, at the same time, she didn’t want random people claiming the blog as theirs. At the time it was a stupid move—she was a dumb freshman that new nothing about the subject of ‘proof’.

For the rest of the walk, the girls stay silent by each other’s sides. The aura seems comfortable—maybe a bit rigid at some points—they don’t differentiate from one another and find themselves at the front porch of Jaena’s house. Only a block or two away from Sora’s. Jaena opens the white gate connected to her fence that leads to the front of her house. She turns on her heel and faces Sora with a semi-sloppy smile. “Thank you, for walking me home?”

Sora nods her head, stifling a laugh at how stupid that sounds. “Sure, see you tomorrow?”

“Maybe, yeah.” Jaena murmurs as the two go their separate ways.

 

Hyeryung clobbers Kihyun by wrapping her arms around his neck and bringing his head forcefully down. The boy cries out in shock as he tries to rip her off; but, fails miserably as hand can’t even reach hers to rip her off. “Hey, hey! If we go camping, we should try fishing.” She sputters with a laugh as she lets him go. Kihyun trips on his own feet as he slides his hands threw his now extremely messy hair. Hyeryung laughs as she reaches over to him and punches him in the shoulder—causing him to yelp and grip it, as if he’s in pain. “Fishing’s cool, I saw it on the internet—we could wear those hats! Bucket hats! And hang our hooks on it, you know? Like in the movies where the old man hangs the bobby-water-thing on the netting of his hat!”

Kihyun manages to slide a hand over Hyeryung mouth, catching her confused attention. He reaches up and places a finger over his lips, signaling her to shut-up. “Too much?” She asks to which he nods as he drops his hand from . The female shrugs her shoulders as the two reach their lockers. “If Jiyoon and Hyunwoo can get this whole camp-thing together, then that means we actually go camping. And I’ve never been! I’ve always wanted to try fishing too,” She glances in the way of Kihyun, finding him to be at his wits-end. Resting face to the max pointing in her direction. Hyeryung flushes in embarrassment, “And I’m done.”

“Camping isn’t all that great.” Kihyun mutters causing Hyeryung to slap his arm. Though she keeps quiet, knowing if she begins to speak she might explode talkatively again. Besides, she knows how pessimistic Kihyun can be…about everything. Especially after practice. Seeing Jooheon for three hours extra, is just pain in the mind and she knows it’s killing him. “Stupid Jooheon,” The boy sighs as he comes to a stop—halting Hyeryung as well. He glances at her and frowns. “I’ve got to go do something, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Before she can get any of her mandatory questions in—what are you doing, where are you going, can I come? Kihyun presses a kiss to the top of her head and runs off.

She frowns and solemnly tries not to pout. “Okay, sure, ditch me! I don’t care.” Hyeryung isn’t one for being left alone, specifically by her best friend. She likes having people around her, whether they talk or not. Like a little kid, Hyeryung (pouting) marches down the hallway—slamming her feet on the ground every time she takes a step, and dragging her backpack against the floor. That is, until she spots Jiyoon up ahead at her locker. She perks up immediately, “Jiyoon! Jiyoon!”

Hyeryung scurries to the girl’s side, and smiles brightly—the frowns and pouts from before now fully gone. “Are you heading home?” Jiyoon asks, too which Hyeryung nods as she points to her green backpack hanging by her side. “Cool, I’ll walk with you to the parking lot.” Hyeryung would clap in joy if it wouldn’t be entirely weird to do so. After gathering her things, Jiyoon and Hyeryung begin their walk out to Jiyoon’s car—where her chauffer waits ever so annoyed at Jiyoon taking forever. “Do you have a ride home?”

“Nope, I take the bus.” Hyeryung answers bashfully. It’s a well-known fact that her family isn’t rich and she’s on the lowly scholarship fund of about five people (including herself). While expensive Benz with old manly chauffeurs are the norm for the rich students amongst the school, Hyeryung sticks to the raggedy old bus system with two pieces of gum stuck to every blue seat. Although for most it might be disgusting, she finds comfort and solace in it.

When they reach Jiyoon’s car, she points to the backseat. “Get in, I’ll give you a ride.”

“Are you sure?” She questions with a of her head. Jiyoon only nods as she opens the car door and urges Hyeryung in. “Wow, thanks Jiyoon!” The girl cheers as she takes her backpack off and slips inside—Jiyoon following in tow. After telling the man where her home is, the two settle themselves in the backseat. It’s not the first time Hyeryung had been given a ride home. When it rains out (as it does frequently around this time) Kihyun forces her to let him give her a ride home. She usually wants to decline, as the drive home usually consists of Kihyun’s father’s secretary yelling at him from the passenger seat about everything he’s done wrong in the last twenty-four hours. It’s uncomfortable, and she can’t imagine what it’s like sitting through a car ride with that pest every day. Then to go home to his awful family. She always feels bad for him. More so than she does for herself, and that’s saying a whole lot.

Jiyoon taps Hyeryung on the shoulder, grabbing her attention. “Camp is a go—Miss Junghwa will be getting us a bus service to get us there, and has given the upmost authority to Coach Jung to supervise us. We’ll leave Friday, right after school, and be back home Sunday night. She’s emailed each of our student emails with mandatory forms and wavers to have signed for it. Along with a list of needed essentials.” Hyeryung squeals as she claps her hands together. Camp! She’s actually going to camp!

“Oh I’ll really get to fish now!” She cries out with a laugh.

Jiyoon’s eyebrows crush together, “Pardon?”

 

Hoseok finds himself standing underneath an awning, starring out at the sudden pouring rain. Jaemi stands a few inches away from him, looking a bit nervous at the sight. “I can’t walk home in this weather.” She voices—too which Hoseok agrees. If he had known about this, he would’ve grabbed an umbrella. “What do we do?” She questions as she turns her gaze toward Hoseok. He glances at her and only shrugs his shoulders as he puts his head down and walks off—acting as if the rain isn’t there. Applying her drama logic to real life, Jaemi gasps. “You’ll get a cold!”

“Oh, now what?” She murmurs as she places her hands over her cheeks and leans forward—gazing at the rain pouring down the alleyways and streets around the campus. “I can’t walk home in this.” She places her hand out, and shivers at the cold contact. A nudge at her shoulder, makes Jaemi look over her shoulder to face the person. An automatic blush retracts to her lips as she stumbles to the side at the sight of Hyunwoo.

He smiles at her and brings his hand around to show off a small, automatic, umbrella. “My dad always tells me to be prepared. I don’t need it, so you take it.” Jaemi only gapes at him as he grabs for her hand, opening it up and placing the umbrella in it. She nearly cries out in joy when he holds her hand, and has to bite down on her bottom lip to stop herself from smiling too brightly. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Jaemi.” The tall senior, with a smile on his face, jogs off into the rain to his lone car off in the distance.

“Oh my gosh,” She mutters as her hand comes up to hide . “He knows my name!” As if it’s the greatest thing to ever happen to her, Jaemi pops open the umbrella—putting it over her head—and squeals as she begins her walk home.

 

Kihyun finds Changkyun waiting alone in the back lot of their school. Just like they had promised the night before: meeting up to have their talk about revenge. Or more like Kihyun’s revenge on Jooheon with Changkyun helping because he’s too nice for his own good. Not that Kihyun sees it that way. “Chanki!” He shouts out as he jogs over to him. Changkyun frustrated huffs, again with getting his name wrong? “You came, great!”

“Can you talk fast? I have to get home soon, it’s almost dark out.” The younger whines.

Kihyun nods his head frantically as he comes to stand in front of the other. “We obviously can’t beat up Jooheon—he’s physically stronger than us—at the same time it’s hard to give someone emotional damage when they don’t have emotions. Instead, we go after his weakness.” Kihyun grins, just as Changkyun looks at him in confusion. Changkyun knows absolutely nothing about anyone, especially the so-called ‘bully’. Though he does dislike Jooheon for the way he treats Jaena. As he’s seen it firsthand. “Haeyoung! His weakness is Haeyoung, and the one way to get to her—is emotionally. Like the way Jaena wrote that article about her, she looked like she was about to cry and so did Jooheon because of it.”

“Don’t you think that’s a bit much?” Changkyun whispers, mildly discouraged. He understands going after Jooheon—as he’s the perpetrator; but, Haeyoung has done nothing wrong. Besides being friends with the jerk. “I mean; don’t you think the best way to get back at Jooheon is by having a better life than him? You know, succession while he fails. You’re really smart, while he isn’t. You could end up being his boss!”

Kihyun frowns and shakes his head, “No.”

“But—” Changkyun goes to speak again, but Kihyun stops him short.

“If you don’t want to help, don’t. This is the only possible way for me to get back at Jooheon. And it’s not just for me, it’s for all of the students he bullies, and all the students he’s wreaked havoc on.” Changkyun doesn’t agree with Kihyun’s thought process; but, the thought of getting back at Jooheon on the behalf of those that have been hurt, is probably the only reason he ends up nodding his head. Pleasing the older boy. “Good. I’ll explain the details later.” Kihyun smacks Changkyun on the back, smiles, and leaves pleased with himself. He knows, that as long as he has one person on his side, he’ll succeed in his task. It’s time for Jooheon to get what he deserves.

[ authors note ]  I realize this doesn't show the point of view of one of the girls when it comes to the incident; but, I thought it would be a good idea to expand on the ending scene of the last chapter. And then continue from the end of this chapter with one of the girl's point of view. Besides that, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and it showed more of the groups dynamic as a whole. By the way, I'd just like to boast about myself for a minute (as I feel like I'm worthy to at this moment) I've reached thirty thousand words already. (Also, this is my longest chapter yet at around 8,000 plus words.) Super proud even if it's a small goal. :)