[ teasers ]

[ cheering you on ] → story started
cheering
you on !
halifornia
All Teasers
 
tumblr_static_5ouzs6zid2g48s08wogckcg0s.
[ all teasers ]
 


[ 01 ] → HOW HAEYOUNG MET JOOHEON
 

Haeyoung remembers the day she met Jooheon clearly. That may be due to the fact that it started off rather sad, for her at least. Five-year-old Haeyoung was lonely. Her parents (specifically her father) were always busy. Though, if we’re being quite honest, they still are busy. Her mother placed her into ballet so that she’d have something to do. Something to take her mind off of her loneliness. It didn’t help though. Certain times of the year (around holidays usually) her ballet instructor would let all of the students’ parents come in and watch as all of them preformed a simple routine filled with twirls, cute little smiles, and tutu-galore. No matter how hard Haeyoung looked, she’d never find someone there for her. All of the other little girls (and boys) had their parents and siblings show up. And Haeyoung was subjected to watch as they were coddled, and cuddled, cooed to, and loved at. Haeyoung barely ever got a phone call and when she did, it was usually her parents calling to criticize her and telling her she should do better. She was blatantly jealous of all the other children, and it showed too.

That’s why, five-year-old Haeyoung—two weeks before Christmas—was crying on a bench outside of her ballet studio. She was wearing her pink leotard, and white tutu the one her mother had bought her saying that it looked ‘graceful’ on her. Her hair had slipped out of the bun atop her head, and was framing around her pale yet slimy teared face. Her fingers begun to curl into the ends of her tutu, as she cried ever so softly.

All of the students at her ballet studio had left, hand-in-hand with their parents and siblings. Even her instructor left. They all left Haeyoung. Her chauffeur was going to be late because of some event going on in downtown; which meant major traffic. Once again, Haeyoung was alone. She hated being alone (she still does). It makes her skin crawl. Five-year-old Haeyoung used to always have that feeling. It’s why she could be seen constantly clawing at her skin, causing red streaks. And that’s exactly what she was about to to do; once she removed her hands from her tutu.

Jooheon, on the other hand, was flaming mad. The six-year-old had been ditched by his seven-year-old cousin in the middle of downtown (without their parents); just so the older boy could watch some stupid TV show. They were supposed to be going to a movie that Jooheon had been waiting months to go to! He had snuck out of his house (not gaining any attention from his busy parents, or staff members) met his reluctant cousin at his treehouse and high-tailed their butts to the subway where they had made it: to the city. And then, halfway to the theater, his cousin tapped him on the shoulder, spouted some nonsense about needing to watch his favorite anime, and left for the subway. Not letting Jooheon have a chance to convince him to come with him instead.

That’s why, six-year-old chubby Jooheon, was grumbling down the streets of the freezing city of Daejeon. Looking for a stupid movie theater, to watch a stupid movie, without his stupid cousin, whom stupidly left him. It’s all just…stupid. Though, he chalks the start of his friendship up to Minhyuk (his stupid cousin) anyways. If he hadn’t left him, he would’ve never found the lonely crying ballet girl.

He stood in quiet shock when he stumbled upon Haeyoung. He had seen her before; he was sure of it. He began to tilt his body down to see if he could get a better look at her face, and he did. He snapped his fingers in awe, and stood-up-right once the image of the girl clicked in his mind. It’s that sad girl who lives down the street from him. The one who he smiled at, but didn’t smile back at him. The one whose parents ignored him when he knocked on their front door and invited the girl to go swimming at his house with him and his cousin. Sad-girl. Who would’ve thought he’d find her here?

“Hey, sad-girl.” He called, as he bumbled up to her.

Haeyoung, through her glassy eyes and tear filtered eyelashes, glanced up to see chubby auburn haired Jooheon starring straight at her. She recognized the boy instantly. He’s the one who always greets her in the morning before she gets in her limousine to leave for school. He’d always seem so nice; but, Haeyoung was always so closed off to ever say something to him. Always too scared to be nice back. Afraid that her parents would disapprove. She had heard them make mean comments about the boy before and was afraid her parents would look down at her if she dared to befriend him. 

Jooheon’s eyes lit up in happiness when he saw the girl look at him, “It really is you!” He flew at her like a bear to honey; it was so quick that the bench she was sat on, almost toppled over from the kid hugging her so tightly. “I can’t believe I found someone!” He cries, as he flips over to sit next to her. Keeping his hand stitched to hers.

Haeyoung awkwardly twisted to gaze at the older boy, immediately frowning. “I don’t know you, why did you hug me?” She bites, trying to rip her hand out of his grip; but, Jooheon keeps her hand tightly in his and leans his head on her shoulder. She jumps from shock, but stays still soon after. What is she supposed to do in this situation? Honestly, she’s never really, ever, been this close to somebody before. She’s never really hugged anyone before. It’s all so…so, so new.

“Yah,” The boy suddenly shouts, popping his head up to face her and grin. “Let’s go see a movie!” With his hand tightly holding hers, Jooheon pulls the tutu wearing Haeyoung off the bench and down the streets of Daejeon. Smiling like a Cheshire cat. As if he found his new favorite toy. “You see, I was supposed to see this awesome movie with my cousin; but, he’s too stupid to watch it with me. But, you,” He pauses to grin in Haeyoung’s apprehensive direction. “You’re awesome!” So, obviously, that was a lie. He barely even knew the girl. He doesn’t even know her name. Yet, just like Haeyoung, he was lonely and in desperate need of a friend. And this girl, this “sad girl” as he liked to call her, was there. 

They reached the movie theater twenty-minutes late. Nevertheless, Jooheon was adamant about seeing the stupid “awesome” movie. To the point that he continued to drag a widely confused Haeyoung around the theater until they found seats. (She was constantly worried that her chauffer would send out an amber alert when he couldn’t find her at the bench.) In a secluded area at the top left hand corner the two cuddled into their seats. Haeyoung had never liked sitting through movies. She easily got bored—especially with children’s movies that her parents subjected her to watch. Yet, Jooheon made it interesting. Every time an animated character came on screen (one that they equally found boring) he’d come up with stupid voices and make hilarious conversations as if he’s that character. He’d even make silly faces to go along with it. He’d make commentary as if they were watching a basketball game, and constantly tried to come up with extravagant endings for the movie. All in all, making Haeyoung giggle and smile. Like an actual kid.

She had never been that happy. Never. Jooheon, somehow in some way, brought out a happy and loving side to Haeyoung. One that she wasn’t accustom to.

The walk to the subway, and the ride home, was fun. Jooheon constantly talked about thousands of different things, keeping Haeyoung interested and laughing. For him, he enjoyed the fact that Haeyoung listened rather than talked. For some reason, his stupid cousin always has to make interjections about how ‘that’s not possible’ and ‘you’re lying’. At some point, Haeyoung got tired, and rested her head on Jooheon’s shoulder. He didn’t much care for it. He had seen that happen in some of his mother’s shows; but, it didn’t feel the same way it looked on TV. It was just, ‘meh’.

The walk from the subway, to home, was long. The two were falling over each other in an attempt to keep awake, and Jooheon was constantly singing songs so that Haeyoung wouldn’t fall asleep again. When they reached their cul-de-sac it was a bit sad. Haeyoung believed that this was a onetime thing. That the boy only talked to her so that he could have someone to attend the movie with. At first, maybe that was true; but, not now. Not when he actually, truly, likes the sad-girl. To the point that he was sad that he couldn’t talk to her for the rest of the day and instead had to go home.

She bowed to him, and began to leave for house (expecting impending doom from her staff members and an angry call from her father). Suddenly, Jooheon stopped her by tackling her once more, and bringing her into a hug. She stood there in shock. Another hug? She came to realize (right then and there) that she likes hug. And she especially likes hugging Jooheon. Which is why it was so easy for her to hug him back. 

“From this day forward, Haeyoung, we’re best friends. I’m your best friend, and your mine. Got that?” Haeyoung, a constituted happy little girl, nodded her head—might’ve blushed a little—and skipped off to her house. Jooheon watched her the whole time, and waved equally as much in happiness (even he was blushing a little). 

That was the start of their friendship.

Haeyoung swears on her life, that she has never met someone like Jooheon. He concurs that he’s never met someone like Haeyoung. And yet, they were the perfect mesh of good and bad. (And when Minhyuk tags along, he’d be the neutral.) Jooheon not only became Haeyoung’s best friend, but he became her person. Those stupid holiday events at her studio, she finally had someone in her corner cheering for her. Sometimes he’d make posters (that had too much glitter and the perfect amount of love) and hold them up while he hollered her name. They’d walk home together where he’d boast about her talent and say she’ll be the next Da Vinci without realizing that he’s a painter, not a dancer. At school he’d brag about how cool his best friend is and that everyone should be jealous of him because he gets to hang out with her every day.

Jooheon became her family. He’s constantly over at her house, eating food, watching TV, and doing literally anything to get on her nerves. He hugs her constantly (especially after he learned that she’d never really been hugged before) and coddled her like she was a baby. He could easily be found sneaking into her house to comfort her (dragging Minhyuk with him) when her parents would come home and yell at her. He brings her along on literally anything that he does, and tries to incorporate her in his life as much as possible. At school he’d probably kill someone if they dared to hurt her or threaten her.

One time a young boy made her cry (biggest mistake of his life) the next day he showed up at school with a broken nose. It didn’t take too long to figure out it was Jooheon—he had broken some of his knuckles in the process of hurting the guy. He whined like a baby for weeks and forced Haeyoung to dote on him. Blaming her for the fact that he got hurt; but, saying he’d do it again and again so that boy learns not to mess with his best friend.

Haeyoung to Jooheon, was (and always will be) the most important person in his life. His parents, sure they’re there, and Minhyuk, well, he’s stupid; but, no one will ever take the place of his best friend. Through every up and down, she’s there. Supporting him despite his indifference and lack of responsibility. When he makes a mistake, she doesn’t yell like his parents, nor does she disown him like his cousin. She may get mad; but, he knows she loves him and will always be there for him. No matter what he does, what he says, or who he hurts—he knows she’s there. Sometimes he takes it too far. He knows that, and he’s trying his hardest to stop that. He knows his pranking ways bug Haeyoung. He knows that she’s disappointed for what he’s done.

But, for Jooheon, as long as he has Haeyoung by his side: he feels like he’ll be able to accomplish anything. Even changing his attention seeking, pranking ways. Because as much as he’s her person, she’s his.



[ 02 ] → HOW HYUNGWON MET HOSEOK

 

Hyungwon was considered (by his mother) a cute child. One who had chubby cheeks to pinch and was extremely short that he looked like a penguin waddling when he was, in fact, walking. That’s why some people liked to pick on him in school. He used to think to himself, ‘If they knew who my dad was, they’d stop.’ But, Hyungwon isn’t one for throwing his dad’s reputation (or his mom’s) in people’s faces. Instead, he let the idiotic people do what they wanted while he floated through his middle school life. He didn’t have any friends (not eleven-year-old Hyungwon) nor did he much care for one. Everyone in his school was either mean, or insane.

But, Hoseok was (and still is) a good mixture of the two.

The first time Hyungwon met Hoseok, it was raining. It started around elven in the morning. He was in the middle of his language class—Japanese instead of English (just for the hell of it)—and glanced out the window for a second to see it. It was slow at first; just a few drops. Next thing he knew—in the midst of math class—it was pouring. And he forgot an umbrella. The day seemed rather gloomy, and for some reason, it made him feel that way too. Especially because he forgot his umbrella.

Hoseok, on the contrary, felt extremely delighted. Rain to him, is like sunny beach days to Hyungwon: the perfect day. When it started to pour, he was outside playing basketball for physical fitness class. Everyone was told to go inside as quick as possible, so not to get sick. Hoseok didn’t. With laughter bubbling in his system, he skipped, and ran around the black top. That is, until, he got screamed at by the coach and told to go inside.

After school, Hyungwon was waiting by the bus stop, being shielded by the overhead plastic awning as he kicked his feet in the air and sat patiently on the bench. His chauffeur was supposed to pick him up that day; but, sadly, he had a family emergency. Without telling his parents, Hyungwon told the man to attend to his own family. That they’re more important than getting a silly rich kid back to his empty home. His chauffer agreed hesitantly over the phone, and Hyungwon reassured him that he’d still be paid and promised not to tell his parents about the ordeal.

Sadly, the bus had another hour before it could reach him. So, Hyungwon left the bench.

Hoseok, on the other hand, was a twelve-year-old who decided to cause mass trouble. It just so happens, that across from their beautiful private school, is a shopping complex. And, of course, Hoseok just had to cause a little mischief to keep his mother and father on their toes. A little mischief called shop-lifting. From a lingerie store, the kid grabbed the biggest bra he could find, before he high-tailed it out of there. Sirens were blaring through the mall complex, security guards were running after him, and Hoseok: he was laughing the entire time. Knowing full well that even if they caught him, he’d be set free.

Now, you must be wondering where Hyungwon went too. Well, that’s simple. He travelled across the street to a small café where he was going to purchase a cup of coffee and wait by the window seat for his bus while he did his homework. Unfortunately, a crazy dark haired boy, tainted wet, and carrying a huge pink bra came flying at him tackling him to the graveled floor before he could make it inside. “Ah, .” The boy screamed as he pushed himself off of Hyungwon, rolled over, and got to his feet quickly. He began to check over his shoulder adamantly as Hyungwon scrambled to his feet as well. He immediately bowed to the boy he recognized to be a class above.

“I’m sorry.” He stuttered, continuing to bow.

Hoseok glanced at him once and frowned, “Dude, what the hell are you bowing for? Do I look like Jesus to you?” Hyungwon froze after he stretched himself up right. Usually, that’s not the response he got from older kids. Usually, they pestered him to keep bowing until he couldn’t see them anymore. They’d purposely stand there for a good five minutes before cackling and leaving. He peeked at Hoseok and cocked his head to the side. He was definitely an interesting sight. His uniform was messy: untucked button up, the sleeves of his navy jacket were torn off at the tops so it wasn’t long sleeved, he wore red Jordan’s instead of the black loafers, and ripped holes on the knees of his kaki skinny jeans. Hyungwon glanced over him before he spotted the bra on the floor. Quickly, he looked away and flushed a crimson red.

Hoseok, finally, caught a glimpse of the security guards: and grinned. “Come on!” He screamed, grabbing the bra, and pulling Hyungwon to follow after him. Hyungwon had no idea (still doesn’t) why he followed after Hoseok in the first place. Maybe it’s because the kid said so, or maybe it was because it looked like fun. Sure, the situation was extremely stupid. I mean, he stole a bra just because he could, it’s not like he has an actual use for it. And yet, Hyungwon felt compelled to follow after.

Running through the outdoor mall, rain dripping down on them, chubby security guards chasing after them as they dashed through crowds of people and small alleyways; it was stupid, but hilariously fun. The most fun Hyungwon had in a while. Hoseok would yell out ‘This way, this way!’ or ‘Oh , they’re gaining on us!’ even ‘Run faster dude.’ Hyungwon would obey and ran wherever he said, pushed himself to run faster when he said, and never glanced back to see if they were really gaining on them.

The two finally came to a stop when they reached a park, nearly two blocks away from the mall, their school, and the bench Hyungwon was supposed to be sitting on. They were drenched, exhausted, and Hoseok was still carrying the bra as they fell onto their backs. Greeted by the dew drop covered grass, Hoseok sighed in bliss. Best. Day. Ever. 

He twisted on his side to face a panting Hyungwon, “That was awesome!”

Hyungwon glanced at him wide-eyed as Hoseok began to crack up in laughter. By Hyungwon’s definition, that wasn’t ‘awesome’ that was ‘insane’. And yet, he couldn’t help himself by cracking a smile and watching as Hoseok cradled his stomach and practically died of laughter. After the laughter died down, the two just laid there. In the middle of the grass, in a park, covered in water, with a huge pink bra lying next to them. They stayed there for a little while, starring up at the clouds as neither one of them talked. But, after about an hour, they went their separate ways. Hyungwon headed to the nearest bus stop and Hoseok (bra stuffed into his backpack) headed in the opposite direction to his house after a small handshake and a nod at one another.

The next time the two had an interaction, it was about a month later, and it was another gloomy rainy day. Hyungwon was definitely gloomy that day. Walking the halls of his schools, drenched, after some upperclassman decided to dump a bucket of vinegar over him and steal any clothes he could possibly change into; that definitely made him gloomy. Thankfully, school had ended; but, it didn’t seem to make him any less sad.

“Oi!” Called out a voice, forcing him to look up. There, all the way down at the end of the hallway, stood that weird guy—Hoseok. His uniform seemed to be the same—except his white button up now had its sleeves ripped off. For some reason Hyungwon wondered if the guy did it himself, or someone did it for him. He also wondered why the guy never got a new uniform. “You’re that kid!” He shouts as he makes obscene gestures around his chest to signify s, and bra. Hyungwon merely stood there as Hoseok came racing up to him; stopping a few steps short of him

Hyungwon bowed respectfully. Hoseok frowned as his eyes glanced over the younger boy. “Who did this?” He grumbled, pointing to his vinegar soaked clothes. The younger boy shrugged, and Hoseok frowned deeper. Hoseok was never sure why; but, he felt like the kid needed some sort of protection. That’s why he seemed to be completely and utterly nosey. “If you tell me,” He says, leaning closer as if he has a secret to tell. Hyungwon awkwardly backed up and pulled his head backward. “I’ll beat them up for you.” Hyungwon immediately pales and shakes his head adamantly as Hoseok grins in laughter. The younger boy automatically believes that the older one is insane. 

“It’s not that big of a deal.” He said before he bowed and quickly left. Hoseok frowned after him; but, didn’t follow. Instead, he went off on a hunt: for a bunch of bullies who messed with the kid he met at the mall.

The next day at school, Hyungwon had three upperclassman apologize to him, bow towards him, and all of them had black eyes and tear cluttered eyes. And throughout the whole day, no one messed with him. Not at lunch, nor in class, not even after. Which he found odd, at least one person always messed with him. They never failed at it. They even messed with him on his birthday. At the end of the day, he was greeted by that same weird guy who was waving his hands obnoxiously and grinning. “Kid!” He screamed as he ran at him and tackled him into a hug. Hyungwon awkwardly shoved the older boy away and wiped at his perfect uniform. Hoseok then proceeded to sling his arm around Hyungwon’s shoulders and pull him down the hallway.

“My name’s Hyungwon,” He whispered calmly, “Not kid.”

The older boy grinned and nodded his head a couple of times. “Cool, I’m Hoseok.” Hyungwon glanced at the hand sitting on his shoulder, and frowned. Scrapes leaking blood were on all of Hoseok’s prominent knuckles. It finally clicked in Hyungwon’s brain. Hoseok had gone and found the people who drenched him in vinegar, and beat them up—forcing them to apologize as well. Hyungwon found that weird. Why did he do that?

“Did you, perhaps, beat-up some of your classmates?” He asked quietly.

Hoseok immediately nodded with a laugh before he suddenly became a bit serious. No longer grinning, or laughing. “Look Hyungwon, from now on, no one will bother you.” Hyungwon wanted to ask why (and that seems stupid to him now). Because, that day (technically the day they raced out of a mall together), was the start of their friendship. A friendship where Hoseok got Hyungwon in trouble a lot, and Hyungwon taught Hoseok not to get in as much trouble as he usually did. They hung out in the library where Hoseok would cause trouble with the librarian, and Hyungwon would read his manga silently while shaking his head at Hoseok who would sheepishly smile at him. When Hyungwon would be in his classes, Hoseok would creep up to the small window in the door (grabbing the other’s attention) and make silly faces so that he’d smile and laugh. Hyungwon would constantly help Hoseok with his homework so that he could at least keep an average GPA. Hoseok would beat-up anyone who dared to mess with his best friend and Hyungwon would use his intellect to insult people who called his best friend an idiot.

When Hyungwon looks back at those days, he cherishes them. He was such a quiet kid (he still is) but Hoseok managed to bring out a good, happy side. Even on gloomy rainy days. When Hoseok looks back on those days, he wishes that he never met that kid in the mall. That he didn’t go to the mall in the first place. That instead of trying to mess with his father and mother, he went home and ate dinner with them. That he cherished his moments with his father before he passed away. Maybe that way, he would’ve felt the loss of only one person, not two.

 

[ 03 ] → D–DAY SNEAK PEEK

 

Haeyoung paced the inside of the coated red gym, in front of her stands Jooheon. For some reason, Jooheon felt nervous. Whenever his best friend was mad, she was mad. She puts one-hundred-and-ten percent in everything. The only thing he doesn’t understand in this situation, is why she’s mad in the first place. Like, yeah okay, he might’ve shared the blame with everyone; but, she’s his best friend. He always shares the blame with her. Always. Ever since they were like four-years-old.

A few cuss words leave Haeyoung’s mouth as she glances between Jooheon and the ground in front of her. And even though she can feel Minhyuk’s eyes on the back of her head, she’s only focused on thinking this situation over. Usually, stuff like this doesn’t bother her. She’s dealt with Jooheon for so long, that she’s become immune to it. Sadly, this, this went too far. This is her first year of high school, and she’s already messed up. Not only will she have to hear it from her father when he finds out; but, also from her mother. Her father will criticize her because she’ll have to share her studying time with another activity. While her mother will criticize her for still being friends with Jooheon. Her mother has never liked Jooheon, and this just gives her more fuel to the flame.

“Explain to me Jooheon,” She mutters coming to a stop directly in front of him. His eyes snap up to look at her, and he can just stare at her. He’s heard frequently about how people find Haeyoung. It’s this look that she gives you, they swear. Her eyes, they judge you, her lip snarls, and her nose flares. It’s like something out of a horror story. And finally, Jooheon sees it firsthand. That look. Haeyoung’s face. “Explain to me what was going through your head when you decided to turn the gym,” She gestures around the gym, pointing at the layer of red. “Turn the gym into this.”

He gulps before he ends up shrugging his shoulders, “Stuff, I guess.”

“You guess,” She pauses to place a hand on her waist and blink a few times. “Stuff?”

Jooheon nods his head as he brushes a hand through his hair, “Look, it just came to me. I’m not quite sure why I did it, or what compelled me. I just thought—I thought this was my chance,” He pauses to shift his weight from one leg to the other. “My chance to finally be what I want to be. You know that Hae!”

“No, I obviously don’t!” She bites back as she reaches down and grabs her white backpack (now a pinkish color). She sends him a dirty look. “If I had known that, I would’ve stopped you before you could pull this-this mess. It would’ve been fine if you kept the blame to yourself; but, instead you brought in all of us with you. Don’t you see what’s wrong with that?”

Jooheon shrugs his shoulders, “Sorry?”

“Sorry? You’re sorry?” She screams, reaching over and grabbing his arm which she quickly begins to shake. “Sorry is not going to fix anything! You’ve messed up nearly everybody in this Godforsaken gym, and that’s your fault!” With her bag being hoisted on her shoulder, Haeyoung sends him one last look, before leaving the gym as quick as she can. Wanting to get the hell away from Jooheon. He may be her best friend; but, sometimes he can get on her nerves. And in those moments, she needs to walk away. Or else she might do something unforgiveable.

Jooheon glances at Minhyuk with a confused look, “What’s her problem?”

“You Jooheon, you are her problem.”

 

 

Hyungwon stands in front of the school, looking a mess. In this moment, he doesn’t live up to his flower boy persona. His hair is beyond disheveled, there’s red dust all over his face, and his clothes are crinkled and destroyed beyond repair. A similarly looking Hoseok stands in front of him, pissed. And maybe he has a right to be. At least, that’s what Hyungwon thinks. If it wasn’t for him, his ex-best friend wouldn’t have been in the gym in the first place. Obviously it’s his fault. No wonder he’s pissed.

“So, you just wanted to me up more, is that it?” He growls with a shake of his head. From the bottom of his bag he fetches out a spray-paint bottle. When he pulls it out, he frowns at it, and throws it down the parking lot. Red. It just had to be red paint. As if being coated in the stupid color wasn't enough, the minute he needed a release (being graffiti) the incident is thrown back in his face.

Hyungwon reaches over to touch Hoseok arm; but, the ladder dodges him. “I’m sorry, this isn’t what I wanted to have happen.” He replies in a soft voice as he crinkles the end of his shirt. Hoseok sends a glare towards Hyungwon as he takes a step to be further away from him. “You’ve got to believe me!” By now Hyungwon is practically begging Hoseok. Though, it’s not like he truly has anything else he can do. Hoseok will never believe him. He’s too prideful.

“Just off Hyungwon.” Hoseok spits as he gathers himself—slinging his backpack back over his shoulder—and heads off. There is no way, none at all, that he’ll believe a word out of Hyungwon’s mouth. Not after he left him. Not after he ignored him. Not after he stopped being his best friend. And if it wasn’t for this stupid cheer team, he would make sure he wouldn’t have to see the stupid boys face. Because every time he does, it not only reminds him of the past; but, it also pisses him off.

Hyungwon on the other hand, he just wants to be friends again. Which is why he follows after Hoseok—holding his bag tightly. “Can’t you just listen to me? You were willing to before. Why not now?” He asks, as he falls into step with Hoseok.

Hoseok comes to a stop, and drops his bag to the floor. There’s just something about the way that Hyungwon is acting, that’s pissing him off beyond belief. With scowling eyes, Hoseok reaches forward and slams his palms into Hyungwon’s chest. Pushing him backward. Forcing him to stumble into a dark colored Benz. “You want to know what changed?” He snarls reaching forward and catching Hyungwon by the collar of his shirt. For the first time ever, Hyungwon is actually scared of Hoseok. In his whole life of knowing Hoseok, that had never happened. He was never scared of Hoseok. Other people might’ve been scared of Hoseok; but, definitely not Hyungwon. “I grew the up, and learned that people don’t stick around when you need them.” For a minute, it actually looks like Hoseok is going to punch him. His fist is waving in front of his face, and his grip tightens on his collar. 

Finally, he lets go and pushes at Hyungwon’s chest again, forcing him to slip and crumble to the floor. “Now you need to learn the same thing.” Hoseok steps away from him, not before spitting a loogie near his hand. He grabs his bag off the floor and jogs off. Thus leaving Hyungwon sitting there. And he just sits there. Finally understanding, he hurt Hoseok bad when he left him.

 

 

Kihyun stands in front of a standing mirror in the boy’s locker room. The first thing he sees is a mask of red. The next thing he sees, underneath the red, is his face. Him. Yoo Kihyun. He’s not sure what makes him madder. The fact that he somehow got involved with that idiot Jooheon. Or that he decided to be a good person (like he usually is) and got in trouble for it. Why is he always good in the wrong situation? If he hadn’t volunteered to go inside that gum and help, he wouldn’t be in this mess. 

“Crazy stuff, hunh?” Kihyun peeks over his shoulder to find that new transfer student standing behind him—still covered in red like him. The kid smiles at him when he notices that Kihyun is paying attention. Even waves his hand a bit. “Was not expecting that.” He continues as he sits on a bench behind him. Kicking his feet up and down on the floor.

Kihyun turns to face the new kid, “What’s your name?”

“Who, me?” The new kid points to himself—sticking his finger into his chest. He continues to smile brightly. Like he’s happy that someone’s finally trying to get to know him. Kihyun nods, crossing his arms over his chest. “My names Im Changkyun, nice to meet you…” He trails off, not knowing the elders name.

Kihyun offers his hand, and Changkyun immediately grabs it and shakes it. “Yoo Kihyun.” Even though they’re coated in red paint and dust—whatever the substance Jooheon used—the conversation thrills Changkyun. Move after move, he never found it easier to make friends. He actually, sadly, fails at it. Which is why he usually tries too hard to make one. But, this seems rather easy.

“I guess we’re teammates?” Changkyun asks with a sloppy smile.

Kihyun huffs and nods his head, “Yeah, I guess so.” Changkyun obviously doesn’t know the history between Kihyun and Jooheon. If he did, he wouldn’t have sounded so happy when he called them teammates. Anyone who’s been at Daejeon Prep long enough, knows that Jooheon practically tortures Kihyun. And Kihyun being forced onto this team, is just that torture being further forced onto him.

The older boy glances down at his clothes before he ruffles his hair and grabs his bag off the floor. He pats Changkyun on the back and heads to the door with a sigh. “Catch you later, Chaekwon.” With that said, Kihyun leaves.

In a small voice the new boy whispers, “It’s Changkyun.”

 

 

Hyunwoo sits in his car which is parked in front of his house. Mansion. Whatever you want to call it. Let’s just say that it’s too big for the few people that live there. I mean, jeez, there’s a basketball court and a tennis court in the back along with an indoor and outdoor pool big enough to fit a hundred people. Yet it always seemed empty to him. The boy shuts off the engine to his car, and slides his seat back after he unbuckles himself.

He’s been thinking it over. Principal Junghwa said that he’d have to quit the basketball team to serve his punishment as part of the cheer team. Of course, he’s not excited about being on a stupid team. But, he sees it as his out. His out of the basketball team. He’d have a reason for leaving the team (one that wouldn’t strike havoc on him), and he’d have a reason for staying off of the team. The only thing is, his father would obviously want to ‘speak’ with Principal Junghwa. And by ‘speak’ I mean threaten. Threaten to redact the donation money he’s given to the school. The donation money that has already been spent.

There’s only one thing he can do that will make his father not mess with the school. It’s to tell his father that he quit the team himself. Not that he was forced to quit; and join some dumb cheer team. He’d have to deal with the backlash from his father; but, he’s used to that. He’s always been used to his father’s backlash. It’s not like it’s something new to him. His father is the type of man who blows up at anything that doesn’t go his way. And Hyunwoo quitting the basketball team is definitely going against his wishes. But, this might be one of his only chances at happiness. All his life he’s always wanted to do right by his father. To please his father’s wishes. This time, he was going to do something for himself.

Yet, he couldn’t help but feel a nagging feeling in his chest.

It’s unfamiliar; but, it feels horrible. What is it?

Guilt. Guilt for going against his father.



[ 04 ] → THE DAY AFTER

 

Jooheon is definitely not a genius. He’s known this since he was about five when he couldn’t figure out how mom could be spelled the same way backwards. Obviously, now he understands; but, let’s be honest he knows he’s not a genius. And he knows he never will be. Nor does he want to be. Which is why he can easily do stupid things and not be told he’s ‘smart’ and needs to do ‘smart’ things. Instead people tend not to have expectations for him. And that’s fine by him. Hell, he doesn’t have expectations for himself. That’s just too much work.

“I really think this is stupid.” Minhyuk mumbles as Jooheon drags him by the wrist down the gravel street of their neighborhood. A hoodie, and skinny jean cladded Minhyuk is obviously not happy to be dragged anywhere by Jooheon. He just got the red off of his body and out of his hair. Not to mention he had to dump his favorite gray stripped jacket that he stupidly wore in the gym when it blew up. Now he has to be dragged by the red head. “I really think you’re stupid.” He continues as he tries his hardest to free his wrist. But, damn, Jooheon’s got a tight grip.

The red head looks over at his blonde haired cousin, “Dude, it’s not stupid,” In Jooheon’s brain, his plan is brilliant. Beyond brilliant: sensational. You see, after Haeyoung left the gym to go to ballet practice: she’s been ignoring Jooheon’s calls left and right. Usually, this isn’t weird. When she’s mad, she ignores him. But she always, always, always, answers Minhyuk’s phone calls. The only time she doesn’t answer Minhyuk’s calls, is when she’s too mad. So, his plan is to try to make her less mad at him. Key word: try. “It’s ingenious.” 

Minhyuk rolls his eyes and scoffs, “You really are stupid, aren’t you?” Suddenly he’s jolted into Jooheon’s back because the idiot came to a random stop in the middle of the street. Jooheon flings his finger over Minhyuk’s lips (after turning toward him), hushing him. The red head pulls back and points at the house they’re in front of. 

His plan definitely doesn’t account for this: Haeyoung’s mother is home. And that woman, that woman is dreadful. For some reason, Jooheon likes to apply Romeo and Juliet to nearly everything in his life, and in his mind this is how it’s mapped out: Haeyoung is obviously Juliet, Jooheon is Mercutio (because he’d never date or fall in love with Haeyoung), and Minhyuk is Romeo (he knows at some point they’ll get together.) Haeyoung’s parents happen to Lord and Lady Capulet: whom hate the Montague family. Even Jooheon’s parents (Lord and Lady Montague) hate Haeyoung’s parents. It’s some ridiculous plot out of one of Haeyoung’s stupid dramas.

“Well, I guess we should go back.” Minhyuk tries to leave—he really does—but Jooheon holds tightly onto Minhyuk’s wrist. Keeping him in place. Man, if there’s anything Minhyuk wants to do right now, it would be to cry out in frustration and anger. He seriously hates that Jooheon is so freaking strong. It’d be better if he wasn’t, then he’d be able to punch the kid until he’s begging for mercy. He’ll keep that to himself for now.

Jooheon twists to look over his shoulder at Minhyuk, “Let’s get closer.”

“Are you insane?” The blonde boy spits as Jooheon is dragging them around Haeyoung’s front yard until they’re right below the front bay window. Jooheon easily shifts the window open (it’s the one Haeyoung always leaves open for him when her parents are home.) Minhyuk is nearly going out of his mind: this is not what he wants to be doing. He wants to be sleeping. Maybe even reading. But eavesdropping on Haeyoung and her mother’s conversation, definitely not what he wants to do. Not to mention they look like a bunch of erts, kneeling behind a bush with their heads peering close to the curtain covered window. Waiting to hear a little something.

The last thing Haeyoung expected when she got home, was to see her mother lounging in the dining room on a couch wearing an extravagant pink dress that curved down her S-line body. She immediately ordered Haeyoung to go upstairs and take shower. To leave her clothes outside the bathroom (her mother already ordered a new school uniform) so her assistant can trash it. Once done with showering, her mother ordered food from a local restaurant down the street. Salads. Her mother ordered them salads. “It’s not what a ballet dancer wants to eat, it’s what she has to eat.” That’s what her mother says. After clearing the dishes and putting them away in the dishwasher: Haeyoung was going to escape to her bedroom. But was immediately greeted by her mother’s snarky comment about her best friend. That’s a line she never allows her mother to cross.

“I knew it,” Her mother laughs, throwing her wine glass into the air to make a non-existent ‘clank’ between Haeyoung’s glass and hers. “I always knew that delinquent, was going to cause you misfortunes.” She laughs again, crossing one leg over the other as she sits her wine glass onto the side table next to the beige colored couch she’s sat on. 

Haeyoung frowns as she stops herself right before she reaches the stairs leading to the second floor. There have been times that Haeyoung’s wanted to slap her mother. Actually, there have been more than a few. Her mother seems to do well at the ‘annoying’ and ‘nagging’ part of motherhood. She’s also good with the ‘I told you so’ remark. Usually, her mother only makes her mad. Not angry. Just mad. When Haeyoung’s mad she just leaves the room and ignores her mother. But when Haeyoung’s angry, she feels her hand ringing with a sensation through her veins that tells her she needs to slap the sanity into her mother’s head. If Haeyoung remembers correctly, her mother was the one that taught her ‘loyalty’ and if there’s one thing her mother lacks it’s that. But Haeyoung, she doesn’t. She’ll always be on Jooheon’s side when it comes to her mother’s opinion about him. Always.

“Mother, the last thing I want to talk about, is this.” She murmurs as she runs a hand through her hair and down her face. 

She can hear her mother sigh even when she’s hallway across the room. There’s a split second where Haeyoung hears silence, then it’s a small clatter. Tip, tap, tip, tap. Her mother’s heels clank against the tiled floors. It only stops when she reaches her daughter, and places a hand on her shoulder. “I’ve told you on countless occasions to stop being friends with that criminal. This, darling, is what happens when you don’t listen to me.” Her mother moves to be in front of her, placing a soft kiss on her forehead, before she’s passing by her and to the metal stairs. Climbing them one by one. “Your father will be calling you in the next few hours, be prepared. He’s not thrilled.” With that said, her mother leaves to the lonely master bedroom on the second floor. The one Haeyoung never touches, for obvious reasons.

Haeyoung just stands there. And stands there. And stands there. Her hands are balled into fists. Her eyes are scowling down at the ground and her nose is flaring. She’s angry. So very angry. She dislikes the way her mother disrespects Jooheon. He’s practically a brother to her. She cares for him so much that it hurts her when she says mean things about him. It’s like her mother is insulting her. “Hae!” She twists on her heel, gazing straight at the window she left open for Jooheon. He was there the whole time, and was probably listening into their conversation. Although short, he knows her mother still hates him. 

Haeyoung walks over to the window and pushes the beige curtains to the side. Only to find red headed Jooheon, and blonde Minhyuk creeping there. She digresses. While she should be focusing on the incoming call from her father, she keeps her focus on them. Jooheon grins, “Best friend!” He jumps to his feet and brings Minhyuk up with him.

His smile falters when he notices how Haeyoung looks hurt. “Haeyoung, are you upset?” Jooheon asks as he places his hands on the side of his waist. A pose that oozes authority. At least, that’s what he thinks.

If Minhyuk could slap Jooheon, he would. It’s obvious the girl is upset; why would he ask her? Nevertheless, Jooheon knows Haeyoung best. He knows the only way she’ll ever cough up to the truth, is if you force it out by questions. The girl sighs, as she sits down on the tiled floor, leaning her arms on the low window seal and placing her head down a top it too. Jooheon smiles at her, and if it wasn’t for the screen blocking them, he’d probably pat the top of her head. “Is your dad coming home too?”

She shakes her head, “Only a phone call.”

“That’s good, right? At least he won’t be here in person, right?” Jooheon continues as she sighs and rolls over to lie on the floor. Her hand comes to rest on her stomach, as she shakes her feet side to side. She wishes her father would be here for her to talk to. Even though he’d claim he’s embarrassed that she got involved in something like this: she’d be able to tell her side of the story. Something she’s never allowed to do when he’s somewhere half-way around the world where he can easily hang-up on her. Not allowing for her to say her own side of the story. Sometimes she wonders if he knows that there’s three sides to a story. And her side is one of them.

She sits back up, after a minute of flopping around, and faces Jooheon, “You should go. Mom will be down soon to grab her wine glass once she realizes she doesn’t have it.” The red head nods his head and straightens up—pulling a silent Minhyuk with him. “I’ll see you at school tomorrow, okay?” She comes to stand-up and reaches to close the window.

“Are you still mad?” Jooheon asks, sounding hopeful that maybe she’s not. There’s a split second where she just stares at him before she tightens her grip on the window and shrugs her shoulders. In order not to see his sad face she quickly shuts the window before slinging the curtains in front of it. Yes, Haeyoung is still mad. Will she talk to him tomorrow? Probably. Haeyoung’s not one for holding grudges against Jooheon. Especially because he’s her best friend, and you don’t hold grudges against people you care for. Or else she might end up like her mother.

 

 

Jooheon pouts as he and Minhyuk walk back down the road to reach their respective houses. (They technically live next to each other, there’s just an empty house in between them.) Minhyuk glances up at his cousin, sighs, and rolls his eyes. Even though he hates being related to Jooheon, he actually feels a little bad that he’s upset that Haeyoung is mad at him. If there’s one thing he’s realized over time, it’s that Jooheon doesn’t do well when Haeyoung is mad at him. It’s usually when his crazy-prank mode comes out. Besides wanting attention, he does it to get approval from his best friend. 

“Are you going to be like this forever?” Minhyuk asks as he nudges the younger in the side. Jooheon glances up at him and shrugs his shoulder. If he was willing to talk, he’d probably say yes. He’s just too upset to talk. Like a child. Alright, so maybe Minhyuk has a soft spot for Jooheon: maybe just a little. 

The older wraps his arm around the younger’s shoulder and pulls him downward to the point that he easily rubs his knuckles into his head. Laughing the whole time like a demented seal. Jooheon obviously is feeling the happiness in this situation and only screams the whole time. As if his hair is being peeled off by Minhyuk’s knuckles.

Jooheon shrieks and finally pulls his way out of Minhyuk’s grip. Almost immediately the blonde boy runs off in laughter with Jooheon running after him in anger. “Yah, Lee Minhyuk! You may be older; but, I will kill you if I catch you!” The younger screams as he nearly trips over the edges of his baggy pants. The two scream at each other, Minhyuk mainly laughing—it’s one of his first real laughs in a long time. A hearty laugh that makes Jooheon stop for a mere second. Then he realizes why he’s running after Minhyuk in the first place, and continues after him. 

Haeyoung, tucked away in her million-dollar mansion waiting for a call from the father she rarely sees, can hear them: and it makes her smile for a mere second. It drops off her face once she hears the sound of her phone ringing.

 

 

Hoseok lies on his bed, kicking his feet up and down as he throws a green rubber ball up in the air. Letting it hit the ceiling, and fall back into his hands. His tainted red clothes that he previously wore, is now crumbled in the corner of his room. His mom and step-father weren’t here to comment on his appearance, nor to yell at him for getting in trouble once more. As his step-father would usually do while his mom stares at him like he’s grown three heads. He has absolutely no clue where they are. Probably a gala that he was purposely not invited too because, well, his step-father hates him. He honestly doesn’t know what he should be doing right now. But the incessant phone calls from Hyungwon is seriously annoying him. Especially seeing as, he put the Darth Vader theme song as his ringtone to notify that the jerk is calling, compared to others who his six-year-old niece plugged in the I’m a Barbie Girl for. (He’s never had the heart to change it.)

After five minutes straight of listening to it, while he focuses on throwing the ball up and down, he stops and reaches over to the side table. Grabbing his phone and sliding the screen to answer. “Leave me alone, stop calling me, and get a life!” He nearly screams, pulling at the ends of his hair in agony. He can hear Hyungwon trying to get a few words in but he quickly cuts him off with his anger. “I want nothing to do with you. Dude, just grow up—how juvenile do you have to be to keep calling me? I’m not your mother nor am I your girlfriend so off.” He immediately hangs up the phone when he’s done talking, and places it back on his side table. When he’s done, he goes back to throwing the ball up and down.

He assumes that Hyungwon will stop calling; but, the idiot doesn’t. Once again, the theme song plays through his room like a bad song being repeated and repeated and repeated. It’s getting on his nerves again. After a scream of terror, Hoseok throws his body up into a sitting position, and grabs a hold of his phone once more. “What?” He yells, before he’s grinding his teeth against one another other in stress. 

“Can we meet up tomorrow to talk?” Comes his immediate question.

Hoseok rolls his eyes. Why isn’t this kid getting it? He doesn’t want to be friends. He doesn’t want to talk to him. He doesn’t even want to see him. “No.” He snaps, nearly about to hang-up again.

“You’re not even giving me a chance to talk.” Hyungwon lightly complains in a soft whisper. Hoseok scoffs. Why should he? He did nearly a million times before this and Hyungwon didn’t even try before. Why now? Why this moment? What changed?

“Can’t you just leave me alone?” He huffs, running a hand down his face. He can practically hear Hyungwon sigh, and then, the line goes dead. And for the first time in feasible hours, he’s not being bugged.

 

 

Changkyun feels like he’s standing in front of a firing squad. Well, actually it’s just his mother. Who’s obviously not pleased by the fact that her son came home looking like a giant red tomato or something out of a horror movie. “Im Changkyun!” She screams, nearly at the top of her lungs. Changkyun feels like the earth is shaking and that his mother’s voice caused an earthquake the size of China. Of course that’s crazy talk, and obviously an exaggeration; but, in his mind, that’s what this situation feels like. 

“Oh, mom, hi.” He laughs, raising his hand up to wave before he awkwardly shifts it around so that he’s scratching the back of his neck.

His mother frowns and takes a step closer to him. She quickly glances at his clothes—pulling at the sides of his shirt—before looking back up at her son. Her son who’s smiling brightly at her. “Why are you smiling?” She snaps and he immediately shrugs his shoulder. There’s no doubt in her mind that she finds her son adorable; but, man, this is not the situation for it. “Stop smiling!” Immediately, at his mother’s loud demand, he drops his smile and frowns. His head falls to the point that his chin is sitting on his chest and his arms are crossed over his chest for emphasis. Meanwhile his mother shakes her head and adamantly runs a hand down her face.

“Your principal called a few hours ago,” She begins; after sighing and shaking her head again. “She told me, extravagantly, about how you (and others) caused a huge eruption in the gym. How do you expect me to deal with this?” Changkyun immediately feels bad the minute he hears the weariness in his mother’s voice. He’s always known how much stress his father’s job puts on his mother, and him getting into this mess probably hasn’t helped. 

He shuffles forward and wraps his arms around his mother’s petite frame, “I’m sorry mom.”

Even though she’s now as red as he is, she hugs her son back. “This isn’t getting you off the hook mister. You’re grounded for the next two weeks.” Changkyun whines as he pulls away from his mom and goes into begging mode; but, she instantly stops him. “Go upstairs and get changed.” Once again, he pouts; but, ends up nodding his head and heading to the upstairs. In the near distance he can hear their home phone ring, his mom makes quick conversation; before she comes running out. “Changkyun, someone’s on the phone for you.”

He glances back down the staircase in awe. Someone’s on the phone for him? He assumes it’s just a doctor, maybe the dentist, possibly a teacher; what he doesn’t expect is it to be Kihyun (the kid from the gym) on the other line. “Yo, Chaekwon, let’s talk.” He says after Changkyun grabs the phone from his mom, twists away from her, and puts the phone up to his ear.

Changkyun awkwardly waddles to the front door, and exits: making sure that his mother can’t over hear the conversation. “It’s Changkyun.” He quickly adds in; but, Kihyun seems to ignore him and continue talking. 

“Sure Chanki,” Changkyun sighs, is this guy ever going to get his name right? “Look, you’ve got to be pissed about getting in trouble on your first day of school, right?” Kihyun pauses just enough for Changkyun to shrug his shoulder. Knowing full well the other can’t see him. In all honesty, he’s not that upset. Mildly would be a good word for it. Mildly upset. “Look, what I’m thinking Chikwang, is that you and I get back at the kid who did this to us. Jooheon, that’s his name. Real jerk if you ask me.”

Changkyun actually feels like asking Kihyun if the ‘real jerk’s’ name is actually Jooheon. Or maybe he messed up that guy’s name too. “I don’t know—” He’s quickly cut off by a now slightly frustrated Kihyun.

“Chulkyu, dude, come on! It’ll be great, trust me.” He states, and Changkyun can practically feel the older boy’s smile. “Look, I got to go dude. I’ll see you at school tomorrow, okay Cheolkun?” Changkyun doesn’t even respond as the line goes dead, signaling that he hung up. The poor boy sighs and runs his hand through his hair. Man, that Kihyun guy is really making him feel like less than a real person. It’s not like his name is that hard to remember. Changkyun. See? Simple.

With a huff, Changkyun heads back inside, only to stumble upon his mother. Who looks excited to see him. “Who was that?” She asks, gripping his arm and smiling happily. “A friend from school? Already?” She sounds so hopeful. So hopeful that Changkyun won’t be lonely at this school like he was at the past ones. And Changkyun can’t help but let her stay that way. He likes it when his mom is happy. Not when she’s worried about him.

“Yeah, mom.” He murmurs with a nod.

She squeals, “Oh, that’s just great sweetie! Tell him he can come by whenever he wants!” Changkyun nods, pointing a finger up the stairs (gesturing that he’s heading up) and leaves for the upstairs. Well, there’s one thing that that Kihyun’s given him, and that’s his mother’s happiness. 

 

 

Hyunwoo sits at the long chestnut dinner table in front of his father. Well, behind a vase of flowers that’s directly in front of his father’s face. Nevertheless, he’s still in front of his father. Who’s been silent since Hyunwoo’s confession earlier today. “Dad,” He begins but is immediately shut down when his father purposely clashes his knife against his plate. The sound echoes loudly throughout the dining room. The loud sound sort of hurts his ears. Hyunwoo watches in silence as his father kicks his chair out: letting it scrape against the ground. Before he stands. “Dad, can’t we just talk?” The man glances at his son for a mere second, and Hyunwoo can see it clearly.

Disappointment. Disappointment shown at him. “We’ll talk later.”

Hyunwoo respectfully nods his head and bows toward his father as he leaves for his home office. There’s been a few different times that he’s felt like he’s wanted to cry. This would be one of those times. If there’s anyone in the world that Hyunwoo looks up to, it’s his father. And all he’s ever wanted to do is be on his good side and have him say ‘I’m proud of you, son.’ Now he feels like that may never happen. 

When he hears the door to his father’s office slam, he finds himself collapsing into the seat he was previously sat in. Somberly, he puts his head in his hands and takes a deep breath before letting it out. It comes out ragged; probably a little fragile. Hyunwoo isn’t fragile though; it’s just the situation he’s in. He’s never wanted to be in this situation. The situation where his dad is not only disappointed with him; but, most likely embarrassed of him. Just waits until he finally figures out he’s on a cheer team. That would send him into over drive.

“I’m sorry dad.”