Dreaming of You

A Love Like Ours

There was something peaceful about staring up at the night sky. Even as each star fought to show itself amongst the bright lights of the city, nothing could mask the brilliance of the moon. But what called to Eunsook wasn’t the twinkling stars or that bright orb, it was the total blackness of the night sky that dared to her in and never let her go.

 

“Why am I not surprised?” Eunsook turned her head slowly to stare sheepishly at her roommate. Luna was leaning against the door that led from the stairwell of their apartment building up to the roof where Eunsook was lying down, like every other night this week now that spring had arrived after a long winter.

 

Smiling, Eunsook shrugged her shoulders and returned her gaze to the night sky, her equilibrium once again restored as her eyes settled on the dark expanse above her. Silently joining the older girl, Luna lay down next to her, linking their arms and resting her head against her best friend’s.

 

They lay like that for the rest of the evening, Eunsook letting her mind wander as the stars moved across the sky. Luna had fallen asleep long ago and the light snoring was as familiar to her as their positions were. She felt lucky that her best friend had never once questioned her need to stare up at the night sky, even if Eunsook could never quite explain the feeling of claustrophobia that itched over her skin as soon as the sun began to set.

 

As her own breathing evened out and she fell into a light sleep, Eunsook settled more closely into Luna’s warmth. A relieved sigh escaped her as she finally felt at peace, the darkness of her eyelids morphing into the night sky that welcomed her home.

 

Eunsook had the same dream every night, so the scene was comforting. Normal. At least to her.

 

What wasn’t normal, according to the rest of the world, was the heartbreak she felt each and every night that that night sky morphed into a big black wolf and surrounded her with its warmth. Nor was it normal when that wolf shifted into the most beautiful man she had ever seen, yet could never fully remember upon waking up.

 

Tonight was no different. Her wolf slowly separated himself from the sky, seeking her out as he always did. Eunsook reached a hand out, calling him to her until they were only inches apart. Her fingers itched to touch that rich, dark fur that looked like she could just sink her hands into, but they passed right through him. And just like every other night, her heart broke and she began to panic at the knowledge that she would never be able to reach him.

 

At her tears, the wolf shifted and strong, golden-hued arms reached towards her, passing through her shivering frame. She felt the familiar warmth caress her cheek as he spoke into her hair, but she was never able to hear what he said. As best as she could, she curled herself into him, tucking her head into the space below his chin and somehow knowing that if they could only touch each other it would be a perfect fit.

 

“I love you,” she whispered, knowing that he most likely couldn’t hear her just as she could never really hear him. But for some reason, she knew that he could understand.

 

They stayed like that for the rest of the night; stuck between sleep and reality.

 

He attempted to brush her hair behind her ear and she smiled at the odd sensation that passed through her. She glanced up but could only see the strong underside of his jaw, the delicate smile that graced his lips, but the rest was fuzzy as if a veil had been pulled over him. Eunsook felt her lip jut out in a pout at not being able to see him fully and she sensed his amusement at her expression. Reaching one arm out, he touched a star and it blinked to life, turning into a tiny, white bunny before it jumped down into Eunsook’s lap.

 

The tiny ball of fluff nuzzled at her hands as she held it delicately, loving that she could touch this tiny part of her night. As she cooed down at the bunny, she felt her skin prick with the first sign of morning warning her that the sun would soon rise. Clinging to the bunny, she turned into her night who had once again reverted to his wolf form. Her body ached with the inevitability of separation, only the small hope that they would be reunited the next night giving her some reprieve.

 

Leaning in close, the wolf attempted to nuzzle her neck but all she felt was a slight shift in the air around her before her eyes were blinking open and she felt herself return to her earthly body.

 

The sun was just beginning to rise on the horizon and she shifted away from it on instinct, mentally clinging to the comforting darkness. Her friend stirred next to her and Eunsook pretended to be asleep in favor of answering the questions she knew her friend would likely ask.

 

“Where did you come from, little guy?” was all she said, causing Eunsook to turn and look at what Luna was talking about. A small, white bunny was sleeping near Eunsook’s head, its tiny nose wiggling cutely as it slept. “Aw, too cute! Can we keep it?” Luna glanced up pleadingly at her friend, who could only nod numbly before the other girl was picking up the bunny and cuddling it close to her chest before standing and making her way back into the building.

 

A cool breeze traveled over Eunsook as she became more and more awake, causing her to stir from her resting place. Sitting up slowly, Eunsook once again blinked against the bright sun, resigned to the fact that it would be several hours before she would be reunited with her night.

 

“I miss you.”

 

Eunsook heard the whispered words as if they came from a great distance, whipping her head around to see where they had come from. Luna had long since gone inside, ooh-ing and ah-ing over the tiny white bunny, leaving the older completely alone. The wind swept over her once again, this time warm as it lingered and swirled around almost like the silent memory of a lover’s embrace.

 

“I miss you,” the wind said again, haunting her with its familiarity and yet she couldn’t quite place how.

 

“Are you coming?!” Luna called from the doorway, having returned to no doubt drag her wayward roommate back down to reality.

 

“Yeah,” Eunsook answered, carefully standing before stretching out the kinks from sleeping on the roof.

 

Taking one last look around her, Eunsook made her way over to her friend, taking the white ball of fluff from her and rubbing its head gently before they made their way downstairs. Without knowing why, Eunsook couldn’t help but feel that today was going to be a good day.