“I’m such a fool.”

Winter Play (Cold Hands, Warm Hearts Writing Contest Entry)

“Taebaby.”

Stopping his hands which were busy washing the dishes, Taemin looked up at Key who was smiling widely. Taemin raised one of his eyebrows, questioning Key.

“Why don’t you go out for awhile?” Key suggested.

Okay, Taemin was more confused now. “For what?”

But Key didn’t answer. Instead, he pushed Taemin out of the kitchen. They stood in front of the counter. Key motioned Taemin to look at the stage where some bands usually performed. How surprised Taemin was when he saw Jonghyun had been there, sitting comfortably with a guitar on his laps. He smiled and waved at Taemin, which weren’t responded by the latter. But Jonghyun had been used by this action, so he just let it go.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen,” Jonghyun started. “I have a story before I’m going to sing tonight. I have this friend at my school. He was a silent person, always sitting alone at lunch and sending disgusting look at me and my friends. Yes, he is typical a loner who really hated everyone, someone you don’t wish to be friend with.”

“Is he talking about you?” Key whispered.

“I’m gonna kill him for sure,” Taemin gritted his teeth.

But he didn’t do it, because Jonghyun had continued, “Someday I passed a dance room. I heard music from inside, so I checked it. And guess what? I saw him. He was dancing beautifully. I’ve never seen someone dance so…lively, so well, so breath-taking like that. So I kept watching silently. After that day, I see him as a different person. I watched him every day, finally finding that he doesn’t hate people, he just hates my group. I’m not surprised honestly. My group is…what you call them…some jerks? I know he hates me, so I’m afraid of approaching him. But one day, when I came to this café, I saw him. And then I know it’s kind of destiny, don’t you think? So I created this song for him, hoping someday he will—at least—befriend me. Please enjoy a song with title ‘Hello’.”

Taemin covered his mouth in shock. There were so many things mixing in his mind. He never knew Jonghyun had been watching him. He never thought Jonghyun was this serious. And he never knew Jonghyun could sing this well. His voice was so overwhelming that Taemin didn’t realize he had been staring at Jonghyun for a while. In the other hand, Jonghyun who felt Taemin’s stare smiled at him and winked. Taemin slowly smiled back.

And Jonghyun felt that day couldn’t be better.

***

“So…you want to be my friend now?” Jonghyun asked. He was in the kitchen, eating a slice of cheese cake, a treat from Key for singing at his café. He without any words joined Taemin who was taking a break.

“I…” Taemin looked down at his laps. “I don’t know.”

Jonghyun chuckled. “Aigoo…you’re so cute,” he ruffled Taemin’s hair lightly.

Taemin pouted at Jonghyun. He quickly tidied his hair. Jonghyun just laughed, finding it really adorable. He finished his cake and gulped all of his tea in one go. Taemin just watched him. It was the first time he had ever noticed Jonghyun’s handsomeness. Yes, he was handsome. Manly. Although he wasn’t as handsome as Minho.

Taemin widened his eyes. What the hell was he thinking about? Why did suddenly that annoying guy’s face appear in his mind? He shook his head. He shouldn’t think about him, a bit. Especially about his beautiful face. Wait, no…he wasn’t attractive, Taemin! Taemin scolded himself. He was your biggest nightmare. He was the reason you lost your scholarship, making you had to go through something really ridiculous like acting and singing…

“Hey, Jonghyun-ssi…” Taemin suddenly called.

“Hmm?” Jonghyun hummed in reponse.

“What do you think about…helping my singing?” Taemin shyly asked.

Jonghyun titled his head a bit. He looked at Taemin curiously. “What is the reason? Are you going to join the audition of our school’s play?” he guessed correctly, which earned a nod from Taemin.

“I should be the main role,” Taemin said.

“Why?”

Taemin didn’t answer. He avoided Jonghyun’s eyes on him. Jonghyun sighed. He knew Taemin didn’t want to talk about it, so he wasn’t going to push him.

“Alright,” he said.

Taemin’s face lit up. He smiled widely. “Really? You’re going to help me?” he asked doubtfully.

“Is that mean we’re friends now?” Jonghyun offered his hands.

Taemin laughed. He received Jonghyun’s hands and they both did the hand-shake.

They were friends now. That’s all what matters to Jonghyun.

***

This was so absurd but Minho felt bothered when he saw his best friend, Kim Jonghyun, started to hang out with Lee Taemin. No, his reason wasn’t because of Taemin was poor or a nerd or anything like his other friends thought. His reason was more because of the fact Taemin talked, smiled, and laughed with Jonghyun, not with him.

“I’m going to be crazy soon!” Minho hit his head against his limousine’s window for a few times, earning a confused look from his personal assistant.

“Are you okay, Minho?” he asked informally. Well, he wasn’t only Minho’s personal assistant, but also his childhood friend, someone Minho had grown up with, Minho’s closest friend other than Jonghyun. They were more like best friend than boss and his employee.

“I’m fine, Jinki hyung,” Minho said lazily.

Jinki shrugged. He let Minho wandered his eyes outside his car; looking at the street towards his school he had been memorized. He needed something to distract himself, something that would make him forget the blonde guy for awhile…

Yes, he even now thought that someone who was waiting the bus at the bust station was Taemin. With his blonde hair, sharp nose, pink chubby cheeks, full lips, white skin…

“Stop!” Minho commanded. His driver quickly stopped the car not far from the bus station. Jinki was about to ask, but he kept silent when he saw his Young Master was looking seriously at someone.

In the other hand, Minho was smiling foolishly. It was really Taemin. He wore a big green sweeter and red scarf, reminding Minho about Christmas. Minho chuckled. He saw Taemin was squatting in front of a little kid, probably his brother because they looked alike. Taemin took off his scarf and wrapped it around the kid’s neck before kissing his nose lightly. That sight really made Minho warm, especially the way Taemin smiled. He kept watching him until the blonde guy and the little kid got in the bus.

“Oh my my…am I just dreaming or I see my Young Master smiled like a fool watching a pretty guy?” Jinki teased as soon as Minho turned back at him. Minho ignored him. He avoided Jinki’s teasing eyes and looked up at the sky. It was dark. Minho thought it would be snowing this afternoon, and it would be very, very cold.

“Hey, Jinki hyung,” Minho called.

“Yes?”

“What do you think about stopping by at the shop first? It’s still early anyway,” Minho suggested.

Okay, Jinki felt he had never been this confused before because Minho kept doing something weird today. Minho even never went shopping by his own wants. It was scheduled. And now? Shopping before going school? Minho must have hit his head somewhere, Jinki thought.

“Are you sure, Minho? What do you want to buy actually?”

“Scarf,” Minho simply answered.

“But you have plenty at your house,” Jinki said. “If you want to wear scarf, I’ll call your maid to bring you one later.”

“No, no,” Minho shook his head. “It’s not for me. It’s for someone.”

***

Taemin sneezed. Damn, it’s so cold, he thought while rubbing his hands together. The only thing that made him survived was his sweater. He gave his scarf to his youngest brother that morning because he knew his brother needed it more than him. But he couldn’t deny that he was cold, too.

Suddnely his phone rang stopping his tracks. He pulled it out and automatically smiled when he saw a message from Jonghyun.

From: Dino Hyung

Good luck for today, Taeminnie. I’m sure you’ll get that role!

Sorry can’t watch L

Just get detention for putting cockroach on Miss Yoon’s desk. LOL =D

Taemin laughed. Jonghyun hyung was really naughty, but after all he was totally nice. He taught Taemin singing everyday at Key’s café after his shift ended. He was a great teacher, and an amazing hyung. Taemin had always hoped to have a brother. And Jonghyun was really like a brother to him.

Without realizing it, he was already in front of the hall where the audition was held. He took a really deep breath before he stepped in. Oh God, he was totally nervous. For Taemin, this wasn’t some kinds of ways to be famous like other students’ motive, but this audition held his future.

“Hey, look who’s here!”

Taemin rolled his eyes when Eun Soo yelled at her friends, informing Taemin’s presence. They approached Taemin with their smug smiles. Taemin was sure Eun Soo wouldn’t leave him alone. She should be very angry at Taemin by throwing food at her.

“Hello, Taemin…what are you doing here?” Eun Soo asked sweetly, so sweet that Taemin felt want to vomit.

“What else? Of course I’m joining this audition, Noona,” he emphasized the word ‘noona’, only to make Eun Soo get angry.

“Really?” Eun Soo laughed. “Well, maybe they have the left-over role for you.”

Taemin faked a sweet smile. “Don’t worry about that, Noona. I’m planning to be the main role,” he said boldly.

“Don’t dream too much, Taemin. I don’t think you fit to be a Romeo,” Eun Soo looked at him with pity written clearly on her face.

“We won’t know, Noona,” Taemin said. He smiled once again before leaving Eun Soo and her friends to sit and wait his turn.

***

There were so many people gathering in the hall, making Minho wondered why. He decided to take a look and realized that today was the day of the audition when he took a peek from the unclosed door. He thought they’re going to perform Romeo and Juliet this year. Feeling uninterested, Minho decided to just leave. But he abruptly stopped when he saw Taemin—yes, it was Taemin, there was no doubt about it—was dancing beautifully on the stage.

Minho’s jaw was going to fall, really. He didn’t know Taemin could move so…elegantly, amazingly beautiful like this. He became one with the music and he flow his body naturally. And when Taemin started to sing…it was the best voice for him. Maybe his voice wasn’t as skillful as others’, but it was so soft and touching, that made Minho kept getting closer and closer to him.

When the music stopped, everyone clapped, including Minho. He gave a loud applause, not remembering—or we could say not realizing—he was already in front of the stage, standing beside Miss Im who became the judge for this audition. Miss Im who acknowledged Minho’s presence at that time talked through the microphone.

“Mr. Choi, I’m so happy you come here. Are you going to take my audition?”

Startled, Minho finally tore his gaze from Taemin. He quickly shook his head.

“Oh, don’t be shy, Mr. Choi,” Miss Im suddenly was beside Minho already. “If you’re so shy, how about you act together with Mr. Lee? He is the last contestant anyway?”

“I’m not—”

Minho really didn’t understand how he was there, standing side by side with Taemin. Miss Im surely had hidden strength inside her tiny body that she had succeeded dragging Minho on the stage.

“Now, read the lines for a minute and start!” Miss Im demanded.

“But, those lines are for girl and boy, Miss,” Taemin protested, and Minho’s heart fell. Did he really hate the idea of acting together with me?

Miss Im shook his pointer finger in such I-own-the-world look. “No complain, Taemin. When you act, you must be able to do both.”

“And you’ll be the girl, Taemin,” Miss Im added with a wink.

Minho started to read the lines fast. Those were the lines between Romeo and Juliet. He blushed, thinking that Romeo was way too cheesy. He sighed, how could he do this?

“Times up!” Miss Im clapped her hands once.

“I really can’t do this!” Taemin hissed. He was ready to leave.

And Minho did what he just did spontaneously.

He grabbed Taemin wrist, preventing him to go. Taemin sent him a ‘what-the-hell-are-you-doing’ look and added a ‘let-me-go-now’ look. But instead releasing Taemin, he started to said, “Why do you want to leave, Juliet? Are you afraid if you stay any longer you can’t deny anymore that you’ve fallen for me?”

Taemin swung Minho’s hands away from his. His body just automatically moved. It was like he was trained to fight whatever Minho said, because he just hated him so much. He forgot the lines and just made up his own, “Are you kidding me, Mr. Arrogant? You’re a Montague for God’s sake! I will never ever fall for you even you’re the only one man left in this world!” he pointed Minho’s chest with his slender finger furiously. Taemin spun around and started to walk away.

And Minho’s words made him stop. “You’re just afraid. You act like you hate me because you like me, but you know we can’t be together, because of our family.”

Taemin cancelled his will to leave. He was so surprised to see how serious Minho was, like he wasn’t acting at all, like it was real, what he had said was real.

“I…” Taemin stuttered. “I…I don’t know what you mean.”

“Yes, you do.,” Minho took steps closer at Taemin. “You know what I mean,” he finally stood in front of him. “At least your heart knows,” he ended his line with placing his palm on Taemin’s left chest, where his heart was beating.

The clap was started by Miss Im, followed by all of the students in the hall, except Eun Soo and her crews, of course. Taemin looked at them unbelievably. He knew he had done well at dancing and singing, so he wasn’t so surprised when people gave him applause. But he was really at acting, no matter how hard he practiced. And now people clapped enthusiastically at him. He felt like dreaming.

“Very well, Mr. Choi, Mr. Lee,” Miss Im commented when the hall was silence again. “You got it. The feeling, the chemistry. Oh, this has been a long time since I saw students with amazing acting skills,” she clapped again. She wanted to add that maybe it was just because they so fit with each other, like missing puzzles, but she decided not to reveal it until the announcement.

***

The school was almost empty when Minho looked for Taemin. After the audition, Miss Im gathered the contestants to say a few words about something. Minho didn’t really listen. He was too focused with the beautiful blond-haired boy opposite. It was too bad he didn’t have chance to talk to Taemin. And he needed to get away from Eun Soo first before he could start to search for Taemin.

His smile appeared automatically when he saw Taemin was walking towards the school gate, sometimes kicking the snow in front of him. Minho was right about snowing. It kept snowing from the second period and it had just stopped a moment ago.

Minho looked down at the scarf which was wrapped nicely. He inhaled deeply, silently praying this time Taemin would accept his gift, because hell, it was so cold and that tiny boy could be sick anytime. You did it again, Minho…you worry about him again, he said to himself, smiling.

He was only a meter away from Taemin when a black car stopped in front of Taemin. He knew that car so well. It was Jonghyun’s.

He was right again. Jonghyun came out of the car. And Minho stupidly hid himself behind a pillar. Why should he hide anyway? He himself didn’t understand.

He heard Jonghyun asked Taemin about his audition and they chatted for awhile. Minho sighed. They were really close. Were they dating? But why should Minho care? It was really frustrating.

“Let’s go now. I’m sure Key will nag us if we don’t arrive soon,” Jonghyun said.

Who is Key? Where should they arrive soon? Are they having some secrets?Minho thought jealously. Wait, I’m not jealous! You’re not jealous, Choi Minho! He scolded himself.

“Why don’t you wear scarf? It’s so damn cold!” Jonghyun unwrapped his scarf and put it around Taemin’s neck.

Taemin laughed. “I’m sorry, Umma,” he teased.

Jonghyun ruffled his hair and they teased each other some more as they climbed in Jonghyun’s car. They left the school happily without knowing Minho was watching them with a bitter smile on his face. He looked at the scarf he bought this morning for the nth times that day.

“I’m really such a fool.”

***

This is a really long chapter. I hope you like it!

I'm not confident can finish this story on Christmas, but I'll keep trying!

And finally I got some comments =)

And subscribers:

xiahsduckbutt

mia_loves_tia

Lacie-

himichan

keyloverlocket

ChoiMinho10

not_so_innocent

Really really thank you for subscribing and commenting =D

You really make my day!