"I Hate You."

Winter Play (Cold Hands, Warm Hearts Writing Contest Entry)

They were always being the center of people’s attention. They were handsome and beautiful. And the most important thing was they were rich—totally rich. They were liked—at least it was what they thought. Well, everyone acted nice in front of them, because their parents’—their families’—life were on those people’s hands.

“So dirty,” a thin boy with blonde hair muttered under his breath while he threw a disgusting look at some guys and girls who were eating their lunch in the middle of cafeteria. They had some students—who obviously weren’t included in their group—all over them, trying to get their attention and acting so low.

One of them—that nasty group—suddenly looked up and stared back at Lee Taemin—that blonde boy—perhaps he felt the glare Taemin had sent to them. Taemin quickly looked away, truly showing that he couldn’t stand looking right into those big eyes. It was different from the reaction other people would give if they were stared by the richest guy in that school. And the handsome one, too. It made Choi Minho—that handsome rich guy—frowned.

His frown disappeared when a girl interrupted. She was crying, gaining attention from the other students, including Taemin. He wasn’t surprised, honestly. That girl was Kim Yura. She appeared very close with Kim Heechul, the annoying guy from the group a few days ago. And Taemin bet he broke up with her.

It was exactly right. It couldn’t be called breaking up, it was more like dumping. Well, she should know from the very start that Kim Heechul would never be serious to her. That group was very famous by their cruelness of toying people’s heart, both guys and girls. They enjoyed seeing people’s life suffer, especially the poor, infamous one like Taemin.

The drama ended as soon as it started, because the crews—they who were willing to be slave of that group—kicked her away from the cafeteria. Taemin really wanted to puke seeing those people laughed at Yura’s foolishness. He lost his appetite now. He decided to give up stuffing his lunch into his mouth.

Holding his tray, he stood up and spun around. The second he turned his feet, he bumped into someone, spilling his left-over food on the person’s shirt. He was so surprised. He quickly put back his tray on the table and took out his handkerchief, trying to clean that person’s shirt while muttering ‘I’m sorry’ a few times. But suddenly he was pushed off the person. The distance made him finally saw the face of the person he bumped into.

Choi Minho.

“Yah! Look at what you have done!” Taemin’s attention moved to the arrogant girl beside Minho—the one who had pushed Taemin away from Minho.

Taemin didn’t answer. He just glared at her. Okay, he was wrong, and hell, if it wasn’t Minho, if that person wasn’t from that group, he would immediately apologize and offered help to clean the shirt, but this was Minho, one of the people he totally hated.

Without warning, the girl earlier took Taemin’s tray and threw it at Taemin, covered him with noodles and soup. Everyone gasped, but Taemin didn’t move. The members of the group laughed, except one person.

“Noona! Isn’t that too much?!” Minho’s voice made everyone shock.

Eun Soo—that girl—laughed. “He suits it, Minho.”

Before Minho could speak again, gasps were heard again because suddenly food was thrown into Eun Soo, staining her clothes.

“And then you suit it more,” Taemin smiled sweetly, but his eyes were filled by disgust.

“What happened here?!”

Everyone turned to the owner of the voice. Mr. Park was standing not far from them, looking totally furious, especially when he saw three of his students covered in food. He took quick steps towards them and demanded, “Who told you to play with food?! You see the principal, NOW!!!”

***

Taemin threw the mop angrily and kick the door of one toilet’s stalls. He didn’t know how long he had been cleaning the restroom, but he felt totally tried and mad. Why must he do the punishment he wasn’t deserved to get? Well, because he was only a poor kid who could study there depending on the scholarship he got, while Minho and Eun Soo were the children of the biggest school’s donators. Why wouldn’t the principal defend them and let them to skip lesson to buy new clothes while punish Lee Taemin for being disrespectful? Of course he would do that.

Without looking at the clock, Taemin knew the school was already empty. Cleaning all restrooms in that big school would took hours. Fortunately he finished it before twilight.

Taemin had tried to clean some of the food on his t-shirt, but it still looked very dirty. So he gave up and took his mop and pail to put it back to the equipment room. He glanced to his reflection once again. He was late for his job in café and he looked very horrible. Taemin sighed as he stepped out.

***

Looking at his watch for the nth times, Minho sighed, leaning against the wall. He was sure this was the last restroom Taemin should clean, but why didn’t that boy come out? Minho had waited for almost one half hour. But then cleaning restroom wasn’t easy, and Minho would just come in and help if he wasn’t scared he would just bother, because well, he never did such thing and he believed he would just screwed everything up.

That boy seemed so hated him. He looked like he was disgusted by his presence. And he was sure, that boy hated him more after the incident. He felt guilty, totally. He didn’t like the thought of being the reason of that boy’s punishment.

The door was opened, snapping Minho out of his thought. Minho quickly chased the blonde guy who had walking on the hallway. Minho knew Taemin knew he was there, but why didn’t this shorter boy stop?

“Wait,” Minho blocked Taemin’s way.

Taemin looked up but didn’t say anything. He just stared at Minho with the same look he gave to him before he went out of principal’s office earlier.

“I…” Minho started awkwardly. “I figure that you need…new clothes, so…” Minho handed him a cloth bag which seemed out from expensive boutique or somewhere Taemin was sure he even never dreamed to step on.

There had been awkward silence before Taemin walked again. This time Minho had caught his wrist before he could go. Taemin sent him an irritating glare and said, “What do you want?”

“I…I bought this for you because…well, I—”

Taemin cut Minho off. “Young Master Choi Minho, why do you bother to buy me clothes? I think maybe you even should sue me by staining your shirt!” Taemin ended it with sarcastic laughed. He swung Minho’s hand away from his wrist and turned around.

“Do you really hate me?” Minho’s question stopped Taemin’s track.

Taemin spun around, looking right into Minho’s eyes, while spoke, “I hate you. I hate your friends. I hate all of the rich people in this school for being such a brat!”

“But…I’m not...I mean…I just want to—”

Minho didn’t get to finish his words because Taemin had gone, leaving Minho alone. Minho looked down at the bag in his hands and continued his words. “—apologize.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered bitterly to no one.

---

Yay!

This is my first chapter. I really hope you'll like it.

Please drop comment and subscribe =)