Chapter 8

Only You

SORRY FOR NOT UPLOADING YESTERDAY I JUST HAD A FAMILY THING TO DEAL WITH BUT TO MAKE UP FOR IT I MADE THIS CHAPTER A LITTLE LONGER SO PLEASE ENJOY MY LOVELIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A light tap on Kyungsoo's shoulder causes him to jolt awake, inhaling deeply. He makes out a blonde figure kneeling on the ground beside him, eyes widened,

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Jongin smiles sheepishly and Kyungsoo just laughs,

"No, you didn’t, just surprised me."

"I see. Happy 22nd Birthday by the way.

Jongin reaches up and plants a kiss on his boyfriend's cheek, which turns bright red afterwards.

"It's convenient. 22 on the 22nd, that only happens like once."

"Considering it's now the 24th I guess it's not so convenient anymore," He breathes in and moves his gaze to the side, " and considering I missed it…"

Kyungsoo forces a small smile, concealing the disappointment in his voice, "Yeah, I tried calling you but it just rang out and I was a little worried that I-"

"I'm sorry," Jongin cuts him off, and before Kyungsoo can interupt, he continues, "I know I should have called to let you know I was still living, but I wanted it to be a surprise. So, surprise!"

Kyungsoo blanks and raises his brow in confusion, "Surprise?"

"I have a whole thing planned today for just the two of us, so the sooner you get ready, the sooner we can leave."

Kyungsoo's eyes widen and he props up on his knees, "Really! Okay, I won't be too long!" He jumps off the sofa ad dashes past Jongin, into the bedroom.

--

"Wouldn't it have been easier if we were to just drive instead of taking the bus?" Kyungsoo whines and Jongin rolls his eyes, "If you're going to complain like this all day, I'll just take you home."

Kyungsoo scoffs and receives a playful push from the blonde male.

The bus journey lasts a good 45 minutes and Kyungsoo is relieved when it's time to get off. The bus rolls off, leaving the two of them facing the village before them. Kyungsoo gives Jongin a questioning stare and the other just takes him by the hand and walks him forward.

"I used to come here at times when I was a teenager and I thought you'd might like to visit." Jongin whispers, although there is no-one close enough to hear.

"Wow." Kyungsoo gasps, his eyes not leaving the place in front. Two-storey buildings create two lovely lines of pastel colours, each one complimenting the next. A cobblestone path is set in between and pots are placed every few feet. He notices the pastel buildings each have signs pasted above the doors to which he guesses that they aren't houses, but shops of a sort. The owners either live on the top floor of the buildings or currently reside in the surrounding houses.

"Where are we?" Kyungsoo breathes, and Jongin just looks around.

"Honestly, I havent a clue. I don't know what this place is called or where it's near."

"I don't even care, it's beautiful."

Jongin sniggers and tugs on his hand, "Come on."

They start walking through and Kyungsoo's head whirls back and forth from each side, reading each shop sign. There's a baker's, a butcher's and even a shoe shop. Kyungsoo stops outside a chocolate shop and examines all the different molds and shapes in display. He turns to Jongin with sparkling eyes, "Can we?"

Jongin raises his arms and grins, "Hey, it's your birthday."

Kyungsoo smiles from ear to ear and they enter the blue painted building, the door chiming in response. The creamy scent of the rich substance lingers around their noses and leaves them on a high.

Shelves stacked with a variety of colours going from a deep brown to a silky white hold Kyungsoo's attention and Jongin admires his boyfriend's enthusiastic expression from behind and scans his face over and over.

May I help you?" The two men turn to face a middle aged woman entering from a side door and moving behind the counter, a heartwarming smile pasted over her face.

"We're just looking around." Jongin replies and the woman just nods in return,

"Well if you need any help, just ask." She turns around and fumbles with jars of sweets on the shelf behind.

"Let me guess. I think your favourite chocolate is… white." Jongin mutters in Kyungsoo's ear, wrapping his arms around the smallers waist from behind.

Kyungsoo smiles and rests his head against the others, "Not exactly,"

"Then what is it?"

Kyungsoo ponders the thought and clicks his fingers a few seconds later, "Milk chocolate with hazelnut."

Jongin scoffs and hugs him tighter, "That makes more sense."

Kyungsoo whirls around and faces her, crossing his arms over his chest, "Whats that supposed to mean?"

Jongin smirks and glides away, "Nothing," He makes his way to the counter and leans over to get the cashier's attention, "Excuse me, could I have a box of your finest hazelnut milk chocolate?"

The lady nods and grins, "What size would you like?"

Jongin glances back to  a dazed Kyungsoo then turns his attention back to the lady, "The biggest you've got."

The woman nods and disappears behind the side door. Kyungsoo walks up to Jongin still in a daze, "What are you doing?"

Jongin smirks and ruffles Kyungsoo's hair, "Part of your present."

"Part? So the trip here wasn’t it?"

Jongin laughs, "Oh, this is only the beginning."

--

They wander on through the streets and the June air kisses their skin softly. Kyungsoo holds the box of chocolates, wrapped ever so delicately, in a a brown bag swinging along side him.

The beautifully sculpted buildings seem to go on forever and he's saddened when they come to an end. Albeit, the new scenery is far from disappointing.

Trees that lace a oath on either side and flowers that Kyungsoo can't even name. The sight is breathtaking and Jongin leads him through the majestic wonderland.

"Can I give you the rest of your present?" Jongin smiles, fumbling with his fingers.

"More? Jongin, you really-"

"Just. Please, then no more surprises."

Kyungsoo chuckles, "Okay, go ahead."

Jongin grins and reaches into his pocket to pull out a small, rectangular box. He hands it to Kyungsoo and bows his head down sheepishly, "I hope you like it."

Kyungsoo's eyes light up as he takes the gift from him. Opening it, he reveals a silver ring presented beautifully inside. Patterns decorating the outer side and a small engraving of the letter T on the inside. His  jaw drops to the floor and he has to force the words out, "Jongin…" He swallows and shakes his head In disbelief, "I can't believe you, how did- this must have been really expensive."

The taller boy laughs in return, "What does it matter the cost? Do you like it?"

"I love it, thank you so much, you shouldn't have!" Kyungsoo wraps his arms around her boyfriends neck and draws him in for a kiss. Short, but sweet.

"Here, allow me," Jongin takes Kyungsoo's hand and slides the ring on his fourth finger.

"Now you can match me," Jongin reveals a ring similar to Kyungsoo's , "except mine has no engravings, but they still match."

"Wow, I cant- I don’t- I love it. And - I - I love you." Kyungsoo lowers his head to try and cover his flushed cheeks, but Jongin lifts his chin with a finger and pouts, "I love you, too." They revel in a hug that lasts God knows how long and continue on through the pathway.

 

--

 

Despite what Jongin said, there was one last surprise, however. When their walk came to an end, they were greeted by a campsite and confusion grew on Kyungsoo's face until Jongin explained that they'd be spending the night in a tent.

"How did you plan all this?" Kyungsoo asks, examining the inside of their tent. There were two sleeping bags, two duvets and a numerous amount of pillows.

"I told you, I came here  a lot as a kid, so I know the people well. They gave me a hand with everything."

"Well, tell them they really outdid themselves, as did you."

Jongin shrugs and hands him a duffel bag, "I guess you'll need pyjamas whilst we're here."

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow, "Wait, these are mine, how did you even get them?"

Jongin sighs and raises his hands in defense, "Technically, I didn’t. Baekhyun did while you were at work yesterday."

"So he's in on this too?"

"Actually, no. I didn't tell him why I needed them."

"Really? God knows whats going through his head right now, when you asked for my pyjamas without a reason."

"I'll explain to him later, but now, we can change, make some hot chocolate and chill for the rest of the evening."

"Sounds good."

They change into their nightwear and Jongin heads out to make the hot chocolate. Once settled, they prop some pillows up in a corner, wrap the duvets around themselves and snuggle into each other, careful not to spill their drink. With their legs in a tangled mess, Kyungsoo inhales deeply and rests his head on Jongin's shoulder, "Can - Can I ask you something?"
Jongin snickers, "Anything."

Kyungsoo shudders against him, "Doesn't matter."

"Hey, what is it?"

"I just wanted to know, how long have - when did you know what you were, you know, gay?"

Jongin laughs under his breath and inhales through his teeth, "Lets see, I think…" There's a moment of silence excluding the tap of his finger on the cup, "I think when I was about 12, yeah."

"You knew when you were only 12?"

"Only? The majority of kids I knew, knew when they were like half that. I always felt different than everyone else but just never knew what it was. I didn't take much interest in swooning over girls and I thought something was wrong with me. What about you? How old were you?"

"I was 17. Not a very exciting age, I guess. Maybe I already knew, but I just didn’t accept it till then. My friends took it really well, especially Baekhyun as you know.

"Mine took it quite well , too, thank God. Considering my parents didn’t take it the best."

"They didn't accept you?"

"Oh they did. Im just not allowed to set foot back in their house. They said it was either 'the right way' or get out. So I left. Hence, the reason I'm living beside you. I moved around a lot, but it wasnt so bad, I've seen a lot of places, so that's a good thing."

Kyungsoo shifts slightly, "At least you had parents to come out to."

"What?" Jongin turns on his side and sits up cross-legged, watching Kyungsoo.

"Mine died before I had the chance to tell them. Three days before I was planning on it, actually," He sighs and sets his now empty cup on the floor, out of the way, "Car crash. Got a call during the night from the police saying they were dead."

Jongin focuses on the way Kyungsoo clenches his teeth and how cold his voice sounds. He's never seen the boy like this and it makes him wonder if he's angry at him parents for leaving him,

"That's when I moved to my apartment. I was nearly 18 anyways so I didn't need a guardian. I got a low-paying job and here I am."

Silence reigns over them and only the sound of their steady breathing can be heard. Jongin shuffles closer to Kyungsoo and places his hands on the brunettes cheeks. Their faces are inches apart and Jongin gazes sternly into a pair of wide eyes staring back, "Listen. You've got to understand that your parents didn't do this on purpose, it wasn’t their fault and it its definatly not yours," Kyungsoo opens his mouth to speak but retreats when Jongin shushes him, "don't. Because the sooner you realize that, the better it'll be for you, okay?" He wipes the small tear forming at the corner of Kyungsoo's eye and gives a subtle smile.

"You're right, I'm sorry, its just - "

"Don’t be sorry, you have no reason to apologise, it's human nature to grieve over lost ones, especially our parents."

"I'll get over it. I promise."

"Take your time."

They don’t talk much after that, and just lay and revel in eachothers presence, fingers entwined and their legs wrapped around loosely before sleep claims them for the night.