- 001 -

e m o t i o n l e s s

 

 

 

 

 

Dull.

Her life is dull.

Ever since the day her parents left her, Younghee's life went downhill.

The store owner had asked what Younghee was doing, sitting on the steps alone in the cold darkness of the night. Younghee answered with a bright smile, however it faded with the owner's reply. "The Dragon Festival is only in Seoul! What are you doing here all the way in Busan? Get that smile off of your face! It's annoying. I can see why your parents left you." The store owner made her way past Younghee.

"Left me...?" Younghee asked, tears forming.

"Aigoo, how naive are you? Your parents just abandoned you! They drove off! I heard them bickering about it when they got back into their car." The store owner got into her car and drove off. All Younghee could do was stand there, frozen.

Younghee was then taken to a police station by a kind police officer.

In school, she was greatly bullied.

Many kids picked on her because she had to live in a foster home. The people in the foster home weren't welcoming either, in fact, they were horrible. Everyone around Younghee had said they had hated her every move, her emotions, her voice, her presence, her.

At the age of 11, Younghee ran away, hoping to start her life over.

She lived on her own, secretly had a job to support herself, and did everything she had to on her own.

However, she was scared.

She was scared to be hated again, to be outcasted and treated badly again.

Younghee became emotionless.

She hardly ever spoke. Kept a blank expression at all times. Had no reactions. And eventually, all of her emotions stopped.

Younghee didn't have friends either, she was always alone. During lunch or any long breaks, Younghee went up to the rooftop to get away from others. Even during self-study, she would escape to the rooftop and study there.

Everyday was basically the same. Nothing new or different really happened.

Until today.

Younghee got into class right on time and took her seat which was isolated from the rest. Watching the students get settled as the teacher walked in. She stared at the front of the classroom, waiting for the class president to announce the greeting of the teacher. After the greeting was done, Younghee noticed that the lesson didn't start right away like it normally did. Instead, the teacher just sat back in her chair and kept glancing at the door.

After about 15 minutes, a knock on the door was heard and the principal stepped in. Everyone straightened up. A couple of unfamiliar faces followed behind.

"Okay class, today we have a few new students. They come from an all boys' school that recently shut down because of budget cuts. Please behave and get along with them," the teacher explained. "Please, introduce yourselves."

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Lee Jihoon."

"Jeon Wonwoo."

"Kwon Soonyoung." They smiled awkwardly and scanned the room. Soonyoung's eyes met with Younghee's and he gave her a warm smile. She kept her blank face. Soonyoung awkwardly looked away and glanced at Wonwoo and Jihoon, hoping they didn't notice.

"Okay, um, let's see." The teacher scanned the room. "There's three empty seats in the back corner of the room near Ahn Younghee. Please have a seat." The three walked over to the empty seats. Wonwoo and Jihoon arrived first, so they took the seats infront of Younghee, meaning Soonyoung was her seatmate. "Alright, now let's start class. Everyone, get out your geography textbooks."

He awkwardly turned to her while the class transitioned. "Um, hi." He said. She looked at him and gave him a nod in response, then looked away. "Um, do you think you can share the book? We haven't gotten our textbooks yet," he sheepishly asked. Without a word, Younghee slid the textbook onto the seam of the two desks so that they can both see. "Thanks," he whispered. Another nod.

The classes passed by rather slowly for Soonyoung. It was just too awkward for him. Finally it was lunch time. Soonyoung chatted with Wonwwo and Jihoon for a bit while Younghee listened to music with her earbuds in, grabbing her lunch. "Excuse me, can you show us to the cafeteria?" Soonyoung asked. Younghee didn't hear so she just started walking to the roof. "Wow," Soonyoung scoffed, "did she just ignore me?"

"Hah, loser," Wonwoo laughed.

The three boys ended up finding their way and found their friends, also meeting their friends' new friends. All thirteen of them sat at the table.

"How rude are the girls here?" Wonwoo asked.

"Woah there, hold your horses," Mingyu joked. "They're kinda annoying. They're really fakely peppy and cheerful and clingly. They talk too much."

"Not all, right?" Jihoon asked.

"Well, there is this one girl," Vernon answered. Soonyoung's ears perked up.

"One girl?? Who?" Chan asked.

"Ahn Younghee," Jeonghan answered. Soonyoung carefully listened to the conversation.

"Who's that and how is she different?" Seungcheol asked.

"Well, she's in class 3-4. She doesn't talk much, nor show any emotion." Junhui explained.

"She's always getting away from everyone," Minghao added.

"Yeah, it's like she's a robot or something," Hansol chuckled.

"Aw great, I'm stuck with a weirdo," Soonyoung sighed.

Jisoo looked at his watch, "it's time to get going to class now. I'll see all you guys after school or during study."