Safe

Steal Your Heart

Hi, yes I am still alive :)

To be very honest with you guys my writer's block is really bad. My life right now is very... lacking, and it's starting to suppress my writing. I'm not even 100% ok with this chapter but since i've been leaving you guys hanging for so long I decided to update. 

Thank you for sticking with me if you're still reading this ^__^


 

 

 

The next morning was one of the most hectic mornings Taehyung ever had at the castle.

As soon as the sun peeked over the horizon, Seokjin was bursting into Taehyung's quarters with a slew of maids behind him.

Taehyung barely had time to register what was going on before his hair was being tugged at and fresh clothes were being dragged over his head. The maids tittered about with Seokjin directing them all the while. It wasn’t until he was being pushed out the door that Taehyung remembered he was to attend a war meeting with the prince today.

A war meeting.

Taehyung pressed the heels of his palms into his eyes and took a deep breath. Maybe he was just working himself up for nothing and the meeting wouldn’t be so bad.

The brunette glanced behind him and focused on the figure walking to his left.

“Sir Jeon?”

“Yes, Taehyung?”

Taehyung in another breath and adjusted the stuffy collar at his throat.

“What… What are war meetings like?”

“As long as you don’t speak out of turn, you should be fine,” the knight answered in a bored tone.

Taehyung swallowed thickly and turned back around, not feeling comforted at all.

“I too was scared when I attended my first war meeting,” Seokjin spoke up from where he led the way. “I tend to get extremely red in embarrassing situations and the court officials called me names for weeks because of it.”

Taehyung’s eyes widened in surprise. His overactive imagination started to picture a bunch of rowdy men, much like the children from his clan, all sitting around a large round table and throwing jeers at Seokjin while cackling.

“Truly childish if you ask me,” Jungkook scoffed.

This also surprised Taehyung, for Jungkook never really gave his opinion on something unless he was prompted to.

Seokjin smiled appreciatively in the knight’s direction and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. “As long as you don’t turn into a tomato, you’ll be alright, Taehyung. Prince Yoongi will be doing most of the talking, so just sit tight until he calls on you to speak.”

Taehyung’s nails bit into the palms of his hands as he nodded. He was still a nervous wreck but talking about the situation helped to ease his heart a little. He no longer felt like jumping out the nearest window and hoping the wind carried him out of the kingdom.

“Speaking of his highness…” Seokjin trailed off.

Taehyung looked up from staring at the cobblestone floors and saw the prince standing with a group of guards. They were waiting outside a pair of heavy wooden doors, and Taehyung wondered if it was where they were to have the meeting.

He suddenly wished they had walked a lot slower.

“Taehyung,” Prince Yoongi said by way of greeting, and the former thief wondered why his stomach always did a strange dip whenever his name left the prince’s mouth. “You cleaned him up well, Seokjin.”

Taehyung, Seokjin and Jungkook all bowed in unison.

“You’re very welcome, my prince,” Seokjin said as soon as he was upright again.

Yoongi nodded and turned to face Taehyung again. It was weird for him to see the pale prince in actual royal attire. He had gotten so used to the flowy tunics, cotton pants and black boots that usually graced the prince’s toned figure.

Now there were layers of gaudy fabric and gold threading. Prince Yoongi was really starting to look the role of his title, and Taehyung found himself even more intimidated.

Yoongi’s pink lips curled up into a smirk at the corner. “Seeing me like this must be strange.”

Taehyung quickly shook the fog out of his head and bowed in apology. “I’m sorry, Prince Yoongi! I--”

Yoongi tapped his shoulder and Taehyung quickly straightened up again.

“No need for apologies,” Yoongi assured him, brows furrowed in exasperation.

Taehyung almost said sorry again but quickly held his tongue. Instead, he broke eye contact with the prince and looked around him, noticing that Seokjin, Jungkook and the guards were all staring at them with curiosity gleaming in their eyes.

Yoongi followed Taehyung’s line of sight, and as soon as his gaze landed on all of them they quickly averted their eyes.

Sighing, the prince gave Taehyung’s shoulder one last pat before turning to face the massive doors.

“We should go inside now and see to it that this meeting starts quickly. I do not wish to argue with a bunch of elderly councilman the whole day long.”

“Yes, your highness,” one of the guards quickly replied. He rushed forward and braced both of his hands on the doors before pushing them open to the sight of a large round table sitting directly in the center of an otherwise bare room.

Taehyung felt like everything was happening too fast as he followed behind Yoongi and tried to not walk too slowly for the guards flanking them on all sides.

“Keep quiet and only talk when I advise you to,” Yoongi whispered lowly from where he walked in front, only talking loud enough for Taehyung to hear.

“Yes, Prince Yoongi,” Taehyung whispered back.

He kept looking at Seokjin and Jungkook’s calm faces, hoping that some of their serene persona would transfer over to him, but it didn’t seem to be working.

Taehyung took a seat in the chair placed behind and to the right of the prince, and meekly folded his hands in his lap.

All that was left to do was listen and wait.

 

 

 

_+_

 

 


 

The meeting was nothing like how Taehyung had imagined it would be.

There was a lot of quiet murmuring and the occasional person speaking up, but there were no fists banging on tables and name-calling being thrown back and forth. Everyone was civil and overly polite.

It was refreshing, but he could tell by the droop of the prince’s shoulders that Yoongi found the situation all too boring for his liking.

It wasn’t until the conversation started to lean towards possible surprise attacks that Yoongi sat up straighter. His entire body leaned forward slightly, taking in everything that was said with patient eyes and a considerable nod here and there.

Seokjin was sat in the corner, jotting down notes so quickly, Taehyung thought his hand looked like a blur.

Jungkook was stationed next to one of the other guards placed behind Yoongi and Taehyung, and the brunette sometimes glanced at him in order to ground himself. Having someone so familiar near really helped to ease the knots in his stomach.

“I’ve been saying for months that we need to have patrols at our borders,” one of the graying men said from the opposite side of the table. “The enemy could just waltz right in at any moment, at this point.”

“Our borders are heavily populated,” another one piped up. Taehyung had been watching him a lot throughout the entire meeting. The man had been sitting in a very slouched and relaxed position, not looking all too concerned about the impending war everyone was talking about. In fact, this was only the second time he had spoken in the past three hours. “No one would be able to sneak in announced. Rumors would reach back to the castle before they could even step another foot into the kingdom.”

Wrong, Taehyung thought, but he didn’t dare speak out of turn.

“We’re being too relaxed. The Kingdom of Seoul is large, much larger than us.”

“We’re doing just fine now, and we’ll do just fine if they happen to show up. We’re stirring up a commotion all based on rumors for heaven’s sake!”

The table erupted into a debate of whether or not preparation for a war was necessary or not. Majority believed the first official to be right, and that a border patrol needed to be organized, while a few were leaning towards what the second official said. That maybe there wasn’t even a war to worry about.

“Silence.”

Taehyung blinked in surprise at the quiet hush that immediately fell upon the room. Yoongi hadn’t even had to raise his voice.

“I think, for this situation, my informant should speak.”

Taehyung felt like a bucket of ice cold water was poured down his back. His posture straightened with a jolt as everyone’s eyes landed on him. Most of them were staring at him in obvious disgust.

“Your informant?” the previously slouching man spat. He had a scowl on his face and a pinch between his brows. “Why do you have a lowly peasant from the Southern clan sitting with us anyway? Forgive me, my prince, but what would your father say of this?”

Taehyung felt himself shrink smaller and smaller the more the man talked. It was like someone had all of the wind out of his lungs and left him without a voice or breath.

“I’m sorry but who did my father put in charge of his army?” Yoongi coldly replied, piercing gaze landing on each and every face sitting at the table.

The slouching man snapped his mouth shut. His eyes were still burning with more that he wanted to say, but he pressed his lips together and stared down at the table.

“Anymore talk of Taehyung’s status will result in you being stripped of your position and expelled from my table. That goes for all of you.”

Everyone bowed their heads and grumbled out a “Yes, your highness.”

“Now,” Yoongi continued calmly, “I would like you to speak, Taehyung. What do you think about placing guards at the borders?”

For a few seconds Taehyung couldn’t say a word. Everyone was looking to him again, ears open and mouths closed. He wasn’t used to receiving so much undivided attention, and it was honestly scaring him to death. His hands started to shake and his lips trembled slightly as he opened his mouth.

“Take a deep breath,” Yoongi whispered.

Taehyung’s eyes immediately darted to the prince, drinking in his features with wide eyes.

“Just look at me, if that helps. Only address me.”

So Taehyung did.

“I think… I think that even though our borders are heavily populated, the people of Daegu do not…”

Taehyung let out a shaky breath and Yoongi nodded with a raise of his brow, urging him to continue speaking.

“The people of Daegu are not completely loyal to the royal family.”

For a tense length of time, no one said a word, and then one of the officials closest to Yoongi said something and soon everyone was talking over each other once again. Some could not believe that there were people who opposed the crown, others grumbled that they had their suspicions all along.

“Taehyung, you’ve grown up around the people,” Yoongi spoke, making everyone hush at the sound of his voice again. “Why do you doubt their loyalty?”

“Because I've heard a lot of things over the years,” Taehyung sincerely answered. Only looking at Yoongi really did help the words flow freely. “A lot of people admire the kingdom of Seoul. They see our kingdom as being… being weak in comparison.”

“Nonsense!” One of the counsilman bristled, and Yoongi cut him a sharp look.

“Have you ever ventured to the outskirts?” He asked the man.

The councilman begrudgingly shook his head.

Yoongi smiled, but it was cold and scathing. “I didn't think so.”

The meeting continued on for a few more hours after that. Taehyung was asked to relay everything he knew about how the people felt about the kingdom, and no one dared to interrupt him again. He could tell none of the higher ranks liked him very much, but they held their tongues and didn't interrupt him.

A border patrol was finally decided upon and the slouchy man seethed quietly.

As soon as the meeting was adjourned Taehyung felt like he could breathe again. His back felt stiff from sitting up straight for so long.

“You did well, considering it was your first war meeting,” Yoongi commented once they were out of the room and all of the councilman were gone. “Your input is what helped us make a decision in the end.”

Taehyung’s cheeks warmed at the praise.

“Thank you, Prince Yoongi,” he mumbled towards his feet.

A cold finger touched his chin and nudged his head upwards to meet dark eyes. The Prince looked ethereal, with his royal garb and perfectly combed hair. It reminded Taehyung of the colorful portraits pasted up all around town, depicting the rulers of this Kingdom as being so high up they were practically unattainable.

Yet here Yoongi was, right before Taehyung and very much within reach. He was even touching him, and Taehyung never thought he would see the day the prince of his Kingdom would be holding his chin so gently.

“So this is the Taehyung you speak of so often?”

Taehyung flinched at the sudden sound of the new voice, and Yoongi dropped his hand from the brunette’s chin.

“Namjoon,” The prince greeted with a sly grin.

Taehyung peeked over Yoongi’s shoulder to see a man in heavy purple and blue robes standing in the hallway before them. Exotic rings and earrings graced his fingers and ears, making him look mystical in the setting sunlight that streamed in through the arched windows.

“Your highness,” Namjoon greeted back with a tilt of his head and a wide smile. The way he said the title sounded more mocking than reverent, but Yoongi seemed to be used to it because his smile never wavered.

“Taehyung, this is Namjoon, our royal wizard,” Yoongi introduced, stepping to the side so that Taehyung could see Namjoon better. “He taught me everything I know. His father was one of the most powerful wizards our Kingdom has ever had.”

Namjoon bowed with a twinkle in his eyes. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Taehyung. Zhoumi told me you would do well with a few spell books.”

Taehyung immediately bowed back, shaking his head all the while. “I-I’m still learning how to read. I don’t think--”

“There’s more to magic than just reading,” Namjoon interjected with a soft chuckle. “It’s a powerful force that comes from within. It puts strength into the hands of those that could be considered physically ‘weak’ and turns the tables in their favor.”

Taehyung nodded along, his eyes widening in wonder. The way Namjoon spoke about magic was captivating. The man exuded charm and elegance in how he talked and held himself. It was like witnessing a painting coming to life.

“I’ve asked Namjoon to be your mentor as well,” Yoongi spoke up, making Taehyung’s head whip towards his direction.

“My mentor? Really?” Taehyung asked in surprise. “You’re.. You’re letting me learn magic?!”

“That’s your prince you’re talking to, Kid,” Namjoon said with a hint of amusement lacing his words.

Taehyung slapped a hand over his mouth and bowed low. “I-I’m sorry, your highness, I--”

Aish, Namjoon,” Yoongi groaned. “I finally got him to stop apologizing for every little thing.”

Namjoon flashed a dimpled smile. “Sorry.”

“Rise, Taehyung,” Yoongi instructed.

Taehyung stood up straight again.

“Yes, I would like you to learn magic. Everyone in my court must be able to defend themselves in some way, including yourself.”

Taehyung nodded. He still felt apprehensive about the news but a part of him was excited. His whole life he had been defenseless against others. Learning magic could finally give him a backbone in this harsh world.

“I wish I had learned such a skill when I was back at home,” he voiced aloud, mostly talking to himself. “Then maybe living with my sisters wouldn't have been so bothersome.”

Namjoon barked out a laugh at that and Taehyung startled at the sudden sound.

“I love the way you think, Taehyung,” the wizard praised between breathy chuckles.

Taehyung smiled and looked over to see that the prince was smiling too.

“T-Thank you.”

“Sir Jeon!” Yoongi called out to the knight that was a few feet down the hallway, talking to one of his fellow knights. He excused himself and came towards them at the call of his prince.

“Yes, your highness?”

“See to it that Taehyung gets back to his room safely. I have to speak with our resident wizard.”

Jungkook looked at Namjoon then, a pinch of uncertainty and amazement as he regarded the magic wielder. “Yes, your highness.”

“Let’s go,” he said to Taehyung, and started down the hallway.

Taehyung moved to follow him, feeling the combined stares of the prince and the wizard on his back, as he disappeared down the hall.

 

 

_+_

 


 

“He’s a different one… that Taehyung,” Namjoon murmured.

Yoongi continued to gaze down the hallway, even after the boy disappeared around the corner with the knight.

“I know,” he sighed.

 


 

_+_


 

 

“Can we pass through the garden, Sir Jeon?” Taehyung asked.

Jungkook was already shaking his head before he even finished the sentence.

“The route through the castle is the safest. There’s no need for going through the garden.”

“Of course there is,” Taehyung pouted. “The flowers… they make me feel better.”

“The garden will still be there tomorrow,” Jungkook answered back curtly.

Taehyung huffed and sped up his steps a bit. If Jungkook was going to be mean than he wasn’t going to make his job easy. “I think you would be a much kinder person if you stopped to smell the flowers one day, Sir Jeon.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes, quickening his steps as well. “The garden has bees, and the pollen upsets my sinuses. I can do without smelling a few-- Wait!”

Taehyung laughed as he broke off into a run and turned down the familiar hallway leading out into the gardens. His footsteps echoed down the vacant passageway, followed close behind by the clinking of Jungkook’s metal armor.

“Taehyung, slow down!”

Taehyung didn’t let up. He ran until he was bursting into the garden, flowers of all different kinds greeting him happily in the slight breeze. Their leaves quivered as the wind carried their sweet scents into Taehyung’s nose. He took in a deep breath and giggled happily, feeling lighter than ever.

For the first time since coming to the castle, Taehyung felt blissfully alone. Sure he was by himself in his room, but there was always the knowledge that Jungkook was sleeping close by in one of the other rooms, ready to storm in and tackle an intruder if necessary. He couldn’t even relieve himself without having the knight hovering close by.

In that brief moment, standing in the garden, Taehyung could pretend he was out in the countryside again, playing hide and seek with his little cousins and searching for them amongst the foliage.

Taehyung is it! Taehyung is it! Go count to ten Taehyung!

They always made him the seeker because they knew Taehyung would never argue against it.

Despite how badly he was treated amongst his clan, Taehyung found himself missing the moments he used to spend with the younger kids. It was the only time he felt free of his thief title.

“You made this far too easy for us, Peasant.”

Taehyung spun around with a gasp caught in his throat. A man with a piece of cloth covering his mouth was standing on the other side of the garden, holding a long length of rope in his hands.

“Grab him!”

Before Taehyung could even react, hands were grabbing his arms and shoulders, pushing him down to the ground and pinning their knees into his back.

“No! Stop! Sir Jeon! Jungkook help!” Taehyung cried out. He couldn’t see the faces from this angle, but their hands were aged.

“A peasant does not belong amongst royalty,” one of the voices hissed close to his ear.

Taehyung thought it sounded familiar, but he was quickly distracted by the rough texture of rope being wrapped around his wrists.

“Let me go! I didn't-- didn't do anything!”

“Oh that's just the thing little one,” a different voice said. He seemed to be the one tying the rope, because the knot grew tighter as he punctuated each word. “You've done too much. It is not your place to eat, sleep and breathe within these castle walls. We don't know what kind of spell you casted on Prince Yoongi, but the fog will lift from his mind once we get rid of you.”

A single tear dripped down the slope of Taehyung's nose and plopped into the grass below. The rope chaffing against his skin reminded of him of his first few days in the castle, when he was held as a prisoner.

So much happened since then, but now it was like he was back to square one.

“Unhand him!”

Sir Jeon!

Taehyung tried to crane his neck and see Jungkook, but the men on top of him were relentless.

“Let go of him immediately!” Jungkook persisted. “I have strict orders from the prince to keep him safe.”

“The prince is not in his right mind,” one of the gravelly voices above Taehyung spoke up. “We are doing him a good service.”

The sound of a sword being unsheathed sent a shiver down Taehyung's spine.

“If you will not let him go willingly, I will just have to make you.”

Swords clashing, and the scuffling of shoes across the soft ground, greeted Taehyung's ears where he lay. He tried to get up and break out of the hold on his arms, but his attackers were surprisingly strong despite the wrinkles around their eyes.

Blue and purple bruises were already starting to form on Taehyung's skin from where their bony hands gripped him.

Once again, he was weak and powerless, unable to even fend off a few sour old men.

Taehyung felt more tears spill from his eyes and soak his cheeks.

The more he wished for peace in life, the more chaos followed him.

“Aagh!”

Taehyung felt one of the grips on his arms loosen, and he peeked upward through teary eyes to see one of his captures flying backwards at the force of a blow.

The last man holding him tried to put up a fight as well, but Jungkook was too fast for him and he eventually went stumbling back as well.

“You'll regret interfering, Knight!” one of them spat.

Jungkook ignored him and reached for Taehyung. The brunette instantly scrunched up into a ball out of reflex, but Jungkook's hold on his arms was much gentler than the vice like grips from earlier.

“You have to get up, Taehyung. We need to get you to safety.”

Hesitantly, Taehyung wobbled to a stand and let most of his weight rest against Jungkook's side. It felt like his ankle was sprained from being tackled to the ground so quickly.

Jungkook helped him limp away and he did his best to ignore the shouts from behind them.

“This isn't over!”

“We'll see to it that you don't contaminate this kingdom, peasant!”

 

 

 

_+_

 

 

 

“W-Where are you taking me?” Taehyung whispered once they were inside the castle again.

“Somewhere safe.”

He glanced up at Jungkook, taking in the dark look that had fallen over his face. There was a bruise on his jaw too, and quilt instantly gripped Taehyung's stomach.

“I'm sorry.”

Jungkook glanced over at him as they hurried along, a confused look on his face.

“Sorry? For what, exactly?”

Taehyung swallowed thickly. “For not listening and running ahead. You got hurt because of me and--”

“That doesn't matter.”

Taehyung frowned. “It… doesn't?”

Jungkook nodded. “Because in the end Prince Yoongi wants you safe, and I failed to complete that request.”

Taehyung felt something weird stir up inside of him.

Prince Yoongi wants you safe.

He never heard of someone wanting that for him before, not even his parents.

 

 

_+_

 

 

 

It turned out Jungkook was leading him away from his room in the servant's quarters, and farther into the heart of the castle.

“Sir Jeon,” a set of guards greeted.

They were stationed outside of an intricately designed door. The markings along its frame reminded Taehyung of the tattoos that littered Prince Yoongi’s body.

“What business do you have with the prince?” The taller guard demanded, eyeing Jungkook up and down curiously.

“It's an emergency. The prince would want to be informed.”

Both guards shared a look before the shorter one spoke up.

“I will ask him if he wishes to see you.”

Jungkook nodded and the guard disappeared into Yoongi’s room after a couple of sharp knocks.

“Are you sure it's alright to disturb him over something like this?” Taehyung whispered with wide eyes. He was a little shocked Jungkook had chosen to bring him straight to the prince's personal chambers.

Just as the knight opened his mouth to answer, Prince Yoongi’s door was being pulled open quickly.

He took one look at Taehyung, brows furrowing and mouth pressing into a flat line, before reaching out and tugging him in by his hand.

“You may enter as well, Sir Jeon.”

Jungkook bowed and followed them inside.

Yoongi closed the door and locked it before directing his attention towards Taehyung again.

It was then that the brunette realized he was seeing the prince's bare torso for the second time.

The light from the candles burning made the markings on his skin stretch and twist with the shadows they casted.

It was like their first meeting all over again. Accept this time, Yoongi wasn't looking at Taehyung like he was a thief.

He looked at him like he was important.

“What happened?” was the first thing he demanded, and Jungkook was quick to explain.

The expressions that flashed across the prince’s face as the story was relayed to him made that warm feeling return to Taehyung's chest. No one had ever showed so much concern for him before.

It was… nice.

Really nice.

“I'm sorry you had to go through that Taehyung.”

Taehyung blinked in surprise, realizing Yoongi was far closer to him than before, and talking directly to him.

“Let this be a lesson to how dangerous it truly is here, especially for someone like you.”

Taehyung bit his lip and nodded, staring down at the ground.

Yoongi sighed and gently cupped his elbow to steer the younger towards the foot of his bed.

“People don't like to see the weak grow stronger.”

The mint haired prince gestured for Taehyung to take a seat on his sheets but Taehyung started to vigorously shake his head.

“Your highness, I--”

Yoongi raised an eyebrow.

“I mean, Prince Yoongi… I'm not… I shouldn't sit on your bed. I don't deserve that honor.”

“Taehyung you are hurt,” Yoongi answered in a clipped tone, clearly done with Taehyung's reasoning. “I saw the way you limped just now, and those rope burns on your wrists need to be treated immediately. Not to mention the bruises…”

Yoongi swallowed roughly and Taehyung felt his eyes prickle.

“Sir Jeon, retrieve bandages from that cupboard over there, and a wet rag. Also, bring the salve that's set next to the bandages.”

“It's probably really expensive salve,” Taehyung muttered with a frown.

“Hush,” Yoongi told him with a pat to his thigh. “I have more than enough.”

Taehyung closed his mouth and decided to just let the prince do whatever he needed to. The pain around his wrists was starting to burn now that the adrenaline was wearing off, and the throbbing in his ankle didn't make things any better.

Jungkook returned with items and Yoongi immediately set to work.

He started by cleaning the raw skin circling Taehyung's wrists, and then gently applied the salve all over it. It made Taehyung feel a tingling relief as soon as it touched his skin. He couldn’t keep his eyes off of all of the Prince’s movements, wondering why he was doing it himself and not calling a servant.  

After wrapping the bandages around both wrists, Yoongi sat back a bit and asked Jungkook to pass a small pitcher of oil that sat atop the vanity on the other side of the room.

It wasn’t until then that Taehyung took the time to really look around the prince’s chambers.

The space was three times the size of Taehyung’s small servant’s quarters, and there was a large window along the adjacent wall that had a stunning view of the garden below. It made Taehyung wonder how the prince didn’t hear all of the commotion outside, but he did look like he had just started to settle for the day, so maybe he wasn’t even in this part of the castle until a couple of minutes ago.

Taehyung’s eyes wondered around the rest of the room. Some of the linens and decorations were predictable for someone of royalty, but the small smattering of magical items and dusty scrolls were so undeniably Yoongi.

“Thank you, Sir Jeon,” Yoongi said once the small pitcher was placed into his hands.

Jungkook bowed and backed up, watching carefully from the door as Yoongi poured some of the oil into the palm of his left hand and rubbed both hands together.

“This is just a small spell to help the wounds heal faster,” he explained, noticing the curious gleam in Taehyung’s eyes.

“W-Will it hurt?” Taehyung asked, voice full of hesitance.

Prince Yoongi chuckled, and Taehyung tried to not focus on the tattoos that dipped down past the waist of his pants, or the wisps of green hair that fell into his piercing eyes.

“No, it’s actually quite relaxing. You’ll feel a warm sensation at first but don’t be alarmed.”

“Okay.”

Taehyung patiently sat and waited as Yoongi closed his eyes and pressed his hands together. He mumbled a few things below his breath, too low and fast for Taehyung to hear, before parting his hands and touching them to Taehyung’s bare skin, right above the bandages.

The former thief slightly flinched at the hot feeling shooting up both of his arms, but it quickly melted into a warm hum that was surprisingly comforting. A woosh of air escaped Taehyung’s lips as the prince’s hands slowly made their way up and down his arms.

“It… It feels good,” he breathed with a smile catching on his lips. “I barely feel the pain now.”

Yoongi opened his eyes and smiled up at him as he rubbed his hands downwards again. “That’s good. It means it’s working.”

Taehyung’s smile grew. Magic was being used on him again, but this time it wasn’t for deceitful purposes. He decided he liked this side of the craft the most. The side that helped people and eased their pain.

He glanced down and noticed that most of his bruises weren’t as dark and alarming as they were before. Some had even faded to a light red blotch against his tan skin.

Yoongi was no longer whispering incantations or focusing on the cuts and bruises. In fact, he seemed to enjoy just studying Taehyung’s face while his hands continued their path. It was now a light sensation rather than just rubbing in oil for a spell, but Taehyung didn’t complain.

The prince had lovely hands, and not many could say they had the pleasure of being touched by them.

“It tickles,” he giggled softly. The prince’s sroking had gotten so feather light it now felt like a tickling sensation along Taehyung’s skin.

Yoongi paused in his ministrations. He stared up at Taehyung with parted lips and surprise in his eyes.

“I-I’m sorry, did I say something wrong?” Taehyung quickly corrected, going as far as to cover his hand with his mouth.

Yoongi carefully grabbed his wrist and pulled his hand away, a warm smile slowing making its way onto his face. “No… I was just in shock. I believe that’s the first time I’ve heard you laugh. It’s lovely.”

Taehyung’s face turned as red as the roses in the garden. “Oh.. Um… Thank you, Prince Yoongi.”

Yoongi nodded and released the grip on his wrist, while also completely removing his hands from Taehyung’s oil slicked arms all together.

“Make it your goal to laugh around me more often, understand?”

Taehyung nodded his head hurriedly, suddenly feeling like he had been tasked with something important.

“Yes, Prince Yoongi!”

Yoongi chuckled and ruffled the brunette’s hair.

Jungkook cleared his throat and the two seemed to snap out of whatever little bubble they had created. The knight's eyes carried some amusement as he stared over at them, but he made no moves to talk about what he just witnessed. Instead, Jungkook inquired about the attack.

“What should we do now, your highness? Is it safe for him to return to his quarters?”

Yoongi glanced from Jungkook to the open window and then back again. He seemed to be deep in thought. His shoulders scrunched with a hidden coil of tension before releasing with the sigh that escaped his lips.

“Yes. I will do my best to find out who has done this and punish them accordingly. For now, I will station a guard outside of Taehyung’s door to watch over him through the night. You need your rest too, Sir Jeon.”

Jungkook looked like he wanted to protest against someone else being assigned to Taehyung, even if it was for a short while, but he resigned to simply bowing in agreement.

“Yes, your highness.”

“Guards!” Prince Yoongi called.  

The two guards stationed outside quickly entered the room. They seemed somewhat perplexed by the sight of Taehyung and Yoongi on the bed while Jungkook stood stiffly by the door.

“Grab someone from the night shift and have them keep watch outside of Kim Taehyung’s living quarters. I also want a random check throughout the castle. Everyone must be accounted for. If you see anything suspicious, like a limping figure or bruised knuckles, report it back to me. Are we clear?”

“Yes, your highness!”

Taehyung continued to stare, slack jawed, as the men left the room.

“You don’t have to do all that for me!”

Yoongi turned to him with a smirk. “You’ve got quite the voice on you when you aren't being shy.”

Taehyung blushed and bit his bottom lip.

“You are my informant, Taehyung,” Yoongi said with an air of finality that left no room for argument. He stood up from the bed and held his hand out for Taehyung to take, ever the gentleman. “And everyone in this castle must respect that. A hit against you is a hit against me.”

His, Taehyung thought, with a tilt of his head. I’m the prince’s.

If his sisters saw him now he didn’t know if they would have been impressed or disgusted. Taehyung imagined them sitting on the prince’s windowsill, watching the whole exchange with sour faces and a handful of berries; like Taehyung and Prince Yoongi were one of the plays they loved to go and sneak into.

“Where does your mind go off to when you stare like that?” Yoongi’s voice suddenly invaded his mind.

Taehyung blinked a few times before shaking his head and smiling sheepishly.

“Oh! Nowhere, Prince Yoongi. Thank you for… everything.”

Yoongi nodded and let go of his hand once Taehyung was safely off of the massive bed.

“Very well then. Tomorrow will be an early day for you seeing as how I want you to start your magic lessons right away. Namjoon is a busy man but I’ll be sure to tell him to make time for you.”

Taehyung bowed and thanked the prince sincerely once again.

“Sir Jeon, take Taehyung back to his quarters, and have one of my guards accompany you.”

Jungkook hadn’t been scolded for failing to protect Taehyung, but the brunette could tell he was feeling inadequate the more the prince involved other people in the task of keeping him safe.

“As you wish, my prince.”



 

_+_



 

“You are very lucky, you know?” Jungkook said from where he stood, leaning against Taehyung’s door. He was waiting for the new guard to come and relieve him.

“Lucky?” Taehyung repeated from where he sat on his bed.

Jungkook sighed and scoffed the heel of his boots along the ground. “Yes, lucky. Someone of your rank with a royal tutor, and now a magician as a mentor? Those are privileges not even I could enjoy, and I’m the son of a nobleman.”

Taehyung frowned. He suddenly bad and it was partly because of what Jungkook just said. All his life he had been a thief, taking things that did not belong to him. He thought he left all that behind him, but Jungkook had basically insinuated that he was doing the same thing.

“I never asked for any of this,” he whispered, and it was true.

He never asked to be caught, imprisoned and given an ultimatum. That had all been the Prince’s doing.

It was Prince Yoongi who caused all this discord.

“Like I said...” Jungkook shrugged. “Lucky.”

 

 

 

 

 

Yay! Namjoon is finally introduced :D

Please tell me what you guys thought of this chapter! See you next time <3