Protect

Steal Your Heart

Hello everyone! I'm so mad at myself for taking this long to update but what's new lmaooo. It's currently 4 in the morning for me so if you see a lot of mistakes in this I am so sorry!! I did reread it multiple times so everything should be good, but I still felt the need to warn you :)

I considered making this chapter longer but I figured I already made you guys wait long enough. ENJOY ^.^


 

 

 

A gentle breeze swirled around Taehyung’s feet, kicking up dried leaves in its wake. 

He stood with his hands stretched out and his brows furrowed, concentrating hard on the bolder before him. The massive rock was covered in vines and moss. It looked like it hadn’t been moved since the beginning of time, and now Taehyung was tasked with making it disappear. 

“Concentrate.” 

“I'm trying to.” 

“Namjoon tells me you caught on quickly yesterday.” 

Taehyung let out a huff and lowered his trembling arms in defeat. “Yes well… you make me nervous Pr— Yoongi,” he shakily replied. Yoongi was sitting not too far away with his hands folded in his lap and a calculative expression on his face. He was doing his best to help Taehyung master concealing larger objects, but there was only so much he could contribute. His energy had yet to fully return, and strenuous activity made him tire fast. 

“I only have a single day to get this right,” Taehyung sighed. “Tomorrow we set out for The Kingdom of Seoul.” 

“And you will,” Yoongi assured him, using that gentle and soothing tone Taehyung had missed. “You are far stronger than you give yourself credit for.” 

Taehyung frowned harder at the bolder and Yoongi stretched out a hand towards him. 

“Come sit with me for a moment, Little Flower. I believe a break is needed for times like this.” 

“But—”

“Taehyung,” Yoongi insisted, wiggling his fingers with his hand still out. 

After taking a deep breath, Taehyung trudged over to where the future king sat waiting for him. The two hadn’t ventured far from the cottage, and from where they rested in the soft grass they could see Jungkook and Minho preparing small caravans for tomorrow.

Grasping Yoongi’s pale hand tightly, Taehyung turned away from the hustle and bustle of their companions and tried to empty his mind of all worries. Namjoon had taught him during some of his first lessons that magic could be greatly affected by one’s mood. Sitting with Yoongi like this always managed to make Taehyung feel good and warm on the inside.

“I hope you know that I am proud of you.” 

Taehyung opened his eyes as soon as the words hit him. He hadn’t even been aware they were closed in the first place, but now he was staring right at Yoongi, seeing the sincerity dancing behind his irises. 

“Proud?” Taehyung repeated, head tilting in confusion. “What is there to be proud of? I haven’t done anything to deserve something like that. I can’t even make that bolder disappear.” 

Yoongi reached up with his other hand. A twist of his wrist and flourish of his fingers suddenly produced a small daisy in his palm. He blew gently on it and they both watched it twirl into the air before tucking itself into Taehyung’s hair.

It brought back memories of a simpler time between them, and it made Taehyung smile despite the dark bags beneath his eyes. Namjoon told Yoongi to refrain from using his magic— even small spells that were as easy to him as breathing— yet here Yoongi was, breaking all the rules for Taehyung. 

It wouldn’t be the first time he did something like that. 

“This tiny challenge does not define all of your accomplishments,” Yoongi lovingly scolded him. “If everyone lived their lives in such a manner, no one would have the courage to do anything. In war things can go wrong all the time, but I don’t buckle or yield at the first sign of a struggle, and neither do my knights.” 

Taehyung still had a hint of worry on his face, but he nodded because Yoongi was right. 

“I have seen you wield magic almost as easily as I do. Sir Jeon told me about how your magic called upon the elements when you thought I was hurt. He said that was the first time since being assigned as your guard that he actually felt like you could win against him if it came down to a fight.” 

“I don’t ever want to fight Sir Jeon,” Taehyung protested with a firm shake of his head. “I’m not at all proud of what I did that day. Jungkook… he seemed terrified of me afterwards.” 

“Yes, it was dangerous and scary,” Yoongi agreed. He grabbed Taehyung’s other hand and pulled their intertwined fingers into his lap. “But it was also natural. Every witch, wizard and sorcerer alike have moments where their magic becomes too much for them, especially when they are first learning. What I want you to see is the potential. All of that magic is churning and burning inside of you, and the concealment spell can be achieved as soon as you unlock it.” 

Taehung looked down at their criss-crossed legs, unable to make eye contact all of a sudden. Yoongi always talked about magic so passionately, and Taehyung hated that he was struggling with the one thing the prince loved even more than his kingdom. 

“The problem is here,” Yoongi insisted, softly tapping Taehyung’s temple. “You are holding back because you are afraid, therefore the spell is holding back as well.” 

“I don’t want to hurt anyone with my magic,” Taehyung whispered, finally voicing the main thing that had been plaguing him all along. “I want to use it to help people.” 

“Magic can heal just as well as it can take away,” Yoongi said. “Remember all those moons ago, when I let you use the enchanted sword? You couldn’t land a strike on Zhoumi, and that was because there isn't a single violent bone in your body, Little Flower.” 

Taehyung shyly nodded, a faint blush dusting his cheeks. He forgot all about that. 

“You were meant to heal and protect,” Yoongi declared with conviction. “And this concealment spell is the only thing capable of protecting us as we cross the border.” 

When the prince put it that way, Taehyung felt an even stronger sense of duty towards mastering the spell. Not only did he want to prove to himself that Yoongi’s belief in him was worth it, he also wanted to keep everyone safe. 

They were counting on him… depending on him… 

And although he never had so much faith put on him before, he silently vowed to not break that trust. 

“I think I am ready to try again.” 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~+~

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

Morning slowly turned to evening, and after numerous water breaks and a generous lunch, Taehyung was finally able to conceal the bolder for several minutes. 

Perspiration dripped down his temples as he lowered his arms and flexed his fingers. Namjoon was right about the sun being an excellent source of energy, but now that it was sinking deeper into the darkening sky, Taehyung felt like it was getting harder and harder to maintain the cloaking spell. 

I still need to practice on a person, he thought, a little disappointed in himself for taking so long to improve. 

Their goal was to set out by noon tomorrow and reach the border by nightfall, so that the natural darkness would aid in hiding them as they crossed over. Not only did Taehyung need to master concealing living people before then, he also needed to get used to the fact that they would be on the move. It was going to be very different compared to the sedentary flowers and rocks he had been working with. 

Frustrated tears welled up in his eyes as he stared down at his trembling fingers. Yoongi’s encouraging words from earlier had only been a comfort for a short while, just long enough for Taehyung to fool himself into thinking he could actually pull this off. The prince had long since retreated back into the safe house after being scolded by Jin for over exerting himself, and Taehyung was left with his own thoughts and shortcomings. 

“I thought I might find you out here still,” a voice spoke up behind him. 

Taehyung dropped his hands and turned to stare evenly at Namjoon. 

“Did his highness send you?” 

“Prince Yoongi isn’t the only one worried about you,” the wizard sighed. He walked up to the bolder and gracefully took a seat on its mossy surface. “What are you trying to prove, Taehyung?” 

Taehyung blinked slowly at the question, finding it odd. The most obvious answer would be that he was trying to prove that he could perform the spell. Namjoon had given him a task and he wanted to get it right. It was the only way to get everyone to safety. He discussed the same thing with Yoongi that morning. 

He told Namjoon as much, but the older man shook his head. 

“I have no doubt in my mind that you want to protect us all,” he started, eyes following the line of sweat that dripped from Taehyung’s nose. “But there is a fear in your eyes that I am not used to seeing you possess when it comes to magic.” 

Taehyung took a step back. Was Namjoon able to see what Yoongi saw? Could he sense the guilt Taehyung felt over losing control?

Fear? A fear of what?” 

“Of not being able to save the prince.” 

A startled breath got caught in Taehyung’s throat, but he swallowed it down and gazed longingly at the cottage. He could see candle lights flickering inside. Everyone was probably sat around the table and going over the strategy for tomorrow one final time. He could imagine Yoongi sitting at the head of it all, sunken in eyes filled with steely resolve and frail muscles doing their best to keep him upright. 

He almost lost him for good. 

Almost lost delicate touches and flowers between pink fingertips. 

Almost lost the tickle of mint green hair against his forehead as lips collided and pulled apart. 

Almost lost the first person who believed he could be more

“All I managed to do was throw a fit,” Taehyung choked out, unable to tear his gaze away. “I nearly hurt Sir Jeon in the process, and did absolutely nothing towards getting Prince Yoongi to safety. That… that was all you.” 

“Taehyung—” 

“He wants me to rule with him when this is all over.” The brunet didn’t know if it was the right time or place to reveal such a thing, but his tongue felt heavy in his mouth and he wanted to be free of the unbearable weight. “How can I possibly sit at his side when I am this useless?” 

“Keep believing so and you just might be,” Namjoon retorted with an exasperated shake of his head. “Do you think I simply woke up one day with this magic? With this strength and faith in my abilities? Yes, my father was a renowned sorcerer and helped the royal family for hundreds of years before his ultimate demise, but I did not emerge from the womb with this gift… and neither did you, Taehyung.” 

Taehyung finally looked to Namjoon again, and he found that the wizard was smiling. 

“Like I said before, every living creature is born with at least some magic thrumming inside of them, but there are only a select few who can tap into that potential and make it their own.” 

Namjoon hopped down from the bolder and lightly waved his hand, like he was parting a curtain. 

The massive rock easily disappeared. 

“You have a fire in you I have not seen in many wielders of the craft,” Namjoon continued, there was a hopeful glint in his eyes as he turned to look at Taehyung again. “Soon these spells will come so easily to you, you’ll begin to wish for something more challenging.” 

Taehyung didn’t know if that was true, but the words were comforting to hear. He wondered why Namjoon and Yoongi had so much faith in him, and desperately wished he could see himself with their eyes.

“Thank you, Master Namjoon,” he whispered. “Does Advisor Seokjin need help preparing supper?” 

Namjoon gave him a pat on the back and started leading the way to their temporary home. “I’m sure he will. Everyone has been so busy with preparing for tomorrow, I would not be surprised if he forgot to get started on dinner.” 

The two of them walked inside to a scene almost identical to the one Taehyung imagined. The only difference was that Yoongi wasn’t sitting at the head of the table. His seat was empty, and it looked like his chair had been pushed back rather aggressively before he left.

“I take it his highness did not like the change of plans,” Namjoon asked, addressing Seokjin, Minho, Sir Sung and Jungkook, who still sat at the table. 

Jin shook his head with a heavy sigh and Taehyung curiously looked around at all of them. “What change of plans?”

“Since Prince Yoongi still does not have all of his strength back, we think it would be best for him to travel on horseback while the rest of you three go by foot,” Sir Choi spoke up. “Sir Sung and I can have a steed ready for him by tomorrow… but when we brought this up to his majesty… he didn’t respond well.” 

“Why wouldn’t he?” Taehyung asked, confused. “I admit, It will be harder for me to now practice concealing a horse as well, but this does sound like the best way to conserve Prince Yoongi’s energy.” 

“He still has his pride,” said Jungkook, who had been silent up until that point. “Prince Yoongi is not the kind of leader to let himself have the easier way while everyone else travels on foot. It probably pains him to be in such a weakened state.” 

The cottage grew quiet as everyone soaked in the honest words. Yoongi had always been a fair ruler, but there was a time and place for everything. As much as it frustrated him to be coddled like this, it was the only way they would be able to ensure he lived to see the throne. 

“Where is he?” Taehyung blurted, disrupting the stillness. 

“He chose your room to sulk in,” Seokjin huffed. 

“Jin…” Jungkook trailed off, silently scolding the advisor. 

“Don't chastise me, Sir Jeon. I won’t speak ill of our prince.” 

Taehyung left the two to softly bicker back and forth, and nodded his head in the direction of everyone else, before hesitantly approaching his closed room door.

Back at the castle, one of the first rules he broke was showing up unannounced before the Prince, but for some reason it was hard for him to muster up the courage to knock on the door now. Even though it was Taehyung’s room, he felt apprehensive about disturbing Yoongi in his current state. Could he even cheer up or encourage the prince while having his own self-doubts? 

“Come in, Taehyung,” Yoongi suddenly called out to him. “Don’t hover outside the door. I can sense you.”

Taehyung’s fingers nervously grazed the wood before pushing the door open. It was strange to know that Yoongi could sense him so easily, but he supposed it was no different from how he felt the prince’s magic slipping away during the siege of the castle. It was like watching a candle be snuffed out, and it had made him believe something terrible happened. 

Don’t think about that. He’s right in front of you. 

“If I wished to be alone I wouldn’t have come to your room,” Yoongi murmured. He was laying on his side with his legs curled up and his knees close to his chest. His back was to Taehyung and he had yet to turn around. “Do you think I am cruel enough to kick you out of your bed?” 

“No, not at all,” Taehyung answered truthfully. He slowly made his way over to the cot and sat down right next to the curled up prince. “Why are you upset?” 

“I am sure they told you already.” 

“In some ways, yes, but I want to hear it from you.” 

Yoongi let out a disgruntled sound. “How can I call myself king one day if I can’t even walk alongside my subjects? Am I so weak now that I must need extra assistance?”

Taehyung folded his legs beneath him, making sure not to jostle the prince. “You ride horseback all the time. This is no different from that.” 

“But it is,” Yoongi insisted. Taehyung could see every muscle in his back tensing up. “There is a difference between triumphantly charging into battle upon Tip’s back with all of my knights doing the same… and being the only one led along atop a random mare because I am simply too frail to keep up.” 

“No one sees you in that way,” Taehyung assured him. “Everyone thinks you are very brave.”

“You say that to comfort me,” Yoongi fought back. 

“No, I only say it because it’s true.” 

Silence wrapped around them like a vice and Taehyung stared at Yoongi’s back in concern. He wanted to build up the prince’s belief in himself, just like how his majesty was able to do for him earlier, but magic was the essence of Yoongi’s entire being. He didn’t have it all back yet. He wasn’t whole. 

“Lay next to me.” 

The sudden request startled Taehyung. He laid beneath the stars with Yoongi before, out in the open air with a camp of knights not too far away, but they never shared the same bed. There were the times when the Prince was sick and unconscious, but to Taehyung that didn't count. Yoongi had barely felt alive then.

Even last night, Taehyung and the prince had stayed up talking for as long as they could before retreating to their separate rooms. 

“It's not an order,” Yoongi clarified, probably taking Taehyung’s silence the wrong way. “You can deny me.” 

“I don’t want to deny you.” Taehyung’s words rushed out all in one breath, and he quickly laid down in the empty spot next to Yoongi. The cot was barely big enough to fit the both of them, but he loved the closeness. He liked that he could feel Yoongi’s every inhale and exhale. He liked the warmth his back radiated. 

“Taehyung?” 

“Yes?”

“Are you afraid to touch me?” 

Taehyung blinked up at the ceiling with a flush across his cheeks. “A little… yes.” 

The cot groaned and shifted as Yoongi turned around, his back facing the wall now. At first Taehyhung didn’t dare stop looking up, but then a gentle caress was tilting his chin to the side and causing him to look right into storm gray eyes. 

“I have touched these lips with my own,” Yoongi whispered, his thumb lightly trailing along Taehyung’s mouth. “Yet you still fear me Little Flower?” 

Looking directly at Yoongi this close, Taehyung felt hypnotized. The man barely had any of his magic back, but it was like he had cast a spell on Taehyung; one that made the younger’s heart beat as fast as hummingbird wings.

“You are still my prince,” Taehyung reasoned. “And you are soon to be my king. I can’t just touch you whenever I please.” 

Yoongi grinned and scooted closer, making Taehyung’s eyes widen. “Those titles will never separate you from me,” he promised. “Courting me means moments like this. Moments in which we can touch freely, away from the prying eyes of others.” 

“Is that what we are doing?” Taehyung whispered back. “Courting?”

This time, Yoongi’s smile was more endeared than teasing. “I often forget this is all new to you.” 

Taehyung felt his ears burn with embarrassment at the comment, but the most carefree laugh he had ever heard Yoongi utter in a long while finally left the prince’s lips, and that alone made it all worth it. 

“Red suits you well, my Little Rose,” Yoongi cooed, placing several kisses along Taehyung’s cheeks and a few on the tips of his ears. 

The younger’s entire face felt like it had been touched by a thousand butterflies, and he quickly leaned forward to hide himself in Yoongi’s chest. An arm wrapped around his middle and pulled him closer, making him reach out on instinct to do the same. In that moment, Taehyung realized there was no other place on earth that could make him feel so safe. 

How could Yoongi ever call himself weak or frail? 

To Taehyung, he was as strong as a mountain, standing tall and proud as it watched over all the people below. He peeked up at Yoongi with one eye and saw that the Prince’s eyes were closed in content; like all of his worries managed to disappear simply because Taehyung was in his arms.

“Rest your eyes now, Little Flower,” he suddenly spoke, probably sensing the way Taehyung watched him. The younger loved the feeling of Yoongi’s voice rumbling deep within his chest. It made him snuggle further into his embrace. “You will need your energy for tomorrow.” 

A tattooed hand buried itself in Taehyung’s hair, and the former thief sighed at the heavenly feeling of Yoongi massaging his scalp and running careful fingers through brown locks.

Tomorrow was going to be a busy day, and there was no guarantee Seoul’s queen would even agree to their terms, but Taehyung closed his eyes and let his drowsiness push away all of the negative thoughts. 

“Goodnight, Yoongi.” 

He received a sweet, half-asleep hum in reply. 

 

 

 

 

 


 

AHHHH I LOVE WRITING TAEGI BEING SO SAPPY SWEET IN THIS FIC I DON'T KNOW WHY I EVER MADE THEM ANGSTY

Like it? Hate it? Let me know! Thank you to everyone who has commented on all of the previous chapters so far, I really do love y'all!! It took waaay too long to get this chapter out and I hope I can whip up the next one quickly ;)

 

twitter: @taedayz

cc: @taedayz 

 

*my ao3 username is also "visbaeallday" and I tend to interact with my comments more over there so if you guys would like to sbscribe to me on that site as well please do!!