Chapter 2

Getting to Know You

It’s the waiting that’s killing Jonghyun The suspense as he stands in front of everyone and looks down the aisle, waiting for whomever to walk through the doors. Jonghyun has been studying the left side of the audience. It’s where the family of his soon-to-be-spouse is sitting. They are all staring at him with mixed expressions. Most of them seemed pleased however, gifting him with sweet smiles and even thumbs-up from some of the younger kids. Jonghyun is happy to see that they all look welcoming. It definitely calms his nerves a bit.

But he knows it’s not those people he is going to vow to today. It is not those people who he will be taking home and starting the rest of their lives together. The people staring back at him now are not who he is going to promise to love and to cherish from this day forth.

No. It’s the person he’s still waiting on to walk through the door.

Jonghyun has never wished for time to move faster in his life than he does at this moment.

Hurry up hurry up hurry up.

Please I want to see who you are.

Kibum hears the music that is their cue to walk. He sees Jinki and Taemin disappear in front of him. He knows that he should be following. But somehow he can’t get his legs to move.

He’s frozen.

What if the person hates me? What if I’m completely not their type? I don’t even know if the person is a male or female. Oh god oh god oh god…

I can’t do this.

Kibum wants to run away. He wants to go back into his room and take off his hideous blue shoes and lie down on the couch and cry. He wants to cry because he has no idea what is waiting for him at the end of the alter and he is deathly afraid that today will be the start of something terrible. He’s heard stories of those who’ve entered an arranged marriage. He knows of the divorce rate and the violence and the lack of communication. That’s not what he wants in his marriage. Kibum wants love and adventure and understanding. But what if he’s going about everything all wrong.

I should have just met someone the normal way and fallen in love. Isn’t that how things normally work?

Kibum still hears the music playing inside the chapel. How long has he been standing there?

He’s still frozen.

I can’t do this. I thought I was ready.

It’s not time.

Kibum finally gains control of his limbs and turns away from the entrance. He never in a million years thought he would be a runaway groom. But all it takes is one step and Kibum is sure he will never stop running. Just one step.

But as Kibum begins to move, to take that one step, a hand grabs his wrist.

“Wait.”

Once the pianist begins to play the first notes of the Wedding March Jonghyun’s mind immediately starts racing. He remembers his father telling him how he should wait at the altar, calm and with a smile. Jonghyun definitely isn’t supposed to be rocking back and forth on his heels, nor should he be biting his lower lip again. But he can’t help it.

He sees two figures begin walking down the aisle. He knows neither of them are the one.

They’re way too calm. Meanwhile I’m worse than a bundle of nerves.

When the two reach the altar they give Jonghyun friendly smiles and it takes all of Jonghyun’s will not to pester them with questions. But he sets his mind on watching who will enter through the doors next.

He’s waiting.  

It’ll be any moment now.

The music keeps playing and somehow Jonghyun starts to get even more nervous because now everyone is focusing on the entrance, but no one is walking through it.

Then the whispers start.

“What’s going on?”

“What’s taking so long?”

“Did they get cold feet?”

Jonghyun look at the two men beside him who just walked in and they’re in deep conversation. One of them is even motioning with his hands to emphasize whatever it is he’s saying. The scene does nothing to calm his nerves. With wide eyes, Jonghyun looks at his father sitting in the front row.

“Calm down. Everything will be okay,” the man mouths to Jonghyun.

How do you know? No one knows. What is going on?

“I’m going after him. He’s right outside the door.” Jonghyun hears one of the men beside him say.

Him? Right outside the door?

Jonghyun can’t wait anymore. And if the man he’s been waiting on is just a few steps away then all it’s going to take is those few steps to finally slow down his racing heart.

Before the other man has a chance to move, Jonghyun is running down the aisle to the door. He ignores all the screams and shouts of confusion that are yelled out to him.

He’s right outside the door.

Jonghyun could’ve sworn he was a faster runner, but the moments it takes him to reach the door seem like forever. And when he steps out into the hallway everything stops.

All he sees is the backside of a man.

It’s him. Oh god it’s him.

Jonghyun feels all the breath leave his body as he stares at the figure standing in front of him. The man has yet to even notice that Jonghyun is there.

What do I do? Do I reach out to him? What is he thinking?

Just as Jonghyun’s mind starts to wander, he sees the man move. The first movement since he’s been watching him. Jonghyun loses himself in the movement for a moment. Until…

  No. He’s facing the wrong way. He’s leaving. No!

Jonghyun does the first thing that comes to his mind. He reaches for the stranger and grabs his wrist.

“Wait.”

Please don’t leave.

I’ve been waiting for you.