Chapter 1

Getting to Know You

Jonghyun stares at himself in the mirror. His tie cannot get any straighter. His hair has been painstakingly styled. His tuxedo is completely void of any loose stiches. Everything is perfect for today. But Jonghyun can’t stop himself from biting his bottom lip in anticipation. There’s no telling how today will end.

“Stop biting your lips, son. It’s your wedding day. You want to kiss with those lips?” Jonghyun watches in the mirror as his father appears behind him, a smile on the elder’s lips as Jonghyun stops nibbling on his own.

“Is it okay for me to be nervous?” Jonghyun turns around to his father who immediately moves to “fix” Jonghyun’s tie, though Jonghyun had already made sure millions of times that it was perfect. Everything has to be perfect.

“You’re not having second thoughts about this are you?” Jonghyun is shocked by the disappointment in his father’s tone, even though he said nothing to warrant such a reaction. Jonghyun is suddenly afraid to look at his father. Afraid the man might mistake is anxiety for doubt.

“No, dad. It’s just I know nothing about this person you and mom picked for me. I mean, I know whoever they are must be nothing short of amazing. But it’s still pretty nerve-wracking you know?”

“Everything will be fine. You know this is how your mother and I met. And look how far we’ve come.”

“I know dad. You guys are the only reason I’m so comfortable with this.” Unable to stop himself, Jonghyun starts to bite his lower lip again.

Mr. Kim lifts up Jonghyun’s chin so that they are looking each other in the eye. His firm gaze penetrating Jonghyun’s unsure one.

“Don’t worry Jonghyun. You’re going to make a great husband. Your mother and I have made sure of that.” Mr. Kim steps away from Jonghyun and gives him an encouraging smile.

“Will you at least tell me the gender dad?”  Jonghyun slumps over like a child once the two break eye contact.

“And ruin the surprise?” Jonghyun’s dad leaves him alone again, chuckling on his way out. Jonghyun just sighs at the man’s behavior.

Well it was worth one final shot. Jonghyun’s parents have been hell bent on keeping everything about his future spouse a complete mystery to Jonghyun. Jonghyun hasn’t managed to get so much as a single syllable regarding the person

“Well today is the day. No more waiting.” Jonghyun encourages himself out loud. He really wishes, his father had stayed in the room with him as he waits for his best man to come and tell him it’s time.

Where is Minho anyway?

“Hey Jonghyun?”

Speak of the devil. Jonghyun turns around to greet the person he’s been so eager to see all morning.

“Yeah Minho?”

“It’s time,” Minho says with a smile. Jonghyun takes a deep breath and walks out of his waiting room alongside his best man.

It’s time.

“My hair is a mess! My shoes are a mess! Everything is a mess! I can’t go out like this! Oh my god the wedding starts in 30 minutes! What the hell am I supposed to do??!?!?”

“Calm the down Kibum why don’t you? That would be a great start.” Kibum glares at Taemin who is just playing a game on his phone. Not giving any thought about the crisis he helped create on one of the most important days of Kibum’s life so far.

“Taemin you shut the up. This is partly your fault anyway.” Kibum kicks the leg of the chair Taemin is leaning back in, hoping to make him fall. Taemin is too quick however and stands, avoiding an embarrassing moment that would’ve satisfied Kibum to no end.

“I told you to make Jinki do it, but noooo ‘You’re my best man You have to’. Even though you know I forget things.” Taemin points an accusing finger at Kibum while pocketing his phone. Kibum hopes that threatening Taemin’s life finally makes him realize that Kibum’s problems must be attended to and properly addressed. Taemin could’ve hit his head pretty badly had he fallen with the chair. And Kibum doesn’t gives one at the moment.

“Well this is one thing you should have never let yourself forget, you ! It’s my wedding day!”

“Big deal. I’m sure there will be more to come.” As soon as the words leave Taemin’s mouth Kibum picks up a brush and aims for Taemin’s head. Luckily Taemin had enough sense to duck.

“That’s it you’re out. GET OUT!”

“Kibum calm down. I’m sure everyone can hear you now.”

“I don’t ing care!” Suddenly Kibum stops and sits on the edge of the table in his room. He rubs his hand across his face in frustration. When he speaks next all the anger in his voice is gone. “Today is nothing but a disaster.” Kibum groans in defeat. There’s nothing he can do. The wedding is in 25 minutes now. He can’t get another stylist and he can’t order a new pair of shoes and where the hell is Jinki?

“Kibum listen to me. Your hair looks fine. You can’t even tell that your shoes are blue instead of black. Jinki went to pick up the rings and should be back any second. Everything is going to be fine.”

“Okay?” Kibum just nods, not trusting himself to speak. Afraid that one noise will escape him and he’d end up screaming again, or worse, crying and ruining his makeup.

“Breathe please.” Taemin speaks again, closer this time, and Kibum listens. Not even aware he had stopped breathing in the first place. He doesn’t know why he’s acting like this.

Kibum grips Taemin’s hands tightly as he breathed slowly to calm himself down. He knows he might be overreacting just a tad bit. But today is something he has waited for nearly his entire life and excuse him for wanting everything to go smoothly, wonderfully, perfect. So what he didn’t know who would be waiting for him at the alter? He wanted to make whoever it was swoon the moment they laid eyes on him.

But how the was he supposed to do that wearing blue shoes with a black tuxedo?

Taemin and his forever wandering, selfish, mind.

After a minute or two Kibum feels calm enough to let go of Taemin and stand back up. He checks his appearance in the mirror, glad that not a tear had escaped to mess up his flawless face. Kibum chuckles at his obvious confidence in himself. 

“Where the hell is Jinki? He should be back by now?” Kibum hears Taemin wondering aloud to himself and starts to panic. What if Jinki got lost? What if he couldn’t find the rings? What if the wedding gets called off? What if –

“Kibum?” What if Kibum styled his hair wrong? What is he trips walking down the aisle? What if –

“Kibum?” What if –

“Kibum!”

Kibum snaps out of his doubtful thoughts to look at who called him. His heart stops beating the moment he sees Jinki.

“It’s time.” It’s all Jinki says before he smiles and turns back around to leave. Kibum is speechless for a moment before he gathers himself.

Holy this is it. But wait…

“Jinki you er! What took you so long? Do you even have the rings? Jinki don’t walk away from me. Hey!”

“Kibum shut up. Everything is fine. You have to line up to walk now so be quiet.” Taemin’s voice once again calms Kibum down for the nth tie that morning and Kibum smiles.

This really is it. I’m getting married today.