#4: Future (Part 2)

Boomerang

 

 

 

(Flashback on)

"Chanyeol, are you serious about us?"

 

"I'm deadly serious, angel. Don't believe me much? I told you that I'm going to get married if it is with you, Soo."

 

"Exaggerating much, hmm?"

 

"I'm not. You know that I'm a perfectionist and you're perfect in every way. Why should I ask for more if God loves me so much that He sent me one of his angels to be my future?"

 

"You're unbelievable, Sajangnim."

(Flashback off) 

 

~

 

 

 

For Chanyeol, everything should be in their perfect state. Ever since he knew that he has grown up as one of those chaebol, he started to have thirst towards perfection. His family is wealthy and famous enough. Having only an older sister that lives in Nice with her little family makes him the only one to get showered by attention and he enjoys his life. He is tall and handsome as without needing any plastic surgery. He attended those most prestigious alma maters and graduated with the perfect reputation. He has beauty and he has brain. What else that makes boys envy him and girls beg for his attention?

 

But the definition of perfect for Chanyeol is broader than the ocean. So people are quite difficult to find the red string about what Chanyeol fonds of, not excepting his dating partners. He dated his college's classmate and also his father's secretary, Byun Baekhyun who is pretty with the S-line body and flawless fair skin perfected by all girly and colorful stuffs. Broke up with Baekhyun, he dated that famous member of girl group, Kwon Yuri, who has rather tanned-skin and tomboyish personality. He even had been really close with another chaebol who was five years older. So when he announced his relationship with his petite and adorable employee, Do Kyungsoo, people did not question it more eventhough they still judge that the couple were not quite right to be together. For Chanyeol, this Do Kyungsoo was perfect in her own way.

 

"She has just discharged from hospital in Jeju after 5 days of being hospitalized. She was in great exhaustion and under pressure when he was brought there. It is said that Kyungsoo-ssi has got infected by hepatitis b virus since more than 6 months ago. So her condition will be worse when she forces her body too much for work or is being stressful. Unfortunately, her liver is quite in trouble now for doing its function properly due to the lack of attention these past months. The only good news is she is still able to avoid the liver cancer by taking some medical treatments."

 

Chanyeol is in his office room, eyeing some documents like medical records in front of him while still listening to his most trusted cousin, Kim Jongdae, who is giving detail information he asked him on the other line. It has been a while since he asked his Jongdae hyung to give him a favor related to Kyungsoo. He was in a great help for Chanyeol in monitoring her ex's activities in Jeju, making sure that she was suffering with all the bustling things related to his cafe. Chanyeol was actually in hope that Kyungsoo paid his broken heart. He was in attempt to make the workaholic Kyungsoo immerse in her job without having much time to spend in a serious relationship with someone.

 

However, he ended to keep eyes on Kyungsoo since he met Luhan and started dating her. Luhan miraculously made Chanyeol move on and let her past behind. He even chose to stay in Beijing and monitor his company from there. He would go to Korea only if there were important meeting or problems that needed him to handle.

 

He thought that he had made Kyungsoo pay him enough by exiling her to Jeju, far from her family and beloved friends with tons of new duties. Now, the fact that Kyungsoo has paid him too much makes him feel even more broken inside. He blindly took all the love from Kyungsoo's life and replaced it by misery and sickness. To say that he is guilty is understatement. He does not know how to describe himself now. A jerk? ing bastard? A heartless killer? ! He unconsciously ushered someone to be nearer to death. And to make it worse, that someone is his angel whom he loves so much, even until this moment.

 

 

~

 

 

"Kyungsoo? Are you sleeping?" Kyungsoo can hear her mom's voice behind the door softly and rather hesitated.

 

"Aniya, eomma."

 

Her mom opens her room's door before smiling to her beautifully. "Am I bothering you, honey?"

 

Kyungsoo shakes her head repeatedly. "What is it, eomma?"

 

"You have visitors, Kyungie."

 

Kyungsoo furrows her brows and looks at her mother with puzzled. Without waiting for Kyungsoo's words, Mrs. Do opens the door wider to reveal her visitors. She is surprised to see Mr. Park and his wife entering the room with wide smile, only comes from Mr. Park though.

 

"Oh, sajangnim, samonim. Annyeonghasimnikka?" Kyungsoo is trying to adjust her position on the bed to greet them properly. It's been three days since she discharged from hospital but she still feels weak to do much movement.

 

"It's oke, Kyungsoo. You don't have to wake up." Mr. Park rushes to her and help her to lay down again.

 

"No, it's oke, sajangnim. It's impolite to greet you like this."

 

Without having more words, Mr. Park is helping Kyungsoo to sit while his wife is still standing behind him with stoic face and her mother is placing a chair near the bed.

 

"Please have a seat, Samonim." Kyungsoo hears her mom inviting Mrs. Park to sit before she asks for leaving.

 

"I apologize for greeting you improperly, Sajangnim, Samonim." Kyungsoo bows lightly.

 

Mr. Park is sitting on one side of the bed while his wife is on the chair.

 

"It's nothing to be apologized, Kyungsoo. This is enough for us. Besides, you're still recovering. It's impossible for you to do some welcome dances, right?"

 

Kyungsoo giggles at her sajangnim's attempt to make her feel better. Mr. Park is indeed a great man.

 

"How are you, sajangnim? I hope sajangnim and samonim will always be in great condition."

 

"Ya! That's our line Kyungsoo. We should be the ones who ask you that." Kyungsoo once again was amused by this old man. She is now even laughing along with her boss. "How are you feeling now, Kyungsoo?"

 

"I feel much better, sajangnim. Thank you for your concern." Kyungsoo smiles sincerely. She does feel better knowing that the man she respects so much is worrying over her condition although Mrs. Park does not look care at all. "When did you come back from Macau?"

 

"Just yesterday. And I was so surprised to know that one of my best employees quit to work together with me."

 

Kyungsoo feels guilty taking her heart. "Forgive me, sajangnim. Honestly, working as your employee is one of the best things in my life. Taste it! is like my second home, my other family. We're working well through these years and I was having so much fun and love." Kyungsoo takes a deep breath before she continues, "but now I'm not as compatible as before, Sir. I couldn't work well since I need to take a bed rest and lessen my activities for some times."

 

"I've heard about your condition from your mom and I feel sorry about that. You must be experiencing hard times managing the cafe in Jeju-do."

 

"No, don't be, Sir. It's part of my job and I enjoyed it, really. It's probably I just forced myself and my condition is not as well as before so my sickness is kind of warning me."

 

Mr. Park heaves a sigh. He then takes Kyungsoo's hand to be held on tightly. "Kyungsoo, you know that I have regarded you as my own daughter. You are such a nice girl. Your parents are blessed to have you." He Kyungsoo's hand very gently. The passionate act brings Kyungsoo the urge to cry. She realizes that her eyes are now glistening.

 

"I really hope that you are going to recover very soon and be amazing as before. If you need to work again with me, then I will be glad to accept you with open arms."

 

At this moment, Kyungsoo is not be able to hold her tears anymore. Her pale cheeks are now a bit red and wet. Seeing the girl in front of her in this state, Mr. Park comes closer to comfort her with the warmest embrace he can give. He even Kyungsoo's hair and lands some sweet pecks on her head. After some 'thank you's from Kyungsoo and 'it's okay's from Mr. Park, the old man in his suit asks for leave.

 

"You're going to be healthy soon, Kyungsoo. So don't give up, OK?" He once again Kyungsoo's hair and kisses her forehead. "Come on, yeobo." He asks her wife.

 

"Yeobo, can you wait me downstair. I have few words to say to Kyungsoo." After only be an audience for the last moments, she suddenly announces that she needs some times with Kyungsoo. The younger actually feels a bit scared and confused at the same time. After all, the beautiful lady never showed any liking towards her since the news he broke Chanyeol's heart emerged.

 

Mr. Park does not ask any question hence he goes out of the room and obidiently waiting her wife downstairs. On the other side, Kyungsoo feels shivers down her spine by the look Mrs. Park is giving her. She actually does not know what will the woman say to her. Will she curse at her? Or laughing her off at Kyungsoo's punishment from God after hurting her only son?

 

"Could you tell me the actual reason for you to break my son's heart?"

 

Kyungsoo is dumbfounded by the question. Never in her life to think that the mother of her ex boyfriend will ask such question after a year they broke up. But Mrs. Park is always as straightforward as Kyungsoo knows.

 

"I... I beg your forgiveness for what I did to Chanyeol, Samonim. I really didn't mean to hurt him." Kyungsoo tries to look at Chanyeol's mother in the eyes.

 

"I don't ask your apology. I ask the reason, Kyungsoo." Her voice is firm and it sounds like a command for Kyungsoo.

 

"I..." Kyungsoo is biting her bottom lip, struggling whether to tell her the real reason or come up with any excuses. Mrs. Park is still waiting for her answer though and she finds the stare ask her to just tell the truth.

 

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Park." Kyungsoo bows her head. "I believe that you've already known about me having some virus on my blood. I just don't want anyone especially Chanyeol to have the same situation because of me. I will involuntarily kill myself if I ever do that. Chanyeol is a great man so he needs the best in his life including his future wife."

 

Tears once again roll down her face but the view at this moment looks more heartbreaking. It looks like she tries not to show how hurt she is too. She is crying even harder when she feels arms around her body.

 

"Do you still love Chanyeol, Kyungsoo?" Mrs. Park's voice is now more gentle than she ever heard. She is Kyungsoo's hair till her back. She rolls down some tears too when she feels the girl in her arms nodding her head.

 

"Oh, dear."

 

For some reasons, Mrs. Park feels her heart tightening.

 

 

~

 

 

Kyungsoo is more than happy. Heck, she is over the moon. Right at the moment, the love of her life is back-hugging her. Her beloved Park Chanyeol is embracing her with love. He is going to cry now because of happiness. Only for this time she does not want to think that this is just a dream. She misses her silly yet romantic Chanyeol. She was mad at Chanyeol but she never gets to hate the man. Kyungsoo never easily falls for someone. She has been in relationship before but Chanyeol was the first who gave her feeling insecure and the need to be loved more. He was the first who makes her hungry for attention.

 

A ray of sunlight greets her warmly as usual. But something is off. The feeling is different from any other day. She unbelievably feels protected? She opens her eyes slowly only to find a pair of muscular arms trap her from behind.

 

"Oh My Gosh." She immediately gets her body up, making the owner of those hands pull them back. Kyungsoo widens her already-wide eyes when she realizes that she was not dreaming.

 

"Chan-Chanyeol? Wh-what..."

 

"Hello, angel." The man in front of her offers her the sweetest smile she has ever seen. Kyungsoo feels like crying because God knows how much she misses the most favorite deep voice of her.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes wander around the room, shocked all over her face. It's still her room in her parents' house. She looks again at Chanyeol, without taking her eyes off of him, she pinches her right cheek until shriek can be heard from .

 

"Ya! What are you doing?" Chanyeol rubs her abused cheek gently. Kyungsoo could not move even for a bit now. Her body gets numb.

 

For few seconds they only look at each other's eyes. Chanyeol seems to tell Kyungsoo that the love for her is still there. He stops rubbing Kyungsoo's cheek but moves closer to connect his lips with Kyungsoo's. The kiss does not involve any movement but it is enough to make Chanyeol contented. He is even shedding tears and closing his eyes to savour the moment. It does not need a genius to tell that the CEO is longing for this moment to happen.

 

Kyungsoo comes to her sense when she feels something wet on her lips. Chanyeol is starting to deepen the kiss. Without any longer, she pushes Chanyeol with all might she has to untie the connection. A hand then lands on Chanyeol left cheek.

 

Kyungsoo still remembers the face Chanyeol gave her the last time she slapped him when they broke up. It was flushed red, eyes like a hawk in hunting its prey. It was full of anger. But this time, Kyungsoo sees ... sadness?

 

Kyungsoo can feel her body is hugged by Chanyeol, very tightly. She even can sense the feeling of love and longing wafting from the man who is now whispering apologize like a mantra. Kyungsoo is trying to get away but fails because she is still weak and Chanyeol is so strong. She can't help but feels pathetic.

 

Chanyeol finally can feel Kyungsoo stop struggling. But he also can feel his shirt getting wet. Kyungsoo is crying. For the umpteenth time he feels horrible for making his angel cry. Slowly, Chanyeol finds his happiness when Kyungsoo's hands are around his waist. Kyungsoo finally reciprocates his act. He then realizes that they never get rid the connection between them, the love that they had once has never been gone.

 

"I miss you, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo's voice is hoarse. "I really miss you."

 

Chanyeol tightens the hug. "You won't believe how much I feel the same, Soo. I was lost since you left me."

 

"I-am s-sorry, Chanyeol." Hiccups. "I didn't mean to break your heart. I never did." Hiccups.

 

 

~

 

 

It is another afternoon in spring and the view is beautifully clear outside. Fortunately, Kyungsoo's parents' house is not so far from the infamous Ilsan Lake Park so here they are, enjoying the awkwardness in the middle of flowers blossoming so prettily.

 

After Kyungsoo and Chanyeol's unpredictable cuddling session on Kyungsoo's bed, the latter asks her rather insistedly to accompany him waiting for the sunset in the park. He even piggyback her on the way there because Kyungsoo still cannot move much and it successfully put them in awkward feeling like right now.

 

They are sitting on the grass next to each other under a maple tree. The water in front of them brings calmness to every person coming here. The park is not as quiet as they thought because it is spring and it is afternoon. Some people probably wants to capture some beauty from the upcoming sunset. They are fortunate enough to find a rather quiet place than the others in hope Kyungsoo and him will get a precious moment to talk their heart out instead the awkwardness lingers longer than he thought.

 

"Ehm..." It's Chanyeol who clears his throat. "It's the first time for me coming here. The view is definitely beautiful."

 

Kyungsoo diverts his gaze to Chanyeol. Her ex is still amazingly attractive like the first time she knew him as the heir of her workplace. The man is tall. He is handsome. He is charismatic even only in a pair of black jeans and white sweater. He is perfect. She feels small and unworthy to sit down side by side with this perfection. Her sweat pants and pororo hoodie covering her pale skin and skinny body obviously make people question in their mind what is an ugly person like her doing with the man?

 

"Kyungsoo, are you alright?" She hears Chanyeol deep voice again. She always love Chanyeol's voice and the worry on it makes her fall even more.

 

Kyungsoo answers Chanyeol with a nod. Her hand is taken gently by Chanyeol and he links their fingers. He kisses the back of her hand passionately until Kyungsoo can see Chanyeol closing his eyes. The memories of them together in the past come in a flash. It makes her heart being squeezed by invisible thing that the feeling is not the same as it was.

 

Chanyeol looks her right on the eyes. "Are you feeling better now, angel? Are you tired?"

 

Kyungsoo shakes her head. She gives Chanyeol her heart-shaped smile that Chanyeol like the most of her. "Never been better."

 

Chanyeol requites the smile with his toothy grin.

 

"Why are you here, Sajangnim?"

 

Chanyeol knows she is not being rude by asking him that question. He could see curiousity on her pale face.

 

"I long for seeing my angel, can't I? And, did I tell you to drop the formalities and call me Chanyeol instead?"

 

Kyungsoo chuckles seeing the cool Chanyeol turns into a baby with pouty lips.

 

"Aren't you embarrassed pouting like this?" Kyungsoo pinches Chanyeol's lips ever so slighty. It surprisingly brings back the awkwardness. The both realize that the situation like this was one of their habbits in the past. For a moment, there are only a chattering sounds of people from a far and the breeze blowing around them.

 

"Soo-ya, will you forgive me? Will you forgive my sins to you?"

 

Kyungsoo only tilts her head in confusion hearing Chanyeol is so guilty.

 

"I'm sorry for being the worst bastard ever to give you hard times for the past year. I sent you to Jeju and even made you busier with loads of duty there. I'm sorry I ignored your wish to stay still in Seoul, I scolded you from complaining. I'm a jerk who was not listening to any reasons of you trying to explain. I even just know about your sickness."

 

Kyungsoo is already in a mess now, crying without thinking to hold back. She wants to be selfish for now. She wants Chanyeol to know that she still loves him so much. She wants to hug the giant like the old days they enjoyed each other's love in an amazing relationship. So, she does what her heart told her. She throws herself to the lean body and burries her face deep in his neck, making it wet but that is something Chanyeol does not mind at all.

 

"I'm sorry Chanyeol" Kyungsoo mutters in between her wails. "I love you. I love you so much that it hurts. I couldn't move on and it is even killing myself slowly by pushing you from the life I have. I'm the here. I'm the coward. I'm sorry. I-I..." Her speech is now replaced by another wail. She hiccups many time too.

 

Chanyeol does not cut her off. He keeps listening and 'shush'-ing. He hugs back the fragile girl as tight as he can but not in the rate of suffocating her, her every now and then. He is trying to tell her that it is not even her fault in the first place.

 

Chanyeol remembers the last time he cut Kyungsoo off causes him a fistful of guilt in his heart. He guesses that Kyungsoo was about to tell about her sickness that day but he chose to shut her up by cursing and saying bad words to her, judging her with the most regretful words he ever gave. And now, the pain in his heart is bigger than ever, imagining that his beloved angel must be suffering the more painful situation by having the sickness and taking all the bad treatment from him and his mother. Yeah, Chanyeol was aware all along that her mother did not ever give Kyungsoo a nice deed even once related to their broke up, but he let her be.

 

Kyungsoo pulls her body to let them see each other's face. She brings both her hands to touch Chanyeol's face and cup his cheeks, rubs them lovingly, meanwhile Chanyeol brings his hands to make the soft hands stay there. He kisses her right palm then move to the left. He has never left Kyungsoo's face. He is mesmerized by those swolen eyes, those red cheeks because of crying to much, even the snot coming down from her nose. How can be a person still beautiful after wailing?

 

"Can I be selfish now, Chan? Can I have you as part of my life for the second time? Are you still going to get married if it's only with me?"

 

Chanyeol is speechless. Kyungsoo sounds so heartbreaking and Chanyeol does not find a right way to react. His brain freezes. He did not learn any of this situation in schools. His parents have not taught him about this before. Kyungsoo does not have to be this broken to get his attention and love back. She does not need to beg to mend the relationship that once broken. He told her he would get married only with her and the statement was not a joke he told to entertain her. The promise has never been a joke.

 

He then can hear Kyungsoo chuckling. She let her hands down and Chanyeol does not forbid her. He is about to answer her questions but not fast enough that Kyungsoo say something first that makes his heart feel a pang.

 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. Please forget what I did, Chanyeol. I'm sorry." She wipes her face while facing down her lap. She then takes a deep breath and clears , trying to gain herself back.

 

"Soo, why? I- I don't understand. How..."

 

Kyungsoo bravely faces Chanyeol. "That was me being silly and dumb. For a moment I forgot that you have chosen your future wife and you're going to get married soon. I'm glad you choose the right path. I'm contented to know that you feel loved and all happy with her. You're a great man Chanyeol, and you deserve the best things."

 

"No way!" Chanyeol grabs her shoulder and hugs her once again. "You are the best for me, Soo. I love you until now. I can never get rid of this feeling for you. I'm sorry that the anger took over me once that make you all suffered. I could be regret it throughout my life. But I promise to pay it by spending my life with you, by taking care of you and protecting you. I made a mistake to not try to keep you by my side and find another woman instead. I can call off the wedding since it's not happened yet."

 

Kyungsoo carefully pulls herself back. She looks at Chanyeol's messy state before smiling and shaking her head. She takes his hands and holds them.

 

"Look. You made a mistake and so did I. How if we start over by forgiving each other?"

 

Chanyeol takes a breath before saying with a smile, "Sounds better."

 

Kyungsoo is pleased. She then adjusts her position by trying hard to stand up. She then bows politely, hands both on her stomach.

 

"Annyeonghasimnikka, Sajangnim? I'm Do Kyungsoo and I have worked for the past four years in Taste it! Nice to meet you."

 

Chanyeol does not argue instead he plays along with Kyungsoo. He then stands up and copy the act.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, Kyungsoo-ssi? Nice to meet you too."

 

They are standing facing each other feeling lighthearted. This is like the first time they met, without awkwardness, without burden, and far from pain and sadness. The sky is turning orange and the light of the sunset reflecting to the lake makes the scene between this "Adam" and "Eve" more gorgeously stunning.

 

"Kyungsoo..." Chanyeol's whisper sounds begging. Kyungsoo knows where he will go.

 

"I'm suffering hepatitis B Chanyeol. I have virus on my blood that can infect anyone especially my husband and children. And you are the last person I want to see suffering the same situation. You are precious and I'm going to kill myself if you're suffering because of me. And Park family needs healthy generations to continue the hard works of Taste it! right?"

 

"Doctor said I can take the vaccine and there is something that doctors can do to avoid our children having the virus. You also can get the treatments to lessen the virus and the effect. Can't we be less worried now and start to mend our relationship? Can't we try to face it together and get married?"

 

Silence.

 

"Soo, you told me that you loved me so much that it hurts. I love you more than you can imagine that it's killing me to not having you by my side."

 

The desperation in Chanyeol's voice nearly makes her melt and agrees to what Chanyeol asks her. But she thinks about Luhan and the engagement. This man has given hope to the pretty woman about marriage. They both are women. Kyungsoo can imagine the feeling to be dumped by a man because of another woman.

 

Kyungsoo steps forward and envelopes Chanyeol for the last time.

 

"You are a great man, Chanyeol. You take over your father's charm and personality. So I don't want to see a great man like you breaking promises and hurting woman's heart. You dated quite many girls in the past but I had never heard the news of you breaking their heart. So this time, keep yourself good, will you? For me?"

 

Chanyeol does not utter a word. He knows he could not do what Kyungsoo ask him but he also knows that this angel is right. They are embracing each other probably for the last time. They finally have a better closure than before. Even if they have to let each others go and live their own paths, the feeling will not be burdensome.

 

As for Chanyeol, he simply does not want to let this moment come to end. He does not want to let go of his adorable and lovable angel. He wants to hope that this will last forever. They are together and all happy.

 

"Noona."

 

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol disconnects their hug after hearing someone's voice not far from them. It is Myungsoo, Kyungsoo's younger brother.

 

"Chanyeol, we are good now. Promise me to be happy, alright? I haven't got a chance to congratulate you and Luhan properly. So, congratulation once again for your happiness. I'm sure Luhan will make you feel blessed more than I do. Just let me know the date of your wedding later and I promise I'll be there. Tell Luhan that I say hello. Nice to know her."

 

"Promise me you'll be good. Promise me you will be healthy because I do need you in my wedding."

 

Kyungsoo nods her head. "I have to go now. Annyeong."

 

Before she can step any further Chanyeol palms her face and kisses her on the lips in the most chaste way. It then moves to her forehead lovingly in the middle of the sun going down beautifully. They cannot ask for more heartwarming farewell than this. They are good. They will be good.

 

 

 

~