The Real Worry

Just Like Now

§§§§§

After studying at a coffee spot for a few hours Sehun rode the bus back home. He spotted Namjoo sitting at the kitchen table the very moment he opened the door. At the stove was his mother busy with food preparation and in the living room the TV blared, a sign that his father was watching the evening news if he wasn’t dozing off.

“Look who’s back?” his mother greeted with a tease. “I wasn’t sure my own son would be showing up for dinner. You’ve your head in your books way too much these days. Are you really my son?”

“Mom,” Sehun muttered closing the door. The woman smugly grinned in turn. “I’ll go put my books away then come down for dinner.”

“Good idea, I don’t want any books at the dinner table,” his mother commented.

Rolling his eyes Sehun walked by and could hear Namjoo scooting her chair back to follow him up the stairs. On his way up he saw that his father was indeed snoring away.

“Where’ve you been?” Namjoo curiously wondered at his back.

“I was reading,” Sehun replied setting his backpack down on the floor then turned to look at her. “By the way, you’re eating here tonight?”

Namjoo shrugged at this. “I was curious if you were in or not. Why are you studying so hard these days?”

“Didn’t I already tell you?”

“We still have a year left before we have to worry about that stuff,” Namjoo reminded as if he didn’t already know. “Why are you in such a hurry?” then she leaned up to shove her face into his, “Are you sick or something?”

Lashing his arm out he pushed her back. Namjoo literally stumbled back and knocked the back of her head into his door in the process. Clutching her head with both hands she groaned in pain.

“Are you ok?” he worried hurrying over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to push you that hard.”

“Forget it,” Namjoo pushed his hand away and straightened up. Rubbing her head she looked up at him, “I just wanted to come see if you were still alive since I haven’t seen you the past few days. Since you’re not dead yet, I’m going home.”

Without giving him a chance to add to their conversation Namjoo turned around and dashed off. He could hear her heavy footsteps all the way downstairs to the front door where she called out a farewell to his parents.

Snorting with a smile he wondered, “What’s wrong with her?”

§§§§§

It was good. It was all good. Namjoo breathed a sigh as she lay in bed that evening. A smile weaved itself onto her lips and she could only contain her emotions for a few seconds before rolling over onto her side giggling. Who could imagine that seeing Sehun for just a mere moment would have butterflies bursting through her entire being? So much glee poured through her she didn’t know how to handle it. This was the very first time she’d felt like this.

It simply went on like that for days then weeks which transitioned into months. As Sehun poured his energy into studying and preparing for college exams Namjoo focused on playing hard and reading in the nights, because even as she tried she would always be average. By the end of the year Sehun began topping exams leaving all the students in awe and shock. Namjoo was particularly caught off guard. That was when she realized he was serious about getting into Seoul National University.

When the end of the year approached she reached the resolution that she would do better her junior year in order to catch up to Sehun. If he wanted to go to Seoul National University, she would go there with him too. By the middle of the year Namjoo only managed to improve her grade by a mere 5%, not any better than she used to be. During summer break Sehun announced that he would like to go to the College of Agriculture and Life Science. He would major in Biological Engineering. As their parents cheered for him Namjoo felt as if she’d done something wrong. She hadn’t yet figured out what she wanted to do.

As the end of the school year approached Namjoo was forced to face the reality she didn’t want. Her scores weren’t good enough for her to get into Seoul National University and with no idea what major she wanted to go into, she would have to opt for another college – words from her advisor. During those days she felt nothing but hopeless. While everything had fallen in line nicely for Sehun she felt pathetic beside him, and even then she only saw him twice out of the seven days of the week. He had really gotten busy.

Then came senior year and the real preparations for college entrance exams. The entire year was stressful and nerve wrecking. Namjoo merely managed to pull off 5 hours of sleep per night as well as a 30-minute nap during class. And then they graduated. Namjoo didn’t know then that that was the real start of her life. A few years would feel like the span of a decade in her search for her happiness.

§§§§§

The atmosphere was giddy and full of celebration that evening. Namjoo nearly flinched in her seat when the champagne bottle popped open.

“Glasses up everybody!” Hyunwoo shouted. As everyone let out a roar of cheers and shoved their glasses his way Namjoo excitedly joined along. Once all glasses were full and everybody had returned to their seats Hyunwoo loudly exclaimed, “Congratulations to our Namjoo, who finally managed to pass her college entrance exam after the third try!”

Waving her hand slightly embarrassed but proud Namjoo grinned, “Please. You’re no better than me.”

Laughter erupted among them then Yunae spoke up, “She’s right. It doesn’t matter. At least you’re going somewhere.” Leaning forward in order to look at her she asked, “So, Namjoo, where did you apply again?”

“Hanyang University.”

“Not Ewha? Aww…c’mon, Namjoo,” one of the guys teased. “I was planning to come visit you on campus.”

He received a playful bump to the head from the girl beside him. “You’re always thinking about girls.”

Laughing Namjoo explained, “I thought about it, but I decided I wanted to go somewhere with men around too.” She received teasing from her high school mates and tried not to blush.

“Anyway, where’s Sehun?” Hyunwoo wondered.

“It’s been so fun without him I nearly forgot about that guy,” Yunyeong commented.

“Yea, who would ever think he’d miss out on his childhood friend’s big night,” one of them added.

“He must be cooped up with his studies,” Namjoo assured. Sehun, who had prepared extremely hard for his entrance exam, had passed on his first try and had attended Seoul National University that following year with head held high. Definitely everything had fallen into place very well for him while she had fallen behind every one of their friends. She had ended up the last to head off to college.

Right after graduation everyone had gone off in their own directions. Many of them remaining friends through social networking sites. Majority of them kept contact by phone, e-mails, and text. They were no longer that of hot blooded youths anymore, but on the path to maturing and becoming responsible adults. Namjoo felt like she still had a long way to go. She was living at home and jobless at that, but she had hopes she would get somewhere someday.

After bidding their good friends farewell she headed directly home in her black Honda, a graduation gift from her parents. She had immediately started driving it after getting her license and because she wanted to be of use to Sehun since he commuted to college. His father had moved down temporarily to Daegu after getting promoted. After training for a few years at the branch he and his wife would move back up to Seoul to unite with Sehun or perhaps he would go down there to join them once he attained his degree. The house next door had become empty, put up for sell. Sehun, instead, had come to live with them until he finished his studies.

That had been the greatest of news to Namjoo. The room next door had become his.

As Namjoo drove up to her house and the headlights shone upon the street she spotted a dark silhouette up ahead. Maybe it was Sehun she hoped, but as she turned into the driveway and stepped out she realized her hopes had been set too high.

“Hey,” it was Lee Chul. He’d grown extremely lean and tall in the time she hadn’t seen him after graduation. He nearly looked like a stranger now. It was only until recently that she heard Sehun talk about him and how he had interned at one of the largest firms of South Korea. Imagining him in a jet black and white suit was sure a shocking sight. Tonight he was in nothing but his usual jeans and shirt, that of his practical style back in high school. Namjoo could almost remember him running the streets like wild children after school in search of activities to fill up the time before heading home.

Everyone sure had grown up. Even Sehun had become beastly and tall in a way she hadn’t recall him becoming. It was a strange fact to sink in since she saw him practically every day. Since when had Sehun grown so much taller than her and his shoulders wider?

“Lee Chul?” she asked. This was the first time she’d seen him in person other than hearing about him. Bursting out with a hysteric laugh she smacked his arm, “Oh my god, it’s you! How have you been? I heard you got an internship, so what are you doing now?”

He laughed shyly as he rubbed his arm. His eyes appeared to twinkle in the dark when he spoke. “I’m studying at Konkuk and working part time.”

“Oh really? That’s great news!” Namjoo exclaimed. “I just met with the others earlier. If I had your number I would have called you up to join us.”

“It’s all right, I just got off work an hour ago.”

“You must be tired,” Namjoo sympathized then looked around, “why don’t you go in? Sehun might be in.”

“Actually I just wanted to stop by real quick,” he said and handed her the bag he’d been holding at his side. “I heard you passed your entrance exam. Congrats Namjoo. You made it.”

Namjoo glanced at the bag then up at him with a broad grin. “Thanks, Chul! You’re suddenly so considerate now, class president.”

Growing timid he rubbed the back of his head. “Then since I’ve seen you, I’ll go now. Good night, Namjoo.”

Namjoo waved happily as she watched him walk away then turned to head in. Silence draped the house as she entered. Her parents had already gone to bed. The pair had become a lot less menacing now that she was no longer a teenager. Namjoo had received nothing but their constant nagging about studying hard in order to get into college. Plenty evenings she grew annoyed at their suggestion of asking Sehun to tutor her then would go on to talk about how sorry they felt about even asking him because he was already a busy college student.

That didn’t matter anymore though. Now she was actually heading to college for real. Once she sat down at the kitchen table she pulled out the cheesecake Chul had gotten for her. Eyes mulled over it and began watering up.

“You can’t survive college life if you come home late every day.”

“Oh !” Namjoo jumped up in her seat surprised. Spinning around she spotted someone sitting in the dark of the living room. With some more staring she let out a grunt. “Damn you, Sehun. What the hell are you doing?”

Getting up to his feet he walked over and peered over her shoulder to get a glimpse of the cake. “Who got you that?”

“Don’t you know someone may be sitting with you if you stay alone like that?” Namjoo asked turning to see him sit down across from her.

“I’m not you, scared of ghosts and that other stuff,” Sehun stated reaching back to grab a fork out of the dish holder.

“What are you doing? The receiver should get the first bite,” she slapped his hand and received his stare of scrutiny. With a hiss of complaint, he leaned back in his seat. “Get me a fork,” she demanded. When he handed her one she immediately plunged into the cake savoring the burst of flavors on her tongue.

“Who got you the cake?” Sehun asked.

“Lee Chul.”

“Chul?” Sehun’s brows shot up surprised and he glanced behind her as if the friend might be standing there. “He was here? Why didn’t he come in?”

Namjoo shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Then you should have invited him. Know your manners, girl,” he tapped the fork against her head.

Namjoo let out a shout before screeching at him. “And since when did you get back? I thought you might have fallen asleep at the library.”

“I decided against it. I suddenly remembered tomorrow is laundry day and jobless girl does the laundry, so I came home to gather my clothes for you since I’m that nice,” he mocked with a smile.

Narrowing her eyes at him she made a face. “You’re jobless as well.”

“But I’m already in college and since you aren’t yet, you might as well make use of your days lounging around the house. Your mother would agree with me.”

“You’re not funny.” Namjoo said through gritted teeth.

Firmly smiling Sehun shook his shoulders, “Wasn’t aiming to be.” Getting up he tossed his fork into the sink, “You can wash mine too right?” As he walked by he tapped her head with a hand, “’Night, Joo.”

Namjoo grumbled underneath her breath. After stuffing the rest of the cheesecake into the fridge she headed up the stairs to her room. Sehun had gotten meaner or he had always been that way with her, she couldn’t remember. Swinging the door shut she slid over to her bed and frowned when she noticed that something had been stuffed underneath her blanket. Throwing the cover over she spotted a box. Sitting down she placed the box onto her lap and opened the top to discover money, each one folded up into origami bow ties with a cute ribbon tied to the center. Tucked in the corner was a glass jar filled with various inspirational quotes all handwritten on pretty printed paper.

Snorting happily Namjoo glanced up to look at the wall that separated her and Sehun. “Idiot.”

§§§§§

After turning the lights out Sehun dropped into bed. Namjoo’s footsteps were familiarly heavy, a sound he had long gotten used to. It had become quite simple for him to decipher her footsteps from those of her parents. When she closed the door to her room he turned to peer at the wall beside him knowing that she would have already found his congratulatory gift for her. He could very clearly see in his head that she was screaming over the money, would probably end up using all of it in the span of an hour. The corner of his lips pulled his mouth into a smile before he to his side for some sleep.

The next morning after grabbing a bite of breakfast he hurried out the door with Namjoo on his tail. She had frequently been sending him to school in the mornings. It was a more convenient method of escaping morning traffic. He had even teased that she’d become his personal chauffeur and that if she couldn’t get into college he’d pay her just to drive him around. Obviously it was a joke Namjoo abhorred.

“You scared now that you’re finally going to college?” Sehun asked during their morning drive.

“No. Why would I be scared?” Namjoo wondered nonchalantly.

“It’s not the same as high school. None of our friends go Hanyang University. You can’t expect to see familiar faces and the campus is bigger than high school. You’ll probably even get lost the first week there.” He could imagine it already. Namjoo scurrying across the paths panicked while searching for her classroom.

“I’m not an idiot. I’d at least expect that,” Namjoo mumbled.

“You sure you can survive?”

“What are you?” she turned to glance at him. “Worrying about me?”

“Why would I worry about you?”

“I don’t know,” Namjoo mumbled. “Why would you worry about me?”

Frowning, Sehun turned to look at her. Thankfully she pulled up to the front of his campus and he unstrapped his seatbelt. She stopped him midway, “Thanks, for the money. I appreciate it.” Sehun snorted happily before closing the door and waved as she drove off.

The further she drove away the smaller Sehun became in her rearview mirror. The thought of knowing that he was happy to hear her thanks made her insides explode with glee. Of course, she knew, he had been waiting for her to say it. Not that she knew, but perhaps she could say it was a kind of sixth sense she’d developed since they had grown up so closely together. Sehun could make fun of her as many times as he wanted, but she knew that whatever he said would never change the way he really felt about their friendship.

That was part of the world view she could never be sure about. They might be able to be friends for life, but was that all she wanted? After all this time her feelings from high school had never dwindled. Namjoo had honestly expected for her emotions to cool down, but it just hadn’t.

They were friends, yet she felt differently. Could she ever find the courage to tell him about her feelings? She feared his reaction. Would he become disgusted? Could Sehun even like her, ever have intimate feelings for her?

It wasn’t the right time. It just wasn’t the right time.

Before all else Namjoo wanted to become someone capable. She wanted to be independent and stand on her own. She wanted Sehun to see her as a strong and smart girl, not the foolish and naïve girl he had known all his life.

Late in the afternoon Namjoo found a parking space across from the library. Sehun had sent a text for her to pick him up. After waiting some twenty minutes she decided to get out and walk around. Sehun never made her wait long, not like this before. Namjoo wandered across the street and back and forth a few times amazed by the college life; how everyone walked their own way without caring about anyone else. Going further down the short path beside the library she literally felt her breath catch in when she saw Sehun conversing with a woman, his eyes b with interest and curiosity.

For the first time in a long time she was reminded of that day when she’d lost sight of him at Soojin’s birthday party. The menacing worry struck her stomach. It was suddenly the one thing she had forgotten to worry about.

What if Sehun found someone he liked?


***That was an unexpected time skip 0.0 but the real story starts now!