Tres

Quattuor

Melkyr.

 

“Jongdae!”

The boy looked at the direction of the sound, his eyes immediately met with a bundle of sunshine in the form of his childhood friend.

“Hey Luna,” he smiled, the corner of his lips curling charmingly.

The girl approached him with a letter in her hands, returning his smile with a blinding smile of her own.

“A letter has just arrived, it’s from King Robert of the West. I think it’s some kind of an invitation. I heard his son is searching for a bride,” the girl handed him the letter.

“Thanks Luna, I’m sorry I didn’t get to go to the border today.”

“It’s okay, no problem. Hey, is auntie and your brother okay?”

Jongdaesmiled a reassuring smile, answering his friend’s question that, yes, his mother and brother are okay.

Jongdae has been born to a loving, simple family in the village of the Ocean of the South. While he had an older brother and loving parents, he had been raised to be a wise and kind-hearted man. His father was the chief of the village, as well as his grandfather has been, and his great-grandfather has been. And while Jongdae has an older brother, his older brother shall be the next chief after his father.

But that didn’t happen. At the mere age of ten, Jongdae lost his father, and since his older brother was only thirteen himself at the time, his mother stepped up as the temporary chief of the village. His mother has always been a little weaker than the others, and the job of the chief seemed to have drained her out, and as the years passed by, she grew even more weaker, and has become sickly overtime.

His brother himself, has been diagnosed with some rare sickness since he’s small, so when his brother hits the legal age of seventeen, he didn’t step up as the village’s chief. Instead, when Jongdae reached seventeen, he was the one who stepped up as the village’s chief, substituting his mother. His mother and brother is now quite healthy and happy though, and the job as the village’s chief is not really a burden to Jongdae, so life lately has been good. Since, Jongdae have instead fallen in love with his job. He loves the village and he also loves the ocean, so he finds his job as a pleasure.

“I’m glad to hear that, they sure seemed more healthy and happy lately, I noticed. There’s more color to them now,” said Luna, breaking his train of thoughts.

“Yeah, I’m happy to know that they’re more happy now too,” Jongdae paused.

“Aren’t you going to go to teach today Luna?” He asked after remembering.

“Ah…. About that…. Well, we don’t have lessons today. The weather is nice and the kids have made great improvement so I told them to have the day off.”

Melkyr is a world full of magic, and the villagers of The South are blessed enough to be granted the magical ability of controlling water. Although it is not as grand as being able to make the whole ocean bend to their will, they do have some astounding skills that allows them to water the plants more easily by being able to lift water without touching them, and to turn the water into any kind of shapes that they want to, for decorating purposes sometimes.

Usually those with strong bloodlines have stronger ability to control water, and Luna is one of them. At the same age as Jongdae, she already teaches the children on how to use their magic. Jongdae has watched her magic since they were small, and he can never deny how beautiful his best friend’s magic is. She has been showing signs of her talent since the mere age of two, and Jongdae since then can’t help but dream of the time when he would be able to do magic too. But those times never come. Until the age of twelve years old, Jongdaestill doesn’t get any signs of having magical ability, and by the age of fifteen, he had long gave up dreaming about the many possibilities. He had learned to accept that he was born with no magical abilities. Which is actually a little strange since he’s born from a strong bloodline, and his mother and brother are astounding magical bearers, but he still doesn’t mind. Maybe he’s just different, he’s just different.

“Well, because you’re free, how about you be my secretary for today?” He grinned.

Luna sighed, before she found herself chuckling.

“Eyy, you’re so lazy Dae, sometimes I still find myself wondering how this prankster of a boy can be the village’s chief,” she laughed after seeing Jongdae’sunamused face.

“And to think this girl here is the one who cried in the middle of the night after having a nightmare about the ‘prankster of a boy’,” he sneered.

Luna gasped, a small blush tinting his cheeks.

“I didn’t okay! Don’t make things up,” she punched him lightly.

“You still can’t live without me anyway.”

The both bickered for a while, before it ended in a shared laugh, and then they found themselves sitting side by side, looking at the vast ocean that laid before them, the beautiful blue sky decorated with bits of clouds here and there hanging above the ocean, and hearing the calming sound of the crashing waves.

“Are there important letters you need to write?” Luna perked up after minutes of calming silence.

“So I guess you accepted my offer of being my secretary for the day?” Jongdae mused.

“Hey, I’m serious Dae. You don’t usually write letters you know, is there something wrong?”

“Well… I’m not sure.”

“Who’s the letter for?” The girl asked again.

“It’s for the council members.”

At this Luna furrowed her eyebrows. Her hunch was right, it really is going to be an important letter.

Melkyr is a world of one big land, divided into four parts. There’s The Forest of The West, where a big and beautiful kingdom lies in the middle of it, ruled by the wise King Robert and his wife Queen Selena. The two of them have three children, the oldest, Prince Leo, is a handsome man adored by all the kingdom. Following him is the twins, Prince Luca and Princess Lucy. The people of the kingdom are not bestowed with any specific magical abilities, unlike Jongdae and Luna’s village, but some witches do exist, who brews potions and medicines.

On the other side of the world there’s The Desert of The East, where a huge kingdom is also in the middle of it. On the outskirts of the Kingdom there can be seen the vast and never ending desert, and nobody lives in it. There are small cities outside of the main city that held the kingdom, but rare and usually quite hard to be reached. Some of the people in the kingdom are blessed with the ability to play with fire, although also not to a big extend where they can control big amount of it, nor can they produce it, so most of those blessed people use their ability for entertaining purposes. Aside from the ability of playing with fire, they also have some magical dances or musics that can control a bit of nature. The people of the kingdom are also blessed with amazing skills in arts and crafts, which results in their beautiful musics and dances, and their equally beautiful embroideries. Their people are usually tanned, and the kingdom is also filled with laughter and parties mostly all of the time. They are ruled by a happy and also wise Sultan, Sultan Maar.

A huge, glistening white mountain sat on the north, as The Mountains of The North, where the Snow People resides. The north area is always cold and frozen, the land covered by snow every each day of the year. There are not many Snow People, as they are quite a rare race with silky white hair, pale skin, and of course, beauty. Not many people can bear to stand the coldness of the area either, so they only have a total of five small villages and one central town. They are the kindest people, known to have long lives and sincere hearts. They are led by an old, wise woman, who have lived for more than a century. Whenever there are a breakout between the other parts of the world, they are never involved, and they also never meddle in another’s business. Although, they are still open for help, in a positive way, and would never use force to end a dispute. The people are known to have been bestowed by the magical ability to freeze and defrost water.

And then finally there’s them, The Ocean of The South. There’s no kingdom nor cities nor towns nor villages, but instead just one village, located by the edge of the beach. The residents are even smaller in number compared to the Snow People, and they are rarely seen most of the time, which results in the other parts seeing them as a mysterious side of the world.

The council is formed by all the leaders of the four parts of Melkyr and two others of their choosenrepresentation. Which means that Jongdae is a part of the council. Other than him, his mother and brother are the two representatives.

“It’s just a letter to state that my mother won’t be coming to the next meeting, and will be replaced by another representative. I was thinking of asking Mr. Li, what do you think?”

“Gosh you scared me I thought something bad happened,” Luna lightly punched Jongdae again.

Jongdae laughed, ruffling Luna’s chestnut hair.

“You’re becoming too paranoid my friend.”

 

 

It rained that night, despite the nice weather earlier, and Jongdae had to reluctantly cancel his plan to watch the stars that night. He was still contemplating about whether or not to accept the ball invitation from The West. The people of his village holds a very important secret that the other parts of Melkyr don’t know about. Which leads them to be a bit distant and silent towards the other three parts. Jongdae can be very rarely seen in parties or celebrations that the other parts hold, which makes him and his village look anti-social.

Fortunately the other council members are understanding, and it seems like their side have always been more distant and silent since even Jongdae’s great-great-great-grandparents’ age, so they don’t take the man’s action of not accepting their invitations as rude. Although, everytime there’s parties or celebrations, the other parts still always send him invitations and letters.

It’s not like he doesn’t come all of the time, he always tries his best to come at least once or twice a year to one of the bigger parties or celebrations. So sometimes he have to think over whether or not this ball is a huge occasion. But then again, because this ball’s purpose is to get Prince Leo a bride, then maybe he will get an invitation to a wedding ceremony this same year. Looking out the window and watching the droplets of water hit the clear glass that his mother had probably just wiped this morning, Jongdae decided that he’s not going to the ball. He’ll just come later when it’s the Prince’s marriage.

And then he picks up his feather, dipped it in the ink, and started to write a letter of greetings and blessings. He writes to the Prince, wishing him a fun night at the ball, and also for him to find his happiness there.

 

 


 

 

Sands.

 

A boy sat on a lone chair, the tiny wind blowing his fringe away from covering his eyes.

 

Sands.

 

He sat there with his eyes in slit, his legs numb and his hands getting pins and needles.

 

Sands all over.

 

He can feel the sand hitting his face along with the occasional wind, the sand hitting his neck, his chest, his shins, his ankles.

 

Why? Where?

 

Tiny whirlwinds started to come to life, swirling near his legs.

 

They grow, and grow, and grow.

 

Who am I?

 

The boy sat there, on a lone chair, in the middle of the desert.

 

He has nothing. Not even his memories.

 

Not even his name.

 

 

 

.....

Well, can you guys guess who the boy at the end is? *laughs awkwardly*

Anywaaaayy, do leave me comments guys! I'm getting quite lonely here :" oh and for all the subcribers thank you for subscribing! If you haven't please do subscribe haha I'll send you lots of love and (virtual) hugs!