In Conclusion,

This Dance

“Ohhh nooo.” Mina looked away quickly, staring down at the menu from which she was supposed to be picking her meal.

She saw Jihyo turning in her peripheral vision, and felt the oncoming moments before they happened.

“Hey Sana!”

Sana jumped, looking at the other girl, and Mina looked back up to catch Jihyo eagerly gesturing for Sana to approach. Just as Sana began obeying, Mina took a deep breath.

“Uh, Jihyo, I need to, uh, go to the bathroom. I’ll be back-”

Jihyo grabbed Mina’s arm before she could move, causing Mina to deflate back into her chair. Mina tried not to wince as Sana grew closer, glowing like an angel, with her huge doll-like eyes and her gorgeous hair and Mina was staring wasn’t she.

“Hey, Jihyo…” Sana said tentatively, eyes flickering to Mina just for a second as the latter girl’s pulse became poisonous again. “I uh, actually, I need to go to the bathroom...”

“Oh really?” Jihyo asked, and then she released Mina’s arm. “How coincidental, Mina just said the same thing! You can both go together.”

Mina blinked, staring at Jihyo and telepathically communicating that she was ready for her brilliant escape plan.

But obviously that didn’t work. “Um... oh,” Sana said, and Mina and Sana held eye contact for a whole few painful seconds before simultaneously looking away.

“I’ll be waiting right here,” Jihyo said, smiling.

“N-no, it’s fine, I don’t need to go right now,” Mina said, looking at Jihyo imploringly. Jihyo just looked at her, and then at Sana, and then Mina looked at Sana.

Sana was glaring at her.

And Mina never, ever wanted to see that again. In an instant she was standing, moving to the bathroom, hearing Sana follow, and once inside she quickly ensured that it was empty before wincing and turning to the blonde.

“Sana.”

“Why are you avoiding me?” Sana’s voice was harsh, to the point, and speaking in both girls’ mother tongue. That told her well enough how serious this conversation was. Mina opened to answer, but nothing came out.

“It’s okay if you don’t like me. Just tell me! Don’t treat me like this disgusting nuisance!”

“You’re not that!”

Mina stammered out the sentence before she knew what she was doing, and Sana stopped talking instantly. Her eyes were watery and her voice had been breaking, and the sound was making Mina’s heart break as well.

“I-it’s not that at all. I’m just so confused. I’m sorry, I never wanted to hurt your feelings.”

Sana scoffed. “What did you expect, pushing me away like that? I’m a person, you know. Did you think I’d just shrug it off and move on with my life?”

“I’m sorry. I was so selfish.” Mina wished tears weren’t threatening her eyes, just like she wished Sana would stop looking like that. “I don’t- I just, well- It’s not that-”

“You don’t need to try so hard. I get it. You’re not interested and you don’t want me in your life. Just Momo.”

“No!” Sana flinched at the sudden harshness. “Obviously I like you! I’m just so terrible at this I panicked and didn’t know what to do or how to talk or how to do anything and I screwed up!”

Sana blinked.

“I’m just an idiot, okay? I like you so much I’ve been so confused about what to do when you thought I liked Momo and I thought you liked Momo and in the end, no one liked Momo because we’re all just really stupid or something.”

Sana blinked again.

“And then you kissed me and it was so perfect and I was happy but then my brain just decided to switch off at the worst time and I didn’t like how my heart was beating and I just went into fight-or-flight mode without thinking about the really obvious consequences and you’re never going to be disgusting because you’re so beautiful and no one could ever dislike you-”

“Hang on!” Sana said sharply, and Mina stopped, breathing heavily as she looked at the girl. “So what you’re saying is that you like me, and I like you?”

Mina’s eyes searched the room, as if she’d see the answer. “Yes.”

“You’re telling me that we have mutual romantic feelings for each other?”

“Yes.”

“So, like, I have a crush on you, and vice versa?”

“Yes.”

“And we probably have since way back when we started competing for that dance?”

Mina smiled. “Yeah. I guess we’ve been doing our own dance since then. Even though we lost.”

“It was the stupidest dance ever. We both thought it was with Momo.”

Mina giggled nervously, staring at Sana like she was the sun. Or like she was Sana, and Sana was better than the sun.

“So… what now?”

“We become girlfriends?”

Mina smiled. “I like that plan.”

“Me too," Sana said, stepping forward and quickly kissing Mina on the lips, slower and gentler and realer than either of their earlier kisses. It ended naturally, and they stood close together, staring at each other in joyful wonder.

Locked in eye contact, Mina’s smile faded just slightly as she thought.

“You know, this problem had a much simpler solution than I’d thought.”


 

Holding hands, they left the bathroom together, happily approaching their table as Jihyo watched them. Or maybe side-eyed them was a better word.

“We worked it out!” Mina declared brightly, showing off their hand-holding.

“Took you long enough,” Jihyo said. “Now can we finally order?”


 



 

“How’d it go with Jungyeon?”

Mina’s smile was probably out of place, but she couldn’t really wipe it off her face. Nayeon glanced over at her, did a double take at Mina’s facial expression, and then took a deep breath.

“Pretty good. W-we're going to try dating for a while. What’s with your face? Do you wanna talk about Sana?”

“Oh, no, it’s fine. I just got that worked out.”

“Yeeaaaaaah?”

“We’re dating now too!” Mina said, doing a small dancing jig on the spot and then falling into her beanbag.

“What, you and Sana!?”

“Yes!” Mina squeaked. Startled, Nayeon made a frantic arm gesture to express herself.

“What even happened to Momo!?”


 



 

“D’you think this is cute?”

Mina glanced over at Nayeon, who held a skirt against her legs, head tilted at the reflection.

“Not bad. How much is it?”

Upon glancing at the price tag, Nayeon made a face. “Yugh. Never mind.”

Mina’s eyes picked out a couples’ set, two T-shirts with disgustingly sweet bits of text on them with arrows and considered buying thirty sets and wearing nothing but. Would Sana do the same? Probably. She smiled sheepishly at the thought.

“Myoui Mina!”

Mina turned around quickly, excited out of her mind to see Sana happening to be at the same clothes store. Her arms were outstretched before she knew it; she was hugging Sana before she knew it.

“Minatozaki Sana!” She greeted, distancing them slightly to better see her face, lifting her hands and moving strands of hair from her girlfriend’s face. “You look pretty.”

“Obviously,” Sana said, but her cheeks reddened and Mina couldn’t fail to notice it. Landing a quick peck on her girlfriend’s lips, Mina was in perfect heaven just for a moment.

“You know what, after that display, I deserve an unreasonably priced cute skirt.”

And so Mina had Sana, Nayeon had an unreasonably priced skirt, and to Mina, that was a pretty happy ending.


a/n- Endings are so hard! But what I wrote is sickeningly sweet to me, so I hope that means it's okay :)

Now, you may have noticed that I didn't explore Momo very much but that I also hinted she had stuff going on!! Thaaat's because I couldn't let this story or these characters go and I'm going to write a Dahmo sequel whoops. The foreword for that will hopefully be going up soon :) Hope you'll join me on that one as well! I love all you guys and this fanfiction was such a wonderful experience with no small thanks to you, my readers.