Hide and Seek

This Dance

The dance class stood tall and calm as Mr Park observed them.

“You all did well. But, ah… Dahyun, do you have a schedule after this?”

“No…”

“What about you, Momo?”

Mina’s eyes crawled their way to the older girl, standing in the row ahead of her. Momo turned slightly, looking at Dahyun. “Yeah, I do.” Her shoulders seemed to sag slightly, and Mina wondered if there was a tone of regret in her voice.

“Hmm. Mina?”

Mina jumped, looking back at the teacher. She hadn’t been expecting to hear her name, for some reason. Though there was a delicious joy in being named after Momo and before Minatozaki Sana.

“Um, no.”

“Good. Could you stay behind for a bit, give Dahyun some one-on-one training?”

“Al...right...”

Mr Park smiled, and fifteen minutes later everyone but Mina and Dahyun had left. They’d just stood there awkwardly for a second before getting to the practice, an uncomfortable distant sort of thing that paused when loud rustling sounds were heard in the distance.

“Was that a rat?” Dahyun had said, turning and looking around. Mina freaked out then, backing away from the area.

“Do we have any broomsticks or anything in here?” Mina said nervously as she looked around. A loud squeak sounded, and for a second Mina was convinced there really was a rat there until Minatozaki Sana came out of hiding.

“Don’t hit me, Myoui Mina!” She shrieked.

“Sana!” Dahyun exclaimed happily, and Mina’s mind went blank again. She looked away from the rival towards the door, wondering how to even start collecting her thoughts.

Why did she feel so weird once Sana was there? She was really going to need to work this out.

“What are you doing here!?”

“I-I was playing hide and seek. You guys just uh… didn’t realise. That’s all.”

“Oh,” Dahyun said. “You didn’t tell us.”

“You were supposed to work it out on your own!”

“Well how could we do that!?” Mina exclaimed, forcing herself to meet Sana’s eyes in spite of herself. She felt oddly queasy when Sana returned the look. Her skin tone was a shade of red brighter, extra noticeable with her blonde hair. “What were you really here for?”

“I-I just! That was it! Hide and seek!”

It was annoying that she wouldn’t just tell the truth. She was there to keep an eye on Mina and Dahyun. Mina didn’t know how she knew, or why it made so much sense, but it all just fit like perfect jigsaw pieces.

“I’m going,” Sana said with her fists clenched. She rushed out of the room, leaving Mina feeling like the air had gotten hard to breathe again.

“What… just happened?” Dahyun said confusedly. “Is she upset with me?”

“No,” Mina said. “She’s just… Minatozaki Sana.”

Stupid.

Mina didn’t know who she was directing that thought at – Sana or herself.


 



 

She was quiet on the couch, a hand dramatically strewn over her head as her eyes constantly peeked through fingers, at the closed door.

It was at almost the exact moment that the door opened that she made a loud, sad noise. Then, peeking again, she stopped. “Jihyo! Sorry, I thought you were Nayeon. Carry on.”

“Is everything alright?”

“Uh huh.”

“More Momo-Sana situations?”

“Uh huh.”

Mina heard the sound of Jihyo settling into the beanbag. “Tell me about it.”

Mina didn’t, at first. She wanted to, but first she needed to gather her thoughts, and that took a long time. And then she worked it out.

“Hey, Jihyo, you’re doing biology, right?”

“Um, yeah. As a minor.”

“So is there some sort of biology thing that makes your body or your brain think someone else is, like, yours? Like, for instance, if you… I don’t know… kissed them one time…”

Jihyo made a strange-sounding cough, strange because Mina was like 70% sure it was actually a laugh. “Uh, well, having a good kiss with someone can release a certain combination of hormones that will make you want to kiss them again. Sort of like an addiction thing. I don’t think that’s covered in biology though.”

“So I could be addicted to kissing her… but the kiss .”

“What, like, literally-”

“No not literally! Why do I even talk to you?”

“Because you love me,” Jihyo said with a bright smile. Mina sighed.

“I guess. I don’t think I’m addicted. I’m probably just sick.”

“Sure, Mina. You have the Sana Flu.”

“Who said I was talking about-”

“I mean the Nondescript Mystery Person Who You Have Kissed Flu.”

Mina grumbled as the door opened again, when she quickly returned to her position and moaned loudly again.

“Hey, Mina,” Nayeon said, walking inside closely followed by Jungyeon. “Jihyo, do you have 20 bucks?”

Jihyo dug into her pockets, removing the money and passing it over.

“Thanks. Bye, Mina.”

“You owe me.”

“I’m getting vengeance-!”

Nayeon shut the door, interrupting Mina’s speech. “Jungyeon’s stealing my best friend!”

“Sana’s been stealing hers.”

“You. Mean. Momo.”

“Uh, yeah, Momo.”

Mina stood, glaring at Jihyo and moving her arms akimbo. “I do not have a crush on Minatozaki Sana.”

“No, you just have a crush on saying her full name every single time for some reason.”

“I like Momo! What do I need to do for you to believe me?”

“Date her.”

Mina sighed as she moved to the hallway door, with new plans to lie down on her bed and commiserate with herself. “Maybe I will!” She exclaimed as she half-slammed the door, stopping it in time to gently latch it. She heard Jihyo’s laugh from the other room at the door shenanigans and smiled a little bit to herself.

And then her smile dropped as she turned and moved up the stairs. What was even happening in her life at this point? She wasn’t keeping up.


a/n- that was a bit more than a day, wasn't it? Hopefully you can forgive me :D